Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Thanatosian posted:

You have insurance? Comprehensive & collision? If so, then don't worry about the car getting totaled in an accident; your insurance will pay you out for it. If not, then get it, and stop worrying about it.

Oh wow, I had no idea. I guess I'm just worried that if my car is at a point where it could get totaled in an accident, I might not get more than a couple of thousand dollars and then you still will do better if you have a down payment saved up. (I might be significantly misunderstanding car wreck horror stories that happened to friends of mine)

quote:

And assuming you're in your 20s, you're right around average for mileage; a little low, even.

You aren't the first person to say that (I'm 27), so that makes me feel better. The car has been through a couple of interstate road trips and I'm getting much better about commuting with public transportation/consolidating trips to put fewer miles on my car.

quote:

The rest of this will require more information. What's your income currently? What's your one-year plan? Three-year plan? Five-year plan?

Income: 42,800

As for the yearly plans, that's kind of a struggle for me. I got a free financial advisor through my bank who advised me to pick out some short term goals and medium term goals, and it was difficult. I know I want to have enough for retirement and I have two major travel destinations left on my bucket list (China and a scuba trip to see whale sharks and a coral reef), but sketching out specifics is very difficult because I'm not really chained down to my current city with a boyfriend or kid or anything.

The closest I have is saving up for a new car when my current car falls apart. Maybe saving for a down payment if there's ever a buyer's market again wherever I'm living when I make that decision (again, not tied down with kids and also not in love with my local housing market).

I thought about starting to save up for fertility treatments/adoption because I have a condition that will probably make me infertile. I know that's jumping the gun since I don't even have a boyfriend, but my parents were caught off-guard by my mother's fertility problems and it was a gigantic financial/emotional strain that I would like to at least try to nip in the bud if I decide to have kids within the next 10 years.

How do people in my situation (late 20s, not tied down with a partner or children or debt, no property, etc) normally sketch out goals?

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Good with money: Adopt through the foster care system for free! And get paid by the state/county while you wait for their parents rights to be terminated!

(Full disclosure: I'm a child welfare social worker, please only do this if you can love a child with a serious trauma history unconditionally, but for real its super rewarding and you're not guaranteed a perfect child whichever way you go).

Also, at 27 you should familiarize yourself with how things like car insurance work. Will collision and comprehensive insurance you should get the full value of your car back from your insurance provider. If you're worried about your provider, see if you qualify for USAA - I've had very good experience with them paying out easily and quickly.

You don't need a goal to save, but it helps. If you're undecided, you need to pick a percentage of your income and hide it from yourself, either in retirement accounts or perhaps something like an online savings account (which you are already doing). If you put it in an online savings account, once it hits 10k make a decision - invest it, dump it in an IRA at the end of the year, buy a new car, book that vacation. Keep your emergency fund in that account or separately, don't count it towards the 10k.

Definitely contribute the $1800 to your retirement, that's a small amount and maxing out gives a ton of satisfaction. And it keeps you from impulse spending it!

Since you live at home, I think 3 months of living expenses if you suddenly had to survive on your own would be a good start (like if you get a job out of state).

PS: since I keep seeing people in these forums talk about adoption, anyone can feel free to PM me about what it might be like to be an adoptive foster parent.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Mocking Bird posted:

Definitely contribute the $1800 to your retirement, that's a small amount and maxing out gives a ton of satisfaction. And it keeps you from impulse spending it!

Totally agreed! I got some potentially dubious advice that money in your IRA goes further if you invest at the beginning of the year instead of in the latter half of the year. Would it be better for me to put in the $1800 as soon as I get it for 2015 (which would be July), or would it be more efficient to wait and put it in for 2016 so it can gather more interest?

As a note, if I decided to stop investing in my roth for 2015 and to start to save up to max out my 2016 roth deposits at the beginning of 2016, I would be putting in closer to $3000-$5000 since I would have more time to save.

I'm rereading what I just typed, and I'm not sure if this question makes sense... If it's more sensible to just put money in my roth right away, I can do that.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

legsarerequired posted:

Totally agreed! I got some potentially dubious advice that money in your IRA goes further if you invest at the beginning of the year instead of in the latter half of the year. Would it be better for me to put in the $1800 as soon as I get it for 2015 (which would be July), or would it be more efficient to wait and put it in for 2016 so it can gather more interest?

The contribution limit for IRAs is $5500. The advice is that if you have $5500 at the beginning of the year, it's better to put it all in at once rather than break it up into about $450 every month (dollar cost averaging). However, if you don't have that lump sum already saved up, it's better to put whatever you can now than not contribute for a year to save up that amount. The goal in both cases is to have your money invested for as long as possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're bad at driving to the tune of two accidents in 83k vehicle miles traveled, taking a defensive driving course could be a worthwhile investment.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I figure you guys can give me some advice on this. What little savings I have were drained last month by having to do car repair. Two weeks ago my heat pump on my primary home I am paying mortgage on went belly up and after 3 different looked at it, they all ended up with the same response. Fixing it would be temporary and I'd be just patching it for further trouble down the line so I should replace the system. The best quote I got was $4,800. Money that I don't have laying around. From what I can tell my options seem to be to try and get a bank loan, try to file hardship and withdraw it from my 401k, or possibly a home equity loan which I know absolutely zero about. Are there options I am missing or haven't thought about?

simble
May 11, 2004

I guess if you're really in a pinch you should see if your 401k program allows you to take out a loan from your 401k balance. You pay it back to the 401k with interest (that you keep). The cost is an initiation/administrative fee.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

AlexJade posted:

I figure you guys can give me some advice on this. What little savings I have were drained last month by having to do car repair. Two weeks ago my heat pump on my primary home I am paying mortgage on went belly up and after 3 different looked at it, they all ended up with the same response. Fixing it would be temporary and I'd be just patching it for further trouble down the line so I should replace the system. The best quote I got was $4,800. Money that I don't have laying around. From what I can tell my options seem to be to try and get a bank loan, try to file hardship and withdraw it from my 401k, or possibly a home equity loan which I know absolutely zero about. Are there options I am missing or haven't thought about?
Credit card with an introductory 0% APR, if you have good credit. But only if you know you can pay it off before the mega-huge APR kicks in. Also, only if you have the self discipline to not run a balance on it. This is a higher-risk option, obviously.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

A savings account with $5000 in it is roughly comparable to a credit card with a $5000 limit.

If you can manage the one, you can manage the other. Probably.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just got the Citi 2% cash back card with a $6k limit. It has 18 months of introductory 0% APR. if you have good enough credit, get a card like that.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

AlexJade posted:

What would it cost to patch it? If it is a few hundred dollars to do a temporary repair that might keep it going for a year or two, that is not a bad option while you save like crazy to fix it.

Also, heat pump? Is this what you have for a furnace? Or A/C?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zeta Taskforce posted:

What would it cost to patch it? If it is a few hundred dollars to do a temporary repair that might keep it going for a year or two, that is not a bad option while you save like crazy to fix it.

Also, heat pump? Is this what you have for a furnace? Or A/C?

Heat pump is reverse cycle aircon. You could try regassing if the external unit isn't completely hosed. For $4800 it must be a very large unit you're replacing.

For financing it a 0% card is probably the best way. Other approaches would probably be costly in interest or set up fees.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
In the long term, I'd like to start a business and work for myself, but I keep thinking about this one thing:

If I do well, then my company will pay a 35% corporate income tax, and the money I live on will then be taxed at the top income tax bracket of 39.6%, plus an extra 10% for state and local taxes, plus an extra 15% for social security since my own business would pay that. So why the hell would anyone start a business?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fruit loop posted:

In the long term, I'd like to start a business and work for myself, but I keep thinking about this one thing:

If I do well, then my company will pay a 35% corporate income tax, and the money I live on will then be taxed at the top income tax bracket of 39.6%, plus an extra 10% for state and local taxes, plus an extra 15% for social security since my own business would pay that. So why the hell would anyone start a business?

Because you can hire people, and then bill clients at 5x the rate you're paying your employees. The American dream.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

fruit loop posted:

Because that's not how taxes work.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

fruit loop posted:

Yeah, you should do some basic research on businesses. Not every business is a corporation and not every corporation type pays taxes directly. In addition, most start up businesses fail, so you probably won't have to worry about the doing well part anyway. You'll be lucky if you ever have the "problem" of being in the highest tax bracket.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Long story short if your business is small enough and organized correctly, you can get by with "pass through" taxation, where the profits and losses just flow into the owners individual tax returns as earned income without the corporate tax rate applying.

If your company is so big that's not an option and you're actually paying other people salaries, congratulations, now pay your taxes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you're making enough that you're being taxed at the highest bracket of 39.6% after corporate taxes are accounted for, I don't think you'll get much sympathy for your tax situation simply because you'd have to be grossing, as an individual, over $410k a year.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Not a Children posted:

If you're making enough that you're being taxed at the highest bracket of 39.6% after corporate taxes are accounted for, I don't think you'll get much sympathy for your tax situation simply because you'd have to be grossing, as an individual, over $410k a year.

His post is also conveniently ignoring that income tax is progressive. Even if you're wildly successful and end up "in" the 39.6% bracket, most of your income is getting taxed quite a bit lower than that.

Also real wealthy people don't pay much in income taxes, they pay a lot of capital gains taxes, which if they are LTCG are relatively low.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Yeah, the point is to become one of those wealthy people. Seems like it's impossible because the game is rigged to stop you from doing so but make sure that those who have remain so.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

fruit loop posted:

Yeah, the point is to become one of those wealthy people. Seems like it's impossible because the game is rigged to stop you from doing so but make sure that those who have remain so.

No all you need is an accountant to make sure you get all of the correct write offs so you minimise your tax. As noted above if you are hitting the top tax rate you would need to be grossing $410k per year. That is not the income of the working poor despite what CNBC report.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
where are you getting "working poor" from

do you even form thoughts in your head or were you just scanning threads looking for a chance to post that zinger

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

fruit loop posted:

where are you getting "working poor" from

do you even form thoughts in your head or were you just scanning threads looking for a chance to post that zinger

From your pissing and moaning about how everything is rigged, and you don't want to listen.

People moaning about earning large incomes and complaining about being poor is very common, and they are financially retarded.
http://frugaling.org/the-new-rich-middle-class/

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
if theyre so common then go find one of them to make yourself feel better lol

or point out where i complained about being poor? all i see is a complaint about obstacles to becoming actually for-real rich

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Obstacle 1: inability to read information about how taxes work

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
and thats really the most important one :/

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fruit loop posted:

This is the newbie personal finance thread, not the ronald reagan trickle-down whiny thread. Knock it off.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Series DD Funding posted:

Obstacle 1: inability to read information about how taxes work
:golfclap:

froot loop: Get unignorant. You will realize the tax code is not an obstacle to business. Then you will probably create other mental obstacles instead of doing it but, who knows, maybe I'm wrong and you'll actually follow your dreams.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
sorry

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

nelson posted:

:golfclap:

froot loop: Get unignorant. You will realize the tax code is not an obstacle to business. Then you will probably create other mental obstacles instead of doing it but, who knows, maybe I'm wrong and you'll actually follow your dreams.

This, and running a business usually the most tax advantaged thing you can possibly do. Write offs on dual use items for business and personal use are a huge tax saving.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

No worries. D&D is ready and waiting for you! You might like to start here or here.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
You don't have to be a libertarian nutjob to think it's screwed up that people who work for a living are taxed at a higher rate than people who live off their investment income and contribute nothing to society.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Letting other people use your money == contributing nothing to society, got it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
This is the newbie personal finance thread not whinge about hedge fund tax rates and tax havens megathread.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

fruit loop posted:

You don't have to be a libertarian nutjob to think it's screwed up that people who work for a living are taxed at a higher rate than people who live off their investment income
Sure, yeah

quote:

and contribute nothing to society.
lol

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wasn't there a debt collections megathread a while ago? I have a friend who is freaking about collections, but I can't find the thread now.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
There is! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My wife is a recent graduate and (hopefully) will have a full-time teaching position for next school year. We're doing fine financially, and slowly paying off debt on one income. We will be killing it with two incomes. In what order should I squash these three debts?

Car note: $7500 balance, 2.54% interest, $235 monthly payment
Student loan 1: $3000 balance, 8.24% interest, $50 monthly payment
Student loan 2: $12,000 balance, 9.99% interest, $125 monthly payment

I can knock out the biggest monthly payment debt, the easiest debt to pay off, or the biggest interest debt.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Biggest interest first gives you more total money. Psychologically, it can help people pay off debt to do it other ways to check things off or reduce their monthly, but it sounds like you are doing fine on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

There it is, thanks!