Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Geb
The Sun
Strength
Horus
Grey Tower
Tenor Sax
Wheel of Fortune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Tower of Gray resembles a beetle, Strength takes the "Superior" form of whatever it's currently latched onto, Yellow Temperance is just a blob, the Emperor's a gun, Wheel of Fortune is basically the same as Strength, the Sun's a sun, Geb is water, Thoth is a book, Khnum is literally Oingo's face, Bast looks like an electrical socket, and Tenor Sax is just the ability to create illusions.

Also, both Iggy and Pet Shop's stands look like weird versions of the animals they are.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I am confused by all of this.

How is this chronologically related to Stardust Crusaders?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SweetBro posted:

Going by Jotaro's age, it happens 11 years later, as Jotaro goes from 17 to 28.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blaze Dragon posted:

Going by Jotaro's age, it happens 11 years later, as Jotaro goes from 17 to 28.

Of course he looks exactly the fuckin' same if not younger.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Iggy's Stand might be my favorite designed Stand of Part 3, that thing is just loving wild

SweetBro posted:

Stardust Crusaders was 1988, Diamond Is Unbreakable is Spring of 1999

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Funky Valentine posted:

And he keeps getting younger lol

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't have the link on hand, but Araki has confirmed in an interview that the Hermit Purple we see Dio using in Part 3 is actually Jonathan's "Stand," or would have been had he lived. The fact that both Joseph and Jonathan would've shared a stand is the main thing lending credence to the theory. It also explains how Dio knew exactly what to watch out for when dealing with Joseph: he couldn't use Hamon, but he had an understanding of how Hermit Purple operated. Compounding this, in the official VIZ translation at least, Sendo, the art of actually using Hamon, is known as "The Way of the Hermit."

It also means that the World is Dio's stand and not Jonathan's, as is sometimes speculated.

The thing about Johnathan and Joseph's stand is that it was already established that relatives can have similar stands (see the two D'arby's). So it doesn't necessarily relate to Hamon.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The thing that gets me is that Jotaro apparently hasn't used his powers at all since fighting Dio. If I had a punchghost that could stop time I'd be using it for the trivial-est poo poo all the drat time!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

El Hefe posted:

You have to remember who's behind this manga. We, as humans, understand the concept of aging, but for Araki is a foreign thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Superstring posted:

The thing that gets me is that Jotaro apparently hasn't used his powers at all since fighting Dio. If I had a punchghost that could stop time I'd be using it for the trivial-est poo poo all the drat time!

well, it IS something that takes a lot out of a person. it was necessary in part 3 because he was going up against a vampire who had the same ability, but once that's over with there's not much that time stop can do that star platinum can't basically do anyways, like picking up koichi with light speed after bumping into him at the beginning. like, the only reason dio could use it for 10 'seconds' is because he was a vampire. there was no way jotaro could do it for that long, because even if he is who he is he doesn't have the fortitude that an undead being does. 5 seconds was basically his limit, and since he didn't have a reason to use it for much, if anything at all, after dio was killed i can only imagine he fell out of training. which kind of ties into why joseph is so old and unable to easily make a trip to morioh, because he's lazy as gently caress and didn't keep up with training his magical bullshit immortality life magic.

also on the other discussion, yeah, there's plenty of non-humanoid stands. they can take basically any form, with a pretty hard rule that the stand's range is directly tied to its relative 'power' if the user wants to have any real control over it. there's plenty of weird, niche stands that have incredibly specific powers especially once you get out of stardust crusaders, because it isn't until diamond is unbreakable when araki starts to actually explore what stands can do.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Any stand which can be physically seen by normal people is "possessing" a physical object. So Strength was a lovely little boat that became an oil tanker, Wheel of Fortune turned a car into a killer muscle car, we see Ebony Devil's "true form" for like 1 second when Devo is provoking Polnareff to beat him up, at which point he then puts his stand into the puppet (he presumably had the doll custom made for maximum lethality once possessed, but theoretically he could posses anything). Anubis is just a malicious spirit inhabiting the sword.

Maybe Thoth turned a normal comic book or takeout pamphlet into the comic.

But don't think about it too hard. This is Jojo. Araki can ignore this if he feels like it and it's totally fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Accordion Man posted:

Not to mention Ripple only really works effectively on vampires and DIO was the last surviving one.

Remind me: can the Ripple heal? Because that would explain how the group manages to stay healthy during Part 3.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

El Hefe posted:

Alessi! :argh:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Remind me: can the Ripple heal? Because that would explain how the group manages to stay healthy during Part 3.

It healed Jonathan's broken arm, yes.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Avdol was cauterizing everyone's horrible wounds.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SDC actually crosses the year boundary. It starts in 88 and ends in 89. I think that's based on supplemental info and a retcon though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part 3 just kinda has everyone magically getting better between fights, but from Part 4 onward there's almost always someone with a healing stand on duty, or something that doubles for it, which is great because Araki uses it to justify everyone getting even more messed up.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Kakyoin looking down from heaven, pissed that other people are getting holes punched through them but they get to live.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also i know ED discussion is the worst but it should probably be mentioned that smashmouth isn't under WMG's license. barenaked ladies' one week however, is

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Butt Ox posted:

It healed Jonathan's broken arm, yes.

Hamon can restore the user's vitality, but I don't think it's ever shown as able to heal other people. Zepelli specifically notes that he didn't heal Jonathan's arm, he just forced Jojo to begin breathing properly and heal himself.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Conversation's kind of moves on, but re: Joseph being lazy, I can totally see him being like "why should I bother perfecting my Hamon when the Nazis have invented portable UV lighting?"

Someone give me a comic where his robot hand turns into in a mega-man UV gun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1pUpF7L-uQ

15 second episode 2 preview

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/hirohiroki1220/status/717558595164856321

i hope the lovely performance of bvs doesnt in any way effect warner japan :ohdear:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

e: Link is working now, weird stuff.

Take this photo of my friend instead.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

yes, zepelli says he first encountered hamon when he met a mysterious healer. aside from its vampire killing properties, it's mainly a healing art for humans

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So basically it's like those old RPGs where recovery items and magic were effective against undead monsters then?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Race Realists posted:

https://twitter.com/hirohiroki1220/status/717558595164856321

i hope the lovely performance of bvs doesnt in any way effect warner japan :ohdear:

Nah, it wouldn't. Most of the investment was made by headquarters in America.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

ChaosArgate posted:

So basically it's like those old RPGs where recovery items and magic were effective against undead monsters then?

Actually yeah

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki said™ he wrote Stardust Crusaders to be like an RPG game so RPG game logic playing into early JoJo too is very likely.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It's interesting to think about those old 80s & early 90s fantasy settings and rpgs. There are a lot of themes and stuff that carries into today but there is a lot of stuff that changed just because perceptions changed.

Like you'd see those old games where your class is Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, and Elf?? Isn't that a race?

Some stuff changed just out of modern convenience and accessibility, but you can still look back at some odd notions of how the creators thought their fantasy world should work.

Jojo is a lot like this in retrospect.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The influence D&D had on the fantasy genre in general is pretty insane.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

We have less then 24 hours until we finally learn the ED for Diamond is Unbreakable.

Get your final guesses in, people. Remember it 1) Has to be on the Warner Brothers label, and 2) Is from the late 90s, according to Crunchyroll's twitter.

EDIT: As I made this post, this began to trend on Facebook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Rvzj4zJ6w

IT'S A SIGN.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You know what...fine...for whatever it is worth, I guess Smash Mouth for real.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm hoping it's Flaming Lips, which would work really well for the psych-y colour choices.

it's also the only band signed to WB that I can think of off the top of my head :v:

Edit: Also remembered Gorillaz, Clint Eastwood would be baller as gently caress that was released in 2000

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 7, 2016

Vel
Jun 7, 2014

Dexie posted:

We have less then 24 hours until we finally learn the ED for Diamond is Unbreakable.

Get your final guesses in, people. Remember it 1) Has to be on the Warner Brothers label, and 2) Is from the late 90s, according to Crunchyroll's twitter.

Californication, final answer.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The ED will be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emGri7i8Y2Y

Except that's 2001, oh well.

Actually, no, Fat Lip.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna bet on any song featured in Crazy Taxi.

I don't know who owns those songs but I don't care

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kinda like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKtm45ux4M

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-pUl7S93zI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm quite fond of this one. Too bad the song isn't in the right era.

• Locked thread