Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Haha, there's another thing I forgot about, and it's how great the katana descriptions are.

~~honored gaijin~~

Katanas are not one-handed swords! :spergin::arghfist:

Milky Moor posted:

"So I kicked him in the head 'till he was dead, ha ha ha ha!"

ME WILL CRUSH YOU! CRUSH YOU INTO GOO!

The Flaming Fist redneck guys were definitely the worst though.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"Spare no one!"
"Urrauao!"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The hobgoblins' voiceovers always reminded me of Lemmy, and that one knightly BG2 player voice reminds me of Eric Adams.

...A BG2 player voice acted by Eric Adams or David DeFeis would kick rear end.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Goddamnit just with the combat barks I started hearing some of the combat themes inside my head.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The combat themes that never end even when combat is long over. Was mostly fixed in EE but still happens sometimes.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

Katanas are not one-handed swords! :spergin::arghfist:
But how are you supposed to dual-wield them, then?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Speaking of themes, I always liked this one.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

You know what, gently caress it. If someone wants to write Mizhena as a companion, I'll do the coding.

You know what? You got yourself a writer. Do I assume correctly that the basic design goals for this proposed mod would be:

a. Mizhena has a companion for the duration of the Dragonspear expansion, and
b. feature interjections, banter with other NPCs, and a companion quest

Because depending on what you're envisioning, it could either be a lighter, more BG1-esque mod (join/kick-out dialogues with interjections only for the most plot-critical moments) or a more robust BG2-esque mod, as above. The latter would take longer, obviously, but wouldn't be a problem.

I mod a lot of games as a hobby, but BG/IE modding isn't exactly my strong suit. Still, I have basic familiarity with WeiDU and I've updated older mods to work with the EEs in the past.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Except for the opening theme, I never really liked most of the Baldur's Gate music. On the other hand, I could listen to the Planescape soundtrack on repeat for the rest of time.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Cirosan posted:

You know what? You got yourself a writer. Do I assume correctly that the basic design goals for this proposed mod would be:

Because depending on what you're envisioning, it could either be a lighter, more BG1-esque mod (join/kick-out dialogues with interjections only for the most plot-critical moments) or a more robust BG2-esque mod, as above. The latter would take longer, obviously, but wouldn't be a problem.

I mod a lot of games as a hobby, but BG/IE modding isn't exactly my strong suit. Still, I have basic familiarity with WeiDU and I've updated older mods to work with the EEs in the past.

If you link to your progress, Ill be happy to toss ideas :D I have written a fair bit, although not for mods.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Kavak posted:

Except for the opening theme, I never really liked most of the Baldur's Gate music. On the other hand, I could listen to the Planescape soundtrack on repeat for the rest of time.

Mark Morgan did a hell of a job there.

Also, there was a loop used in... Curst I want to think? That was also used in the movie 8mm. It was quite jarring hearing something that I associated with Torment in a movie that had nothing to do with it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Haven't played in ages - can you turn off that outline poo poo and everything else the new patch "improved"?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Wouldn't an enhanced edition just break all the mods/scenarios/gameworlds people have made for that game, invalidating it entirely? I mean it isn't like most people want to go relive the campaigns for that game and the expansions that badly.

He said he wanted to trash the campaign and do something else for a campaign while retaining the DM and toolset functionalities.

As for breaking mods, it wouldn't necessarily have to if it used the same ID numbers for the tilesets? I mean, I wouldn't mind if the game still used really simple 3D technology with some modern tricks to make it a bit more visually appealing, none of which would break existing content. Heck, doing it that way you could even have people with original NWN play with people with enhanced, though I am not sure what Trents plans really are. It's certainly not going to be going the NWN2 route from what I understood of it.

Rookersh posted:

Um how? Care to post an exact computer setup? Drivers up to date? Any wrapper based programs lying around that might be getting used by NWN1 mysteriously?

The immediate issues are in order.

- The character creator doesn't display the character model. Sometimes it'll crash with most people assuming it's from the unloaded model.

- As soon as you enter the game, the character will show up, but all NPCs will be the silver surfer. To fix this, you need to turn environmental effects off, which also removes all water from the game. This causes the game to crash sometimes when entering areas with water.

- The framerate can't get above 15-20 frames per second for some people. This isn't an everyone thing though.

- A number of scripts in the Luskan invasion don't trigger, meaning you can't beat the OC. A number of scripts in Act 1/2 of both Shadows/Hordes don't trigger, meaning you can't progress in either module.

Those are the biggest ones that hit seemingly everyone on the GoG forums. I don't know if more show up after that. When was the last time you played? When did you buy the games? Last time I tried playing NWN was shortly after they launched GoG Galaxy, since it looked like it also got patched, and I was hoping they might have finally fixed some of the issues.

e: I'm redownloading NWN, ya'll best not be lying to me. I want to play some NWN now.
Make sure you download the critical rebuild so you are actually playing the game in the latest version as I think the GoG.com version is actually unpatched from the final CD release.

Next for the FPS problem;

Try switching between one of these, it helped me. No, I don't know why.

Smol posted:

Haven't played in ages - can you turn off that outline poo poo and everything else the new patch "improved"?
Yes.

H13 posted:

(Look at them full-screen)
Ignoring the sprites for a minute, BGEE does look like it blurred the image quite significantly, possibly an artifact of having the ability to zoom in and out without jittering between.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wow the green dragon in SoD is a baby huh.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Wow the green dragon in SoD is a baby huh.

A baby to beat or literally a baby? Because I'm starting to feel I wasted all my top-tier strength potions.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Am I the only one who likes the black outlines?

I like it as well. The only thing I currently dislike is the fact that shadows are also outlined when you hover over an NPC.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kavak posted:

A baby to beat or literally a baby? Because I'm starting to feel I wasted all my top-tier strength potions.

A little of both. It didn't cast any spells like the BG2 dragons do. Didn't dispel me and just tried to melee and only used it breath weapon once. Playing on core rules so it should be using full tactics. I don't think it's fully grown like the BG2 / TOB dragons. It had some wyvern's come and help but it was just about dead by the time that happened.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Kavak posted:

There are two green dragon encounters in the game. One of them is a baby. The other is an adult, possibly with baby backup.

Cirosan posted:

Cool, let's do this, then.

I think what definitely needs to be covered are her various quest involvements. The one where she blesses parts of a destroyed shrine could easily become something like a small personal quest for her, actually.

Beyond that, I don't know. You decide how much you want to write, obviously. I think one banter with each companion and maybe two or three with Charname would already be a lot, considering SoD isn't that long.

Also, great that you have some experience with WeiDU, because I haven't published anything I've done so far. Btw, do you want to use Git for this or do you have any other preferences?

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 8, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

There are two green dragon dragon encounters in the game. One of them is a baby. One of them is an adult, possibly with baby backup.

Is the one in the cave the adult?

If so that thing is not fully grown or is just the stupidest dragon ever.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah, I think it's supposed to be a younger adult. It gives 13k XP or something like that iirc, so it's not exactly Firkraag. Considering you get to kill some of its offspring as well, I'm pretty sure it's not a baby dragon anymore, though.

Actual baby dragon is a random encounter, I triggered it after Boareskyr I think.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wouldn't a full-grown dragon shred a ~8 level party?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I don't know much about dragon life cycles, but I still found that fight pretty challenging with Insane difficulty AI and adds. It was the only one I just gave up on (after two pretty crushing defeats). The breath weapon in a small-ish cave was too much, so I ended up going back to camp and stocking up on Protection from Poison scrolls, then coming back a level later.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Technically any dragon can destroy a party of any level if you encounter it and the DM plays it like it ought to behave, but video games don't do that :v:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kavak posted:

Wouldn't a full-grown dragon shred a ~8 level party?

Yeah BG2 dragons would shred the party in SoD unless it was a very skilled player that knew all the tricks. You don't have the levels or the items you do in BG2.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Speaking of other enhanced and patched D&D oldies, why did I only now find out about Gold Box Companion? Auto-mapping, convenience options and hacks for all Gold Box games? Yes, please!

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

It also allows for sprite editing for some of the EGA games, which caused me to spend the better part of an afternoon doodling party members for Champions of Krynn.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wait, Dorn's in the game in the BRIDGE camp?!?

drat it. I'm at the entrance to the temple in the bugbear caves, can I go back and grab him?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CobiWann posted:

Wait, Dorn's in the game in the BRIDGE camp?!?

drat it. I'm at the entrance to the temple in the bugbear caves, can I go back and grab him?

Yeah. Though I would finish the Temple first. Because then you can win over the captured Crusaders so they will let you into the camp.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In case anyone is on the fence or curious how much game this expansion adds, I'm at 27 hours now and still going. I've missed/skipped some things to. They didn't exaggerate about playtime!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Dragons always get stronger and larger the older they get. Like Firkraag would probably be classified as Old or Very Old (400-800 Years Old) while the nameless Green would be classified as Juvenille to Young Adult (25-100 years old).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Rushputin posted:

Speaking of other enhanced and patched D&D oldies, why did I only now find out about Gold Box Companion? Auto-mapping, convenience options and hacks for all Gold Box games? Yes, please!

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

It also allows for sprite editing for some of the EGA games, which caused me to spend the better part of an afternoon doodling party members for Champions of Krynn.

Goldbox :3:

Somewhere I found a site that had like ~40 modules, starting with Pool of Radiance. Illl see if I can find it.

aha, here it is : http://www.therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 8, 2016

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Where am I supposed to poison the Crusader supplies in SoD? The general guy gave me the poison but where in the underground area is it

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Haha those katana descriptions. I love them, they are so white midwestern anime fan. The phrase "near perfect fighting sword" is still a big injoke among my friends who play these games.

Also I found my new favorite way to kill Drizzt. As a lot of ppl know you can like, trap him using party members who arent in the party. He wont attack them when he aggros because their neutral.

The typical way of exploiting this is to hit him with range weapons, which can take a gently caress ton of ammo at level 1. However, I realized this morning that 2 handers have like range on them. So

Step 1:

Have your party members hug him, a tight smothering hug that doesn't allow him to move.

Step 2:

Inform your party members that they should leave the party while they continue to lock our favorite purple eyed special snowflake drow in a tight, loving embrace.

Step 3:

While Drizzt is being hugged by our former party members, proceed to poke him, repeatedly, with the very tip of a two handed sword. A halberd would also work.
I like to imagine Drizzt flailing wildly trying to reach Dorn, his shoulder locked under Xzar's armpit, while Dorn stands maybe 4-5 inches past the tip of drizzt's enchanted scimitars.

Step 4:

I used to think the name of that scimitar was retarded but imagine stabbing someone in the face and then saying "I see that twinkle in your eye."

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 8, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did the EE fix the thing where enemies wouldn't attack summoned creatures if they didn't attack them? That was the old trick for killing Drizz't or the BG2 dragons, just surrounding them with summoned creatures so they couldn't move and repeatedly mashing the "cancel order" button so the summons wouldn't attack.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Woolie Wool posted:

The Flaming Fist redneck guys were definitely the worst though.

AH SURV DA FLAMIN FIST!!! :black101:

So general consensus (and controversy) is really getting me in the mood to jump back into infinity games.

Any word on how good Icewind Dale: EE is? If at all?

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 8, 2016

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
AH AM THE LAW

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did the EE fix the thing where enemies wouldn't attack summoned creatures if they didn't attack them? That was the old trick for killing Drizz't or the BG2 dragons, just surrounding them with summoned creatures so they couldn't move and repeatedly mashing the "cancel order" button so the summons wouldn't attack.

Yes, that was fixed.

Also in EE there's like a one summon per source limit. So you can't empty out a single wand of summoning anymore, you'd need to like use a wand, cast a spell, etc.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

NT Plus posted:

How much do you like being brutally killed? :v:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

chaosapiant posted:

In case anyone is on the fence or curious how much game this expansion adds, I'm at 27 hours now and still going. I've missed/skipped some things to. They didn't exaggerate about playtime!
I ended up at slightly over 30 hours myself, doing everything I could find along the way. Definitely a lot of content for an expansion.

frajaq posted:

Where am I supposed to poison the Crusader supplies in SoD? The general guy gave me the poison but where in the underground area is it
There are three indoors maps you go through there, the supplies (both water and food) are in the last one. Btw, you might want to use Invisibility potions/spells for the last one.

insanityv2 posted:

I like to imagine Drizzt flailing wildly trying to reach Dorn, his shoulder locked under Xzar's armpit, while Dorn stands maybe 4-5 inches past the tip of drizzt's enchanted scimitars.
:allears:

NT Plus posted:

It's good for the same reasons all the EEs are good imo: no more loading screens, area loot, tons of general quality of life features, ongoing support. You also don't really have to worry about mod compatibility because there are like 5 IWD mods altogether.
They added some cut content back in, some of which is nice, some of which honestly could have stayed cut.
Playing with kits and BG2 rules in general can be overpowered (Archers), but you can also try out some fun kits you normally wouldn't. I'm currently playing with a Dragon Disciple and a Dark Moon Monk, and I'm liking both of these but probably wouldn't ever use them for my BG character. Also, having Sorcerers in IWD is a quality of life feature in itself, given how sparse spell scroll drops are in this. About the only thing I really dislike is that the rules port also means IWD:EE uses the narrow proficiency system of BG2, and more than half of the loot is random, so you kind of have to know what the safe proficiencies are before you start.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 8, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

LowellDND posted:

Goldbox :3:

Somewhere I found a site that had like ~40 modules, starting with Pool of Radiance. Illl see if I can find it.

aha, here it is : http://www.therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm

That site hurts my eyes and is really hard to navigate. Probably appropriate to the old goldbox stuff though!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Keiya posted:

That site hurts my eyes and is really hard to navigate. Probably appropriate to the old goldbox stuff though!

Yeah, looks like a hassle to set up :v: Heres what Ive found so far

https://www.gog.com/forum/forgotten...ial_links/page1 how to download
http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php list of downloads
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/pc_modules.zip the download link

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Cool, let's do this, then.

Very good. To avoid cluttering up the thread, I'd recommend corresponding either over PMs or using Steam (my username is the same there).

Give me some time to power through the expansion and I can have a first pass within about two weeks. In the meantime, I'd recommend looking at the Branwen NPC mod found on this page - it's a heavily commented tutorial mod that walks you through the process of making a custom companion. This page also outlines the key differences of modding the Enhanced Editions versus the originals (in short, there are some extra steps that need to be taken for certain things and fewer steps that need to be taken for others).