Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Mitchell Pearce was actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pearce was good, and so was Milford behind a losing pack. Maloney was excellent but I think that NSW can thank their goalline defence for that win. For the first time in years they defended on their line successfully repeatedly and got the result. The win was sealed with three tries in ten minutes or so; without that it was an arm wrestle and the spirit of the team to dig in was a wonderful change.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Where are all the Queenslanders crying out about the NSW conspiracy??

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Give them time to sober up and remember how to use a keyboard

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

All ive seen today is people unhappy with oneil, myles and to a lesser extent thaiday.

Not a lot of whinging in my fb feed tbh.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The only major problem nsw had was a terrible habit of pointless bombs with no pressure being applied. Get that out of the system and the rest was great.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Goes to show that as more of the old guard retire/are injured, Qld look more and more vulnerable. Wouldn't be surprised if NSW have a golden period in the next few years.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Oh man what a disaster, at least such a fuckup will hopefully inspire Kev to clean out some garbage and wake up I guess

If JT isn't back we need to bring in DCE, he can kick and defend unlike Milford and we can't win if Cronk is being crushed all game because he's the only last tackle kick option. I don't give a gently caress if DCE has looked lost in previous origins anymore, he'd still fit right in with the team that turned up last night. Smith made some nice kicks in the first half but he looked off for most of the game which was disturbing.

O'Neill has to go, Gagai was immense and it's tempting not to mess around but I think he shifts to centre, Boyd to wing and Slater to fullback. Alternatively Valentine Holmes, if Kev insists on not playing the greatest fullback of all time

Myles is old and soft and got absolutely run over in the middle, gave away stupid penalties and offered nothing in attack. Wallace surely must come straight in to replace him? Papalii should be an impact prop along with Napa with Wallace and Lillyman starting. Hess should seriously be considered over Guerra as an impact bench player as well, even Cooper.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gagai should be at centre, yes, it's his preferred position

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Gagai should be at centre, yes, it's his preferred position
Slater at fullback, Boyd on the wing and Gagai at Centre is lot more dangerous

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Also if last night was any indication of how Teddy will play in a quality team he's a first pick buy for me next year in fantasy at the Roosters

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

Also if last night was any indication of how Teddy will play in a quality team he's a first pick buy for me next year in fantasy at the Roosters
indeed

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

He already was for me this year, he's one of the only tigers that does anything at all

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

He already was for me this year, he's one of the only tigers that does anything at all
yeah he's the best back in fantasy

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

cpaf posted:

Oh man what a disaster, at least such a fuckup will hopefully inspire Kev to clean out some garbage and wake up I guess

If JT isn't back we need to bring in DCE, he can kick and defend unlike Milford and we can't win if Cronk is being crushed all game because he's the only last tackle kick option. I don't give a gently caress if DCE has looked lost in previous origins anymore, he'd still fit right in with the team that turned up last night. Smith made some nice kicks in the first half but he looked off for most of the game which was disturbing.

O'Neill has to go, Gagai was immense and it's tempting not to mess around but I think he shifts to centre, Boyd to wing and Slater to fullback. Alternatively Valentine Holmes, if Kev insists on not playing the greatest fullback of all time

Myles is old and soft and got absolutely run over in the middle, gave away stupid penalties and offered nothing in attack. Wallace surely must come straight in to replace him? Papalii should be an impact prop along with Napa with Wallace and Lillyman starting. Hess should seriously be considered over Guerra as an impact bench player as well, even Cooper.

Corey norman would be better than dce.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

bowmore posted:

Slater at fullback, Boyd on the wing and Gagai at Centre is lot more dangerous

Agreed with this. They're really missing Inglis causing chaos at centre and Gagai can fill that role to a respectable degree. Plus like 157% of Boyd's best Origin games and all his tries plus all tries in alternate timelines and futures come when he's on the wing.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Corey norman would be better than dce.

Normz's definitely in better form right now (barring injury), but he isn't nearly as good defensively, and if last night was any indication we don't have the luxury of dedicating a Tonie Carroll to protect a Darren Lockyer anymore. The NSW forward pack has been dominant for a long time and just a single game without the likes of Matt Scott and we get crushed

Two second rowers and a utility on the bench doesn't help things either I guess

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think holmes, hess, wallace and slater should come in at the very least.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Please make wholesale changes, Queensland. Nsw have proven in years gone by how good a tactic that is.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Please make wholesale changes, Queensland. Nsw have proven in years gone by how good a tactic that is.

I don't think wholesale changes are needed and I definitely don't think you can expect them from Walters. The only changes that should be made are the completely obvious ones that people were screaming for when the team was originally announced, such as maybe even putting the greatest fullback of all time in the team

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Billy the kid wouldn't have saved us the other night. We got hosed up the middle.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Whole sale changes arent needed but you can plug guys from certain teams into the qld team in some instances either than you can to the nsw team.

I'd drop O'Neil move Dane Gaiguy to centre and put Boyd on the wing. That allows Slater into the full back role.

JT comes in for Milford at 6. Wallace from the titans comes in for Nate Myles and Coen Hess comes on to the bench as does Kafusi for lillyman and Guerra.

Guerra I think was underrated on wednesday night and hes better in attack than hes given credit for but hes not better than hess in that area and Kafusi is more of a punishing runner than lillyman.

Slater at fullback does more than give you just another guy to.make a tackle in defense. Hes a brilliant communicator and reader of the opposition play.

Why qld can plug guys in a little easier in this instance is that hess, and kafusi play in a similar scheme defensive as at club level and if gives you better options in short plays when attacking because of the club combination.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
getting pumped

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
This Slater kid looks alright, might be a smoky for origin selection in the future

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

This Slater kid looks alright, might be a smoky for origin selection in the future
lol

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I keep forgetting we are the Crazy Clarks of the NRL

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

oh look the greatest fullback of all time who didn't make the almighty origin team scored a try and did so handomsely

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Warriors: "We defend like turnstiles!"

Moses: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

To be fair, we shouldn't be too hard on Newcastle. This was a quick turnaround game after state of origin so obviously they suffered as a result.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We are also like 3 million under the cap

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

bowmore posted:

We are also like 3 million under the cap

Fiscally responsible is the most un-rugby league thing ever.

You're supposed to be mysterious amount over the salary cap at all times.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm sure they'd like to be

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Up at Townsville for the weekend and was walking the waterfront only for JT to cycle past with one of his kids. Felt slightly surreal.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We scored points!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Decent view

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011

iajanus posted:

Up at Townsville for the weekend and was walking the waterfront only for JT to cycle past with one of his kids. Felt slightly surreal.

If you really want to meet JT, head to the Mad Cow after the game

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

First time I went to townsville i met jt on a golf course.

Havin a hack with me mates this dude starts driving toward us on his golf buggy. He goes "sorry fellas, but you haven't seen a pair of sunnies around have ya? Me mate benny has lost 'em"

Few seconds later ben hannant comes over.

Nice couple of blokes. His laugh is just as good irl.

I got in a lift a few years ago with David Klemmer dude is a mammoth human being. Sam thaiday bummed a light off me around 10 years ago too.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
dogs lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lol dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
lol dogs indeed. Lichaa and Mbye are both disastrously bad players.

Here's a bizarrely touching story of a 1-game Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZCimA--0-o&t

• Locked thread