Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nothing can ever beat "The first rule of being a ninja is: do no harm.... Unless you mean to do harm, in which case, do lots of harm." from the Nick series.

But...ninjas were assassins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Sequel green lighted.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/11/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-movie-sequel-confirmed-and-theres-a-release-date-4828151/

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
I was a huge TMNT fan as a child and will find a way to enjoy pretty much any turtle related media if given half a chance.

I liked that the turtles were gross looking. That was a big theme in the toy line that hasn't really showed up in any of the movies. The plot was straightforward Saturday Morning Cartoon bad guy stuff, with clear if ridiculous motivations, which was good. Almost every detail of that plot made no sense given a little thought though, which was bad. Most of the action that involved Shredder was pretty cool, dude was a beast.

Biggest problem was that there weren't a lot of genuinely "fun" scenes for the turtles to show off their personality. The elevator thing was great, but most every other opportunity they had they opted to have Michelangelo talk about banging April.

I rate it below the 2007 film in terms of "things I got a nostalgia kick out of" although it might be worth a rental later on if you grew up with this stuff. Can't really recommend it as a good popcorn flick on its own merits; if it weren't part of a franchise I don't think anyone would have any reason to see it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
So, as far as I see it TMNT is as good or slightly better as the recent GI Joe movies?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nothing can ever beat "The first rule of being a ninja is: do no harm.... Unless you mean to do harm, in which case, do lots of harm." from the Nick series.

This is my favorite Splinter line, but "I made a funny!" will always have a special place in my heart.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
93.7 million worldwide.

A wonderful line they quote from Forbes:

quote:

What was Paramount’s marketing strategy? No Fear. They didn’t respond to critics and pundits decrying Michael Bay as the ruiner of childhoods, the weird new designs, or who was or wasn’t playing Shredder and if the turtles were or were not aliens. Paramount knew that the vast majority of moviegoers weren't going to care about that stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

93.7 million worldwide.

A wonderful line they quote from Forbes:

Truer words are seldom spoken.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grendels Dad posted:

So, as far as I see it TMNT is as good or slightly better as the recent GI Joe movies?

I'd put it as better than the GI Joe movies, personally.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So if they knew no one would care, why did they cut out like 20 scenes and do reshoots and rewrites to horn in a non-entity Asian Shredder then? Wouldn't they have just stuck with their plan and not changed a drat thing?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

hypersleep posted:

I'm not sure why so many people are upset that the Foot are paramilitary in this movie. They were a bunch of paramilitary androids that mostly used guns in the 1987 cartoon, which the script writers were obviously inspired by. I mean, it's the 21st century, if you were a rich man with a corporate empire with ambitions of taking over a major American city, wouldn't you want your own platoon of Blackwater mercs instead of a bunch of Bujinkan dropouts in ninja costumes?

The cartoon had high-tech ninjas with cyber weaponry and mousers and other weird poo poo. I think I'd have preferred that because paramilitary feels generic and overused.

quote:

What was Paramount’s marketing strategy? No Fear. They didn’t respond to critics and pundits decrying Michael Bay as the ruiner of childhoods, the weird new designs, or who was or wasn’t playing Shredder and if the turtles were or were not aliens. Paramount knew that the vast majority of moviegoers weren't going to care about that stuff.

They responded to all those things. :confused:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think the reference is really to the fact that all their advertising was basically blaring the message "gently caress you, relax, we got this"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nipplebox posted:

The cartoon had high-tech ninjas with cyber weaponry and mousers and other weird poo poo. I think I'd have preferred that because paramilitary feels generic and overused.

They responded to all those things. :confused:

Yeah, I was going to say. They recast Shredder when people lost their poo poo, they fixed the origin when people lost their poo poo, they changed the title when people lost their poo poo ect.

tgnt.mgmt
Jan 8, 2012

DareToSlack posted:

The elevator thing was great, but most every other opportunity they had they opted to have Michelangelo talk about banging April.

I take no issue with this. A little more heavy handed than the original live action films, but still true to form.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I actually just got back from watching this--the Shredder fights are basically everything I could've wanted in the movie, especially that one scene where Raph catches Shredder's arm blades on the way down.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This movie isn't nearly as bad as its RT score. A lot of bitching and whining going around. As far as TMNT movies go, I'd argue this is the best one. I know that's not really saying much, but man the critics are hitting this movie hard.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003
Maybe it helped that I went into this movie not giving a drat about who produced it or the history behind the script changes but I thought the movie was great. I love their new look, I laughed my rear end off several times and teared up during Raph's speech to his brothers as they're falling.. Looking forward to release on home video so I can enjoy it again. I do hope the sequel expands on Shredder's origins which I can understand the complaints about him being shoehorned in but meh. This movie was about the turtles and the turtles are back and that makes me happy. :)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The turtles never left though? Unless you only watch movies ever and don't read comics, watch TV, or play video games, I guess.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Light Gun Man posted:

The turtles never left though? Unless you only watch movies ever and don't read comics, watch TV, or play video games, I guess.

Even then, they would've known about that hilarious TMNT Crisis on Multiple Earths movie where three different versions of the Turtles work together to fight the Ultom Shredder.

If not, they can watch it here on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csn1j65e7oQ

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

teagone posted:

This movie isn't nearly as bad as its RT score. A lot of bitching and whining going around. As far as TMNT movies go, I'd argue this is the best one. I know that's not really saying much, but man the critics are hitting this movie hard.

Right? And I feel sorry for the director of this film since EVERYONE seems to think it is Bay who directed it. Poor guy. These guys went out of their way to make the grown nerds as happy as possible, worked hand in hand with the franchise's creator, and still get pooped on. It was a good TMNT movie. It isn't a sacred cow ffs.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The interesting thing about the RT consensus is that the movie wasn't as bad as the critics wanted it to be. They say it's not great, but they wanted a train wreck.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
So Should I ask if the sequel will have that female 5th ninja turtle :v:, that series really went places....lame places.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Right? And I feel sorry for the director of this film since EVERYONE seems to think it is Bay who directed it. Poor guy. These guys went out of their way to make the grown nerds as happy as possible, worked hand in hand with the franchise's creator, and still get pooped on. It was a good TMNT movie. It isn't a sacred cow ffs.
I get your meaning, but I am sure he was expecting it, and the distinction won't be lost on the people who hire him for his next job. It just robs him of the dubious distinction of being known by the general public as being the director of a TMNT movie.

Also, I am willing to call it the best TMNT movie ever. That still makes it one of the worst movies I have ever seen. No part of it made any sense. Even compared to Transformers or GI Joe it's clear absolutely no effort was put into the script.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

I mean, this is clearly a terrible movie and any adult who liked it should feel bad about that fact. This should be incredibly obvious to anyone who has seen a good movie in their lifetime. I don't know why the fact that it made a lot of money is supposed to change that.

I don't know who directed the other TMNT movies either, these aren't exactly auteur pictures. The fact that this was assembled piece by piece by people who apparently have never read a TMNT comic or seen a good popcorn movie in their lives and weren't even the ones on the set responsible for executing their childish "vision" is exactly what it's so bad. The director was hired because union rules prevent you from crediting the decayed remains of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Vanilla Puddin' Power Pie from 1990 as the director of a movie, not for any skills or resume he had.

No one is sperging out about the "sacred history" of a children's cartoon franchise, they're just saying, make good movies. If it's impossible to make a good movie out of this material, then don't make one. Movies should be good: A controversial statement here in the CD.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

meat sweats posted:

I mean, this is clearly a terrible movie and any adult who liked it should feel bad about that fact. This should be incredibly obvious to anyone who has seen a good movie in their lifetime. I don't know why the fact that it made a lot of money is supposed to change that.

I don't know who directed the other TMNT movies either, these aren't exactly auteur pictures. The fact that this was assembled piece by piece by people who apparently have never read a TMNT comic or seen a good popcorn movie in their lives and weren't even the ones on the set responsible for executing their childish "vision" is exactly what it's so bad. The director was hired because union rules prevent you from crediting the decayed remains of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Vanilla Puddin' Power Pie from 1990 as the director of a movie, not for any skills or resume he had.

No one is sperging out about the "sacred history" of a children's cartoon franchise, they're just saying, make good movies. If it's impossible to make a good movie out of this material, then don't make one. Movies should be good: A controversial statement here in the CD.

I haven't seen it yet but that's wildly unfair to Liebesman, who is a pretty great director who has one of the more obviously "auteur"-y resumes of his generation in the sense that his movies are all really distinctively focused on the same kinds of ideas and images.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

meat sweats posted:

I don't know who directed the other TMNT movies either

The 1990 film was directed by Steve Barron who also directed Electric Dreams and Coneheads and the music videos for Toto's "Africa", A-Ha's "Take On Me" and Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" and almost nothing else of note. He's currently directing TV movies so his career didn't really go anywhere even though the 1990 TMNT film was apparently "the first independent feature to break the 100 million-dollar theatrical barrier".

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze was directed by Michael Pressman who also directed Doctor Detroit, a Bad News Bears sequel and a whole bunch of TV shows and movies and almost nothing else of note.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III was directed by Stuart Gillard who also directed a whole bunch of TV shows and movies and almost nothing else of note.

The 2007 CGI film was directed by Kevin Munroe who's currently working on a Ratchet and Clank film and hasn't directed anything else of note.

Jonathan Liebesman is a fairly new director but at least he's got The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, Battle Los Angeles and Wrath of the Titans under his belt.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SirDrone posted:

So Should I ask if the sequel will have that female 5th ninja turtle :v:, that series really went places....lame places.

The show had exactly one good idea and they didn't really do much with it. Right at the beginning, Shredder is defeated and the foot disbanded. Later, Shredder is literally homeless and the turtles find him and they sort of kick around the concept of if they could forgive him or not and it doesn't really go anywhere. That right there was a decent plot idea, so of course it's in like, 5 minutes of one episode or something and then it's back to turtle tits and monkeys in business suits.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Saw this last night. A number of decent bits, but didn't really gel together.

The final confrontation against Shredder was well done. The animation work and choreography for him (I assume he was all CGI) was impressive. I really liked the way he lept into action without restraint the instant there was someone to go against. By that point in the movie he was all-business. And they gave him an impressive blend of speed and weight that's hard to pull off.

Didn't care for the voice work, though. Johnny Knoxville does not sound like a teenager.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I just got back from seeing it. It wasn't by any means perfect, but I really enjoyed myself.

It isn't the turtles I grew up with, and I am okay with that. I like how it makes them feel new again, as opposed to a stale 80s rehash. I think, for the most part the same spirit is there.

I think my biggest issue is that it tried to straddle the line too much between silly, goofy fun and a serious action flick. It highlights how absurd the concept is to start. Calling a grown man Shredder is just silly.

I liked the turtle design more than I thought I would, each is unique and aims to connect you with their personalities. The only complaint I have is that Leonardo got robbed. As kids in the 80s, Leonardo was top dog and people would fight to be Leo when kids were playing turtles. He didn't do a whole lot in the movie, at least not enough to really establish a personality.

There were some other little things that were goofy, the evil plot to destroy New York was weird, but the turtles themselves were good. I definitely left wanting more. I wanted to see more of them just doing normal stuff, hanging around at home and being themselves.

Not the horrible abortion I had expected, and I am glad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Didn't care for the voice work, though. Johnny Knoxville does not sound like a teenager.

Both Leo and Raph did not sound like teenagers. I thought Noel Fisher's Mikey was great though. "Have you see that video where the cat plays chopsticks... with chopsticks?!"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I didn't think Mike sounded like a teenager either, but the voice performance was definitely fun in places. I thought Donatello came across as the most clearly the age they're supposed to be, probably helped by him being the smallest.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Roydrowsy posted:

As kids in the 80s, Leonardo was top dog and people would fight to be Leo when kids were playing turtles.

This is not my experience, but Leonardo was always my favorite.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

teagone posted:

Both Leo and Raph did not sound like teenagers. I thought Noel Fisher's Mikey was great though. "Have you see that video where the cat plays chopsticks... with chopsticks?!"

They should have used the voice actors from the current nick cartoon. Especially Mikey.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, I was going to say. They recast Shredder when people lost their poo poo, they fixed the origin when people lost their poo poo, they changed the title when people lost their poo poo ect.

I'm really starting to wonder if a lot of the early "rumors" were just an elaborate troll on the public to see how people would react. Just seems too convenient that they talk about changing the origins and characters, then all of a sudden decide to go back to a more original take on everything after public backlash.

Roydrowsy posted:

There were some other little things that were goofy, the evil plot to destroy New York was weird, but the turtles themselves were good. I definitely left wanting more. I wanted to see more of them just doing normal stuff, hanging around at home and being themselves.

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but this reminded me of the original where all the turtles are hanging out at April's place watching TV. "Aw, you're letting him blow right by ya! Can you believe this guy? Come on! Don't just...! Ninja-kick the drat rabbit!"

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 13, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Ozz81 posted:

I'm really starting to wonder if a lot of the early "rumors" were just an elaborate troll on the public to see how people would react. Just seems too convenient that they talk about changing the origins and characters, then all of a sudden decide to go back to a more original take on everything after public backlash.

I'm pretty sure the original script is floating around online, so nah.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Johnny Knoxville just seems wrong for Leo. He feels like he'd be a better fit for Raphael.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is it considered :filez: to post the leaked script? Does anyone still care at this point? Because if people will read it I will dig it out and post it.

Otherwise here's a video that summarizes it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFT8wi5ADgg

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Dacap posted:

Johnny Knoxville just seems wrong for Leo. He feels like he'd be a better fit for Raphael.

I agree he was an odd choice for Leo, but I honestly felt he would have been better as Donny. Raph? Hell no. You need someone that can overly pissed off emotionally unstable Raph does, and make it not feel forced but like someone that has legit anger issues. Knoxville doesn't give me the impression he can do that convincingly. I still think he would make a good Deadpool though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Is it considered :filez: to post the leaked script? Does anyone still care at this point? Because if people will read it I will dig it out and post it.

Otherwise here's a video that summarizes it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFT8wi5ADgg

I got probated for linking to a script before so it's not a good idea to.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I had no interest in seeing this as I thought it would suck, but everybody everywhere keeps saying it was actually good and not that bad.

Well, I disagree, this movie loving sucked, also I like your avatar Darko, big fan of Aidan Gillen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

That leaked script sounds like it could've been an utter train wreck but it sill sounds more interesting than the generic movie we got. At least it embraces the weirdness of the franchise.

• Locked thread