Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

D4 - 1 = tens
D10 = ones

00 = 40
01 = something funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its interesting several of you are going to play just officers instead of the commander of a ship. I was going back and forth on that myself, I'm just not sure how easy it would be to keep a junior officer player character busy. Then again one of the advantages of the solo format is that you can skip large amounts of time if needed. Perhaps your character goes weeks or even months between being noteworthily involved in a major mission due to their skillset or circumstances.

I pondered quite a bit on the main character. Captain seems the obvious choice (TOS/TAS, Enterprise, DS9, Voyager, Picard) but be because of how obvious it is, I am reluctant. I think it would be neat to explore a story where it's more nebulous (TNG, SNW), or just flat out not the captain (Disco). Also since I rolled for a "Novice" campaign, it didn't make sense that someone 'right out of the academy' would be given a command of anything but a cargo hauler. I find the "promoted to command after the captain dies" trope kinda dumb (Kelvin Timeline, STO). Plus my character is on a small ship, so it helps bringing him up the chain of command at a low rank. Sorry, Lieutenant JG Mary Sue would NOT be given command of a Galaxy class cruiser.

I was going to make Galdi only a senior officer, but when I went back and set up the Attributes, Disciplines, Foci, and Values, it became obvious that he would be XO, since he is Command. I game him a Conn background. Having the XO be the Conn officer doesn't make sense (way too busy piloting), so he'll probably stand at tactical, and be able to take the Conn if he needs to. Also, I dug how the early episodes of TNG emphasized how Riker would be the one to go on away missions and not Picard (even though they got away from that), so I figure that's the case here.

As the campaign progresses, I expect he will be given his own command before too long.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 14, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HopperUK posted:

Honestly just use an online RNG to generate a number between 2 and 40 if you don't care about probability curves. But then you don't get to roll dice and why else did we all buy all these loving dice?

Because otherwise we wouldn’t own the dice, friend.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah after thinking about it more I decided I’d give playing just an officer a try. I can always just skip ahead a few years to when they’ve obtained their own command if I really want to.

Since I’m gonna be doing TOS era I was thinking of making an equivalent to Sulu. As chief helmsman, Sulu got to be a pretty active character, piloting the ship and also being the one who most often operated the weapons. He was also more than once left in charge of the ship when Kirk and Spock went off to adventure and Scotty was unavailable. He also was a member of landing parties frequently enough and perhaps their Captain embraces the attitude that later gives rise to the TNG era preference to NOT routinely send the ship’s ranking officer into perilous landing party situations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Played through a first act with my science officer, and it's pretty fun. Added a few rolls in places where I felt like he'd have to convince the captain to let him do stuff. I feel like using the Starforged tables for a lot of the set dressing stuff helped - a "Heavily Armed" probe with an "Intimidating Profile" helped me start piecing together some of the plot threads I'd rolled.

I think my biggest issue right now - and it's mostly from being a rookie at solo RPGs, I'm guessing - is deciding when to roll some things. This ship is supposed to have ambassadors on it, do I roll it right from the start or wait till they enter the story? If I roll at the start, to I forego rolling for motivations until I need them? What if I roll them later and they make no sense with that I have so far? I just have to work out how I want to handle it.

I also downloaded the free STA mission brief packs and will probably add them into the mix in addition to the missions I roll when playing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think my biggest issue right now - and it's mostly from being a rookie at solo RPGs, I'm guessing - is deciding when to roll some things.

Roll what kind of things? Details? What constitutes an action worth rolling for?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Roll what kind of things? Details? What constitutes an action worth rolling for?

The big one I wasn't sure on was when to roll for was the ambassador's goal in the story that's forming. I ended up just rolling for it right at the beginning (he's looking to gain scientific knowledge through theft on behalf of a nearby government) and seeing if my science officer can suss it out.

I just don't know if I'd prefer laying it all out from the start or generating NPC plot points like that on the fly. I suppose next mission I'll try doing it on the fly and see what I prefer.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

You can do both. If you feel you want a good idea where the story will go first then roll it up. I did that for my ‘pilot’ episode since I don’t have a good feel for the system yet. I think about it like watching the “Next time on…” bit.

If you’d rather be spoiler free, then roll it up as you go.

There’s really no right or wrong way to do it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, you can go whichever way. I've got a bunch of the old FASA Trek RPG books I picked up ages ago in a garage sale that I've been thinking of mining for mission/adventure ideas. I probably won't follow them verbatim, but use them as a sort of guideline and/or "this is how it might go."

For example, the first one I'm thinking of using is FASA's The Vanished and about all I'll probably use from the actual adventure is the basic concept and a reference map.

quote:

The USS Enterprise is passing near Federation Deepspace Research Facility 39, a special scientific station for the development of sensitive experiments away from a solar system... Visual communication proves impossible because of [a] nearby storm, but voice contact is established. Suddenly, in mid-sentence, the voice on the other end stops... The station's transmission equipment is still working. But repeated calls will raise no reply from the station personnel. Obviously, something is very wrong at FDR Facility 39, and under Federation law, the Enterprise must investigate...

When the Federation ship arrives they find the station utterly empty. Coffee cups lay cooling on tables, a faucet is left open in a restroom, and review of the ship's scanners and communication log show that in the space of an eyeblink, the 34 Starfleet officers and civilian researchers of FDR-39 just vanished.

Now obviously the FASA book has its own answers for what happened, but I think it'd be fun to just find my own cause and solution.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, you can go whichever way. I've got a bunch of the old FASA Trek RPG books I picked up ages ago in a garage sale that I've been thinking of mining for mission/adventure ideas. I probably won't follow them verbatim, but use them as a sort of guideline and/or "this is how it might go."

For example, the first one I'm thinking of using is FASA's The Vanished and about all I'll probably use from the actual adventure is the basic concept and a reference map.

When the Federation ship arrives they find the station utterly empty. Coffee cups lay cooling on tables, a faucet is left open in a restroom, and review of the ship's scanners and communication log show that in the space of an eyeblink, the 34 Starfleet officers and civilian researchers of FDR-39 just vanished.

Now obviously the FASA book has its own answers for what happened, but I think it'd be fun to just find my own cause and solution.
Perhaps they're in a warp bubble, slightly out of phase.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Perhaps they're in a warp bubble, slightly out of phase.

Here's something you shouldn't be able to answer - "Computer, what is the nature of the universe?"

:swoon:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Here's something you shouldn't be able to answer - "Computer, what is the nature of the universe?"

That episode is wonderful.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've noticed that my favorite eps tended to transform the ship into a kind of haunted house.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
I feel like the ending of that episode os really weak, Crusher isn't really responsible for her escape. I dunno what I'd have done differently though. I like the first 90% of the story.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

drunkencarp posted:

I feel like the ending of that episode os really weak, Crusher isn't really responsible for her escape. I dunno what I'd have done differently though. I like the first 90% of the story.

You've just given yourself a solo roleplaying prompt: get some dice and paper and roll for solving the universe

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ended up making a list of senior officers as well as some random lower ranks that can be used for landing parties or other random purposes (always more fun to put a name on Redshirts afterall). Even went so far as to dig through all those old STO portraits and put names to faces. I'm half tempted to reinstall the drat game after a decade to play with the character creator more and maybe take some beauty shots of a Pioneer Class ship.

One nice thing about the RPG format is we're not constrained by budget or makeup considerations, we can throw in a lot more non-humans because of that.

Since I want my PC/Captain to do the dumb Kirk thing of leading landing parties personally, but want a semi-plausible excuse for it, I made the XO an Efrosian. They've got really poor vision, so he prefers to stay on the ship where its not typically a problem. I might also throw in a plotline where he is an ambitious ladder-climber seeking his own command and is he possibly hoping his captain gets killed so he can have their job? :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 19, 2023

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That episode is wonderful.

WARNING EXPLOSIVE DECOMPRESSION ON DECKS 8 THROUGH 10

Computer, what happened?

SHIP DESIGN FLAW: DIMENSIONS OF THE SHIP EXCEED THE BOUNDARIES OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For Captain's Log while I intend to just use the ship's stats to represent the crews actions, the game does present as an alternative stating up members of your crew as full characters the same way you made your own. This is too much IMO, but I do find myself tempted to give the most important of them (EG: XO, Chief Science Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Medical Officer, etc) a single focus and/or a Value. EG: for my Efrosian XO I might give him a Focus of "Starfleet Protocol" and a Value of "I didn't deserve to be passed over for command" or my Vulcan Medical Officer might have a focus of "Xenobiology" and a value of "My purpose is to save lives, not take them."

The values would give them just a bit of extra defined character, while the focuses can potentially help give momentum or advantage when they're directly involved in a Crew/Ship Roll.

How are others planning to handle their crew?

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Bear In mind I have yet to play, I've just done "session 0," but I did a very similar thing in picking one value and one focus for the department heads of my character's ship.

I've considered adding one more thing to flesh out the NPCs a little more. Perhaps rolling a "first look" and "revealed aspect" from Starforged to round out their personalities.

It'd give the NPCs a little more depth, and I love rolling on tables.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
The full Star Trek Adventures rules have the idea of supporting characters that you flesh out a bit more each time they appear, which I was planning on adapting to Captain’s Log. Haven’t actually gotten started on a game yet, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ubersandwich posted:

Bear In mind I have yet to play, I've just done "session 0," but I did a very similar thing in picking one value and one focus for the department heads of my character's ship.

I've considered adding one more thing to flesh out the NPCs a little more. Perhaps rolling a "first look" and "revealed aspect" from Starforged to round out their personalities.

It'd give the NPCs a little more depth, and I love rolling on tables.

I didn't do this for my bridge crew, but I did do it for the ships involved in this mission and the alien we picked up.

Made it fun trying to figure out why a simple probe would have heavy armor and an "intimidating profile".

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
My physical copy of Captain's Log arrived and I'm pretty stoked.
As fun as having a .pdf already is, I try to do tabletop and solo rpg stuff as non-digital as possible because I'm looking at a screen long enough each week. Digital character sheets are fun, though.

So far I've done the session 0 stuff- rolled a few characters, a full bridge crew, and created a custom class vessel using their recommended generator/guidelines but haven't really taken them out on an adventure yet.

Those who have Captain's Log and the Star Trek Adventures books, do you recommend picking up the STA book as well? Would I just be collecting more lore/game manuals needlessly?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

chainchompz posted:

My physical copy of Captain's Log arrived and I'm pretty stoked.
As fun as having a .pdf already is, I try to do tabletop and solo rpg stuff as non-digital as possible because I'm looking at a screen long enough each week. Digital character sheets are fun, though.

So far I've done the session 0 stuff- rolled a few characters, a full bridge crew, and created a custom class vessel using their recommended generator/guidelines but haven't really taken them out on an adventure yet.

Those who have Captain's Log and the Star Trek Adventures books, do you recommend picking up the STA book as well? Would I just be collecting more lore/game manuals needlessly?

I tend to find it easier to flip through a book then scroll to a page.

I downloaded the 12 or so STA Briefs - they're free, each one has 10 one-page missions with major plot beats roughly in the 3 act format, some minor plot beats and even state which crew roles might be best as spotlight characters for the missions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll second snagging those briefs, I haven't read all of them yet, but I've seen a few I might use if I ever get that far.

Plus, they're free.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
If you've played The Wretched how did you keep your logs from getting really long when you roll a six at the start of the day? I fixed my beacon and chased the creature off like four times on my second day and the log is already almost a full page written out (gonna record them and post here when I'm finished) and I still have two cards to discuss.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

UwUnabomber posted:

If you've played The Wretched how did you keep your logs from getting really long when you roll a six at the start of the day? I fixed my beacon and chased the creature off like four times on my second day and the log is already almost a full page written out (gonna record them and post here when I'm finished) and I still have two cards to discuss.

As it's written, that's the way it goes. I found that games either went way too fast or way too slow like that. I home-brewed a solution that I would just do two cards a day, AM and PM. That seemed to be about right for me.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Doctor Zero posted:

As it's written, that's the way it goes. I found that games either went way too fast or way too slow like that. I home-brewed a solution that I would just do two cards a day, AM and PM. That seemed to be about right for me.

Right on, I might switch to a d4+1 cards instead or something like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I started playing my first session of Captain's Log and as I do I keep referring back to the book and I'm starting to realize that the book is a bit disorganized. For example, page 192 a section labeled "Momentum and Threat" tells you how momentum and threat work. Except, somehow, it fails to mention how momentum is generated (it does tell you how threat is generated though). That is on page 188 as part of a section on resolving tasks via dice rolls. I mean its good to mention it there because its part of the dice rolling mechanic, but you should probably repeat how momentum is generated in the section that tells you how momentum works, especially when I found only "Momentum" in the index, pointing at page 192, and nothing like "Earning Momentum" or "Generating Momentum" in the index.

I was also a bit frustrated when I looked at the Captain Log Supplement PDF that came with the core rules PDF (at least in my DriveThruRPG order) that includes some mission briefs and last minute Lower Decks License content. Several of the Mission Briefs in that refer to Scene or Location traits, but despite combing through both that supplement and the core rules PDFs (including Ctrl-F searching every instance of the word "Trait" in the core rules) I couldn't find any rules about Scene or Location Traits! I can deduce how they'd work based on how Traits for my character and starship work, but drat add that to the above and stuff like the alphabetically-ordered-but-rolled-on-a-bell-curve random tables and that is really rather annoying!

I am enjoying my play so far, but sheesh, this is really making me appreciate Shawn Tomkin's amazing layout and editing work on Starforged even more.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 23, 2023

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Starforged is, indeed, the gold standard for this kind of thing in terms of layout. It's very usable in other contexts, fortunately! I massively prefer Captain's Log's engine for Star Trek but need the more detailed stuff-building of Starforged.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I'm not even through Act 1 of my first session/episode and I've already found myself opening my Starforged reference PDF to use some of those Oracles.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At this point I'm convinced Modiphius assumed that anyone buying Captain's Log would already have a familiarity with STA.

This absolutely doesn't excuse lovely formatting, I say it just to point out that some of their very strange layout/content choices with Captain's Log almost have to be intentional, rite?

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Drone posted:

At this point I'm convinced Modiphius assumed that anyone buying Captain's Log would already have a familiarity with STA.

This absolutely doesn't excuse lovely formatting, I say it just to point out that some of their very strange layout/content choices with Captain's Log almost have to be intentional, rite?

Can't say I disagree, reading through it for the first time I thought maybe it wasn't intended as a stand-alone product and I was supposed to be referring to the STA core rules for some stuff

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In the end after reading through Captain's Log, the game that I am running is pretty much using core STA rules with a sprinkling of the Captain's Log stuff in there when it comes to mission generation etc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I had two incredible, horrifying, amazing galaxy brain ideas for a horror roll and write because World of Horror has been living in my brain rent free.

First idea was how to handle a variable timer without adding extra rolls to a system, a “doom track” kind of deal. The idea is simple. Rolling under your target deals you damage, rolling over your target succeeds but increases the Doom Track (or your Madness, I’m not sure which, but same difference in this case) by your overshoot.

And this next part I’m just going to paraphrase my train of thought.

Okay, cool, that’s a fun idea, but it’s way too swingy. Even 2d6 could suddenly lead to huge jumps in Doom. 1d6 would be better, but that’s very plain and hard to work with. Fate dice? Sicherman dice? Hm, possibly, but they’re kind of a specialty product, and it wouldn’t be reasonable to expect the average player to have those, unless they were to modify a normal die or something.

…five pipe on a d6 can be made into an X. Six pips can be made into an O. That’s 1d4 with two specialty sides that I can control the effects of based on the player’s abilities and what they’re doing. The player would have to choose whether to carry the burden of memory or carve a reminder into their face.

Of their dice. With a sharpie. But still!

And now I’m in the process of playing with the math of 2d4 and brainstorming ideas about what I want to do with the X and O. A simple critical hit/miss mechanic feels way too linear and flat and at that point I might as well just use d4s. Will report back with ideas later.

Fake Edit: My working title for the name of the modified die is a dO.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
will it have Kana, the best friend?

world of horror is so cool and a tabletop version sounds amazing

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So for Captain's Log, do others think 1 Task Roll should equate to one scene, or do people prefer to have multiple task rolls per scene as appropriate? From what I've read the book on page 231 does say "scenes are likely to have one or more dice rolls." but text in other areas of the book kinda implies that generally 1 task = 1 scene with the exception of Extended Conflicts (including combat). I do like the idea/challenge of trying to keep scenes to a single task, if only to keep things moving and avoid rolling for little things. Also as a sort of "you're running out of time/tasks in the episode, better solve that problem!" tension building mechanic.

I don't see myself always doing 1 scene = 1 task, however.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

will it have Kana, the best friend?

world of horror is so cool and a tabletop version sounds amazing
A system for allies will definitely be in the game. In fact, thinking about dice more, and I've decided on a core mechanic, plus also how I'll be handling allies. I also changed the name of the die to the dXO (pronounced 'de-zo'), since 'dO' isn't very descriptive, looks like 'd0' (de-zero), and trying to search for it in a document would give every appearance of the word "do" as well. Not great. dXO is more clear, more unique, and while 'DXO' shows up in a few places, '1dXO' is basically only used in very technical documents about human protein production.

The skill check system is very simple. Every check has a target number, a pass condition, a fail condition, and a single stat or modifier. You roll 1dXO. If you roll an X, you automatically fail. If you roll an O, you automatically succeed. Otherwise, add your roll to the stat/modifier, and compare it with the target number. If the total is lower than the target number, you fail. Equal or greater, and you succeed. However, if the roll was greater than the target, your actions were excessive, and you gain that many points of Madness. (This is bad.)

Skills and abilities can modify this, of course. For example, a positive effect might let you reroll Xs for a Madness cost, while a negative effect might make your Os count as excessive. But, at its core, it's exactly that simple, and everything else just adds on top of those rules, and bends them, rather than fundamentally changing them. At first I thought the auto-pass and auto-fail mechanics would be too linear, but the more I chewed on it, the more I realized it guarantees that things are never completely hopeless, but you're also never completely safe. That's exactly the kind of tone I want to go for.

Allies are extremely simple. Each has a passive effect, positive or negative, and for each ally you have (up to a max of 2), you get to roll an additional dXO, picking which one to use. However, the dXO you use for allies needs to be distinct in some way from the ones you roll yourself (color, size, etc.)... because if you use an ally's die, and gained even a single point of Madness as a result, instead of gaining it, that ally is gone permanently. This means you can carefully guard your allies, only using their aid when you're sure it's safe, or you can choose to sacrifice them to save yourself from a large Madness hit or a costly failure.

It's not a perfect system, but it's got an elegance to the design that tickles my brain in the right way, providing a lot of interesting tactical decisions without adding too much rule complexity or bookkeeping.

Edit: I'm also going to encourage players to scribble numbers and notes for their character in the margins of the notebook rather than using separate scratch paper, for that extra bit of 'book full of crazy ramblings' authenticity. Current working title for the game is A Blood-Stained Notebook. Ten nerd points if you figure out what classic eldritch horror short story that name is a reference to without looking it up.

Edit 2: Always have my best ideas when I’m lying in bed trying to sleep. Though, to be fair, this one came pretty directly from thinking about World of Horror again. Event determination is done with a deck of cards, as is standard with these sorts of games, with the core rules including 54 (52 + jokers) somewhat generic events. However, later expansions will each include a new stock of 54 new events themed in a more specific or focused way… and you can mix together as many different decks as you want, provided you have that many different decks of actual physical playing cards with distinguishable card backs.

“Wait, GDE, doesn’t that mean that by looking at the top of the deck, the player will be able to tell what theme the next event is from?” Yes! Yes it does. But instead of being a bad thing, it means the player knows vaguely in what direction to tilt their writing so that their next event doesn’t come across as a jarring change of genre.

Edit again: Possible character classes are each represented by one of the court cards (Jacks are simple, Queens intermediate, and Kings are complex), and the dark gods are each represented by one of the aces, so if you want to randomly decide what class and god to use, including every expansion you’re playing with, just draw cards from the top of the deck until you get your answers. (And then reshuffle.)

If I stop updating about my progress with creating this game, assume I’ve started writing the notes on the walls of my apartment with my own bodily fluids. :pseudo:

Edit again again: Figured out the stats I’ll be using and how you’ll be able to write them in a margin easily. Trying to remember your stats or what order they’re in? Just remember they represent your MEATS. Might, Endurance, Agility, Technical, Social.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 24, 2023

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So for Captain's Log, do others think 1 Task Roll should equate to one scene, or do people prefer to have multiple task rolls per scene as appropriate? From what I've read the book on page 231 does say "scenes are likely to have one or more dice rolls." but text in other areas of the book kinda implies that generally 1 task = 1 scene with the exception of Extended Conflicts (including combat). I do like the idea/challenge of trying to keep scenes to a single task, if only to keep things moving and avoid rolling for little things. Also as a sort of "you're running out of time/tasks in the episode, better solve that problem!" tension building mechanic.

Unless I totally misread it- I use the mission tracker with the 15 deltas, act one is five deltas and so on. I thought each delta was an action whether it's something I need to roll for or not.
So like my captain is in a situation and they're trying five things to resolve it before the act is up then the act is resolved whether I was successful or not.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, a standard mission is 15 Scenes and my understanding is scenes don't always need a task roll, but probably should most of the time. My musing is on whether or not a single task roll should always result in a "Scene change" so to speak.

Speaking of which, my first Mission/Episode/whatever is going well. Currently on Scene 8. So far its mostly stuck to the plot of the old FASA module, but only by fortune of the dice as at one point I rolled "Are the Klingons involved?" with Slightly Improbable (35%) odds of a "yes" and got a no, then when rolling a random threat got an alien life form - energy being result. So instead of the original module's weird blobby alien cosmozoans, I've got a power-draining energy ball to deal with.

One thing that I knew academically, but is still surprising me a bit as I play, is just how hard it is to outright fail a roll. Most of my rolls are vs a target number of 10 (or more), giving me at least a 75% chance of rolling at least single success on 2d20. In 7 scenes and 8 task rolls I've failed only one so far.

I do like the 15 scene, 3 act mission/episode structure so far. It was fun to reach Scene 5 and realize "oh, act 2 is about to start, I better introduce the primary threat now!". And ofc I'm only a couple scenes now from Act 3, so things are about to need to start moving towards the resolution.

I also like the encouragement to introduce each Act with a Captain's Log. :v:

S1E1: The Vanished, Act 1 Opening posted:

Captain’s Log, Stardate [Mid 2266]. It has been two weeks since Frontier has finished her post refit shakedown cruise. We are now en route to our assigned mission area near The Triangle, a course which sees us passing near Federation Deep Space Research Facility 39. Per Starfleet regulations, we will be extending them a courtesy call. A nearby magnetic storm may cause us some issues with signal quality, but I foresee no genuine trouble on this leg of our journey.

S1E1: The Vanished, Act 2 Opening posted:

Captain’s Log, Supplemental. I have led a Landing Party aboard DSR-39 after we mysteriously lost contact with the research facility. Upon arrival we found the station empty, its crew and occupants seemingly vanished. Our investigation so far has revealed that the occupants, at least some of them anyways, have been beamed away by what appears to be a transporter of Klingon origin. Matters have been complicated, however, by the appearance of some kind of anomaly or alien life form that appears to be attacking the station’s power systems...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think it depends on what you want to do in each scene.

My current mission, the first and second scenes were single rolls - one to try and beam people off a ship in distress, one to see if my science officer thinks the survivor is truthful. But a few scenes have had two rolls, and my fifth scene is three rolls.