Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

McGavin posted:

Oh god, my joke entry with a ridiculously high goal differential is in first place. Now I have to think of something if I win. :doh:

A classic one is to give a historical club thats fallen on hard times a really good front office. Thats something that a stupid owner cant sell off as easily. I would recommend something like FC St Pauli in Germany or Wrexham for a nice blast from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Coach Brown strikes back! Return of Scott! :neckbeard:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Coach Brown strikes back! Return of Scott! :neckbeard:

Turns out you're not the only BBTF poster who reads this, someone on the gamer thread told me to play more football manager when i asked what to buy during the steam Halloween sale.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Thinking about rewards, would buffing up a national team by seeding a bunch of star youngsters into the game work? Do players in FM ever switch nationalities and stop playing for their birth country at any point?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Trundel posted:

Thinking about rewards, would buffing up a national team by seeding a bunch of star youngsters into the game work? Do players in FM ever switch nationalities and stop playing for their birth country at any point?

I don't see why it wouldn't. We did that a bunch in the last thread, gave Scotland a golden generation and everything!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Trundel posted:

depends on what you mean. Once a player is capped at the senior level for a team in an official match they're tied to it and can't play for another nation. However, players can obtain other nationalities, and if they haven't been capped yet they may decide to play for their new country instead.

in practice unless they already have secondary nationalities it's pretty rare for them to turn down caps long enough to qualify for another nation

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice to see this thread back.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have a post in three parts:

1) Does anyone have any suggestion for which FM (let's say between FM 15 up through 19) to recommend to someone who has never played before but has a solid real-life knowledge of football? 15, 16, 17 and 18 are presumably as polished as they will ever be but 19 probably still has some issues to smooth over, and I'm not one of those people who automatically assumes that newest = best?

2) Is there a good place somewhere to find a complete list of all of the position/role abbreviations (like BBM, DLF etc) in the game(s) and presumably what players in those roles do? While I know a fair amount about football tactics and such, they keep coming up with new (sub-)positions and some of them are beyond me still. I'd gotten used to games like Pro Evo where there about 11 positions total that are very self-explanatory; this game has dozens, or at least it seems.

3) Habeas, I just reread your Wrexham LP and I have decided that, if you do not send it to the archives, I'm going to have to sue you for Failure to Preserve Digital Media, Alienation of Affection and ei incumbit probatio qui dicit*. Consider this your only warning.

*With any luck, at least one of these is actual legal terminology.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

19 is going to be better than 18 after it's fully patched, but like all FM versions it will remain buggy as hell for the next 5 months and patches will roll that will probably break your tactics. But 19 is what most everyone is playing now.

I think if you want any version before 18 you would have to... uh... use methods other than online storefronts to acquire it.

I don't know of any specific glossaries of all the role abbreviations, but a list of all the roles and short descriptions of them is here: https://www.guidetofm.com/tactics/roles-duties

You just kind of pick up over time that BBM = Box to Box Midfielder, DLP = Deep Lying Playmaker, etc. I know gently caress-all about actual football tactics but have gotten used to it just from FM'ing.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 11, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The game also does a pretty good job of explaining roles for players. Everything I've heard is that fm19 has some solid steps forward and might be the best new version in several years.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Eleventh: Stomping past the Graveyard.
May 10, 2020-June 20, 2020

Just minutes after the Serie C regular season ended I had questions from the media about a rumor that I would be jumping ship to join Alessandria.

I promptly shut that down, why would I want to leave what I'm building in San Marino?

Also, Alessandria is stuck in Serie C for another season, having finished outside of the promotion playoffs. Sure, they were in Serie B two seasons ago, but they've fallen hard and why would I want to take over a club like that?

The kid I noticed at the start of April now has a full scouting report, and the scouts like what they see. He'd be cheap to sign, doesn't want a big contract, and wants to join us? Man I wish I had the money in our transfer budget to sign him. Sadly, the transfer kitty is depleted, with all of €1,700 available and Pergolettese wanting €35,000.

Meanwhile my scouts keep finding incredible players in the Belgian semi-pro leagues and yet none of them want to come to Italy. Seriously, what would be the difference for a kid from Cameroon?!

Oh come on. Now I've got to rely on a grumpy Melgrati to shepard us through the playoffs!? This injury couldn't have come at a worse time for the club.

Meanwhile, Avellino and Livorno were looking into signing Morotti when his deal ran out. Given that he was willing to take a pay cut to stay with the club, and he's been one of our best players all season, a new contract was a no-brainer.

If you can speak Icelandic you can probably learn to speak any language.

Kwame also finishes up his intensive language course, although because he spoke fluent English when he came to the team there was never a language barrier between him and I. He's now fluent in four languages- English, Dutch, French, Italian- while also having “good” German. Guy should look into being a linguist when he retires from pro-football. No one else on the squad speaks more than three other languages (Belkheir, who has French, Italian, and Arabic down pat), and the only challengers to Kwame's language proficiency on the coaching staff is one of our Icelandic boys, Hilmar Hreidarsson (Icelandic, English, German, Italian, and some Danish).

Pisa are our best opportunity for a tune-up prior to the start of the playoffs, and the only people we could invite to town and earn a profit.

Why do all these bad teams want to hire me? Where's Atalanta or Torino or some other good but not great team?

It's a rotating cast of characters (and casts of injured limbs) in the trainer's room.

Football Manager hates Liverpool. Also, LOL that Klopp would win the Champions League and get canned within two years. I'd say that was ridiculous, but Leicester City fired Claudio Ranieri less than a year after his world-breaking feat of dragging the Foxes to the Premier League title (and he was in the knockout rounds of the Champions League when they fired him!). Unless your name is Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson, or Scott Brown, you can't expect any type of leash from your owners in the game of football.

Well, there's a job I'd consider taking... if just to show I was an even greater coach than Brian Phillips (sports journalist and as of October a New York Times bestselling author). Pro Vercelli are perhaps the greatest sleeping giants in all of European football, with seven Italian titles to their name... the last one coming in 1922. Too bad for them that I'm gainfully employed.

We dominated our visitors for most of the match, but who cares about the result. This was a bad match for us for one simple reason.

Vanzetta has been our best wingback all season long, and now he's questionable for the first round of the playoffs because Pisa spiked him. May your stupid leaning tower topple, Pisans.

Oh, now I'm getting offered some interesting jobs. Verona just got relegated to Serie B, and has been yo-yo-ing between Serie A and B since 2016. They're a vastly bigger club than San Marino... so the Board better understand what I'm turning down.

Some of our mentoring links work out well.

Others... not so much. Way to be a professional, Schiatarella. You're definitely my worst signing so far.

I ain't got time for this, we've still got matches to win!

Giorgio's not the best youth development guy, but he's been more than adequate for a lower league squad. Just one more thing I need to replace come July.

Looks like I'll need to find a new long term solution in the goal. Serie B talent ain't good enough for me.

We beat up on Pistoese 4-0 way back in the group stage of the Serie C cup... something tells me it's not going to be quite so easy in the promotion playoffs.

Another training injury? Give him the juice, I need him active in two days time.

And this is just adding insult to injury. Hey, Italy U19 coach du jour, I NEED STECCA FOR THE PLAYOFFS. He'll be gone from the second leg of the quarterfinals until the finals, should we make it that far. I could demand he not go play for the U19 team, but since Stecca really wants to make the Italian national team someday, I don't want the locker room trouble that might stir up.

at Pistoiese
Serie C Playoffs, Quarterfinal Away Leg
June 6, 2020

A good result here makes getting to the semifinals so much easier. It will also allow me to play a more aggressive game in the home leg, and allow me to rotate players to keep them all fresh for the next round. A bad result basically ends our season.

Formation: 3-5-2 Wingback Counter
Starting 11: Melgrati; Punzi, Prestia, Vogliacco; Vanzetta, Morotti; Conti (c), Matera, Pazzi; Stecca, Minelli.
Substitutes: Alberghi, Kwame, Quaranta, Iotti, Carissoni, Ranelli, Schiattarella, Caldore, Colonna, Tesoro, Manara, Belkheir

Nothing interesting happens in the first 22 minutes, except Captain Conti getting carded. That's the highlight of a drab first half, where the only shot on target is right to Melgrati. I'll be OK with a 0-0 draw in the away leg, but that's not so fun for the spectators.

The teams start to awaken in the second half, with two chances from Prestia and Vogliacco unable to find the net and unable to not find the keeper, respectively. We follow up in the 52nd minute as Minelli plays the ball back to Morotti on the flank, and Morotti booms in a long ball... to a striding Stecca, who beats the keeper for the first goal of the match.

I bring in Tesoro for the flagging Pazzi., while the Minelli-Stecca tag team almost gets another goal in the 58th minute, forcing a save from the keeper. Melgrati gets caught napping in the 60th minute and gives up the equalizer at the near post, while we continue to scuffle. That scuffling hurts us, Punzi fails to connect with an easy header, allowing another goal in the 69th minute. Punz tries to make good with a great ball that finds a scampering Minelli, but Minelli can't finish the job. The same goes for Prestia, who can't get his header below the crossbar despite having no one challenging him for the ball. As time ticks away we threaten on several more occasions, but it usually ends with Conti blasting the ball into the stands.

Then, in the 90th minute, Morotti puts across a ball from the touchline, looking for Minelli, and the Pistoiese keeper and centerbacks clatter into each other... allowing the cross to flutter past and into the net for the late equalizer. It's a miracle, and we've saved the draw while notching two away goals.

Player of the Match: Ernesto Starita

Pistoiese 2-2 San Marino

Two away goals is huge. Now even a 1-1 draw puts us through to the final.

Keep feeding Punz the pain pills! What type of hack team quack even has to ask?

I'll yell at you about this when I'm done dragging this team to heights you never had the ovaries to imagine reaching, Dancer.

Hah, I offered him to other clubs to fulfill the “promise” I made to move him... and now he wants to stay despite having all of three weeks left on his deal.

The answer is no. It will always be no. Also, what the hell is any team in Serie C doing with a €1.1m transfer budget?

I love our captain!

vs Pistoiese
Serie C Playoffs, Quarterfinal Home Leg
June 10, 2020

We've got two away goals. As long as we don't lose we should advance... or at least make it to extra time. Punzi can play through the pain, which is good because after Iotti we don't exactly have depth at centerback. The biggest problem is that I forgot Stecca had been called up to the Italian U19 team. Thanks, whoever is coaching the Azzuri. Way to stick it to the woman.

Formation: 3-5-2 Flat Control
Starting 11: Melgrati; Punzi, Prestia, Vogliacco; Colonna, Conti (c), Matera, Pazzi, Morotti; Manara, Minelli.
Substitutes: Alberghi, Kwame, Caldore, Quaranta, Carissoni, Vanzetta, Iotti, Ghiotto, Schiattarella, Tesoro, Ranelli, Belkheir.

Melgrati is forced to make a massive save in the 3rd minute, after Prestia gets caught too far forwards. On the ensuing corner Minelli breaks away and only a last second tackle keeps him from having an open goal in front of him. In the ensuing fight for the ball in the corner, Colonna is able to knick it clean away, and passes to Manara, who shows wisdom beyond his years to pass up the shot and give Minelli an easy goal. Pistoise need to score two now to have any chance at winning.

Manara forces a save in the 17th minute, the corner leads to Conti forcing another save, and this has been a wide open slugfest in the first 20 minutes. Minelli could easily have had two more, but can't get his headers down below the crossbar. Just before the half, Morotti and Colonna combine to ping-pong back and forth to each other, and Morotti puts the return cross into the net to give us the two goal advantage. We're going to the semis barring complete collapse.

The second half isn't anywhere near as dramatic as we begin to squeeze the life out of our visitors and slow things down. We continue to look dangerous, but can't grab another goal despite Minelli putting another two shots on target. Pistoiese manage to score a last second goal on an absolute banger from long range, but with less than a minute to play it's mere consolation instead of immediate concern.

Player of the Match: Salvatore Colonna

San Marino 2 (4)-(3) 1 Pistoiese

Performances like THAT are why I refuse to sell Colonna.

: You just gotta put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up.

: Si, Allenatrice?

Novara finished just ahead of Pistoise in Serie C/A this season, if we beat them we'll face either Catania or Reggiana in the final. The games are coming fast now, both of the matches against Novara are inside of the next six days.

Oh, hey, Cataldi is back in time to at least be on the bench for the first leg of our semifinal.

It's a real good thing that none of these kids have broken into our senior team. We're still missing Stecca and Kwame due to their international team commitments.

Cataldi will probably be back in the net for the second leg, but I don't want to rush him back. Iotti or Ghiotto are also likely to get a start, as I don't know how much longer Punz can keep playing on that gimpy leg.

vs Novara
Serie C Playoffs, Semifinal Home Leg
June 13, 2020

Novara finished second in Serie C/A, behind Avellino. If we beat them in this semifinal, we'll have laid waste to Serie C/A, having beaten Pistoise in the quarterfinals and now these jabronis. We're also not the only team without some of our best players, Novara are missing the Serie B quality winger Lorenzo Dickman, who would be a menace going up against the defensively disinclined Colonna.

Formation: 3-5-2 Flat Control
Starting 11: Melgrati; Punzi, Prestia, Vogliacco; Colonna, Conti (c), Matera, Tesoro, Morotti; Manara, Minelli.
Substitutes: Cataldi, Caldore, Vanzetta, Quaranta, Carissoni, Iotti, Ghiotto, Schiattarella, Pazzi, Ranelli, De Meo, Belkheir.

We've been getting off to a hot start all through the playoffs, and this match is no different. Minelli sales a free kick just over the bar in the 5th minute, then shortly afterwards dinks an arcing cross that gets deflected out of the box by two Novaran defenders. Colonna beats a third Novaran to the ball, dribbles into the area, and cool as you please picks out Nico Manara standing with just enough space to get off a clean shot and grab us an early lead. Novara hit back almost immediately, putting the ball into the net after some deft passing following a free kick, but our lads had perfectly executed the offside trap and the side judge raises his flag immediately to annul the goal.

If we had our finishing boots on, we'd be up by two more, as both Conti and Minelli miss the net from good positions. Instead, Novaran Riccardo Maniero is able to equalize just before the half, outrunning Punzi and Prestia before slipping the ball past Melgrati to knot things at one-all. The second half sees me drop Morotti and Colonna deeper into wingback positions, and then take them off with 15 minutes to play for more defensive minded players as I do not want to allow a second away goal. We manage to achieve that goal, but don't score ourselves and now need to score at least once when we visit Novara in three days.

Player of the Match: Raffaele Russo

San Marino 1-1 Novara

I'm... somewhat concerned about not having the lead going into the away leg.

Punzi finally has to bow out for the year, but he's done a lot for the team by playing through the pain.

at Novara
Serie C Playoffs, Semifinal Away Leg
June 16, 2020

We STILL don't have Stecca back, he's finally off international duty come tomorrow, so we're going to be relying on Minelli or Manara to carry the day for us. Because Stecca and Enrici are missing, I'm going with the 4-4-2 today, I need Colonna on the pitch, but can't trust him to play defense without Vanzetta behind him at right back. We'll start off on the attack, but if that's not working early switch to a counter style.

Formation: 4-4-2 Attack
Starting 11: Cataldi; Vanzetta, Prestia, Vogliacco, Quaranta; Colonna, Conti (c), Matera, Morotti; Manara, Minelli.
Substitutes: Melgrati, Caldore, Carissoni, Iotti, Ghiotto, Buonagrazia, Schiattarella, Tesoro, Ranelli, De Meo, Belkheir.

The two squads exchange free kick attempts in the early going, and Cataldi has to save a tame shot in the 12th minute, but right now we're not getting the advantage I wanted from coming out on attack. I switch us to a counter-punching style, which pays off immediately as Minelli puts a killer ball on through to goal which Manara volley's in with his left foot. We're right back in it now, and Novara will need to score twice to beat us. Quaranta almost salts away the lead two minutes later, but his effort is knocked away by a sprawling Lorenzo Montipo to save Novara's hopes. From that point on the match revolves around keeping our defense stiff enough to prevent any Novaran equalizer while not sitting on our lead in a way that would give the home team 70 minutes to beat down our door.

We're up for that, forcing two more saves from Montipo scoring chances over the next forty minutes of play while not giving up any real chances in return, and get a huge stroke of luck when striker Gianluca Sansone is forced out of the game with a foot injury in the 67th minute... after Novara had used their final substitution. Forced to play a man down for the rest of the match, Novara doesn't give up. Neither does Massimo Cataldi, who matches Montipo save for save with two leaping stops that leave us the narrow victors and with only one game standing in our way before promotion.

Player of the Match: Salvatore Colonna

Novara 0 (1)-(2) 1 San Marino

Wheeeeee. Those two saves by Cataldi were excellent. He deserves more credit for his play, especially having just come back from injury.

I want that promotion! I can taste it!

Catania trounced Reggiana in their home leg to win 5-2 on aggregate, and they only lost five times in all of their Serie C season. They're not going to be an easy out.

Yeah, I should probably do that.

(As the players file out of the room, ANTHONY ENRICI crutches over to the COACH)

: I still don't know, Allenatrice.

: You saw how the rest of the team reacted. Get with the program.

: Yeah, but how am I supposed to feel motivated during the match if you just want us to stay within ourselves?

(The COACH's eyes flick down to ENRICI's crutches before returning to glare at the YOUNG ATTACKING MIDFIELDER)

: You're not even playing!

: Well, ok, but what if I was?

(The COACH's glare hardens into a GLARE, and ENRICI takes an involuntary step backwards)

: I just remembered, I need to go see the doctor about my rehabilitation timeline. Thanks for the talk, Allenatrice!

The Serie C finale is being held at the home of Fiorentina, a solidly mid-table and occasionally better Serie A club. Catania's fans will have memories of their side playing here when they were in Serie A from 2006 through 2014.

What did you ever accomplish at San Marino, Beru04?

Oh, really? Then tell me why Di Grazia isn't in your starting eleven, Monaco. Why are you currently planning on starting the guy who's played less, has a lower rating, and has far fewer assists?

Yeah, yeah. I know. I haven't had much time to think about the offseason, since we've been playing nonstop for the past couple of weeks! And I'm certainly not going to think about it until I know whether we're stuck in Serie C for another season or so.

This is it! When all ends what will we look back upon and remember with pride? Will it be making the Serie C finals, or will it be rising to Serie B as the greatest Titani team in history? All I know is that the Guardian told me they'll be liveblogging the final, which is scheduled for 5pm Eastern US Time on Wednesday the 14th. Be there... or have to read it afterwards!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 12, 2018

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

:ohdear:

The anticipation is killing me. How do I have the same anxiety reading this thread, that I have for real actual playoff games? I'm so invested! :munch:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh man here we go

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

JustJeff88 posted:

I have a post in three parts:

1) Does anyone have any suggestion for which FM (let's say between FM 15 up through 19) to recommend to someone who has never played before but has a solid real-life knowledge of football? 15, 16, 17 and 18 are presumably as polished as they will ever be but 19 probably still has some issues to smooth over, and I'm not one of those people who automatically assumes that newest = best?

The developers force previous year's versions to be delisted from online stores to push you onto the latest full price reskin of the same game so your best bet for an older version is a physical store.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'll set up a twitch stream as well, since I'll be playing the actual game tomorrow so I can do the writeup without having to pause every 5-10 minutes to make adjustments in strategy/write. I'm... pretty tense. Being in Serie C again would really suck. I'd sell Pazzi, and Enrici might go too. I probably wouldn't be able to get Stecca or Minelli back for the 2021-2022 season since we'd be at best a very good Serie C team*

*I might not anyways because they might be good enough for Serie A at that point, and Pescara just got relegated so they could almost certainly use Minelli in Serie B.

Obliterati posted:

The developers force previous year's versions to be delisted from online stores to push you onto the latest full price reskin of the same game so your best bet for an older version is a physical store.

It's pretty rare that any individual year's purchase is going to stink. If you look through reviews going back a decade, every one will comment on how it's an incremental change from the prior year with some quality of life improvements and how the match engine is a little screwy if you set out to break it, but that'll be patched up in January. I can tell you that I like FM18 more than FM 14, while FM12 and FM14 weren't that different. If the reviews are right about FM19, I'd probably go with that... especially if you can wait for the big midseason patch where they fix everything they accidentally broke from the prior season.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 12, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If we do make Serie B the team's going to be so worn out from Italy's insane promotion playoff structure that it's going to be pretty challenging to stay there, no?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
THE TENSION :f5:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Man why does it have to be going down on the two days I actually have poo poo to do? :byodood:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

If we do make Serie B the team's going to be so worn out from Italy's insane promotion playoff structure that it's going to be pretty challenging to stay there, no?

We're gonna have a real hard time. Like, basically no pre-season, and I expect to have players reporting back to camp in late July who are tired and need another break. The silver lining is that the senior team won't change dramatically, so we'll at least be pretty cohesive to start.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, looking forward to opening the Serie B season 1-2-6 and getting the "12 points in the next 5 games or you're fired" pep talk :sun:

e: might have to take a bunch of loaners just to have some players who aren't exhausted on the team

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 13, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Obliterati posted:

I have a bunch of old versions that I've accumulated from bundles, sites that sell keys and so on. I'm not really interested in 19 due to the price and the lack of polish/patches, but I can have a go at 15-18, each of which is as good as it's going to get.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I have a bunch of old versions that I've accumulated from bundles, sites that sell keys and so on. I'm not really interested in 19 due to the price and the lack of polish/patches, but I can have a go at 15-18, each of which is as good as it's going to get.

FM18 is a good game. There are still some quirks - mostly in player interactions, which the developers have never really gotten a grip on - but overall it's as good a game as you'll get without buying FM19 (and then waiting until February/March for the final database update).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah if you have a chose of older versions, go with FM18. It's a really good game, and I like the new team dynamics part. I cannot wait until I hire someone who the team hates and have to make them get along through sheer force of will.

So question for the thread, I already played the final because I was too hype, but didn't realize the best I could get from a replay was "comprehensive highlights" - so it can't be a true MBM. Are y'all OK with that or would you like me to play it live on Wednesday? The game as played was very, very exciting, but again you won't get to watch the full match live.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
If you won, I vote for the highlights. If you lost, I vote for doing it again live.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

AJ_Impy posted:

If you won, I vote for the highlights. If you lost, I vote for doing it again live.

Tbh, I kinda agree. I'm ready to see us finally start hitting the point where we can make enough money to not constantly see our finances and your job threatened every week.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

You do realize that you're inadvertently spoiling the result in advance, if we get the highlights.

I vote to go ahead and give us the highlights, either way, and pretend it's a liveblog.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, if you won, give us the highlights, and if you lost, keep playing until you win, and give us the highlights. :ohdear:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

You do realize that you're inadvertently spoiling the result in advance, if we get the highlights.

I vote to go ahead and give us the highlights, either way, and pretend it's a liveblog.

Not quite, we could still win on the live playthrough. In which case we'd have traded off a win for DRAMA.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AJ_Impy posted:

I agree with this

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm willing to accept Shenanigans to get us up to Serie B at this point. The Serene Republic needs to join the ranks of Megabastardom.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I wouldn't be against resigning from SanMar and jumping to a serie B team, and robbing the old club from it's players if it came to it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'd rather that habeas just keeps the result he gets from one match and deals with the consequences. He's doing this LP at a slower pace than the Wrexham one, but that one was basically unmitigated success from start to finish. The only real "disappointment" that I can think of is [LP SPOILERS] one of his later EPL seasons where he won no trophies at all ,which isn't that bad really.

Fighting through a long season and a gruelling playoff only to fail at the last moment would be something of a change and would require a lot of skill to overcome given that several of his best players are loaners and every other decent player is going to be headhunted ruthlessly by larger sides.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Agreed. Where's the fun in being tormented by Lucifer if success comes too easily?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Watching him deal with Serie B while half his players can barely move would be more fun than “okay let’s do that season again but a bit better this time”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd rather that habeas just keeps the result he gets from one match and deals with the consequences. He's doing this LP at a slower pace than the Wrexham one, but that one was basically unmitigated success from start to finish. The only real "disappointment" that I can think of is [LP SPOILERS] one of his later EPL seasons where he won no trophies at all ,which isn't that bad really.

Fighting through a long season and a gruelling playoff only to fail at the last moment would be something of a change and would require a lot of skill to overcome given that several of his best players are loaners and every other decent player is going to be headhunted ruthlessly by larger sides.

That's not even the biggest disappointment of the LP, that was when he accidentally gave the Bastard a $0 release clause instead of a $0 relegation release clause

Speaking of which, I'm not sure of this but I *think* in FM18 players/agents have a better notion that a relegation release clause isn't worth much when they play for a megabastard. In FM14 that was kind of exploity but in FM18 it doesn't seem like including that gets them to concede very much else in negotiations.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 13, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, I'm keep the first result, and doing a strictly text MBM of that. Y'all'll have to wait to tomorrow to find out if we won or not. :unsmigghh:

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's not even the biggest disappointment of the LP, that was when he accidentally gave the Bastard a $0 release clause instead of a $0 relegation release clause

Yeah. I'm really lucky the AI was stupid and still paid full value for him instead of nothing. Also, we ended up finding Thiago in Serie B, and he promptly scored like a zillion goals the next season, so it all worked out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah. I'm really lucky the AI was stupid and still paid full value for him instead of nothing. Also, we ended up finding Thiago in Serie B, and he promptly scored like a zillion goals the next season, so it all worked out.

This is exactly why I didn't cry too much. I did when it happened, but Thiago ended up scoring over sixty goals across all competitions in one calendar year, or something like that.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

habeasdorkus posted:

You lost the best striker in the league and then immediately replaced him with an even better and younger striker. Like your luck in that LP was crazy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thiago also had the advantage of not loving off for like 5 months in the middle of the season every other year, or whatever it was.

I mostly avoid Asian and Australian players because I just don't want to deal with that bullshit :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IIRC the issue with the Australians is that there was poor coding which made them send their A team to the ASEAN Cup, which took place every other December and not in one of the regularly scheduled international breaks. Africa Cup of Nations will also cost you players for a month every two years, but at least they're playing for the continental trophy.