Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Ben 10 is the lingering spirit of 20th Century children's marketing still going strong in a franchise that now cannot be stopped nor killed. It's just like Transformers, which means when Micheal Bay is somehow still alive in 10 or 20 years, he'll make a Ben 10 live action movie. But its basically marketing that dictates the creation of another incarnation of the same show instead of a show being the frontrunner of a franchise like when it was initially made. Man of Action is going to milk that sucker to fund its other weird ideas like the new Mega Man cartoon that's coming to Disney XD. Never really cared for Ben 10 anyway, but it probably won't be worse than the second show.

But outside of the next reincarnation of Ben 10, an inevitable Scooby Doo (holy poo poo, it died a more quiet and shameful death than Power Puff. Between Family Doo, NuPPG and Wabbit, their whole side gambit of 2016 was an absolute shitshow) and the so far stunning return of Samurai Jack, I'm not seeing anything else CN could dig up to revive. There's no way in hell they'd give Symbotic Titan or Megas XLR another chance, even if they could pay enough money to Gendy or Titmouse to not take it to Adult Swim. Dexter probably wouldn't be touched. Johnny Bravo reboot would be too good for this world. No idea of whoever owns Ed, Edd and Eddy would accept a call. Ditto on Maxwell Atoms. Maybe they could coo C. H. Greenblatt into farting something out after the poo poo Nickelodeon's put him through.

Which means there's only one option. Whatever happened to Robot Jones?

I totally bet they'd redo Dexter, with or without Genndy on board. I mean, they kinda already did reboot it once, y'know, with those later seasons with a different VA for Dexter and the different art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

They literally can't do anything with Megas anyway because it was a tax write-off and they don't have the rights anymore

Wait what? Who has the rights now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? Who has the rights now?

Presumably Titmouse. I think they've been trying to resurrect it to no avail.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TwoPair posted:

I totally bet they'd redo Dexter, with or without Genndy on board. I mean, they kinda already did reboot it once, y'know, with those later seasons with a different VA for Dexter and the different art style.

The title cards becoming black text on white with a little picture of Dexter in the corner made me sad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TwoPair posted:

Please don't wish that tragedy on Dexter's Lab a second time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaunab posted:

How about CN just producing new shows from all those pilots they've got?
They'll announce more shows eventually, usually artists don't hang in the air between productions for very long. Right now they want OK KO to get the spotlight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waffleman_ posted:

They literally can't do anything with Megas anyway because it was a tax write-off and they don't have the rights anymore

They could buy the rights back hypothetically, the problem is they have no idea who picked up the Megas rights after they wrote them off, thankfully that apparently isn't the case for Sym-Bionic Titan(it's rights are still floating in the ether after being written off), so it being revived is still within the realm of possibility

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well if young justice got another season then anything is posible

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
TIL Kelly Turnbull (aka Manly Guys doing Manly Things creator Coelasquid) is a storyboard artist on the Ben 10 reboot

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

TIL Kelly Turnbull (aka Manly Guys doing Manly Things creator Coelasquid) is a storyboard artist on the Ben 10 reboot

Would love to see Coelasquid get a show of her own someday, MGDMT is one of the best webcomics around

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crabtree posted:

the new Mega Man cartoon that's coming to Disney XD.

quote:

However, Mega Man appears different than his original self, and he has a sidekick named Mega Mini. He's really Aki Light, a robot boy who discovers he's a superhero and attends school while learning how to use his powers.
Well, that just seems unnecessary.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TwoPair posted:

Do you really think they'll touch something Gendy made without him after Nu PPG? If they're going to dig something out the vault they'll need actual talent behind it, if they actually learned from burning their hands on the stove this time.

CuddlyZombie posted:

You're goddamn insane.

I live in a wretched world where CN doesn't give John R. Dilworth of Courage the Cowardly Dog fame a bunch of money and ask him to be creative again. How can I not be insane?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Do you really think they'll touch something Gendy made without him after Nu PPG? If they're going to dig something out the vault they'll need actual talent behind it, if they actually learned from burning their hands on the stove this time.

Genndy didn't make PPG though. He worked on a bunch of episodes, but PPG was Craig McCracken's baby.

And no, I don't think network executives ever learn lessons. It took a network head stepping down to get rid of CN Real.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

And no, I don't think network executives ever learn lessons. It took a network head stepping down to get rid of CN Real.
Part of it is that those positions are really subjective when it comes to things. I know it seems like you could easily look at viewership or something and think "This Bloc did really well adapting popular but kind of obscure series. So let's just keep doing that", but all it takes is one person coming in and saying "I don't like this old cartoon poo poo / taking our HB properties and making a mockery of them hurts their resale value abroad / I want to be more like X Channel" to throw it in the shower.

There is also likely a push to be innovative. If you just continue to make Toonami awesome, then you're seen as just continuing someone else's good work.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I read somewhere that the Megas XLR rights were held by the US government. Which is probably a lie but hilarious to think about anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TwoPair posted:

And this was after they inadvertently caused a bomb scare.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

You mean April 1st right? They're not releasing a bitmoji version of ben 10 right?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Megaspel posted:

You mean April 1st right? They're not releasing a bitmoji version of ben 10 right?

They already did apparently and episodes are out there if you're not in the US.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

They already did apparently and episodes are out there if you're not in the US.

Yeah, and what I've seen is pretty bad. CN really did learn all the wrong lessons from the success of TTG.

Hopefully OK KO will be a hit and everyone can go back to trying to recreate Adventure Time for every other show.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McTimmy posted:

I read somewhere that the Megas XLR rights were held by the US government. Which is probably a lie but hilarious to think about anyway.

Suddenly I approve of massive government over spend on the military.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

Suddenly I approve of massive government over spend on the military.

A giant robot with time travel properties. Gotta get back, back to the past...

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

get that OUT of my face posted:

Well, that just seems unnecessary.

The only worthwhile thing Man of Action ever made was Earth's Mightest Heroes and even that bombed in the second season.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

The only worthwhile thing Man of Action ever made was Earth's Mightest Heroes and even that bombed in the second season.

Wasn't that because of Jeph Loeb wanting the show to be less overarching story and more episodic?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Generator Rex was also pretty good, though it wasn't really a hit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Don't get me wrong megas XLR was great and I loved it, but it didn't age well and it would of gotten stale if it went on any longer since it essentially did the exact same script every single episode.

Tell me if this sounds familiar.
Act1: Something bad happens with the robot.
Act2: The struggle to get the robot working.
Act3: getting in the robot and pressing the conflict resolution and end episode button.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I appreciate past shows and would love if they were occasionally re-aired or released on DVD or streaming, but I'm almost always in favor of the creators moving on to make something new. The good ones are always growing as people and artists, and it's always great to see what comes next. There's plenty of shows that leave you wanting more after they're done, but the only one that felt like it was unfairly cut down before it had a chance to me is Sym-Bionic Titan.

And part of what makes me feel like that is looking over at the parallel universe of Nickelodeon and seeing what dragging a simple fun wacky children's cartoon across nearly 20 years can do. Even some of Cartoon Network's fondly remembered classics might've lasted one or two seasons past the point where the spark was no longer there anymore.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Did the Cloudy With A Chance show invent the Mayor's son or am I forgetting him being in the movie? Is he in the sequel because I haven't seen it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thiiiiink the Mayor's son is supposed to be the Mayor from the movies? I dunno, I don't remember him from the first movie either.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I absolutely adored Megas when I first saw it, but then some of the shine wore off years later when I found out it's soundtrack was comprised entirely of stock music. Granted, there were some really good tracks for sure, but the idea makes the show come off as kind of cheap.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gaunab posted:

Did the Cloudy With A Chance show invent the Mayor's son or am I forgetting him being in the movie? Is he in the sequel because I haven't seen it.

I haven't watched the show so idk if they changed him but the Mayor's son was the big guy voiced by Andy Samburg. He gets eaten by a cooked chicken and then does karate in the chicken body and then in the second movie he wears a chicken costume the whole time.

Edit: I looked it up, the show is a prequel? That takes place in high school? And Sam Sparks goes to the school? ????????

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 26, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought the Andy Samberg guy was just a resident child star who was known for some not-coppertone ads. Baby Brent, right?

But yeah, the show is total poo poo, so don't try to over think it.

TwoPair posted:

Dexter's Lab ended with Ego Trip and I refuse to believe these lies about "additional seasons"

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 26, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Baby Brent is a different character from the Mayor's son in the series.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtvkFv7igno

Apparently Netflix started releasing a stop-motion cartoon series a month ago called Buddy Thunderstruck. Haven't heard much about it- is it alright?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's not in any danger of winning any best of awards but it's competent enough; think "Williams Street by way of the Y-7 age rating"

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's not in any danger of winning any best of awards but it's competent enough; think "Williams Street by way of the Y-7 age rating"

Which is appropriate since it's the same studio and crew that produces Robot Chicken.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

livingfruitvirus posted:

Which is appropriate since it's the same studio and crew that produces Robot Chicken.

Huh. I guess its under a less offensive alt name than Stoopid Monkey then.

Edit: "Stoopid Buddy studios" ... Huh, alright then.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 27, 2017

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

So, do we still have a Gravity Falls thread? Cause this just came out today, and I'm curious what the cipher at the end means https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofdj1jMzQFY

Also, I recently watched all of Gravity Falls. I love how much Strong Bad humor is in there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Gravity Falls had a fantastic writing team-hell, they even had Bill Oakley, who was co-showrunner for the Simpsons back in Season 7 and 8 (AKA the last two great ones)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ytv/status/846859789997146113

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it still set in 1996 or something?