Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Casu Marzu posted:

We have a pizza thread :qq: no one remembers me

Sorry.
I remember the movie starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner from 1984, but I forgot your thread.
I knew there was once a pizza thread, but I just assumed it fell into the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

oh sorry, I didn't really get very far in writing, you can reboot your thread if you want casu.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Someone who is not me needs to do iron chef allium, and brassica.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Gettin some tires installed. Writing a megathread on an iPhone sucks.

Did you end up with a wrx? I hope so.

Would also love to see a reboot of the pizza thread, I've always been a bit too intimidated to post, but with night time temps finally dropping below 95 its high time to start actually turning my oven on again.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dino. posted:

iron chef allium

Allium is a monocot genus of flowering plants, informally referred to as the onion genus. The generic name Allium is the Latin word for garlic.

:catstare:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

oh sorry, I didn't really get very far in writing, you can reboot your thread if you want casu.

I hope all you wrote was "I made bagel bites once in the microwave therefore I am the Master of Pizza" or something along those lines.

Seriously somebody write the drat pizza thread so I can be learnin' about pizza (and so can everyone else).

Me in Reverse posted:

Allium is a monocot genus of flowering plants, informally referred to as the onion genus. The generic name Allium is the Latin word for garlic.

English~.

I have a 24 pound loving turkey to roast today (and so many other things). This thing's breast is so big I'm surprised it didn't fall forward when a stiff wind brushed against it's back. Is stuffing stuffing up the bird's rear end in a top hat still "a bad thing" or is it cool to do that? Because I really prefer doing it that way but if there's some reason not to, I won't. I just can't ever remember because I make turkey once a year.

E: should I make a fall cooking thread? We usually have a holiday one, but a 'flavors of the season' kind of thing with common flavors as well as what's in season at that time (and comparisons, etc) might be a neat sperg? We could just do a different one for winter/spring/summer? :ohdear: But if people hate that idea I won't do it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Stuffing in a turkey is a bad thing. Stuff it with aromatics instead. Oranges, apples, plums, rosemary, thyme, etc.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Stuffing in a turkey is a bad thing. Stuff it with aromatics instead. Oranges, apples, plums, rosemary, thyme, etc.

Ah, right. It's chickens I get to ram full of bread components. Oh well. Gonna go cram a turkey with some fruit and herbs then. Gonna get in there deep :getin:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: should I make a fall cooking thread? We usually have a holiday one, but a 'flavors of the season' kind of thing with common flavors as well as what's in season at that time (and comparisons, etc) might be a neat sperg? We could just do a different one for winter/spring/summer? :ohdear: But if people hate that idea I won't do it.

It'd be nice especially with goons showing the different kinds of autumn flavours you get in other countries during this season.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Seasonal cooking threads sound perfect -- can focus on what's in season, 'flavors', traditional holidays, all kinds of stuff. It'd be a neat concept as opposed to 'pizza' or 'wok'. [No offense to the Pizza and Wok threads]

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I had a holiday cooking thread last year if you want to take anything from it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like to spatchcock the turkey, and put the stuffing underneath it to catch drippings. That way you can still cook the stuffing separately for safety. Also, I will take any excuse to say spatchcock.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Did you end up with a wrx? I hope so.

Nah I ended up with this:

03 330i ZHP front by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattmendoza/sets/72157635372871702/

We already have a WRX so I figured two was overkill.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I was going to post a pizza tonight once I get home. I didn't think to look for a specific thread, just the picture megathread. I'll look for the real pizza thread rather than the new one.

Me in Reverse posted:

Seasonal cooking threads sound perfect -- can focus on what's in season, 'flavors', traditional holidays, all kinds of stuff. It'd be a neat concept as opposed to 'pizza' or 'wok'. [No offense to the Pizza and Wok threads]

I think this is a great idea.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Me in Reverse posted:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I have a 24 pound loving turkey to roast today (and so many other things). This thing's breast is so big I'm surprised it didn't fall forward when a stiff wind brushed against it's back. Is stuffing stuffing up the bird's rear end in a top hat still "a bad thing" or is it cool to do that? Because I really prefer doing it that way but if there's some reason not to, I won't. I just can't ever remember because I make turkey once a year.

I would break the whole thing down and cook everything separately.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
The Spanish name for a pineapple is "colada", I have it on good authority. I also have a 5hp vita prep that helped me make about a liter of piña coladas this summer, good fun.

I hate to interest check, but is anybody interested in a party hospitality thread? I assume anybody who can cook can throw a drat good party, but since doing that is my actual line of employment (cocktails, specifically) I thought it might be a useful resource.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If the OP doesn't contain all episodes of Margaret Sense of Occasion, I wouldn't bother.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

The Spanish name for a pineapple is "colada", I have it on good authority. I also have a 5hp vita prep that helped me make about a liter of piña coladas this summer, good fun.

I hate to interest check, but is anybody interested in a party hospitality thread? I assume anybody who can cook can throw a drat good party, but since doing that is my actual line of employment (cocktails, specifically) I thought it might be a useful resource.

That's a good idea. Esp with Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas party, and New Year's Eve around the corner.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Why do people insist on rolling out sugar cookie dough? Don't they know if you're just making rounds you can roll it into a log with plastic wrap, freeze it for 30-45min and then just cut rounds off?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Why do people insist on rolling out sugar cookie dough? Don't they know if you're just making rounds you can roll it into a log with plastic wrap, freeze it for 30-45min and then just cut rounds off?

They like to suffer through rolling out cookie dough. I guess it's reasonable if they're making shaped cookies, but otherwise yeah I just roll into a log and cut after it's chilled.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would break the whole thing down and cook everything separately.

I wanted to. They wanted a "centerpiece". It weighs approximately 8 tons in it's cooking pan. They wanted it, they're toting it in from my car.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I wanted to. They wanted a "centerpiece". It weighs approximately 8 tons in it's cooking pan. They wanted it, they're toting it in from my car.

Gah. My family does it to, but it drives me insane. How is this (turkey breast + ballotine) not gorgeous?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

Nah I ended up with this:

03 330i ZHP front by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattmendoza/sets/72157635372871702/

We already have a WRX so I figured two was overkill.

nice. welcome to the 3 series club :munch:

I have this really awesome 1997 E36 that I just crossed 100k on, and I love it to death, but really getting a new car itch. I just can't bring myself to spend money on replacing a perfectly nice car though - might just like strip it down and explore the world of motocross or something when it comes time to part ways...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
An acceptable auto. Welcome to the wunderbar world of German Autos!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you feel about Hondas? I love my new little Civic, it's wonderful.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good car.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Vegetable Melange posted:

King Nosmo, would you kindly break down the USDA's pilot program to process poultry in china? How the hell is shipping perishable protein halfway across the world in bulk safe?

Frozen.

It's not the shipping that bothers me anywhere near as much as the horrible food safety failures, outright fraud, and intentional poisoning and adulteration that is commonplace in dealings with Chinese food production.

I simply wouldn't eat it.

Than again, try to buy from more local sources who have decent food safety programs.

China is not your best choice as a food provider.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Back injections went off without a hitch. Apparently I chatter on even under sedation.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made lamb racks last night, and deviated from my usual method a tad.

I frenched then seared them off, rubbed with rosemary, garlic and salt, then sous vizzled for a couple of hours at 132f. Pulled, ice bathed for 3 minutes, then breaded with panko and deep fried quickly. Result was perfect edge to edge doneness. Maybe the best lamb racks I've done. I should take pictures next time, they were so drat pretty.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anybody got a good chicken liver recipe?

It's Offal night at the house so it's Chicken Livers and Hearts. The hearts are gonne be churrasco de curacao.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made lamb racks last night, and deviated from my usual method a tad.

I frenched then seared them off, rubbed with rosemary, garlic and salt, then sous vizzled for a couple of hours at 132f. Pulled, ice bathed for 3 minutes, then breaded with panko and deep fried quickly. Result was perfect edge to edge doneness. Maybe the best lamb racks I've done. I should take pictures next time, they were so drat pretty.

Did you keep them as complete racks from searing to deep frying or did they get cut into chops before plating? I like the breading idea a lot because it can take the color instead of cooking the lamb further to develop a deep sear/crust.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KWC posted:

Did you keep them as complete racks from searing to deep frying or did they get cut into chops before plating? I like the breading idea a lot because it can take the color instead of cooking the lamb further to develop a deep sear/crust.

I cut each rack in half (4 bones) after I frenched them, so I could put the whole thing in the pot to deep fry them later. But then I cut them into singles when I plated them to make them easier to eat at the table. Doubles look nice, but I'd rather be able to pick up a single and eat it like a lollipop.

The only issue I had was a lot of the breading came off one of the pieces when I was frying. I think I had brushed on too much dijon ( and anchovie paste/rosemary/pepper/garlic) before I pressed it into the breadcrumbs. Normally I'd let the breading set up a little bit before I toss them into the fryer, but with this method I wanted the outside to still be a little cool when it went into the oil, and the inside still warm.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

It's Offal night at the house so it's Chicken Livers and Hearts. The hearts are gonne be churrasco de curacao.

Can I come over and eat? I eat less meat since I've been living with a vegetarian, so I never do the really gross stuff anymore.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

pate/mousse for crostini is my favorite chicken liver prep.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My favorite's adding it to a bolognese sauce (or using it in sauces in general, really) but probably more time/requires more ingredients than "offal night" would call for.

Really if I were doing an offal night I'd just pan fry them and have them with arugula and lemon but that's a lot of liver maybe.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sautée with fresh rosemary and pepper until done, blitz with fuckloads of melted butter in food processor, sieve finely to get out gristle, season and leave to set until cold. Hella good.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I really love just caramelizing onions for hours and then quickly searing the livers. Then again I love liver very much. I usually serve with cheesy mashed potatoes for maximum heaviness.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Breaded and pan-fried. Egg wash with yellow mustard, flour with salt-pepper-cayenne, in a skillet with 350 degree oil until done. Find the nearest person who thinks offal is eww and stuff your mouth full of delicious fried chicken livers right in front of their tastebuds-like-a-toddler face.

Speaking of tastebuds like a toddler, child, I understand that you are four, and that your parents are not adventurous eaters, and that your paternal grandmother thinks ranch dressing is spicy, but bell pepper and sweet onions are not spicy, especially after they have been sauteed.

:negative:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I like chicken livers most in pate too. soak them in milk for a while, clean all the gristle, and puree them with a bunch of heavy cream and a little brandy, and of course salt and pepper and some seasoning (herbs). I add a little pink salt to my mix too. put in a ramekin and cover really really tightly with foil, put them in a water bath, and bake until set. really decadent and good on toast, with a little jam. you can add other stuff to if you want to, like onions or asparagus or whatever.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chicken livers own.
Strangely, this is one of the nicest things I've had them in http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/981

I do love Pate, as well, but I find that it can kind of blow out my tastebuds too quickly to ever use it all properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I can't think of anything that pops worse than chicken livers in a fryer, but they smell good while the fryer is attacking at least. A friend of mine does them in a stew with dumplings and raw eggs thrown in at the end to partially cook. Saute with garlic and onions, toss in with the dumplings in whatever broth and throw in eggs after you take off the heat.