Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The other thing that really grinds my gears about Silent Hill 2 is that SH1 is 1. significantly scarier 2. also has a way more interesting story and surreal component to it just because they were willing to leave some thing unanswered. SH1 has a ton of weird components to it that people are willing to just let be part of the game's atmosphere, or admit that it kind of just didn't make sense. SH2 had the documentary where the devs basically said everything in the game has a hidden meaning and every decision was made on purpose and that if you just think hard enough you can solve the game's secret. Which, like, is complete bullshit because the times when the game does do foreshadowing it's super obvious and hamfisted. It feels really disingenuous on the dev's part to say "well you just didn't get it" to the obvious plot holes or how things weren't explained. Like, the fake elevator game show isn't interesting because it ties together the lore components, it's cool because it's weird and scary.

An example of this sort of thing that I do like is Room 237, which is a collection of fan theories about "The Shining," but without Kubrick chiming in and being like "uhhh actually this is all true." It's much more of a celebration of the theories themselves, as they go so far as to collect even the most out-there ones

ymgve posted:

Also there's the batshit ones, like that the entire game is a metaphor for circumcision

This one is hilarious and rules because everyone calls this guy dumb and stupid but there is exactly as much in-game evidence for this as the Car Trunk theory which literally everyone who is into SH2 believes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you mod the game you can noclip into the car trunk and see that there's just a pile of clothes in there, which you'd think would immediately disprove the theory but actually that's evidence that they must have planned for the car trunk to open at some point so it must be special and important

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

haveblue posted:

If you mod the game you can noclip into the car trunk and see that there's just a pile of clothes in there, which you'd think would immediately disprove the theory but actually that's evidence that they must have planned for the car trunk to open at some point so it must be special and important

Don't forget the confirmation tweet from one of the devs that says that it's there. Sorry, wait, the dev didn't say the trunk, they said the backseat, that you can see into during the game and can see with your eyes that its not there.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo RE: Village is out today- early reviews seem to indicate "RE7 but more action-ey" which has me excited for blastin'

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I thought Bison died before the events of SF3 which is why every game since then has been a prequel?
Yeah, and all of Shadaloo is gone too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aw Yiss I can't wait

Speaking of minigames, I've unlocked the Thieves Den in Persona 5 Royal so even if the actual game takes 2 minutes to finish that day I can still waste a bunch of time playing that card game

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

After a uh, well frankly super crashy launch of Persona Strikers (on PC at least) and getting distracted by other games and the game getting patches to fix it I'm finally getting back into it. Apparently I was only like a half dungeon and an hour of cutscenes away from getting what I assume is my final party member and uh...haha wow.

I don't know what I was expecting but it sure wasn't 'what if Les Mis was Bloodborne'.

Everything about that moment is amazing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Don't forget the confirmation tweet from one of the devs that says that it's there. Sorry, wait, the dev didn't say the trunk, they said the backseat, that you can see into during the game and can see with your eyes that its not there.

Being able to see something or not see something isn't exactly out of the norm for silent hill though, considering the letter James has.

I hadn't heard of the car trunk theory though.

As for batshit game theories, Squall being dead after disc 1 of FF8 is pretty well known as far as that kinda thing goes and it's a pretty fun one too since it almost makes sense.

A silly game theory I like is that Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is actually just an action movie film adaptation of the book Nastasha wrote about the events of MGS1

e: and that Metal Gear Ghost Babel is canon to the series but as a simulation for Raiden to go through as an abstraction of the events of Metal Gear Solid.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 7, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I get vertigo sometimes and one way to trigger it for sure is to lie on my back and let the sky fill my field of view. After a few seconds, I get an uncontrollable, instinctual pang of fear that I'm gonna fall into the sky. I've got it under control enough that it's actually fun to do that now but when I was a kid boy was it weird.
Oh hi someone who knows the same sensation.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
After burning out on marathon sessions of Monster Hunter World with goons, Cruelty Squad provided me with one hell of a gaming whiplash. An FPS take on Hitman where you hunt down assassination targets in open-ended levels, the game feels like it was scraped from the bottom of a 2000's-era "500 Games" CD you found at a flea market.

Between the eye-searing visuals, bizarre music (I'd describe it as "MIDI-Punk"), and the dreamlike, barely-coherent level design and narrative, Cruelty Squad managed to steal my attention away from every other game for a good 20 hours or so. Enemy behavior was braindead, I died multiple times to frustrating situations and the UI actively fights against you the entire game, but man does this game ooze FYAD energy:

After doing just about everything in the game short of buying a house with my stock market/fishing profits, I'll probably keep it shelved until the final release. That being said, the game is pretty much complete in its current state, for what it's worth.

Also, GOATSE TECH

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hogama posted:

Oh hi someone who knows the same sensation.

lol the other surefire way to trigger it is those loving three floor malls with the little transparent half partitions that barely keep you from plummeting to your doom

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What's a mall

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

it's just like a mini mall but maller

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

It is called the mall because instead of going to one shop you go to them all.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

Its where teens skateboard and make old people nervous

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

According to the game I just played, it's where people gather to enjoy meatoid pizza and buy multiple identical copies of the smash-hit Gorbino's Quest from the local Game-Game:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

what you gotta catch to be a Pokemon Master

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Malls were places where you used to have an EB Games and a Gamestop, then one bought the other and you'd have the bizarre reality of being in one area with two Gamestop'ses. Gamestops.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

a big building that used to have video game stores in it. and some other stuff i guess

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Malls were places where you used to have an EB Games and a Gamestop, then one bought the other and you'd have the bizarre reality of being in one area with two Gamestop'ses. Gamestops.

I have the privilege of living close to the mall of America which has 3.

Also a theme park in the middle and an aquarium in the basement but it's all about those GameStops

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

It's like an Amazon warehouse that you can go inside and shop in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ligma malls!!!!!!!!!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It sucks that FF7R-2 won't be out for like another 7 years :(

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

well drat, i guess i better get to judgement now that a sequel got confirmed

...after i finish 13 sentinels. ...and nier. ...and the entire mgs series because it's apparently weird to, and i quote, 'own the entirety of a franchise you know nothing about and have never touched', according to some people.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mix. posted:

it's apparently weird to, and i quote, 'own the entirety of a franchise you know nothing about and have never touched', according to some people.

i guess they're not steam users

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

It sucks that FF7R-2 won't be out for like another 7 years :(
Considering all the assets and mechanics to re-use, I doubt this - it only took a year to make a Yuffie DLC...

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

It's what you've seen, if you've seen Juan.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Perhaps in seven years the ps5 will be in stock, so I can see about maybe playing FF7 remake

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Malls are those mostly empty, mostly dark buildings old people use as indoor tracks.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Perhaps in seven years the ps5 will be in stock, so I can see about maybe playing FF7 remake
PC PC Uber Alles

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grouchio posted:

PC PC Uber Alles

Perhaps in eight years GPUs will be in stock

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Being an old, I was looking around the internet for my favorite old games and came across this

https://twitter.com/Microids_off/status/1389603484354424834

I loving love me some Flashback but who even is asking for this?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pwnstar posted:

Theres like 3 of those and two of them have weird fetish aspects also.

One of em is only like a year older than Joker to be fair.

I find dating futaba the most troubling because it's blatantly enabling her codependence.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What on earth is this?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Archer666 posted:

You willed it into existence...

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Acerbatus posted:

What on earth is this?

Teamfight tactics

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Acerbatus posted:

What on earth is this?

Six months of development time that could have been spent on part 2 is what it is. :argh:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's a mall

its where you go to get a pretzel

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

You willed it into existence...

So this is what Kayne meant when he said that no one man should have all this power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Archer666 posted:

Being an old, I was looking around the internet for my favorite old games and came across this

https://twitter.com/Microids_off/status/1389603484354424834

i read the other day that flashback started as a licensed side-scrolling action game based on the godfather movies. you might think that they turned it into a science fiction game after losing the godfather license but it turns out that they lost the license because they made a science fiction godfather game