Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Put the wheels in the trunk and bungee the tires to the roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm looking to get a pair of motorcycle specific boots. Last year when I bought a helmet, I went up to Thiel's Wheels in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, a Harley dealer, to try various sizes on. I remember that they stocked some Sidi boots so I decided to drive up there a few days ago to try some out. With girlfriend and two friends in tow, we walked in. Immediately, we were approached by the same salesman that pulled a lot of high pressure poo poo on me last year.

"So what kind of bike you looking for?"

I tell him I already have one and I'm just looking at gear. He tells me they're in the back in a tone that says "stop looking at the bikes if you're not buying."
As I'm in the back fitting helmets for my girlfriend, my friends are looking at scooters. They're eyeing a Honda Ruckus out of curiosity, and the dude approaches them with no sign that they even wanted to talk about it.

"You don't want that, they top out at 35 MPH. Check this out." He then points to a $7000 Yamaha Majesty. After wasting 5 minutes extolling the virtues of this thing, he says "Let's go to my office and do the paperwork." My friend tells him that they're just looking. So they look at bikes some more, and the dude follows them around and pulls the same poo poo again and again. He tried selling them a loving Speed Triple of all things. My friend weighs 300 lbs. Not happening.

While that poo poo is happening, my girlfriend and I decide that an HTC CL-16 in small is perfect. A different salesman comes up to me. I remember him being really helpful with fitting a helmet for me last year and he is really the only reason I went back instead of checking out something two hours away. He asks what we're looking for and such. I start to tell him we were looking at helmets and fitting one for her. He asks which one, I reply with the HJC. He begins to pick it up and I tell him that we already found out that a small would be good, but the HJC is still in the maybe column. He picks it up and starts walking to the counter and I have to end up telling him that we're not buying it today. Mostly because they wanted $140 for it. Partly because gently caress him.

After trying out some jackets in the Triumph section and admiring a purple Street Triple, we somehow didn't get hassled into buying it. It's about time to go and I notice that the boots aren't where they were last year. I ask a different salesman if they still stock them, and replies with a no. He tells me that he can order them and asks me what size I want. I tell him that I really wanted to try them out.
"What size shoes do you wear?" He asks.
I replied with "Anything between 10 and 12." In the vague hope of letting him know that I really just wanted to try them on first. I don't have gout.
"Let's order a size 10.5"
"Uh sorry, but I'd really like to try them before popping down $250."
Jesus loving christ.

Out of morbid curiosity, we made our way to the Harley half of the store. The $32,000 Tourer set the tone for this section. It was absolutely dominated by t shirts. The walls were adorned with various chrome fittings and graphic windshields. I checked out the price tag for a t-shirt.
$37

We immediately left, went home, and ordered an HJC CL-16 in white for $92 total from motorcyclegear.com.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

astrollinthepork posted:

funny story

This is hilariously true.

Last year when my friends and I were just starting to check out some bikes around the area, we had to drive about an hour to get to any good used bike shops. We got some good ideas and then decided to drop in on the HD shop on the way home.

Immediately upon entering the store "so what kind of bike are you guys looking for today?"

And that's when my friend starts in "oh yeah I want something with some power."

We all knew he wasn't wanting a HD. Also his budget was 3k for a used bike. But he dresses well. They bought it.

He was shown at least 5 bikes while my other friend and I were just browsing, constantly getting hassled about why we don't own harley's yet.

Finally my affluent friend comes back with the sales dude right behind him "I'm just not seeing what I'm looking for today. Wait." he points to an old rear end ford wagon truck thing that's obviously a display "how much for the wagon" dead serious in his eyes.

"That's not for sale."

"But I've got money. How much you want for it?" it was the hardest thing in the world not to laugh. We were not expecting this.

"It's really not for sale. But I don't think I showed you this other bike"

"Not interested. Let's roll"

and we all piled back into my family SUV and rode.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

So, I just had a lady pull out in front of me on Railway street next to the bridge, didn't see me and just started to pull out so I honked my horn and she stopped (woo!). Nothing really unusual there, heaps of people apparently don't have eyes - the odd thing is that she then followed me to the shops, got out of her car and then came running up to me to apologise!

That's a first!

The red circle is where she pulled out, the red is the path she followed me in, and the yellow is where she jumped out and ran to me. It's not very far, but she followed me into the shop then turned around after we'd chatted and walked straight back to her car and drove off. She just followed to say sorry :O

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That's pretty surprising. Yesterday a lady came to a yield and looked at me, then pulled out in front of me anyway. I buzzed the poo poo out of her mercedes on the double yellow. It happens all the time but then my instinct is to get around instead of use the horn. I can't even remember the last time I used it in a car or bike.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I slow down, swerve and use the horn.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gnaghi posted:

That's pretty surprising. Yesterday a lady came to a yield and looked at me, then pulled out in front of me anyway. I buzzed the poo poo out of her mercedes on the double yellow. It happens all the time but then my instinct is to get around instead of use the horn. I can't even remember the last time I used it in a car or bike.

That's your mistake; assuming she's sentient.

Drivers might look like us, but they ain't us, son. Oh sure sometimes they act like they know what's up but it's just muscle memory; she wasn't looking at you, she was just moving her eyes and head that way like she's done a hundred times before.

Don't feel bad about putting a Driver down, it's the kindest thing really. Removing the head or destroying the brain, simplest way.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I figured buzzing them was putting them down. Sometimes instead I just wait until the next red and calmly split to the front. One thing splitting on the highway has taught me is lovely drivers really need to feel like they're winning a race, so getting in front in less then five seconds really pisses them off (probably for hours).

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Some dick woman in a SUV (I whined about this yesterday) tried merging into me, I was expecting it anyway so I just tapped on the brakes and backed off.

Stopped at the next traffic light, the guy in the car behind me is waving at me, pointing at the lady and making the universal gesture for "crazy white woman in a SUV" which just happens to be the same for "crazy <whatever> in a <whatever>" so I just shrugged.

Nothing I could really do, honking my horn when she was that close could have made her swerve into me, pushing me off the road.

All people are poo poo drivers, myself included.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

So I have what is basically the most shameful first world problem.

I have the itch. Every few years I get the itch to get something new, bike-wise. I've already been saving for a DRZ supermoto, but I've been noticing that the used bike market has been crazy around here lately. Bikes are going for 25% more than they normally would in some cases. I think its spring bike buying fever combined with fear of $5 gas this summer.

Seriously. What the gently caress is up with the used market these days? Cheap KLRs used to be a dime a dozen, now I can't find one in good shape with low miles for less than $3k, regardless of year. It sucks, I really wanted to buy my girlfriend a dual sport.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's the spring, enduros and dual-sports and supermotos are getting popular, and everyone is scared of gas going up to 5 dollars a gallon and so are deciding they'll save money by getting a motorcycle.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sagebrush posted:

It's the spring, enduros and dual-sports and supermotos are getting popular, and everyone is scared of gas going up to 5 dollars a gallon and so are deciding they'll save money by getting a motorcycle.

I never understood that. If you're that tight with money, you're probably driving an econobox that gets similar mileage to most bikes with less overall cost of ownership, too, when gear and maintenance are factored in. Also, why would dual sports get more popular than street bikes in the spring, when street bikes can "only" be ridden when it's nice out?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's not rational thinking. It's people who currently drive SUVs that cost a hundred bucks to fill thinking "oh jeez I should just get a motorcycle, that's cheaper than any car!" without really considering the actual costs of riding. Impulsive behavior.

And dual sports I think are just popular because they're what is starting to be in fashion. My guess is that the cafe craze is blowing over and the real bleeding-edge hipsters are going to be picking up DRZs and enduros and stuff.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sagebrush posted:

It's not rational thinking. It's people who currently drive SUVs that cost a hundred bucks to fill thinking "oh jeez I should just get a motorcycle, that's cheaper than any car!" without really considering the actual costs of riding. Impulsive behavior.

And dual sports I think are just popular because they're what is starting to be in fashion. My guess is that the cafe craze is blowing over and the real bleeding-edge hipsters are going to be picking up DRZs and enduros and stuff.

Makes sense. Can buying a motorcycle EVER be a rational decision? :)

And I seriously can't wait until the KLR is a hipster bike. The snake eats its own tail.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Christ, don't say this!

Funny thing around here, DS bikes have lost value, the bike I picked up for 4500 with few kms a few years ago would be lucky to get 3500 with not much more on it (when I got the P200E, I've put a lot less kms on the KLR). But the market around here is really screwy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

the real bleeding-edge hipsters are going to be picking up DRZs and enduros and stuff.

Well in that case, I was into vintage 2-stroke enduros before they were cool.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SpannerX posted:

Christ, don't say this!

Funny thing around here, DS bikes have lost value, the bike I picked up for 4500 with few kms a few years ago would be lucky to get 3500 with not much more on it (when I got the P200E, I've put a lot less kms on the KLR). But the market around here is really screwy.

It seems like geography plays a big part in DS/enduro value. They're hecka expensive in Colorado, probably largely because this is a loving awesome state to have a DS in.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Motards can be popular in cities too because who doesn't want to hop the curb and ignore the traffic every now and then? There's also a lot of "Urban adventure riding" which is riding in places like spillways and construction lots, Of course there's the guys that hop loading docks too.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
So the CL-16 we ordered does not fit her at all. I'm doubting that HJC doesn't have a huge variance of size in their small helmets and betting that the one we tried at Thiel's was labeled incorrectly. I should've checked the tag.

Off to Iron Pony to exchange it for an XS tomorrow. Here's hoping that I don't get the same treatment as I did at Thiel's. I should go ahead and pretend I'm interested in some $15k super sport, do all the paperwork, and act surprised when he sees my 590 credit score.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not to be a downer but I will say I just spent a season with that helmet and the mounting plates and visors were nothing but trouble for me. Others haven't had the same problem it seems but it was enough of a pain to me that I won't get another one. I sent mine back for a warranty repair after one of the base plate nuts inside the helmet stripped, they said it would be 2-4 weeks to get it back if they repaired it, or they'd just issue me store credit if it was unrepairable. After 4 weeks with no helmet I asked for an update, and they're now crediting me for the helmet saying it can't be fixed.

I'll be picking a different helmet.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

nsaP posted:

Not to be a downer but I will say I just spent a season with that helmet and the mounting plates and visors were nothing but trouble for me. Others haven't had the same problem it seems but it was enough of a pain to me that I won't get another one. I sent mine back for a warranty repair after one of the base plate nuts inside the helmet stripped, they said it would be 2-4 weeks to get it back if they repaired it, or they'd just issue me store credit if it was unrepairable. After 4 weeks with no helmet I asked for an update, and they're now crediting me for the helmet saying it can't be fixed.

I'll be picking a different helmet.

I spent last season and the past two months with mine. I ordered another one for myself in flat black :3:

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Sagebrush posted:

Oh God this is what I've convinced myself/my wife of! :ohdear:

In my mind it makes more sense for me to put miles on a cheap motorcycle then continuing to run my shitbox car into the ground. Well, that and I've wanted a motorcycle forever, so there's that too...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boru posted:

Oh God this is what I've convinced myself/my wife of! :ohdear:

In my mind it makes more sense for me to put miles on a cheap motorcycle then continuing to run my shitbox car into the ground. Well, that and I've wanted a motorcycle forever, so there's that too...

Well, the "but bikes are cheaper!" argument does make an awesome argument for your wife. Just hide the credit card bills with all your gear purchases, and flaunt the cheap gas receipts!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, when you're adding up the costs to compare, remember to include

MSF course ($50 to $400 depending on your state)
helmet ($120+)
other gear ($600 to thousands)
maintenance (more frequent than car, about the same price)
insurance (fairly cheap, but still an extra cost)

And then you still probably won't get more than double the fuel economy of an average econobox unless you're looking at scooters. If you just want the dirt-cheapest way to get to work, buy a beater metro or something.

But it's not a motorcycle! And that sort of trumps a lot of the above.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Well, when you're adding up the costs to compare, remember to include

MSF course ($50 to $400 depending on your state)
helmet ($120+)
other gear ($600 to thousands)
maintenance (more frequent than car, about the same price)
insurance (fairly cheap, but still an extra cost)

And then you still probably won't get more than double the fuel economy of an average econobox unless you're looking at scooters. If you just want the dirt-cheapest way to get to work, buy a beater metro or something.

Out here, I'm seeing a lot of this breakdown:
MSF: Skip
Helmet: Bandana, $4
Other gear: Harley t-shirt $37
maintenence: dealer, every 5k miles
insurance: still hella cheap for state minimums (liability only 25k)

And then they drive like a dong, screwing mileage, killing themselves, and keeping my insurance premiums down 'cause insurance doesn't pay to dead people.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that's around the wave-length I'm on right now.

Besides just wanting a *motorcycle* I also have the strange, unshakable dream of eventually buying a Ural and driving around with my great dane perched in the sidecar. :patriot:

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I currently have a GSX-R 750 that I'm looking to trade in for something more standard that will be comfortable for longer rides with a passenger. I've never owned anything other than Suzuki but today we speed in to look at Triumph.

What is the general consensus on Triumph? Are they reliable? I'm really digging the Bonneville and Thruxton. Any input is appreciated.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I've got a 2008 Bonneville. I really dig it, it's comfortable and easy to ride, and the style is cool. I've put off road pipes on it, upgraded the suspension, put rear-set controls on it, and different handle bars.

I just wish there were better luggage options available for it.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Armyman25 posted:

I've got a 2008 Bonneville. I really dig it, it's comfortable and easy to ride, and the style is cool. I've put off road pipes on it, upgraded the suspension, put rear-set controls on it, and different handle bars.

I just wish there were better luggage options available for it.

Awesome, thanks for the input. They sound pretty solid so I may be pulling the trigger on a Thruxton on Tuesday.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
As soon as a bike is dropped, from that moment on it will always be a "dropped bike". Why don't all bikes have those damage-preventing bars in the event of a drop? Not sure what they're called. Are they "uncool"?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

epswing posted:

As soon as a bike is dropped, from that moment on it will always be a "dropped bike". Why don't all bikes have those damage-preventing bars in the event of a drop? Not sure what they're called. Are they "uncool"?

They're called frame sliders. I don't think they're "uncool" because you usually don't even notice them. I think most people just never think to install them in the first place.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

epswing posted:

I put mine down today and felt like it was finally "My bike". It's sad that I have to wreck something to make it feel like it's mine, maybe I need a new initiation ritual...

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

There are few things I like less than riding in the rain at 70 mph while wearing an MX helmet. At that speed, big fat raindrops have a strange way of feeling exactly like a swarm of angry bees stinging your face. On the upside, I think I managed to partially exfoliate a peeling sunburn from skiing last week.

Eagerly awaiting a size S HJC CL-16 helmet; unfortunately the size M was not a good fit. Although it stayed on my head as I tried to move it around, I was able to turn the helmet enough to get the cheek pads clear from my face, which is not good.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 25, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Fangs404 posted:

They're called frame sliders. I don't think they're "uncool" because you usually don't even notice them. I think most people just never think to install them in the first place.

See now why in the hell don't they come standard, especially if they're not really noticeable.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

epswing posted:

See now why in the hell don't they come standard, especially if they're not really noticeable.

there's an argument that while they will most likely protect your bike from a standing or low speed drop, catching the end of those bars on any kind of edge, crack or dip in the pavement could possibly send the bike into a flip, making the bike that was sliding on it's fairing (which is kinda one of the reasons they're there) flip around and damage a lot more than it would have.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

epswing posted:

There's a difference between dropping a bike and crashing a bike. Frame sliders only prevent damage in a crash in a very specific kind of crash.

As far as the frame sliders being used to protect from dropping, just don't drop the bike. It's not hard to do. Don't listen to people that say you will drop your bike, that's stupid.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

front wing flexing posted:

Don't listen to people that say you will drop your bike, that's stupid.

Yeah I really hate hearing this. I understand it's a very real possibility, that's why at the moment I opted for full coverage with a $50 deductible (for the time being), but don't tell me what I'm going to do.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah I really hate hearing this. I understand it's a very real possibility, that's why at the moment I opted for full coverage with a $50 deductible (for the time being), but don't tell me what I'm going to do.

You tell em man.

To everyone else in the forum: Roll call for anyone who's first bike never touched the ground. Give a holler.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I crashed my first dirtbike when I was 12. On the road, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Wrecked dirtbikes my whole childhood, dropped my current bike on both sides, minor wrecked it once. Hell, it's fell over twice on its own accord. Once punching a hole through the cheapass concrete job here and another in a windstorm.