Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just playing on normal and yeah thanks. Can give that a shot- my big moment was just going into hiding, getting spotted by a sentry (Just kinda 'wait what') and while everyone was stunned they got pixie'd

I'll try to just dodge more, honestly was having trouble telling if I was pushing the right button because Joker's dodge at least is just ultra smooth and fast that it doesn't come across as a dodge but I'll probably get more used to it as I play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just playing on normal and yeah thanks. Can give that a shot- my big moment was just going into hiding, getting spotted by a sentry (Just kinda 'wait what') and while everyone was stunned they got pixie'd

I'll try to just dodge more, honestly was having trouble telling if I was pushing the right button because Joker's dodge at least is just ultra smooth and fast that it doesn't come across as a dodge but I'll probably get more used to it as I play

Flying enemies can detect you even when hiding, if you're below them. You still can ambush though if you're quick enough.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah with the flying enemies, I tend to just open a fight with them by shooting them rather than trying to ambush them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think this game uses more "realistic" "stealth" mechanics than base P5 anyways, in that game you were basically undetectable while hiding, even if a Shadow would logically be able to see you given your positions. In Strikers I've been caught by ground-based enemies when my hiding spot put me in line of sight. Stealth in Strikers is still hilariously trivial compared to actual stealth games, but you at least have to put some effort into it, unlike P5.

In other news, I beat the game today. I'm probably not going to jump right into post-game or NG+, though. I'll just leave it as something to chip away at like the other Warriors post-games on my plate.

Ichinose's voice acting always bothered me personally as sounding super insincere, but post Plot in the seventh Jail I suppose it makes a lot more sense now. And her dialogue after Sophia's Awakening sounds a lot more natural too.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If you ever want to see some cool little foreshadowing go rewatch the scene back at Sendai. Once you introduce Sophia to her Ichinose's mask completely slips off for a second.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Commander Keene posted:

I think this game uses more "realistic" "stealth" mechanics than base P5 anyways, in that game you were basically undetectable while hiding, even if a Shadow would logically be able to see you given your positions. In Strikers I've been caught by ground-based enemies when my hiding spot put me in line of sight.

Though of course there's one particular stealth section where the Shadows won't see you even if you're in direct line of sight, as long as you're at a cover point. But that section would have been much worse if it had been more like the rest of the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Twelve by Pies posted:

Though of course there's one particular stealth section where the Shadows won't see you even if you're in direct line of sight, as long as you're at a cover point. But that section would have been much worse if it had been more like the rest of the game.
Yeah, that section would have been near-impossible if it worked by the rules the game had presented so far.

It was kinda fun to see Zenkichi acting like a real-rear end 40-year-old in that segment, though, and it drives home just how ridiculous and superhuman the poo poo the PTs do actually is. Naturally, the Metaverse is powered by belief, so there is a certain amount of "mind over matter" taking place there.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Actually a thought occurred to me today, I don't know if the game ever says it or not but if you assume Akane's grandparents that live next door are her paternal grandparents, that makes Zenkichi the rare JRPG protagonist whose parents are both alive and well and remain so for the entire game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

From what I observed, it might be wrong:

flying enemies are proximity based, not line of sight based, and they can spot you in any kind of hiding spot if they're close enough and above you, you still have some time to ambush after initial detection;
I've been hiding right on top of flying enemies and they couldn't detect me as long as the spot was fully above them;

normal enemies can spot you when hiding on top of things if you're in line of sight, ambush still possible;
I think there's an height component here too, standing on anything taller than a bus is usually out of line of sight;

corner hiding spots still work like in Persona 5 and block what should be sensible lines of sight. Flying enemies should still be able to sense you through these, but I'm not sure.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Actually a thought occurred to me today, I don't know if the game ever says it or not but if you assume Akane's grandparents that live next door are her paternal grandparents, that makes Zenkichi the rare JRPG protagonist whose parents are both alive and well and remain so for the entire game.

I think those are the parents of his wife.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hey now, Ann's are alive!

Other Persona playables whose parents are (as far as we know) alive: Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Rise. Of course of that set, none of them are ever mentioned aside from maybe a passing line or two.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Aren't Joker's parents alive too?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Omobono posted:

From what I observed, it might be wrong:

flying enemies are proximity based, not line of sight based, and they can spot you in any kind of hiding spot if they're close enough and above you, you still have some time to ambush after initial detection;
I've been hiding right on top of flying enemies and they couldn't detect me as long as the spot was fully above them;

normal enemies can spot you when hiding on top of things if you're in line of sight, ambush still possible;
I think there's an height component here too, standing on anything taller than a bus is usually out of line of sight;

corner hiding spots still work like in Persona 5 and block what should be sensible lines of sight. Flying enemies should still be able to sense you through these, but I'm not sure.

Actually, from what I observed the corner spots work like in Persona 5 vis-a-vis all enemies (even the flying ones). Not sure if the flying ones spotting you when you're sitting on top of something is working as intended or some sort of oversight; it seems to me that they intended for all types of cover to just protect you at all times like in persona 5 but somehow cocked it up when your character model is not entirely above the enemy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I just beat the first boss on my second attempt and the game really hated it. Joker kept using Ann's cut in image despite her being dead and when I won the level up screen for Sophia hard locked with text glitched and a black screen

Guess I'm doing it a third time??

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Hunt11 posted:

I think those are the parents of his wife.

Yeah he outright says he moved back to Kyoto because his in-laws lived there, so they could take care of Akane

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Alternative title for the ending.

Persona 5 Strikers: it's cause you be on that phone

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheLoser posted:

Alternative title for the ending.

Persona 5 Strikers: it's cause you be on that phone

I literally said this to my TV at least twice like a total idiot

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:thejoke:

My head

Could someone explain it? Behind spoilers if necessary.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hey now, Ann's are alive!

Other Persona playables whose parents are (as far as we know) alive: Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Rise. Of course of that set, none of them are ever mentioned aside from maybe a passing line or two.

P4 MC's parents are alive and well too since he transfers to Inaba to stay with Dojima while they're working overseas.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yeah he outright says he moved back to Kyoto because his in-laws lived there, so they could take care of Akane

Ah whoops, didn't remember he specifically said in-laws, ah well. Still I guess as far as JRPGs go the Persona series has much more characters with living parents than most games.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Well of course, hard to be a displaced teen rebel if you have nobody to rebel against.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Starsnostars posted:

Aren't Joker's parents alive too?
As are Yu's.

Omobono posted:

:thejoke:

My head

Could someone explain it? Behind spoilers if necessary.
EMMA takes advantage of how dependent people are on their cell phones to become as powerful as it does.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Commander Keene posted:

As are Yu's.

EMMA takes advantage of how dependent people are on their cell phones to become as powerful as it does.

More specifically, the phrase "it's cause you be on that phone" is a joke mocking hackneyed blaming of phone overuse by stuff like Black Mirror and the like.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished Jail 3 and yeah, the game is way way easier now it turns out. I'm enjoying it but man I want more points to spend on perks. I'm always excited to get more.

That all said and done I did wanna ask what the general thoughts on the games story is. If it's filler or pretty dang good- just simple not spoilery opinions. I haven't left Hokkido yet so maybe things will change on the Ferris Wheel but as it stands I'm just not getting grabbed by the mystery of the Jails. Alice's story I felt pretty eh on, it's a intro to the concept so cut it a lot of slack. Then the second Jail felt like Madarame v2 and I just do not give a drat about yosuke plots. He's a funny character but just kinda... not made for the spotlight, and it just felt like a retread in ways.
I chalked it up to this mysterious 3rd Jail and this being a excuse dungeon before a big reveal happens but then I did the third Jail and again nothing is really happening.

Just kinda feeling disconnected at that some point because it feels like everything so far has been 'woah a jail' -> meets evil person -> somehow enter and leave the jail multiple times a day till you beat up the person -> "Hey do you know anything?" "No" with a cut to Futaba going 'I found nothing again btw'.
Just ehhh hoping something that advances the actual plot happens

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

About to do the last part and this game owns so much, I was not expecting how much of a "true full Persona 5 sequel" the game was and it really hits hard, the second Will Power sequence owned

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished Jail 3 and yeah, the game is way way easier now it turns out. I'm enjoying it but man I want more points to spend on perks. I'm always excited to get more.

That all said and done I did wanna ask what the general thoughts on the games story is. If it's filler or pretty dang good- just simple not spoilery opinions.

Funny enough, you are right about to get to the point that might address your concerns

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That all said and done I did wanna ask what the general thoughts on the games story is. If it's filler or pretty dang good- just simple not spoilery opinions. I haven't left Hokkido yet so maybe things will change on the Ferris Wheel but as it stands I'm just not getting grabbed by the mystery of the Jails. Alice's story I felt pretty eh on, it's a intro to the concept so cut it a lot of slack. Then the second Jail felt like Madarame v2 and I just do not give a drat about yosuke plots. He's a funny character but just kinda... not made for the spotlight, and it just felt like a retread in ways.
I chalked it up to this mysterious 3rd Jail and this being a excuse dungeon before a big reveal happens but then I did the third Jail and again nothing is really happening.

Just kinda feeling disconnected at that some point because it feels like everything so far has been 'woah a jail' -> meets evil person -> somehow enter and leave the jail multiple times a day till you beat up the person -> "Hey do you know anything?" "No" with a cut to Futaba going 'I found nothing again btw'.
Just ehhh hoping something that advances the actual plot happens

Without spoiling, the mentioned sequence of events you're getting bored with is going to start changing pretty much exactly at the point you're at.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arist posted:

More specifically, the phrase "it's cause you be on that phone" is a joke mocking hackneyed blaming of phone overuse by stuff like Black Mirror and the like.

Yeah back when I first played the game it occurred to me that it's basically what you would get if the Persona writing staff (or really any JRPG writing staff) had to write an episode of Black Mirror.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol I am still laughing that I have seen this message, at the perfect time for it (massive endgame spoilers)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just started this, got to the gold bar delivery scene and max mittelman is swinging for the loving fences here, he sounds like a chew toy being stepped on

:geno:: Send it back.
:gonk:: SEND THE EFFIN THING BACK!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
You are going to enjoy Max Mittelman throughout, believe me

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
While I'd say the entire voice cast is much improved over P5 (where Max Mittelman was the best already), he still is a cut above everyone else, he's so good

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm enjoying the story way more now as a side update. I just finished Jail Six with Akira and got pumped when Rivers in the Desert got mixed. Couldn't hear poo poo on the new song after it but it's on my radar for when the games over. I really, really appreciate Ann just leaning on the fourth wall going 'now we are totally done for ever for sure.' because we absolutely aren't and everyone playing knows it already.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Where's Joker best weapon in merciless? Post-game boss again?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Got around to beating the final boss today, now I just need to knock out the post-game requests and I think that'll about do it for me. Took around 60 hours which is on par with most JRPGs.

Ending spoilers: I got a little worried when Sophia was like "Oh you guys go on ahead I'll go get Ichinose" that it was going to result in her sacrificing herself or something, but that didn't happen and I'm really glad. The final boss fight was kind of neat, using the entire party, though it wasn't particularly difficult. I was fortunate to have a decently leveled and powered Dominion to take advantage of EMMA's weakness.

But yeah with nothing but bonus bosses left I have to say, this was a really great game. The story was fine and took a few turns I didn't expect, and Sophia is absolutely wonderful. Zenkichi is great too, and I hope they stick around for future games.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I really liked the last boss fight in Strikers because I’m a big sucker for everyone doing something and reiterating the life lesson they learned while stuff blows up. Plus one of the balls was weak to the power of GUN and it’s really fun to mow things down with Ann’s SMG.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

S.D. posted:

I really liked the last boss fight in Strikers because I’m a big sucker for everyone doing something and reiterating the life lesson they learned while stuff blows up. Plus one of the balls was weak to the power of GUN and it’s really fun to mow things down with Ann’s SMG.

I lucked out on placement for that and one of you talked up Ann’s machine gun usage. She ended up taking down not only the ball weak to gun but another one as well before she ran out of ammo. good times

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do kinda wish the last boss fight had something more interesting for the other party members to do than whack stationary orbs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Quick word of warning for anyone who hasn't done the post-game requests yet, so they don't get stuck in the same situation I did.

If you accept both the Painful Past request to defeat Demiurge again, and also accept the request to beat the Shadow of God, if you do Demiurge first you will immediately be thrown into the Metatron boss fight afterwards with no chance to save or change your team. Your team will be whatever you had before doing the Demiurge fight, so be sure you have a decent team set up for Metatron before doing Demiurge. You don't want to be like me and go in with literally the worst team possible, which is Haru and Makoto, since Metatron nulls psychic and nuclear. I was fortunate to have Yatagarasu as a mask drop from climbing the tower, otherwise I probably wouldn't have beaten it (or would have had to expend enormous resources) and redone the Demiurge fight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the game myself and thought the ending was really cool. It just kinda suffers vanilla P5's curse in regards to the final boss. Yaldaboth was easy as all hell and I could ignore basically all of it's gimmicks because it died so fast. Here it's the same thing. The orbs were made of tissue paper and demiurge just kinda died.

I have Royal but haven't played it yet. Is it's final boss/setting better? Not asking for spoilers but just want that push to go into it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there any particular formula involved for grinding each character's Mastery skills? i got all of joker's before even finishing the first palace and now i'm just jumping between other characters to give them points where i can (though since the first palace overwhelmingly favors a ryuji/ann/morgana party they're getting first dibs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pretty much just play as whoever still doesn't have them unlocked and they come in pretty quickly, you can get them all completed by the fourth dungeon if you don't spend too long playing characters who are already maxed out.