Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue in particular was such a huge moment of “I’ve never played or been immersed in anything like this” when I played it on release that I’m ride or die for this poo poo, warts and all. Even if no more games ever get made, I’d at least want to see the story told via some medium. It’s apparent that he truly wants to do this via further games. A fool’s errand, perhaps, and time will tell how this all pans out.

For my part, the series just represents a feeling I haven’t really experienced since first playing it. Going from Nintendo 64 level games to this living, breathing, interactive world full of detail and fully voice acted NPCs who inhabited it. I don’t really know how else to describe it. It was one of those games for me. Like the first time you played Mario 64 or Half Life 2 and just sat back like “loving hell”.

And while I realize it isn’t quite as impactful or loved as those games, that was the feeling it gave me. I was playing something that blew my socks off in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

As a kid it was mind blowing that I could talk to pretty much any npc and seemingly enter any building. I never realized the limits at the time, which made it feel even more incredible.

I really hope it can be finished somehow before Suzuki retires or dies.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I know the Virtua Fighter series has its fans at least

That's certainly a way of describing Sega's only million-plus selling home title and the most successful arcade fighting game of all time in Japan.

(that's VF2 btw, though I wouldn't credit Yu Suzuki that much for its or the rest of the series' success, there's a Miyamoto-like overrating of publicly visible figureheads at work here)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
outrun, virtua fighter and shenmues are all loving fantastic all timers actually.

and get this, we are gonna be playing shenmue 4 and shenmue 5 one day. its happening. doubters, go home nerds.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 13, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vikar Jerome posted:

and get this, we are gonna be playing shnemue 4 and shenmue 5 one day. its happening. doubters, go home nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fans-campaign-for-shenmue-4-with-times-square-ad-in-new-york/1100-6523961/

lol

https://x.com/Shenmue_Dojo/status/1798107797244027133