Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
A 45 second clip of Billy Corgan farting on the Joke Rogan show with guest farts from Willow Smith would be better than anything on atum if he just let Jimmy do his actual thing on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kingo Ligma posted:

A 45 second clip of Billy Corgan farting on the Joke Rogan show with guest farts from Willow Smith would be better than anything on atum if he just let Jimmy do his actual thing on it.

Wait, Jimmy is on the album?

Why the gently caress do you have a jazz drummer who at one point was the only other Pumpkin to play on your albums because he's that good just do something I can whip up in 5 minutes on a drum machine?

That's like getting Barry Bonds to play T-ball.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of live vs album, while I think the album version is perfect, this recording of An Ode to No One (which I think is from their final music video compilation DVD) is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0sNVueB78

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

More thoughts on that video:

1. The four of them, with auf der Maur, might be my favourite lineup/iteration of the band. I just love her. Plus, :canada:, specifically Montreal, represent.

It's my favorite lineup as well, Melissa was such a perfect fit. Imagine if Machina had been released as-intended at the time (double album) and this lineup of the band just kept going and putting out albums. They might not have been hugely successful but I'm fairly confidant that we would have got at least two or three more classic albums from them.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I have faith that Billy will circle back around to making badass music with loud distorted guitars and banging rear end drums. Someday.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I have faith that Billy will circle back around to making badass music with loud distorted guitars and banging rear end drums. Someday.

I think the best we can hope for is a dying forgotten star last ditch acoustic album ala Johnny Cash

hardcoremark
May 6, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

I think the best we can hope for is a dying forgotten star last ditch acoustic album ala Johnny Cash

He already had a crack at that with Cotillions. While not great, was still much better than the last few Pumpkins albums. It's kind of hilarious that he's got Peter Hook's son in the band while he makes terrible New Order sound alikes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Interesting. I feel that 'Monuments to an Elegy' has been their best post breakup album.

The fact I *forgot* that album says a lot. I couldn't remember which one it was so I looked it up. Being Beige and Tiberius were alright I think? I remember Drum + Fife, it was not good.

I think Shiny was notable because Knights of Malta hit the mark as very reminiscent of protest era folk/gospel, with a rad backwards solo, I genuinely love Silvery Sometimes and I remember thinking the rest was decent. Which puts it leagues ahead for me.

The fact that every Pumpkins release I just hope they have at least one song I like says a lot. Long gone are the days of eagerly listening to the whole album because it's so good.

Edit: the fact that ATUM is called a rock opera is loving hilarious, especially with Billy saying it's far more guitar driven. Are you knowingly lying or going senile, Billy?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That's what I had meant earlier when I said I was unsure if the synthy stuff was being done with the guitars with different effects and such.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so I feel like I'm going crazy, got a bit of a Mandela effect thing going on (I don't honestly believe in the Mandela effect, outside of the term just meaning "could have sworn...")

It's apparently "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" and not "Thru the Eyes of A Ruby" and I'm feeling extremely weirded out.

I looked up how to play the intro on youtube, didn't notice the difference in the title of that video, but then I clicked on a "composer reacts" video of the guy listening to it, and I (mentally) balked at him saying it wrong.

Then I noticed the video titles. His and others. Then I looked up the official track listing and :psyduck:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

come around Ruby, I could never sleep alone ...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

come around Ruby, I could never sleep alone ...

Yeah, see, even THAT didn't tip me off.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9XJdd4FlM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eyyyyyyy...

Spellbinding, a track from the upcoming ATUM Act III, is out.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Lmao

quote:

Billy Corgan explained: “When you decide to do a three-act, 33-song rock musical in 2022…You’re definitely stepping in it! Because there’s a lot of people who believe less is more these days. I’m on the opposite side – I actually think more is more!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZ48AE3TOI

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

WHY is he singing like THAT

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Something Awful Forums > No Music Discussion > The Smashing Pumpkins: WHY is he singing like THAT

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

A Big... Dog posted:

WHY is he singing like THAT

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I feel like I've heard the chorus before. It's sounds like a big 80s hit song, but I can't put my finger on it.

The 5/4 verses don't work either. It just sounds awkward and forced.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I haven't been interested in Billy's work since 08/09 (I really liked what he was doing then too) but after hearing a classic rock guy spend 20 minutes explaining the plot of ATUM I have to give the thing a listen once the full album comes out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm going to go ahead and say you definitely don't. Of the songs they've put out so far, there are fewer than 10 that I'd say are mediocre and those are the best ones.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say you definitely don't. Of the songs they've put out so far, there are fewer than 10 that I'd say are mediocre and those are the best ones.

I don't care how bad the album is after I've heard an aging rock guy tell you that this album is about a guy who has been canceled by planet Earth I need to listen.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lmao

"I've been cancelled, no one likes my music anymore!!!!!!"

"Write good songs again and for fucks sake turn your vocals down in the mix. Way down"

"Cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*Is so successful he can fly his pet professional wrestlers to Australia for some godforsaken reason*

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah part of the reason I quit on the 33 podcast is Billy has no loving idea of what getting cancelled is and also how the internet works

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao

"I've been cancelled, no one likes my music anymore!!!!!!"

"Write good songs again and for fucks sake turn your vocals down in the mix. Way down"

"Cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*Is so successful he can fly his pet professional wrestlers to Australia for some godforsaken reason*

There was an interview from a few years ago where some critic or something gave him a middling review and he said something along the lines of "what do I have to do to be in the club?"

Motherfucker you went on Joe Rogan and bragged about buying a Ferrari with cash

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
See Kim Thayil's story about him wanting to be "the cute one."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

See Kim Thayil's story about him wanting to be "the cute one."

Reading that always hurts me right here, here on my heart.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

poo poo I thought the Machina reissue had been dated or launched :(

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SUNKOS posted:

poo poo I thought the Machina reissue had been dated or launched :(

Come on that obviously won't be happening until 2015 at the earliest. Probably 2017.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

More time has passed since the reissues were announced than the lifespan of the original lineup

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Billy can't handle the idea that a Machina reissue will outsell anything he's made since the reunion lol

RELEASE THE ALBUM(s), BILLY. IT'S THE ONLY ONE I DON'T OWN IN SOME FORM :( (pre-2000s, at least)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Maybe I'm just naive but it seems like it's all done but the record company is dragging its feet, and I kinda get it? Adore at least went platinum, I think Machine baaaaaarely went gold that first year. Fro. Their perspective doesn't seem like a lot of units would be shifted.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Noise Machine posted:

Maybe I'm just naive but it seems like it's all done but the record company is dragging its feet, and I kinda get it? Adore at least went platinum, I think Machine baaaaaarely went gold that first year. Fro. Their perspective doesn't seem like a lot of units would be shifted.

I believe the big issue is that they can't keep up with the printings of the stuff already out. Everything sells out basically instantly when it gets repressed/stocked. Since it is all 2 LP, and 4 for Mellon Collie, that is a lot of pressing time. Machina is going to likely be 4 LP as well which takes even more time. And it is all on huge back order as well. The back orders on Mellon Collie is evidently insane. RTI would have to press nothing but Mellon Collie for over a year right now to fill them. It is a huge problem across the entire industry. There just isn't enough capacity at the plants. Talking to several people you could have 5x the amount of capacity as you have currently and it would still not be able to handle the demand. None of the labels are investing in pressing either, they are all contracting out still which adds to the glut. The time to wait for 500 copies of something is 12-16 months right now.

They could easily release the CD and streaming tomorrow if they wanted, but you want the vinyl version at this point for physical if you are going to do it so that is the huge hold up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/ongoing-history-daily-please-dont-sing-billy/

quote:

Ongoing History Daily: Please don’t sing, Billy

Before the Smashing Pumpkins took off, Billy Corgan was in a bunch of bands that never went anywhere. One of those projects was Deep Blue Dream, a Chicago band from the 80s that was quite popular locally.

The leader was a guy named Wayne Welk. After catching a set by Billy’s band, he was impressed by his guitar playing but didn’t think much of Billy’s singing voice. Wayne asked Billy to join Deep Blue Dream, which he did—but on the condition that he did not sing, even if it was just backup vocals. Billy did join up and he did as he was told and kept his mouth shut.

That gig lasted for a while before Billy moved on to form the Smashing Pumpkins where, of course, he was the lead singer. Meanwhile, Deep Blue Dream evolved into another band called Static-X and they’ve had some success, too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What the poo poo

This is like when I learned Chevy Chase plagued drums for Steely Dan early on.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lmao when a member of static x is clowning on you musically and they're in the right

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wayne passed away and his partner took her life not long after, it's really tragic. Hard not to feel like ex-bandmates aren't cashing-in on it either considering they got Edsel Dope to fill-in for Wayne and wear a mask to literally look like him. Whole thing's gross, especially considering Wayne fired those guys long before passing and formed a new line-up.

Wayne telling Billy to shut up and stick to guitar is hilarious though. I actually think Billy had a good voice and range during the 90s, especially near the end of the decade with his vocals peaking during Adore/Machina, shame he sounds so awful now. Guess he didn't take good care of his voice? Wild when comparing to someone like Thom Yorke who still sounds incredible, but then again he didn't spend a decade screaming which probably helps a lot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just in case anyone else is reading this without any prior knowledge, like myself, the guy's name was Wayne Wells, not Welk.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SUNKOS posted:

Wayne passed away and his partner took her life not long after, it's really tragic. Hard not to feel like ex-bandmates aren't cashing-in on it either considering they got Edsel Dope to fill-in for Wayne and wear a mask to literally look like him. Whole thing's gross, especially considering Wayne fired those guys long before passing and formed a new line-up.

Wayne telling Billy to shut up and stick to guitar is hilarious though. I actually think Billy had a good voice and range during the 90s, especially near the end of the decade with his vocals peaking during Adore/Machina, shame he sounds so awful now. Guess he didn't take good care of his voice? Wild when comparing to someone like Thom Yorke who still sounds incredible, but then again he didn't spend a decade screaming which probably helps a lot.

On the other hand, it would be kind of hilarious if James, D'arcy, and Jimmy had hired some other tall bald weirdo and gone out on the road as the smashing pumpkins.

Anyway yeah Billy probably didn't take the best care of his voice, a lot of it isn't that he was necessarily screaming, but singing with a strained voice because he wasn't trained formally. Even if it's not necessarily damage he's done, you can't just pull that off at 55 anymore. If he had started singing in a different way in 1996 people probably would have given him some poo poo at the time but he'd be able to do it still.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If he'd shaved his head we could have had Nick Cave and the Pumpkin Seeds :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember having a dream back in the late 90s where Billy explained his shaved head. He said "God tells me what music to write, sends like a divine radio signal right into my brain. Sometimes, it's scratchy, so I shaved my head to get better reception."