Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

IronLawnmower posted:

Edit:
I just found this loving thing

If EVA02 was a guitar.

It probably does sell extremely well in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Holy gently caress, that's great.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

White Dog Eggs posted:

Holy gently caress, that's great.

yeah I play a UltraLight Firecode 30 - 5/8 in. Tapered Edge Gypsum Board

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fair Hallion posted:

on a facebook group for lefthanded guitarists, some guy has just very proudly posted his Jem's new trem

so dear thread, is this an improvement y/n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4&t=11s

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 9, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I agree.

It needs to be a hardtail.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

jesus, its a tumorcaster.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I would love all of my guitars to be hardtails now. I just don't use trems anymore. It's just that once the body's been routed for a trem (much less a big "tiger claw" rout like the JEM has), I've never seen one filled in that didn't look dodgy.

I'm all about the hardtails now, though. The two guitars I reach for most often are fixed bridges and I love being able to change tunings on the fly without doing a ton of setup work.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just wedge a block of wood or tape some pennies together and block the back of the trem. It's not difficult, though it can get annoying when you detune a bit and the reduced tension lets the block slip out of place.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Verizian posted:

Just wedge a block of wood or tape some pennies together and block the back of the trem. It's not difficult, though it can get annoying when you detune a bit and the reduced tension lets the block slip out of place.

O it's ok. I have a little block of mahogany that my Dad made for me back in the day that I slip in and out for things like string changes (when I want to remove all the strings and really clean the fretboard, for example) and I keep it handy.

I just remember Paul Gilbert doing this to his Telesevales guitar:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
aside from my first strat knockoff (that's long gone) i dont think ive ever had a trem on a guitar. just kinda worked out that way after being really into teles when i was younger

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

aside from my first strat knockoff (that's long gone) i dont think ive ever had a trem on a guitar. just kinda worked out that way after being really into teles when i was younger
I have heard so much great music made with Teles. I really dig their signature tone. I want one really really badly, I just don't know what to buy. I don't want to spend too much but I don't like those round radius fretboards either. I need to research Teles.

I wouldn't miss trem bridges if they all disappeared from my guitars, except, as I said before, to subtly add to pretty clean chords. I wouldn't do to any of my trem-routed instruments what Paul did to his plum Ibanez in that picture, though.

I just remembered "middle pickup talk" from awhile back. I've found that a DiMarzio Blue/True Velvet in the middle, lowered down away from the strings, can approximate that Tele twang. It's no real substitute for the real thing, though. It's too far from the bride to get it right. Coil tapping the bridge humbucker usually sounds way to nasal.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 9, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have heard so much great music made with Teles. I really dig their signature tone. I want one really really badly, I just don't know what to buy. I don't want to spend too much but I don't like those round radius fretboards either.

get a used tele body for cheap from ebay or wherever and a warmoth neck because they're compound radius

i built a strat from a $40 cort body and an allparts baseball bat neck with SD pickups and all told it probably cost as much as a new mim strat

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

get a used tele body for cheap from ebay or wherever and a warmoth neck because they're compound radius

i built a strat from a $40 cort body and an allparts baseball bat neck with SD pickups and all told it probably cost as much as a new mim strat
This is a good plan. I will endeavor to make it so.
What pickups give that best authentic Tele sound?

VV Thanks, cab. I hadn't really thought of a DIY Tele, the last time I really considered it was the, what did they call them? The Highway 66 Teles? I forget. But I do like a good Warmoth neck. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 9, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lame answer but I really like the stock pickups on the mia teles

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like that fadey greenish-blue on the guitar in the drawing, why couldn't they just make the guitar that color? But no.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
But that inlay though. :gonk:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

VV Thanks, cab. I hadn't really thought of a DIY Tele, the last time I really considered it was the, what did they call them? The Highway 66 Teles? I forget. But I do like a good Warmoth neck. VV

seriously as long as you get a decent neck and the body's at least cut even you can piece together something that'll play on par with a $1000+ american made instrument for less than half the price. worst case scenario you gotta plug and redrill a few holes on the body

dunno why more people don't do it

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

comes along bort posted:

seriously as long as you get a decent neck and the body's at least cut even you can piece together something that'll play on par with a $1000+ american made instrument for less than half the price. worst case scenario you gotta plug and redrill a few holes on the body

not sure if you're talking about telecasters or all guitars but either way I agree.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Fender installed the Cabronita's bridges too close to the neck, so I might have to plug and redrill some holes yet :thumbsup:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Allen Wren posted:

I like that fadey greenish-blue on the guitar in the drawing, why couldn't they just make the guitar that color? But no.

they were too ocvercome w/the anime

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Synonamess Botch posted:

not sure if you're talking about telecasters or all guitars but either way I agree.

definitely holds true for fenders but yeah pretty much any guitar

cobbled together instruments are the best

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
I kinda regret selling my first guitar abfew years ago cuz it was a strat copy and now I know enough to change the pickups and fix a few issues it had.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Concatenation posted:

not gunna lie, if it's possible to get just the bit of plastic covering the tuning pegs i kinda want that on my guitar because getting my hair caught in them is not an uncommon occurrence when playing gigs

Yes, this is the obvious, practical solution to your problem

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

comes along bort posted:

You can buy an Asian/Mexican made guitar for that and not have to dick around with anything.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Fax Sender posted:

I kinda regret selling my first guitar abfew years ago cuz it was a strat copy and now I know enough to change the pickups and fix a few issues it had.

Once you go down the road of pulling apart guitars, and giving them new guts, you are dealing with dark powers well beyond GAS.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

unlawfulsoup posted:

You can buy an Asian/Mexican made guitar for that and not have to dick around with anything.

if your mentality is "have to" and not "get to" then i just dont know what to say.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Synonamess Botch posted:

if your mentality is "have to" and not "get to" then i just dont know what to say.

Maybe some people just don't like to do that?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Synonamess Botch posted:

I just like to play the instrument, anything that gets in the way of that is just a pain in the rear end to me. I am not against people who like to build their own stuff, I think it can come out quite nice sometimes.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe some people just don't like to do that?
They are weak.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I just like to play the instrument, anything that gets in the way of that is just a pain in the rear end to me. I am not against people who like to build their own stuff, I think it can come out quite nice sometimes.
WEAK!

e: On the topic of having to do stuff to guitars to make them work, clamped the first two frets on the Eye for a couple of days, but no change in the high strings hitting them. Ended up doing the baking soda+superglue thing WDE recommended, aside from overdoing it a little on the first one I did and having to partially slot that with an x-acto knife, it went okay, seems to have done the trick. I did notice a rough raised area at the bottom of the guitar, I figured it was just sweat residue but I couldn't wipe it off with guitar polish etc and on looking at it closely it almost looks like the paint has bubbled in that area or something, like something corroded it maybe? Will probably buff it out with scratch-x later on.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 9, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ Scratch-X is amazing ^^

It's a labor of love.
Sometimes just sitting down with an instrument that needs a little TLC and stripping it down, taking it apart, cleaning all the little crevices, masking off the fretboard and shining up the frets, polishing out some light scratches, waxing it up and putting it all back together and putting on fresh strings and setting it up is just a couple/few hours of zen and relaxation.

It's similar to detailing the hell out of your car and doing tune-up work on it.
You just map out the work, get your tools together, zone into it; and afterwards you just feel great.

The next time you drive/play it; you think about the reason why it's so nice and shiny and rewarding and you know: You did this.

God I wish I had a neck jig and all the files and tools to do fretwork.

Then again, there's a point where it can turn from "zen and the art" into a chore and a job; and that's not fun.

Everybody's different. Some people would rather just go to Autobell and pay some kids $40 to detail their car, or pay some dude from Guitar Center to hopefully not gently caress up their beloved instrument.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

alternatively, you can buy a cheap average guitar and treat it like poo poo deliberately so all the paint starts flecking off and it starts buzzing and scratching when you change which pickup you're on. i don't know why i like busted guitars but sometimes it's really fun to sound like poo poo

another example is those dudes from the 50s that'd deliberately kick the poo poo out of their amps so they'd gently caress up and create an early distorted sound. that stuff is super cool

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 9, 2014

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

umalt posted:

But that inlay though. :gonk:

Once you get past the 14th fret it begins to stop making any sense.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

W424 posted:

Blackened hardcore is a good core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HhuCyd3nqA

this and also crust. hardcore in general owns

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have heard so much great music made with Teles. I really dig their signature tone. I want one really really badly, I just don't know what to buy. I don't want to spend too much but I don't like those round radius fretboards either. I need to research Teles.

I wouldn't miss trem bridges if they all disappeared from my guitars, except, as I said before, to subtly add to pretty clean chords. I wouldn't do to any of my trem-routed instruments what Paul did to his plum Ibanez in that picture, though.

I just remembered "middle pickup talk" from awhile back. I've found that a DiMarzio Blue/True Velvet in the middle, lowered down away from the strings, can approximate that Tele twang. It's no real substitute for the real thing, though. It's too far from the bride to get it right. Coil tapping the bridge humbucker usually sounds way to nasal.

have you tried a jem

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O, you.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Tele talk: if you want to get started with teles to see if you like the shape/tone, it's hard to go wrong with Squier's Classic Vibe series. They're fantastically made guitars for the price, and nail that classic tele sound.

Downside: heavy as gently caress (CV50's, at least, can't speak to CV Custom)

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Schpyder posted:

Tele talk: if you want to get started with teles to see if you like the shape/tone, it's hard to go wrong with Squier's Classic Vibe series. They're fantastically made guitars for the price, and nail that classic tele sound.

yeah i really can't recommend the classic vibe guitars enough, they're so good for the price. the vintage modified series is another solid group from i think the same year as the classic vibe guitars. the only issue people seem to have with them is the vintage style bridge

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Sleepflower posted:

e: On the topic of having to do stuff to guitars to make them work, clamped the first two frets on the Eye for a couple of days, but no change in the high strings hitting them. Ended up doing the baking soda+superglue thing WDE recommended, aside from overdoing it a little on the first one I did and having to partially slot that with an x-acto knife, it went okay, seems to have done the trick. I did notice a rough raised area at the bottom of the guitar, I figured it was just sweat residue but I couldn't wipe it off with guitar polish etc and on looking at it closely it almost looks like the paint has bubbled in that area or something, like something corroded it maybe? Will probably buff it out with scratch-x later on.

I'm glad you've got it playing well!
That bubbling is the nitro breaking down, it does that if you leave something plastic on the guitar/look at it funny/don't look at it funny enough/fart. If Scratch X doesn't work (not something I've used myself, but I've heard that Scratch X 2 is best for nitro, most water-based buffing compounds will do tbh), lightly sand it with 600 grit paper until it's smooth, then go up in sand-paper grades until you get to 1500, then buff it.

I like Tele's, their whole design is based around easy mass-production so they are super easy to make/work on/modify. The only thing I don't like about them is the jack-plug and the lack of a belly-cut, easy to fix though.

Schpyder posted:

The Squier Custom tele's are loving fantastic for the money. You can get them for under £250 new, or even cheaper second hand (I saw one for £80 in a local shop and there was gently caress-all wrong with it). The one with the P90's sounds great, the humbucker model is great too, although I think it would benefit from a pickup change (a bit muddy imo). I actually think the classic vibe stuff is slightly over-priced new, although great value second-hand.

ThePutty posted:

yeah i really can't recommend the classic vibe guitars enough, they're so good for the price. the vintage modified series is another solid group from i think the same year as the classic vibe guitars. the only issue people seem to have with them is the vintage style bridge

I hate those vintage bridges, 'close enough' intonation annoys me a lot more than it should (fun fact: If you give me a guitar to work on I will HAVE to intonate it properly, I seriously can't help it).

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
If you are going to get a CV50 try it in store first!!! The one I got is stupidly heavy and I have been getting the 'joy' of spending countless hours trying to unfuck it. It is pretty good if you want an example of poor craftsmanship though, the people making mine were so lazy they did not even bother to even half rear end matching the wood on it. I got it as a gift, otherwise I would have probably thrown it out of a window by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

If you are going to get a CV50 try it in store first!!! The one I got is stupidly heavy and I have been getting the 'joy' of spending countless hours trying to unfuck it. It is pretty good if you want an example of poor craftsmanship though, the people making mine were so lazy they did not even bother to even half rear end matching the wood on it. I got it as a gift, otherwise I would have probably thrown it out of a window by now.

Aren't the CV50's pine? Pine should.... Not be heavy. When I use pine it's generally construction grade stuff and I've never had any weight issues....

• Locked thread