Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which one will happen first
This poll is closed.
The Warriors drop a game 5 11.36%
Klay scores more than 15 points in a game 17 38.64%
Lebron admits his own mortality 7 15.91%
The Lakers draft Ball 15 34.09%
Total: 44 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The Slim Reaper though.

that's like the best nickname of all time.

And it was just gift wrapped to him.

Kevin is body conscious. He knows that beauty can be found at any weight but as much as he tries to work through it he can't let go of his mental hangups and the feeling he is Less Than because he is not as beefy as the other boys. Please respect that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Spring Break My Heart posted:

in what way is it like that.

Idk if you saw the game just now. You may be in the wrong thread

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/dailysnark/status/871556996830564352

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

E2M2 posted:

I mean it's Oakland

10, maybe 20 actual oakland residents at the game lol

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

All the Celtics were over 30 and just beginning the downhill side of their career when they switched teams, same with Barkley.

Was Lebron the first guy in his absolute prime (26) to switch teams onto a superteam?

Still going with "he deserves this"

lebron didnt switch onto a superteam. he created one. so no, kevin durant was

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

did bosh transfer some heretofore unknown playoff win equity to the heat right before lebron joined

did bosh give them an extra 30 wins
bosh was a borderline top 10 player and an important part of why they immediately became huge favourites even when no one could name their other 2 starters. its not a criticism of lebron, its just part of why they were considered a superteam

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Spring Break My Heart posted:

bosh was a borderline top 10 player and an important part of why they immediately became huge favourites even when no one could name their other 2 starters. its not a criticism of lebron, its just part of why they were considered a superteam

i dont think you get what i was trying to say and yes im very aware of how good chris bosh is

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

You guys are hosed. Durant did not join or form a super team. He left his own good team to join a team that set the NBA loving RECORD FOR WINS and was one three pointer away from being the greatest single season team ever. If Kobe joined the 2008 Celtics it wouldn't be as bad. There are no comps because no one ever did this. Ewing didn't join the 1996 Bulls. Dr. J didn't join the 79 Blazers. Webber didn't join the 2001 Lakers.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was that a fight

sorta? https://streamable.com/ei3oo

haha JR steps in to protect lebron

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

i dont think you get what i was trying to say and yes im very aware of how good chris bosh is

I knew Bosh was a good (great?) player and all but I really always thought of that team as the big two + Chris Bosh

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

BWV posted:

You guys are hosed. Durant did not join or form a super team. He left his own good team to join a team that set the NBA loving RECORD FOR WINS and was one three pointer away from being the greatest single season team ever. If Kobe joined the 2008 Celtics it wouldn't be as bad. There are no comps because no one ever did this. Ewing didn't join the 1996 Bulls. Dr. J didn't join the 79 Blazers. Webber didn't join the 2001 Lakers.

I thought the 2016 warriors were shook frauds and terrible

What exactly is the cutoff for 'too good to join'? Third round playoff exit?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Santheb posted:

I knew Bosh was a good (great?) player and all but I really always considered that team the big two + Chris Bosh

that teams biggest strength was its defense even when playing small and chris bosh was the entire reason their small lineup was a great defensive one

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I thought the 2016 warriors were shook frauds and terrible

What exactly is the cutoff for 'too good to join'? Third round playoff exit?

I would say setting the record for regular season wins is a good barometer. That or don't join a team that beat you in the conference finals after you blew your own 3-1 lead.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

that teams biggest strength was its defense even when playing small and chris bosh was the entire reason their small lineup was a great defensive one

Gotcha. Their defense was so fast.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Santheb posted:

I knew Bosh was a good (great?) player and all but I really always thought of that team as the big two + Chris Bosh

2010 leaders (the season before LeBron and Bosh left to Miami)
Player Efficiency Rating
1. LeBron James • CLE 31.1
2. Dwyane Wade • MIA 28.0
3. Kevin Durant • OKC 26.2
4. Chris Bosh • TOR 25.0
5. Tim Duncan • SAS 24.7

also 3-Pt Field Goals
1. Aaron Brooks • HOU 209

they assembled a team with three of the four best players in the league, and also Aaron Brooks was the best shooter in the league

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

The same posters will literally talk about this every game for the next 5-6 years, poo poo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Santheb posted:

Yeah thats a really good one. The Servant though?

I still don't understand The Servant, and this is coming from a guy who firmly believes that KD's 2014 MVP speech is the single greatest moment in the entire history of sports, on OR off the court/field/track/whatever.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Vox Nihili posted:

10, maybe 20 actual oakland residents at the game lol

You know how expensive Oakland is now?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

All the Celtics were over 30 and just beginning the downhill side of their career when they switched teams, same with Barkley.

Was Lebron the first guy in his absolute prime (26) to switch teams onto a superteam?

Still going with "he deserves this"
moses malone joining dr j when he was 27

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mahoning posted:

I mean, yeah, but like I said the Heat weren't good either when LeBron joined. Let's not pretend that LeBron joined some already great team like KD did.

That's pretty disingenuous. Bosh and Lebron joined and they were immediately the Finals favorites. Not one, not two, not three...

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

E2M2 posted:

Hell when I lived in Oakland like 5 years ago it was 1400 for a studio apartment and it sucked

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

That's pretty disingenuous. Bosh and Lebron joined and they were immediately the Finals favorites. Not one, not two, not three...

this is vastly different to joining a team that had been finals favorites 2 years in a row? especially when the formation was entirely the doings of the players themselves

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

E2M2 posted:

yeah it'd be different if you were going to say, there're probably 4 hayward residents at the game right now.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Yeah I'm not disagreeing or arguing anything, it just always seemed to me that Bosh sort of took a back seat to Wade and LeBron when up in Toronto he was the best thing since VC.

I'm a casual watcher dude, love basketball (tore my acl playing :( ) and dont really know the stats like that. Literally everything I say is just from observation and opinion. Cheers.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Santheb posted:

Yeah I'm not disagreeing or arguing anything, it just always seemed to me that Bosh sort of took a back seat to Wade and LeBron when up in Toronto he was the best thing since VC.

I'm a casual watcher dude, love basketball (tore my acl playing :( ) and dont really know the stats like that. Literally everything I say is just from observation and opinion. Cheers.

besides defense bosh changed his game the most, as its pretty impossible to have 3 ball dominant players on the court at once. he became a spot up shooter and extended his range out to three. lots of people felt the way you do but he was pretty much choosing to put up worse numbers so the team would win

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bosh was just less of a media darling than LeBron and Wade already were so he was less in the spotlight even though he was better than Wade for most of their run.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
bosh' defense and general role was also pretty underappreciated. like he had a stigma as a bad defender in toronto that kept going for a while in miami even though he was the elusive big man who could defend out to the perimeter and switch all over

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I know he's been there since their first title but I'm glad to see Shaun Livingston still doing things. I thought he'd never ball again. That poo poo was gross.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

yeah it'd be different if you were going to say, there're probably 4 hayward residents at the game right now.

San Leandro is repping big time

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Santheb posted:

I know he's been there since their first title but I'm glad to see Shaun Livingston still doing things. I thought he'd never ball again. That poo poo was gross.

he's my least hated warrior.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

im just gonna keep gushing about chris bosh

yeah he was also the most unique big man defender cause he basically ceded the role of rim protection to lebron and dwade, his job was to trap pnrs out to such insane ranges, letting dwade and lebron be the rotation guys for easy steals/blocks, and if they managed to pass out of the trap he had the recovery speed to be back with his man despite being like 10 feet away.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

im just gonna keep gushing about chris bosh

yeah he was also the most unique big man defender cause he basically ceded the role of rim protection to lebron and dwade, his job was to trap pnrs out to such insane ranges, letting dwade and lebron be the rotation guys for easy steals/blocks, and if they managed to pass out of the trap he had the recovery speed to be back with his man despite being like 10 feet away.

When Bosh officially retires we should make a thread together. I loving love Bosh. He was the purest shooter on that team outside of guys like James Jones and his D was so versatile. He was really such a unique player .
It's funny. He always seemed like one of those guys who didn't love basketball but was just good at it. Or he had so many other interests that he seemed to not performatively care the same way other guys did. But he was still so smart on the court and had such good instincts. Guy was built to play in this era.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Bosh made that team work imo. His pick and roll defense and general mobility were absolutely incredible.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BWV posted:

When Bosh officially retires we should make a thread together. I loving love Bosh. He was the purest shooter on that team outside of guys like James Jones and his D was so versatile. He was really such a unique player .
It's funny. He always seemed like one of those guys who didn't love basketball but was just good at it. Or he had so many other interests that he seemed to not performatively care the same way other guys did. But he was still so smart on the court and had such good instincts. Guy was built to play in this era.

yeah i was so pumped to see what he would become once he got to go back to being himself. being the dude who filled in all the holes on a hastily made team made him become so insanely versatile i think it would have been dope to see a lot more of him returning to his original role but with all the new skills he had acquired. its honestly a huge shame

i kind of really wanted the bosh to rockets thing to happen for that reason

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

my love for bosh may be one of the reasons kds poo poo is so maddening. the thunder would have those kd at 4 and serge at 5 lineups where kd basically became chris bosh for awhile and its insane the thunder didnt do it more and now we wont ever really see it again rip. it gave them an out to just squeeze the poo poo out of any team on defense, it helped them beat the spurs several times it feels like

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Dog posted:

this is vastly different to joining a team that had been finals favorites 2 years in a row? especially when the formation was entirely the doings of the players themselves

I just mean in terms of product on the court/lack of tension. 2011 was very much like last year, the Heat mostly seemed like juggernauts and their every loss (especially during their shaky start) was over analyzed, then they rolled into the finals and lost in a huge upset to a nonetheless underrated opponent. This year is 2012, they got even better somehow and are (probably) going to crush a good but totally outmatched squad in the Finals. These Warriors are arguably better but it's the same effect.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

I just mean in terms of product on the court/lack of tension. 2011 was very much like last year, the Heat mostly seemed like juggernauts and their every loss (especially during their shaky start) was over analyzed, then they rolled into the finals and lost in a huge upset to a nonetheless underrated opponent. This year is 2012, they got even better somehow and are (probably) going to crush a good but totally outmatched squad in the Finals. These Warriors are arguably better but it's the same effect.

i see the comparison but the difference is between 2011 and 2012. The Heat 's big adjustment was learning how to space the floor and really exploit their athleticism on defense. The Warriors' big adjustment was adding the 2nd best player in the NBA. It's a bit different seeing the better team figure it out than the better team adding yet another generational player. That said, Warriors still would be favourites without Durant I bet...

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 5, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bosh would be extremely cool for a lot of teams right now. The way he started stroking from three at the end there was cool but he was clearly just not right anymore

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Durant getting a ring but not in OKC is insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also what Lebron did with Miami is worse than what KD did with GS.

KD saw a team where he could fit in and do insane things in a great system, Lebron colluded with other free agents to set up a feifdom in a state with no Income Tax and ran an ESPN special about it.

Lebron literally had to go home and win a championship to redeem himself (which was awesome) whereas OKC getting screwed was a net positive for everyone.

• Locked thread