Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm trying to update my AMD driver, but every time I install the driver (11.9), it doesn't. It still lists a driver version 8.801.xxx. Any idea on what to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I just wrote a sentence.

quote:

I wrote "Done through the cooperation of Samuel French, Inc."; is that correct?
Is that an incorrect use of a semicolon? Since the sentence combines a statement and a question, should it really be two sentences?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 29, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Ularg posted:

I'm trying to update my AMD driver, but every time I install the driver (11.9), it doesn't. It still lists a driver version 8.801.xxx. Any idea on what to do?

You'll probably get a better/faster answer in Haus of Tech Support.

Defnoops
Aug 25, 2006
Cheese is a kind of meat
Wasn't sure if this question would be worthy of it's own thread so I'll post it here:

Are there any historical writings (preferably ancient) on clouds (or even just the sky (not astral! Daytime only)) and how they were viewed from their standpoint?

Might sound like a silly question, I know, but I ask because sometimes you'll look up at the sky and immediately be able to pick out various shapes such as, for example, whales or dragons. Nowadays we know that it's completely random and just us mentally imprinting those things onto the cloud shapes. But how would the ancients view them? There's an arguably massive religious influence on people in those times, what with auguries and entrails-checking and so on, so was there any kind of importance placed upon the clouds and their shapes? Doesn't have to be religious, but that strikes me as the probable outlook they may have had if any.

Defnoops fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 29, 2011

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Chrome very recently started being extremely sensitive to multi-touch swiping going back a page. It's pretty frustrating to be trying to scroll and leaving the page, but I can't find the right place to turn it off. Where should I be looking that I'm missing? (Mac OS 10.7.1, newest MacBook Pro)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

WillieWestwood posted:

There's this WTC tribute set to Yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxm9JLtcTfE

That is exactly it!

I must say I find bush's line about it being a "deliberate terrorist attack" pretty drat amusing.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I just got married, how the gently caress do I update my tax information? Until now I've always put my claims as 0 but now I have a wife who is a dependent.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
What do you mean "update your tax information"? Do you mean change the amount being withheld from your paycheck? I'd talk to someone in HR about that, if there is such a person at your work. The last time I did taxes, it looked to be incredibly straightforward on what to do; literally, "If filing jointly, put a '1' in this box." Just follow the instructions on the taxforms, or use Turbotax or something. (Not to be a shill for Turbotax or anything, but last year the software alerted me that I had like an extra $400 or $500 coming to me that I never would have figured out on my own.)

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Anyone have a good method for getting rid of cigarette smoke smell?

My girlfriend recently moved into an apartment where, apparently, the people before her smoked like fiends because when we toured it before it was cleaned it smelled horrible. The landlord recognized this and did all he could to get rid of the smell before she moved in. He steam cleaned the carpets, painted the walls, cleaned everything thoroughly, etc. It worked pretty well but still smelled a bit like a hotel. She's been there for about a month and I started noticing that when I stay overnight or leave a sweatshirt laying around for a weekend, it reeks of smoke when I wear it again.

SO, besides lighting more candles, is there anything we can do to get that deep lingering smell out so that our clothes don't get saturated with stench?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

User-Friendly posted:

Chrome very recently started being extremely sensitive to multi-touch swiping going back a page. It's pretty frustrating to be trying to scroll and leaving the page, but I can't find the right place to turn it off. Where should I be looking that I'm missing? (Mac OS 10.7.1, newest MacBook Pro)

Yeah I really hope they fix this soon, I keep going back a page from just about any horizontal movement. I don't see a fix inside Chrome's settings, but if you go System Preferences, Trackpad, More Gestures, you can either turn off "Swipe between pages" or make it require 3-4 fingers, which is harder to do accidently.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Very Strange Things posted:

I just wrote a sentence.

quote:

I wrote "Done through the cooperation of Samuel French, Inc."; is that correct?

Is that an incorrect use of a semicolon? Since the sentence combines a statement and a question, should it really be two sentences?

John McIntyre just wrote a nice piece on semicolons the other day.

quote:

Today—and here you can proceed without fear—we mainly use the semicolon in two ways.

Indicating a complex series: If the elements of a series have items separated by commas, we use semicolons to separate the elements, including the final one: Some, a great many, eschew the semicolon out of principle; some, an insignificant minority, employ it out of principle; and some, by far the great majority, are ignorant of it and indifferent to it.

Suturing independent clauses: If we join two independent clauses without a conjunction, we link them with a semicolon: People who use the semicolon regularly are the type who like to parade their erudition; people who shun the semicolon are the type who like to be seen as just folks.

Two cautions here. First, remember that syntax implies relationship. If you join two clauses with a semicolon, they should be of more or less equal value in meaning, and they should have a connection in meaning.

Neither of these uses corresponds to your sentence, and the two parts of your sentence don't satisfy the "more or less equal value" part either. You don't have to follow his advice. However, a semicolon would look very strange to me in your sentence—I would use an em dash.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dokmo posted:

However, a semicolon would look very strange to me in your sentence—I would use an em dash.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just make it two sentences.

quote:

I wrote "Done through the cooperation of Samuel French, Inc." Is that correct?

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Anyone have a good method for getting rid of cigarette smoke smell?

Baking Soda ( I recommend the pet one they make http://www.armandhammer.com/deodori...-pet-fresh.aspx) liberally thrown everywhere and allowed to sit for a couple days before vacuuming, along with more steam cleaning. Also, as much exposure to sunlight as possible. If it's really bad, it is going to take several applications. I wouldn't be surprised if the paint on the walls has some of the odor (yellowed walls in your place?) in which case I don't know what you could do.
The sun/baking soda/steaming method worked for me on a couch I got from craigslist, and it took a couple weeks before I was satisfied with the lack of odor.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Gravity Pike posted:

What do you mean "update your tax information"? Do you mean change the amount being withheld from your paycheck? I'd talk to someone in HR about that, if there is such a person at your work. The last time I did taxes, it looked to be incredibly straightforward on what to do; literally, "If filing jointly, put a '1' in this box." Just follow the instructions on the taxforms, or use Turbotax or something. (Not to be a shill for Turbotax or anything, but last year the software alerted me that I had like an extra $400 or $500 coming to me that I never would have figured out on my own.)

Yeah, the company is just so huge I'm not sure who I should talk to in HR. It's mostly just updating the forms (I do use Turbotax when I file my taxes though). I did some searching online and everything basically "Don't claim to much because you'll owe money!"

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Almost 8 years after getting married and having kids I haven't changed my withholding from single. Don't know if this is wrong or not but it makes for some fat checks every February or March.

(Yes I know this makes bfc cry that I'm not doing correct withholding and putting the diff away myself where it can earn interest.)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Ashex posted:

Yeah, the company is just so huge I'm not sure who I should talk to in HR. It's mostly just updating the forms (I do use Turbotax when I file my taxes though). I did some searching online and everything basically "Don't claim to much because you'll owe money!"

The form you want is called the W-4 (if you're in the states; I'm assuming you are). Just ask your boss who your payroll rep is, if you don't know, and ask them. Or, if your company is big enough to use a payroll website-- when I worked for a company with approximately 9,000 employees, we had one-- it's often on there.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
Weirdly specific question - I'm using Google Chrome as my browser and on the forums and other sites, when a thumbnailed image is posted, clicking on it to enlarge it within the window doesn't work right. I remember seeing a script on these forums that someone posted to make the browser handle them right, but I can't find it for the life of me. Any help?

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Intl Cron posted:

Weirdly specific question - I'm using Google Chrome as my browser and on the forums and other sites, when a thumbnailed image is posted, clicking on it to enlarge it within the window doesn't work right. I remember seeing a script on these forums that someone posted to make the browser handle them right, but I can't find it for the life of me. Any help?

Here's how to fix it for the forums:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=378#post387668104

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Not sure whether to post this here or the Identify A Song megathread.

I'm looking for a music video where two members of the band have an Iron Chef style cooking battle.

I remember it being judged by some celebrities, for some reason I think one of them was Rip Taylor or some equally eccentric dude.

Any ideas?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Is it legal to say curse words in front of minors?

Specifically, I have been watching a lot of "edgy" television and movies lately wherein they feel it necessary to curse in front of young children for dramatic effect.

Is this legal?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Is it legal to say curse words in front of minors?

Specifically, I have been watching a lot of "edgy" television and movies lately wherein they feel it necessary to curse in front of young children for dramatic effect.

Is this legal?

Completely legal. Why would it be otherwise?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

trandorian posted:

Completely legal. Why would it be otherwise?
I don't know. I figured there might be case precedent for it falling under some kind of "corrupting a minor" statute.

I guess where I am going with this is that it is perfectly fine to gently caress them up with bad words and severed heads, but bare breasts will get you 20 years. Or something. I have not yet fully worked out my anger on this matter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I do recall hearing about a story in Michigan shortly after I moved there in 1994 about a guy who was canoeing and got arrested or fined or something for swearing in front of women and/or children. No idea if it actually happened or was just an urban legend, however.

KOTJ
Mar 16, 2007

Does anyone know of any remotely credible stats regarding the numbers/percentage of 2011 graduates (US) with 4-year degrees who've secured jobs that actually required a bachelor's degree? I guess it would make sense that that data wouldn't be published until next spring or whenever, but I'm curious if there is anything out there at the moment.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Defnoops posted:

Wasn't sure if this question would be worthy of it's own thread so I'll post it here:

Are there any historical writings (preferably ancient) on clouds (or even just the sky (not astral! Daytime only)) and how they were viewed from their standpoint?

Might sound like a silly question, I know, but I ask because sometimes you'll look up at the sky and immediately be able to pick out various shapes such as, for example, whales or dragons. Nowadays we know that it's completely random and just us mentally imprinting those things onto the cloud shapes. But how would the ancients view them? There's an arguably massive religious influence on people in those times, what with auguries and entrails-checking and so on, so was there any kind of importance placed upon the clouds and their shapes? Doesn't have to be religious, but that strikes me as the probable outlook they may have had if any.

I have absolutely no information to offer you but that is a really really cool question. I tried a few things in google and didn't get too many results, but maybe that's because "clouds" is almost a synonym for "heavens" in a bunch of heavy-handed creation story retellings. Fuckin cool I hope you find what you're looking for.

This wiki article has a bunch of cool stuff to check out, especially if you dig through the different sub-articles and read up on the etymology of certain names for things. I've been at it for a while and I haven't seen anything really "ancient", but it goes back a ways.

It's really weird how so many philosophical and historical musings refer to the night sky and the (much more predictable) stars. Clouds are weird blobs of chaos that we see every day and it's almost like "whatever" for us.

brb gonna weave a billowy tunic with sunrise on the front and sunset on the back. Will only speak adages that use weather lore. Will grow puffy white afro which will change shape with the weather and predict future patterns.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

KOTJ posted:

Does anyone know of any remotely credible stats regarding the numbers/percentage of 2011 graduates (US) with 4-year degrees who've secured jobs that actually required a bachelor's degree? I guess it would make sense that that data wouldn't be published until next spring or whenever, but I'm curious if there is anything out there at the moment.

I don't know of kind of data. You could look at private surveys which have related questions, like this one one, which looks at

As far as time trends go, it focuses on the difference between first jobs of pre- and post-recession graduates. Eg:

and this

You might want to look around the US Department of Labor site which has a bunch of data tables, although I couldn't see any directly related to your question.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

hooah posted:

I do recall hearing about a story in Michigan shortly after I moved there in 1994 about a guy who was canoeing and got arrested or fined or something for swearing in front of women and/or children. No idea if it actually happened or was just an urban legend, however.

Dated April 2, 2002:

quote:

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — The Michigan Court of Appeals yesterday struck down a 105-year-old law against using vulgar language in front of women and children, throwing out the conviction of a canoeist who let loose a stream of curses after falling into the water.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Golbez posted:

Dated April 2, 2002:

Wow, and there's a perfect example of a faulty memory. At least five or six years off? Wow.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I don't know. I figured there might be case precedent for it falling under some kind of "corrupting a minor" statute.

I guess where I am going with this is that it is perfectly fine to gently caress them up with bad words and severed heads, but bare breasts will get you 20 years. Or something. I have not yet fully worked out my anger on this matter.

You have to keep in mind that it is the opinion of the government of the United States that boobs literally turn children in to drug addicts and drop outs.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Is Primerica a scam?

I'm in Canada and after being approached by one of their reps, I got a phone call and interview. I did a basic search on the company and while there are tons of results asking the same question, none of them have any definitive answer. Is it MLM, pyramid or just a really lovely commission-only job?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Xandu posted:

Yeah I really hope they fix this soon, I keep going back a page from just about any horizontal movement. I don't see a fix inside Chrome's settings, but if you go System Preferences, Trackpad, More Gestures, you can either turn off "Swipe between pages" or make it require 3-4 fingers, which is harder to do accidently.

Oh man, thanks so much.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Is Primerica a scam?

I'm in Canada and after being approached by one of their reps, I got a phone call and interview. I did a basic search on the company and while there are tons of results asking the same question, none of them have any definitive answer. Is it MLM, pyramid or just a really lovely commission-only job?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428239

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks a lot! (I should really pay for forums search). I'm not doing anything on the interview day anyways so I guess I'll just show up and eat tons of cookies.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 30, 2011

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Why did we evolve to have tongues? Or, better, why do animals have tongues? What is the function of a tongue?

I mean, I understand the purpose of tongues on the human level - it helps us speak and taste things for pleasure. But why does a dog need a tongue? It can neither speak nor understands the concept of pleasure via taste input.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 1, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Why did we evolve to have tongues? Or, better, why do animals have tongues? What is the function of a tongue?

To push food down our throats, to more easily get food into our mouths, etc.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I mean, I understand the purpose of tongues on the human level - it helps us speak and taste things for pleasure. But why does a dog need a tongue? It can neither speak nor understands the concept of pleasure via taste input.

Identify taste? We are, in a way, hard wired to prefer sugars and fats as they have, usually, more nutritional value.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
A dog's tongue allows it to drink. It's a big, flexible spoon.

The tongue is one of the strongest muscles in the body IIRC.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Animals evolved tongues to aid in drinking and grinding food down for digestion. And they must have evolved some sense of taste to allow them to prefer one kind of food over another, leading to carnivores, herbivores, and omnivores.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

WillieWestwood posted:

Animals evolved tongues to aid in drinking and grinding food down for digestion. And they must have evolved some sense of taste to allow them to prefer one kind of food over another, leading to carnivores, herbivores, and omnivores.

It's more that, broadly speaking, stuff that is poisonous is quite bitter, so that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
I want to learn how to sharpen a knife. Now I've googled this of course and tried to do it many times with several types of stones and blades, and I can make it somewhat sharper, but I can never get it really loving sharp nor can I get the edge to last nearly as long as when you buy a knife new. There seem to be a million techniques and tools to do this, which is the best and what the hell do I need to do to get good at this?