Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Dammerung posted:

Just out of curiosity, is having an extension on your taxes a red flag/disqualifier for applications with the IRS?

An extension of time to file is not a red flag, but you do have to be paid up for any tax you owe, timely, or at least clearly establish you're getting there while working for the IRS (on pain of seriously being walked out the door if you don't shape up fast) so probably also by the time the IRS looks you over. This doesn't just mean previous years, either; that extension is an extension of time to file, NOT an extension of time to pay the tax, which means that if you owe for this year, you just don't know how much, you're potentially liable to be hit with the failure to pay penalty on top of accrued interest. If this describes your situation, your best bet is to 1. communicate openly and fully with the hiring manager in charge of the application process, 2. do your best to figure a ballpark estimate of what you owe and err on the side of owing more, 3. make a payment for that ballpark estimate ASAP, 4. do whatever you can to get your return finished so that you can pay off whatever remains ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

An extension of time to file is not a red flag, but you do have to be paid up for any tax you owe, timely, or at least clearly establish you're getting there while working for the IRS (on pain of seriously being walked out the door if you don't shape up fast) so probably also by the time the IRS looks you over. This doesn't just mean previous years, either; that extension is an extension of time to file, NOT an extension of time to pay the tax, which means that if you owe for this year, you just don't know how much, you're potentially liable to be hit with the failure to pay penalty on top of accrued interest. If this describes your situation, your best bet is to 1. communicate openly and fully with the hiring manager in charge of the application process, 2. do your best to figure a ballpark estimate of what you owe and err on the side of owing more, 3. make a payment for that ballpark estimate ASAP, 4. do whatever you can to get your return finished so that you can pay off whatever remains ASAP.

Perfect! I actually overpaid what my CPA estimates that I owe (I have my final paystub, but they never sent me a W-2). I just wanted to be sure it was still an option for me! They are a major employer in Ogden, haha.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

treat posted:

rangeland ecology & wildfire restoration. We've got some augers and chainsaws, a ton of rusty barbed wire, and a little electric tuk tuk for moving things around the back lot that tops out at 4mph. I bet I could find a way to drive that thing all the way through the lab to my desk while only destroying maybe 3 doorways and scraping up all the walls, then complain about how poor the wheelchair accessibility is.

but I think I've settled on spending the whole day following the agency director around and repeatedly interrupting conversations with admin & senior researchers to show him all the funny internet videos I've saved on my work laptop, then throwing a childlike tantrum whenever anyone gets mad at me.

do you have a drip torch? i find people are fascinated at a very primal level by tools that use fire, with bonus points if you do some stupid cowboy poo poo like casually light things with a cigarette

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

So my agency opened applications for remote work reclassification.

And then blanket denied 100% of the applications and sent out an email saying they'd determined nobody was eligible.

:lmao:

https://youtu.be/Q-ENx7xfAqU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

El Mero Mero posted:

So my agency opened applications for remote work reclassification.

And then blanket denied 100% of the applications and sent out an email saying they'd determined nobody was eligible.

:lmao:
This sounds like my memories of applying for a hardship transfer!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Can I ask about civilian retirement?

I'm 37, aka old as gently caress and too old to still be figuring out what the gently caress I'm going to do for the rest of my life. I got injured on the job and while I could work for the place I'm at it wouldn't be ideal and I might bash my skull into the wall if I have to deal with my boss for the next 5 years until he retires. I work for a locality that works in conjunction with the state, and with a 25 year pension, and I have around 5 years of service. I cant do what I did before I got injured. And I do not want to do what I do now for the next 20 years.

Hence why I'm looking elsewhere.

I see on the OPM's website this:

quote:

Eligibility Information

If you retire at the MRA with at least 10, but less than 30 years of service, your benefit will be reduced by 5 percent a year for each year you are under 62, unless you have 20 years of service and your benefit starts when you reach age 60 or later.

If I get onto federal service I'd probably retire around 62 or 63. If I had 20 years of federal service, would that give me a 50% pension? That gives me essentially another 5 years to go back to school and get hired at a federal agency and still get 20 years of service. The sooner the better obviously.

The FBI website sucks and Google is no help. Is the FBI civilian job 30 years, or is it FERS and thus the above would apply and I'd only have to work 20 years and retire at 60-63?

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 5, 2022

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

I see on the OPM's website this:

If I get onto federal service I'd probably retire around 62 or 63. If I had 20 years of federal service, would that give me a 50% pension? That gives me essentially another 5 years to go back to school and get hired at a federal agency and still get 20 years of service. The sooner the better obviously.

The FBI website sucks and Google is no help. Is the FBI civilian job 30 years, or is it FERS and thus the above would apply and I'd only have to work 20 years and retire at 60-63?

I'm under a different retirement system but mine the multiple is 1.7% per year for the first 20, then 1% per extra year after that. I don't know of any fed agency offering 50% retirement after 20 years.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
20 years will generally get you around 22% pension with FERS-FRAE, which is what you'd get into if you start now or later. The 20-year mark is when it converts from 1% per year to 1.1% per year. The other two components of retirement are Social Security and your TSP, which is basically a 401k equivalent that you can get up to 5% of your annual salary matched in employer contributions.

The 62 date is generally best overall, since it's another prerequisite to get that 1.1% per year:
https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/fers-information/

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
It looks like you're looking at CSRS info, which you wouldn't be in since you had to be in before like 1986. As was mentioned, the new plan is FERS, with the 1.0/1.1 annuity, the Thrift Savings Plan (401k equivalent), and Social Security.

If you plan on staying in until 62/63 you'll get all the benefits and don't need to worry about starting late.

Imo the early/mra collection is extremely rough and you should avoid it. Like I could retire in my 50s with 30+ years but if I want to collect immediately and not wait until 62 you lose a lot of annuity.

Edit: actually if you have the 30 you don't get the reduction, but you don't get the 1.1 multiplier

Hackan Slash fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 5, 2022

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Hackan Slash posted:

It looks like you're looking at CSRS info, which you wouldn't be in since you had to be in before like 1986. As was mentioned, the new plan is FERS, with the 1.0/1.1 annuity, the Thrift Savings Plan (401k equivalent), and Social Security.

If you plan on staying in until 62/63 you'll get all the benefits and don't need to worry about starting late.

Imo the early/mra collection is extremely rough and you should avoid it. Like I could retire in my 50s with 30+ years but if I want to collect immediately and not wait until 62 you lose a lot of annuity.

Edit: actually if you have the 30 you don't get the reduction, but you don't get the 1.1 multiplier

Just remember that it's not about when you leave service, but when you activate your benefits. You can "retire from" (i.e. leave) federal service at 50 and start your retirement benefits at 62 with no penalties.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
So how do people live on a 22% pension?

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 6, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So how do people live on a 22% pension?

They get social security and withdraw from their TSP balance too.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Most people starting jobs in the private sector these days get 401ks and a match at best. Most pension programs were gutted entirely years ago, the federal government still has one but it's more anemic now.

The best part is that pensions and social security are both basically ponzi schemes, so contribute to your own retirement account - I will be pleasantly surprised if my pension and social security are solvent by the time I retire, but I ain't relying on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I expect after the final presidential election happens in 2024 the federal pension will get rolled up and social security will follow a decade or so afterwards.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Hackan Slash posted:

There’s an annuity supplement if you retire before 62 at your MRA. The supplement pays until you are able to draw social security.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

They get social security and withdraw from their TSP balance too.

For a bit of additional context keep in mind when you hear about the old pension system for the Fed, with its higher rates, that it did NOT include Social Security so its not as cut and dry as comparing pension reimbursement percentages directly. That's not to say that the current system is better or even equal to the old system, just that its not as bad as it may sound, at least for those who were hired before 2013, anyone hired after pays 3x as much of their own money into the pension system for the same benefit.

The Feds were not alone in having a retirement system that does not include SS, I'm not sure if private sector pensions ever did the same thing but other public entities did and some still do. In my state even though new employees haven't been eligible for a traditional pension in nearly 20 years they still also don't pay into SS instead there's a state specific stand-in. It's something else to keep in mind when for instance you hear about pensions paying up to 80% of pre-retirement salary, jobs with those kind of pensions likely did not pay into SS.

As far as will SS be around when any of us retire, well, first do you think any other retirement system is less vulnerable to political and institutional rot? Second, the whole SS trust fund going bankrupt threat that typically starts people questioning its continued existence all the time doesn't mean SS disappears, it means that source of revenue is gone, which is not great, but its estimated that 80+% of the benefits will still be paid. I'd rather have part of my retirement rely on SS vs having it solely rely on any pension not backed by Federal government.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FBI has TPS so I assume they're also FERS based on what conversations I've had with my sister who works there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm 37, aka old as gently caress
:negative:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

I'm 37, aka old as gently caress

Alucard fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 6, 2022

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

what the heck do I put on my independent development plan for my short and long term career goals

short term, get qualified
long term, make money?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Nobody cares about those, but your supervisors occasionally get nastygrams if they're not updated. So in general you just need to have a recentish edited date. I've never been talked to about it in performance reviews or similar

I am only speaking from personal experience, your org may vary

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
Depends upon what you’re doing, but when I was doing cybersecurity stuff I used those to justify getting expensive certs. That assumes you have the training budget ofc.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember being really excited about those when I first started, as my supervisor agreed I should really be in training due to my academic and public speaking/presentation background, so we put together LearningEDGE courses and independent study stuff and who knows what else and ran it by the section chief and wooo! Then they decided that going forward only GS-13s could do training about six months after I started :haw:

Yep because the important part is how much you are paid, not whether you are any good at training

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.

Alucard posted:

Just remember that it's not about when you leave service, but when you activate your benefits. You can "retire from" (i.e. leave) federal service at 50 and start your retirement benefits at 62 with no penalties.

One big caveat--deferred annuitants don't get retiree health benefits. It's a huge benefit worth quite a bit until you turn 65 (and even then it's still worth some).

It's also something that may be gone in 25 years anyway :dance: :hayter:

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

Czolgosz posted:

One big caveat--deferred annuitants don't get retiree health benefits. It's a huge benefit worth quite a bit until you turn 65 (and even then it's still worth some).

It's also something that may be gone in 25 years anyway :dance: :hayter:

Another con for deferred is that your high 3 is fixed at what it was and not adjusted to the paychart at retirement.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Getting interviewed by USPTO this week. Ngl, I'm getting pretty comfy in Philly even if I'm only lukewarm at the position I'm currently in. I'll probably ask what sort of day to day is like for them to so how comparatively intense their job duties are.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I received a call from a number purportedly from the DHS about a job application I had sent in telling me to respond to an email that I never received. The number they called is no longer in service. Is it bad that I can absolutely believe that, considering the Federal government's track record with me and employment, that this is legitimate?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dammerung posted:

I received a call from a number purportedly from the DHS about a job application I had sent in telling me to respond to an email that I never received. The number they called is no longer in service. Is it bad that I can absolutely believe that, considering the Federal government's track record with me and employment, that this is legitimate?

You won't ever go wrong lowering your expectations of government hiring processes.

You could try reaching out to the contact info on the posting if it's something you're still interested in. You might get to the right person with a few weeks.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Devor posted:

You won't ever go wrong lowering your expectations of government hiring processes.

You could try reaching out to the contact info on the posting if it's something you're still interested in. You might get to the right person with a few weeks.

Here's the weird thing... It's for an "asylum" posting in NYC. I applied for some positions with the USCIS, but none of them were for asylum-related positions. I literally have no idea what they were referring to, or why they custom-made a voice message saying that their number was out of service after calling me from it. I think it's either a scam or a sign that, whoever they are, I absolutely should not work with them!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dammerung posted:

Here's the weird thing... It's for an "asylum" posting in NYC. I applied for some positions with the USCIS, but none of them were for asylum-related positions. I literally have no idea what they were referring to, or why they custom-made a voice message saying that their number was out of service after calling me from it. I think it's either a scam or a sign that, whoever they are, I absolutely should not work with them!

Look at this guy afraid of a little systematic dysfunction. It's possible that the message is generated from a phone number that is not currently monitored because the guy that knows how to do the fancy call-forwarding quit last year, and the guy who got tasked with recording a new voicemail said 'out of service' because no one gave him the right words to use.

It's possible that other postings can 'pull' from one that you might not have been aware of, particularly if it's something urgent, like asylum processing. So while I agree that I would not necessarily engage with a purportedly out-of-service number calling you out of the blue, starting with a known good inbound contact should prove much less dangerous.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Dammerung posted:

The number they called is no longer in service.

If the person is working remote they probably made the call from Teams or some other service so that they didn't have to use their personal phone. I'd reach out to the HR contact on the USAJobs listing to follow-up.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wow FSAFEDs really wants me to connect with them on social media. I'm honored but do I really deserve this level of friendship with my FSA custodian?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Devor posted:

Look at this guy afraid of a little systematic dysfunction. It's possible that the message is generated from a phone number that is not currently monitored because the guy that knows how to do the fancy call-forwarding quit last year, and the guy who got tasked with recording a new voicemail said 'out of service' because no one gave him the right words to use.

It's possible that other postings can 'pull' from one that you might not have been aware of, particularly if it's something urgent, like asylum processing. So while I agree that I would not necessarily engage with a purportedly out-of-service number calling you out of the blue, starting with a known good inbound contact should prove much less dangerous.

How would I know how a good inbound contact for a position that I didn't apply for would be?

laxbro posted:

If the person is working remote they probably made the call from Teams or some other service so that they didn't have to use their personal phone. I'd reach out to the HR contact on the USAJobs listing to follow-up.

I agree that it would be the right call, but I haven't applied for anything through USAJobs that matches what the person who called me was calling me about.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dammerung posted:

How would I know how a good inbound contact for a position that I didn't apply for would be?

You call/email the contact on the posting you applied to

Edit: To clarify, if your agency is sharing applications from postings, then the HR grunts all probably have enough visibility to see what is happening on your application. And if the HR grunt who owns the posting has no information for you, then you know you've done what you can, and can safely give up.

Unless you really want to be an Asylum person, in which case you start doing old-fashioned phone/email work tracking down the responsible HR person.

Devor fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 7, 2022

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Devor posted:

You call/email the contact on the posting you applied to

Edit: To clarify, if your agency is sharing applications from postings, then the HR grunts all probably have enough visibility to see what is happening on your application. And if the HR grunt who owns the posting has no information for you, then you know you've done what you can, and can safely give up.

Unless you really want to be an Asylum person, in which case you start doing old-fashioned phone/email work tracking down the responsible HR person.

Ah! I think I see where the disconnect between the two of us lies. I have applied for over fifty positions in the past two months. I did apply for a few positions with the USCIS, but I think I archived those applications because they turned me down for them as soon as the job postings closed. I'll check those out, thank you!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Whenever I make an outbound call it comes across as a weird phone number that you can't call back to as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Getting interviewed by USPTO this week. Ngl, I'm getting pretty comfy in Philly even if I'm only lukewarm at the position I'm currently in. I'll probably ask what sort of day to day is like for them to so how comparatively intense their job duties are.
Are you interviewing for examiner? From what I found from osmosis from my former roommate patent examiner, workload seems extremely dependent on your specific focus.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Xelkelvos posted:

I guess I'm glad to see that your application from last year was still in the system. I remember reaching out to you last year (or was it in 2020?) about trying to contact a supervisor in a particular area to see if they were hiring. I definitely never heard back.

Examination is tough, but the non-competitive promotion potential to GS-14 combined with one of the best telework programs in the government help balance against the workloads. The quota system is highly dependent upon which area of technology you get assigned to, which often gets changed for new hires. The day-to-day process is pick up an application, get a handle on what the invention is and then conduct a search to find out if it's already been done (including piecemeal portions that can be smashed together), if you find a disclosure that published before the application was filed, you write up a rejection, but if you don't find anything, you write up an allowance. Note that findings of allowability are highly dependent upon both your supervisor and your assigned technology. Then, as soon as you finish one application get ready to pick up another, because we have hundreds of thousands of new applications waiting for this review. I'm twenty-two years into my career at the USPTO and the never-ending treadmill of more applications has gotten tiring, but the pay is pretty drat good at GS-14.

There have been some changes recently in how applications are assigned to examiners, but starting as a fresh examiner, you won't have the baked-in bias based upon how applications used to be distributed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If that Asylum story is indeed from desperation on the part of hiring officials to fill quotas it is going to be even more hilarious if I do not get the Asylum job I just interviewed for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

sullat posted:

Whenever I make an outbound call it comes across as a weird phone number that you can't call back to as well.

Thank you, and thank you, Devor, laxbro, for all your help. I mean that sincerely - I have no idea why, I just sort of mentally broke down over the situation. I shouldn't have come here and made it all of your problems, and I am truly sorry for that. I'm in a good situation, I've got a few interviews lined up, a job that I like (even if it doesn't pay as well as I'd like), and I just sorta forgot about all that, which is honestly really shameful and dumb.