Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

mushroom_spore posted:

Not that I've played druid, but my understanding is that you simply have to be wearing a wooden object rather than a ban on metal. It's just that for humanoid characters that's probably limited to a staff, at least for now. Most animals have an alternate wooden item that enables druid abilities though, like spider harness or wooden shoes; I haven't heard anything about druid animals being unable to equip (though obviously not properly wield) swords or anything.

I just logged in and tested it. I equipped druid and the moment I equipped a sword, beaker, instrument (not sure about lute), or hammer that wasn't a club, all my skills went grey. Mouse over the skills say I don't have the right equipment (wooden)

Not sure about other animal forms. I know that being a crow cuts down your damage to 10% normal for a damage mitigation of some kind. If you want to be a druid/cow you'll definitely have to wear wooden cow shoes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah there's nothing wooden you can wear as a human other than a wooden bow or wooden staff.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Plus, clubs. Druid/Hammer was interesting when I did it last but I'd rather not do it again. Maybe it's that I wasn't gearing for Druid but it just seemed like the skills were lacking oomph.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Right, but if humans ever get idk a wooden belt buckle or something, as far as I know you'd be fine to wear that and wield all the swords you want. :)

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
No. Wearing a wooden shield doesn't grant the ability. It's not that you have to have wood on you to enable the skills, it's that a non-wood weapon forbids it.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Weird, cause that's not how stuff like the spider harness claims to work. :iiam: But then again like I said, never tried it for real, just seen spider harness item descriptions.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Inimicul posted:

Shields and bows go in off-hand. Battle Chemistry has items that can go in either primary or secondary. Everything else is primary.

Don't forget Psychology and Mentalism which can also be used primary/secondary.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Those don't have required focus items. You can use those with anything.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Inimicul posted:

Those don't have required focus items. You can use those with anything.

Right. I must have misunderstood the question. I thought he was looking for skills that could be used offhand in conjunction with a primary of choice.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Hum... do Battle Chemistry or Necromancer's offhand disable Druid?

Can you use any skills with Battle Chemistry offhand?

I guess Fire Magic's offhand doesn't let skills work.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Ruggan posted:

Right. I must have misunderstood the question. I thought he was looking for skills that could be used offhand in conjunction with a primary of choice.

Ah, I see what you mean. Since all the posts about that one were about druid, that's what I figured we were still talking about.

Evil_Greven posted:

Hum... do Battle Chemistry or Necromancer's offhand disable Druid?

Can you use any skills with Battle Chemistry offhand?

I guess Fire Magic's offhand doesn't let skills work.

I don't have a necro off-hand on me at the moment but I tested shield, bear claw, and splash beaker just now. Seems like no off-hand item locked me out of using druid skills.

Except being a deer. For some reason I can't be a deer druid.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

Except being a deer. For some reason I can't be a deer druid.

You'll need wooden deer shoes.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Wow, I've gotta say, I'm enjoying this game, even very early on. It looked janky and old as poo poo but man, I dig it a lot. Then again I really enjoyed Wurm. The only the thing that drove me away was getting burnt out on how slow the skill grind was.

Edit: Is there a squad that plays this, maybe using mumble? I'm Jethromancer ingame. Werewolf/Psych

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 10, 2016

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I just joined

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I installed the game and then wanted to reinstall in a different folder so I deleted all the PG folders. But now when I go to install the game again, it doesnt actually install anything and just says "All Done!"

Has anyone ran into this before?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I've seen threads about it on their support forums. I'd suggest checking there.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I got bored and created a GOONS guild. I'm pretty active again so I figured this game needed another chat tab.

Since inviting is hard, keep an eye out for me if you want an tag.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Joined in yesterday. This game is quirky as hell and I love it. If you see Erev running around say 'hi'.

For those just getting into it - the tutorial island is ten times better if you are running around with a group of knuckleheads.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'll be playing quite a bit more once they put it on Steam, it will help with the lower population. Can't wait.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Once you get off the island, the population is quite healthy. Serbule is always full and I have even had to fight for spawns lately if I'm doing something like cutting wood north west of town.

They tweeted that the next update will have guild storage too.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Trying to learn Mentalism, but dont know how to get these gift items. Any help? IGN: Mugaaz

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mugaaz posted:

Trying to learn Mentalism, but dont know how to get these gift items. Any help? IGN: Mugaaz

Gems come from surveying, flowers come from foraging/gardening (strange dirt/fertilizer required), drugs are alchemy crafts. Or you can buy them secondhand from relevant vendors/other players.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

mushroom_spore posted:

Gems come from surveying, flowers come from foraging/gardening (strange dirt/fertilizer required), drugs are alchemy crafts. Or you can buy them secondhand from relevant vendors/other players.

So basically I need to level something else? Every skill seems like you need to do 5 other things first.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mugaaz posted:

So basically I need to level something else? Every skill seems like you need to do 5 other things first.

mushroom_spore posted:

Or you can buy them secondhand from relevant vendors/other players.

You really should have at least one "income" skill unless you just plan to grind/sell combat drops like a fiend and ignore food, etc. vendors but no you are not meant to be self-sufficient and have every skill maxed. With the way devs talk about the difficulty of reaching final skill cap, the people who are dead-set on maxing every single skill are going to have a very bad time. :v:

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

mushroom_spore posted:

You really should have at least one "income" skill unless you just plan to grind/sell combat drops like a fiend and ignore food, etc. vendors but no you are not meant to be self-sufficient and have every skill maxed. With the way devs talk about the difficulty of reaching final skill cap, the people who are dead-set on maxing every single skill are going to have a very bad time. :v:

Don't want to max every skill man, just wanted to be able to use mentalism as my combat skill. Eventually figured out how to do survey/geology to get gems to raise rep.

I'm using unaramed/mentalism now, but unarmed seems kind of garbage to me so far. How does it compare to spider/mentalism, that sounded pretty neat.

Mugaaz fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 25, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I assume you've been following the wiki on how to do stuff?

Edit: I don't remember if Echur makes you do the favors first or if he'll teach you after showering him with enough drugs instead.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 25, 2016

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mugaaz posted:

I'm using unaramed/mentalism now, but unarmed seems kind of garbage to me so far. How does it compare to spider/mentalism, that sounded pretty neat.

Unarmed is, to my knowledge, quite good. Spider is also good. They're just good at very different things. :eng101: I don't think there are any garbage combat skills, not really, as long as you remember that each has different strengths and a different role; if you approach it thinking "this one does 3 more damage so the other one is worthless" you're really missing out. Sword, for example, controls enemy rage, while Staff (especially with its support skill Hoplology) has more defensive strengths.

Unarmed is primarily various forms of crowd control first and DPS second, while spider is glass cannon DPS with minimal crowd control abilities. I main spider/mentalism myself, you'll essentially be a squishy wizard/priest if you go that route. Since spider is almost all DPS you should use mentalism mainly to fill in the gaps and play to spider's strengths: pain bubble and the various restoration AoE powers get lots of extra mileage the more people are in your group, and that includes your spider pets. Mentalism also has single target heals, which auto-target you if you just mash them in an emergency without having a party member selected, so that's nice.

Now that I have the gear mods for it I do have a couple of mentalism's ranged attacks on my bar (one of which has a mod that gives it a chance to stun, which goes well with spider's stun), and spider's got a mean armor-killer ranged attack too, but you'll still want to close to melee if the situation needs/allows. Spider in melee may be squishy, but it hurts.

A more major difference is that being an animal will lock you out of using some combat skills and talking to some NPCs, but nothing you can't easily live without if you're willing to travel slightly further to do all your selling, for all that people piss and moan if they can't talk to Marna. :v: It's even less important now that Animal Town's been added in Sun Vale. You should still have some poo poo ready before you take the plunge though, probably the most important is 5 bronze coins so you can immediately unlock the banker NPC after becoming an animal.

Inimicul posted:

Edit: I don't remember if Echur makes you do the favors first or if he'll teach you after showering him with enough drugs instead.

I don't think any quest in the game is actually mandatory, they're just alternate favor boosts.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 25, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm investing in druid and staves or hammer, haven't decided yet. because the final game is going to have skills up to 125, I mean we can already fly around so I wonder where they can go from there. It really seems like Druid is going to be the equivalent of Jedi from Galaxies, lots of responsibility and work going into it, but it seems to pay off.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
one of the notice boards for work orders had the trophy panther skin one, its 26.5k gold for 10 trophy panther skins, and you get zillions of them from mulching cats in the snow zone.

I bought like 10 of them im gonna put in storage if anyone wants one.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

hakimashou posted:

one of the notice boards for work orders had the trophy panther skin one, its 26.5k gold for 10 trophy panther skins, and you get zillions of them from mulching cats in the snow zone.

I bought like 10 of them im gonna put in storage if anyone wants one.

I will happily take one. I found a drop for 10 trophy rhino skins. I laughed but kept it anyway. I pretty much live in Sun Vale but have only ever gotten one trophy rhino skin.

Guild storage sounds like a great place to dump things like that. Also, low level USEFUL gear. My alts have people and yellow gear I've out grown but can't bring myself to salvage or sell.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Inimicul posted:

I will happily take one. I found a drop for 10 trophy rhino skins. I laughed but kept it anyway. I pretty much live in Sun Vale but have only ever gotten one trophy rhino skin.

Guild storage sounds like a great place to dump things like that. Also, low level USEFUL gear. My alts have people and yellow gear I've out grown but can't bring myself to salvage or sell.

is guild storage in yet?

I sort of finally wrapped my head around the combo system.

I have gear that lets me do two fire magic combos at the same time, both ending in fire breath, one grants AOE +damage and the other adds a stun, so I can AOE stun nuke large groups by doing the two combos at once

ETA:

also, since forever i've been using 230 armor redwall pants and shirt with pockets, but its become legacy gear and is going away in like a week

do you know if there's still really high armor redwall gear that's staying in the game?

I guess if i went to actual fire magic gear for shirt/pants i could get more dmg and stuff but ive gotten pretty used to relying on it for survivability.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 28, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Guild storage is not in yet but he's teasing it on twitter. Since the updates are roughly once a month, it shouldn't be but another couple weeks or so.

I've been grinding Cow up to 60 and am starting to think it may be overpowered. It seems like every piece I get has a mod to Tough Hoof so I've been trying to stack the poo poo out of it. Just a few more pieces of gear to find and I'll put that theory to the test.

I'm not sure what it is about this game that I enjoy so much. The graphics aren't amazing. The combat isn't ground breaking. The gear grind is convoluted at best. Why the hell is it so much fun?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I'm low 20 unarmed/mental right now. Where should I go for getting better loot? What about if I just wanted exp?

Also, does improved skill in my combat abilities actually do anything intrinsically, or just through unlocks?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mugaaz posted:

I'm low 20 unarmed/mental right now. Where should I go for getting better loot? What about if I just wanted exp?

Also, does improved skill in my combat abilities actually do anything intrinsically, or just through unlocks?

Goblin Dungeon for both. Only unlocks, though Unarmed gives cross-skill bonuses to endurance which are really handy

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Mugaaz posted:

Also, what's your character name in game? I may have some gear in that level range to give away.

Keep an eye out for Inimicul

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Inimicul posted:

Also, what's your character name in game? I may have some gear in that level range to give away.

Keep an eye out for Inimicul

Thanks, IGN is Mugaaz.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Whenever I log in, I try to do a "/who all" and see if there's anyone else out there with <GS> in their About field. That's how we used to be able to find each other before guilds were put in. Even now with the guild, it's hard to tag people unless you're able to click on the person.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm going to try playing tonight, been so busy for the past 2-3 nights I haven't been able, but if you're tagged as <GS> I'll get in touch, I'm around the 20-25 area but I'm also powerleveling myself through staff/hammer combat since I recently became a druid.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Guilds are a bit more interesting now. :D

Also, patch day today. Many changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Im not sure I really recommend this game anymore.

For a few months now the developer (one guy) has been obsessed with 'making combat take longer' and its progressively hosed the game up worse and worse.

Big patch today made all the bad stuff even worse than before.

It's a fun game to screw around in for a while, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it to get any better over time, or more fleshed out in an interesting way.