Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Moey posted:

I did some ribs this weekend, now I have a ton of leftover ribs. MES30. 2 hours uncovered, 2 hours in foil with some apple juice, 10 minutes on grill.

Probably will foil for longer, they were tender but i want to be able to slide the bones out clean damnit.

That is some thick loving rub there, goddamn. I never went quite that hard with my rub, usually keeping it to salt, pepper, and brown sugar.

A bit after applying, and just before throwing them on the smoker, they'd glisten with the moisture drawn out, I guess I could have used that moment to slap on some more rub to really cake them.

Those results look great though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That is some thick loving rub there, goddamn. I never went quite that hard with my rub, usually keeping it to salt, pepper, and brown sugar.

A bit after applying, and just before throwing them on the smoker, they'd glisten with the moisture drawn out, I guess I could have used that moment to slap on some more rub to really cake them.

Those results look great though!

Thanks! We served 4 racks "dry" and 2 with sauce applied before grilling. Then had sauces on the side of people wanted them.

They seemed fine without any additional sauce, probably due to the amount of rub.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doin a brisket flat for 4th of July get hype

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

How are the economics of the pellet grills? I used to have an outdoor pizza oven that ran on pellets and it was exxxpppeeennssssiiiivvvvveeee, but you had to use some ultra premium ones otherwise they burned dirty and not hot enough.

For a 12 hour brisket cook, how many $ worth of pellets would you say you go through (non-winter)?

That is something I had not considered before I actually bought one. A large bag of charcoal is what $10-15? I take my propane tank down to the gas station to refill it, a full fill from empty is about $15. The two would probably last me the whole summer.

When I got the Louisiana grill at Costco, I picked up a 33 lb bag of Traeger pellets for $20. I'm probably averaging about 2 lbs per hour averaged over various temperatures. $0.60 per lb for those pellets, $1.20 per hour. $0.75 per hour on Lowe's pellets.

This guy is making some assumptions about other fuel usage that looks favorably towards pellet, but the gas prices really depend on the size of your grill and your usage, and I think he's really overestimating the cost of charcoal. - https://cookinpellets.com/fuel-cost-comparison-of-pellet-grilling-vs-charcoal-gas-and-electric-grills/

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 24, 2019

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Incorrect.

It tastes like steamed meat, maybe you like that though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Moey posted:

I did some ribs this weekend, now I have a ton of leftover ribs. MES30. 2 hours uncovered, 2 hours in foil with some apple juice, 10 minutes on grill.

Probably will foil for longer, they were tender but i want to be able to slide the bones out clean damnit.

I did 9 racks in my MES40 two weekends ago. Thanks Coscto for $30 for 3 racks.
I had to cut 1 rack up to fit it in.

I cut them into 3-4 bone chunks like you did anyway but I did mine all with a modified Memphis Dust rub and no sauce but had about 10 different sauces on hand if people wanted them.

I ended up having a bunch of leftovers because we had so much other food so I have a few rib packs frozen in the freezer for when I want to have them for dinner. Might throw one in the Sous Vide to warm up when i get home tonight. It will be done by the time I am done working out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did you smoke em all cut or did you cut and smoke?

I can only fit 4 racks in my mes 30

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you're getting steamed meat, are you sure you're not making pastrami?

My pork butts and brisket would like to fite you.

Lack of smoke ring because no nitrates.

Forgive me father, for i have crutched:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

tater_salad posted:

No, these racks o' rib actually fit 2x per shelf in my MES30.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I usually cut in 1/2 and do 2 1/2s on one rack.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I like steamed hams.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

I like steamed hams.

From Utica I see

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

toplitzin posted:

If you're getting steamed meat, are you sure you're not making pastrami?

I have been curing a flat for 2 days and it will be smoked with wood because I like the flavor way more.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I have been curing a flat for 2 days and it will be smoked with wood because I like the flavor way more.

I smoke with wood on my MES as well. You do realize you're not just throwing them in an electric outdoor oven? It uses a tray built in to smoke chips and lots of us use the addon smoke maze thing (that i cant think of the name of right now).

Literally the only difference is you can get a smoke ring with charcoal/wood chunks.

The best ribs I've ever had were using an electric smoker and you can definitely taste the smoke.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 25, 2019

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
^^^^^ A-Maze-N Pellet smoker.

Also yeah those that bash on electric have probably never used one or had meat smoked in one.

There are some things you cant do but doing most things you cant tell the difference.

tater_salad posted:

I left all but 1 rack whole and then had to cut the 9th one down to fit it. I have fit all 9 before but these seemed to be a little wider than normal.

I dropped a pack with two 3 bone sections in the sous vide last night at 150* for about and hour and a half while i worked out. They were warmed real well without drying out.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

tater_salad posted:

From Utica I see

No, it's an Albany expression

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

No, it's an Albany expression

Close enough to think canadian bacon is something more than ham slices. :colbert:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Suburban Dad posted:

Those look amazing. Can you talk a bit about your recipe/method (time to cook, temp, water/no water pan, rub, etc)? I've never tried wings but want to do some soon. My smoker is gas so obviously it'll be a little different.

The biggest thing I've found is a dry brine overnight (or longer), uncovered and sitting on sheet pans + racks. That gets the cold air circulating around all sides and really dries out the skins, flavors the meat. These went more like 36 hours due to the event getting rescheduled last minute. Don't go TOO crazy with the salt for the dry brine.

The morning of, pat the wings with paper towel if needed, then add the rub. Lately been using Meat Church stuff (their AP, Holy Gospel, or Holy Cow), or the always classic Butt Rub. I'm not shy with this and try to cover both sides. I usually toss a bit of whatever rub I use into the sauce as well. A bit of beer in the sauce isn't bad too. I like to get the sauce going early to let the heat do its thing and thicken up a little bit if needed.

I try and get the rub on there for a few hours before putting them down but even 30 minutes seems to be good. They come out great!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Trastion posted:

Also yeah those that bash on electric have probably never used one or had meat smoked in one.

I'm just making up all the food I've had from electric smokers. That makes sense.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'm just making up all the food I've had from electric smokers. That makes sense.

Well then maybe your just an elitist rear end in a top hat.

If you think bbq is bad because it came from an electric smoker I don't know what to tell you. I have had some great bbq from all kinda of smokers.

Anyways I know it has come up before but what are the good, not too expensive, pellet smokers right now? I just got a bonus at work and might spend some on getting one. I see that Louisiana has some verticals that are just about the size of the MES's. Anyone use one of those compared to their "barrel" type?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I like the caveman feeling that smoking over lump charcoal gives me.
(after I sous vide the meat)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a brick oven that I'm trying to figure out how to smoke meat in. It looks like something I can do overnight with the residual heat after doing pizzas, roasts, casseroles, and whatever. This is a different beast than the convective heat of a regular smoker.

Awhile back, I tried a pork shoulder in it and got a perfect result--texture-wise. I had used just the residual heat of the oven walls and the leftover coals. Flavor-wise, I had literally no smokiness. It was kind of like I had cooked it in a giant crock pot.

This past weekend, I tried a brisket. I decided I actually needed a bit of a fire going. To overcompensate for the total lack of smoke, I used some mesquite chips on the coals. I spread the coals out to cool the oven off to below 300 in the chamber before the night was up. I first suspended the brisket in a pain on a block towards the front. The walls around there were more in the 250F range. The next day, I put it on the oven floor and tucked it back. I also fed it a little more of a small fire with some little oak logs started off of some oak bark--with some more mesquite chips. Did I mention I wanted a smoke flavor?

So here's the problem, and it's not what you probably expected. I was relying a lot on the infrared heat of the oven walls when deducing cooking temperature here. However, I didn't have any kind of moving thermal mass here. I did put a dutch oven full of water in with it. I thought it was doing nothing... until I found it empty the next day. So I'm going by infrared heat, which decreased at distance. So I think it was actually not as hot as I thought where I was cooking. So this brisket was just going and going and going. 12, 18, 24, 32 loving hours later with an hour finishing in a regular oven, it's done. I was prepared to record a video of me hammering some nails with this thing at this point. However, it ... came out good! The smokiness was also NOT overwhelming. On the other hand, it was on a rack, in a pan, covered loosely in foil. So it didn't get a chance to turn into the inside of a chimney.

So I think I need to actually not try to spread out my coals to quickly cool my oven but rather put in the brisket back when the dome is still in the 400s and there's a fire going on. It's not that hot in the front, and with aluminum foil involved, the meat isn't seeing that temperature anyways from that distance. I'm not entirely sure what I want to try here, but I do want my poo poo to finish overnight instead of 2.5 days later.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh I think I found your problem.

You are trying to smoke in a brick oven, not a grill or smoker. A brick oven is probably one of the top worst choices to smoke in.

You need continual combustion so your wood chips can create smoke and you need to be able to maintain a temp of 225-250 especially as time moves on.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

tater_salad posted:

You are trying to smoke in a brick oven, not a grill or smoker. A brick oven is probably one of the top worst choices to smoke in.
Is there anything online talking about this that I can review? I only see ambivalence--generally from lack of familiarity--at worse to affirmation about it working just fine.

quote:

You need continual combustion so your wood chips can create smoke and you need to be able to maintain a temp of 225-250 especially as time moves on.
The oven can sit at that temperature for at least 12 hours, unattended.

The brisket took 32 hours, sure, but the amount of coddling overall was similar to when I'm fussing over a metal smoker. It looks to me like it's just a little bit of a change in technique.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there anything online talking about this that I can review? I only see ambivalence--generally from lack of familiarity--at worse to affirmation about it working just fine.

The brisket took 32 hours, sure, but the amount of coddling overall was similar to when I'm fussing over a metal smoker. It looks to me like it's just a little bit of a change in technique.

I would ask on one of the dedicated smoking websites/forums like Amazingribs or smokinitforums. I bet someone there has done it and can tell you how to make it work or if it is just not worth it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Like, it'll cook, be a little smokey, and taste good, absolutely. If that is what you are going for, hell yeah brother enjoy!

If you are trying to receive an end product that is what people would consider "smoked brisket", then a bigass wood oven is probably not gonna get you there. You won't get nearly enough smoke, smoke ring, or proper bark.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's totally doable, but as you've noticed, you've got a lot of thermal mass. If you can dial in a 225-275 oven temp with a small handful of coals, you should be good to go.
You may need to add supplementary smoke, like with an AMAZ-N, or some chips on a handful of coals.

Doom Rooster posted:

Like, it'll cook, be a little smokey, and taste good, absolutely. If that is what you are going for, hell yeah brother enjoy!

If you are trying to receive an end product that is what people would consider "smoked brisket", then a bigass wood oven is probably not gonna get you there. You won't get nearly enough smoke, smoke ring, or proper bark.

Disagree.

As long as they can dial in a stable temp for the time needed, and figure out the oven's hot spots, i don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference.

My overall point is, as long as you dial in the temp and smoke for a couple hours, you can make Q in any cooker.
I mean, a MES is jsut an electric oven that you put outside since it makes smoke but still makes good meat.
You can smoke on a propane grill with some wood chunks, then throw it in an oven for 12 hours and get a good meat too.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a brick oven that I'm trying to figure out how to smoke meat in. It looks like something I can do overnight with the residual heat after doing pizzas, roasts, casseroles, and whatever. This is a different beast than the convective heat of a regular smoker.
I think the convective heat element is important. Is there anything you could do to encourage some air movement in your oven?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

It's totally doable, but as you've noticed, you've got a lot of thermal mass. If you can dial in a 225-275 oven temp with a small handful of coals, you should be good to go.
You may need to add supplementary smoke, like with an AMAZ-N, or some chips on a handful of coals.

Disagree.

As long as they can dial in a stable temp for the time needed, and figure out the oven's hot spots, i don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference.

My overall point is, as long as you dial in the temp and smoke for a couple hours, you can make Q in any cooker.
I mean, a MES is jsut an electric oven that you put outside since it makes smoke but still makes good meat.
You can smoke on a propane grill with some wood chunks, then throw it in an oven for 12 hours and get a good meat too.

I was reading what he wanted to do as Put brisket into still hot oven, toss some chips on coals and then forget it, which isn't gonna result in a "smoked brisket". If he can get consistent smoke generated, probably... good...? That becomes management though, as you are either consistently adding small bit of wood for smoke, or adding a decent amount of wood, and thus likely raising the temp so you gotta manage that.

I didn't mean to come across as "IT'S IMPOSSIBLE", just, "It doesn't sound like what you want to do will get you the result you want."

You can get a good brisket out of just literally a barrel sitting vertically on the ground, you can certainly get it out of a big wood fired oven, it's just gonna take work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a hinged, insulated door on the mouth of the oven that I can control and a metal flue that I cannot control. I got around five hours of smoke from three small, chopped oak logs working on existing embers. The door was almost completely closed; I was leaving it slightly open so my thermometer wire wouldn't get crushed. Despite this, I was getting blue smoke.

The general convection path for the oven is for air to enter the mouth, circulate around the perimeter of the dome, return to the top of the front, and exit out the flue. If I didn't have any airflow, how would I be able to burn anything in it in the first place?

There isn't much I've read for techniques on using these for smoking before, but one trick I had previously seen was to lay a perimeter of smoking wood with embers on one end. It will walk it's way around the perimeter, burning the wood, over a protracted time. I guess in spirit that's like using an AMAZ-N.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you know there's a circular path of the air I'd set it up so it goes

Door - coals - meat - flue.

Dial it in and I think you're be good to go like you hoped to almost set and forget.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Leg of lamb success.
2 hour pre-puddle smoke
24 hour puddle in the SV @ 132F
2 hour post-puddle smoke
charred on super hot grill

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 29, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Very nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a small slab of short rib and two racks of ribs that have been thawing in my fridge overnight, and they are not making a lot of progress. (The racks are still frozen together, even.)

I’d like to smoke the short rib tomorrow, so should I thaw it for an hour in circulating cold water beforehand or just toss it on earlier than I otherwise might (come on, midnight dinner)? Does smoking from (semi-)frozen affect smoke penetration or bark? It seems like it could.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made pork belly burnt ends, mac and cheese, collard greens, and bacon cheddar cornbread.

There are no pictures

There are no honored dead here.

Charcoal cook, mesquite start, cherry finish.
Four hours in the mid two hundreds.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Post your cornbread recipe if you have it handy. I have my old standby but I think I'd like something a little different.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Canuckistan posted:

Post your cornbread recipe if you have it handy. I have my old standby but I think I'd like something a little different.

Weren't talking to me, but I'd never pass up an opportunity to post this.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/moist-and-tender-brown-butter-cornbread-recipe.html

Really wish my wife could still digest dairy, I miss this recipe dearly.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/cheddar-bacon-scallion-cornbread-recipe.html

I didn't have any sour cream, so I subbed in cream cheese I had floating around.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Thanks for that. The brown butter is an interesting turn. I'm making some smoked meatloaf for supper so I'll try it out today.

At a BBQ place I go to their corn bread has a slightly sticky sweet top. Perhaps a honey glaze? It's yummy for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

What's everyone's go-to probe thermometer? I'm looking to upgrade to one with a wireless transmitter or bluetooth because I don't want to have to keep going out and checking temps.