Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Heath posted:

Holy Wow @ keyboard covers. That's a thing I completely forgot was real, if uncommon.

My grandma had the flexible plastic kind except it was so stiff that you couldn't really type and she glued the fucker on.

I JUST WANNA PLAY KINGS QUEST GODDAMN IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Heath posted:

Holy Wow @ keyboard covers. That's a thing I completely forgot was real, if uncommon.

kinda liking the idea as i type on my filthy keyboard

filthy from air-dust NOT my disgusting crud encrusted fingers

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Inzombiac posted:

My grandma had the flexible plastic kind except it was so stiff that you couldn't really type and she glued the fucker on.

I JUST WANNA PLAY KINGS QUEST GODDAMN IT
Ahem...
Kings Quest Collection on Steam
You still cannnnnn!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dexter Holland sounds like the real name of a Spider-Man villain.

I remember my dad being very upset if i didn't put the keyboard cover back on after using the computer.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

"...aaaaand
I float in the ocean!"
Sucks that it doesn't have the randomizer prompts but still a good kick of nostalgia.

I'm still searching for a version of Monopoly I had on my PowerMac 440. It was notable to me because the auctioneer sound clip was the same as in "The Guitar" by TMBG
@ 2:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OKac0K91p4

Was it a version of Monopoly that had drag and drop property trades? And if you tried to drag and drop money from the bank, a message popped up that it was robbery?

I had a mid-1990s Monopoly game for Mac and it was the best version of it I ever played. I should still have the CD for it somewhere.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pretend I reposted this time capsule of a video tomorrow. He will be 61.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Disco Pope posted:

Beavis and Butthead is hard to recommend anyone to hunt down, because the best parts were the music videos which a) exposed me to bands my little kid self would never have seen on TV otherwise (Dinosaur Jr, Pavement) and b) was absolutely the funniest stuff. With that stripped out, it's just these oddly sedate but nihilistic vignettes, which I guess do invoke aimless summers when you're a young teen.

Beavis and Butthead is totally about life as a misfit 13-15 year old in the early 90's (which is coincidentally the approximate age I was when it was on). The computer and internet wasn't in everyone's home yet, so you had to go make your own fun. I will admit it was slightly more absurd, but that's what makes it funny. Sure none of us played Frog Baseball, but most of us were forced to help parents around the house, so we know how much it sucked, and it sure would have been a lot more fun to paint "Megadeth" on the side of Anderson's house and steal his chainsaw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just watched Tales From The Tourbus and hearing Mike Judge's regular voice is weird, he just sounds like adult and smart Butt-Head.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Everyone has their favorite Star Trek* Captain, but do you prefer Joel, Mike, or Jonah?

*no mod jokes

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Busket Posket posted:

Everyone has their favorite Star Trek* Captain, but do you prefer Joel, Mike, or Jonah?

*no mod jokes

Kevin :colbert:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Busket Posket posted:

*no mod jokes

Jonah was my first, so I gotta say him, but they're all dope.

Then again, I was also the weirdo who liked Matt Smith the best of all the doctors, so....

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What kind of weird gently caress likes Jonah?!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Busket Posket posted:

*no mod jokes

I’ve seen more Joel episodes and I prefer him as a host captain, but Mike is a pretty swell writer (check out the MST3K Star Trek Star Wars TekWar episode guide). Haven’t seen the revival with Jonah because I don’t have time for tv anymore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Busket Posket posted:

*no mod jokes

No strong opinion either way. Joel and Mike have their good points. Mike is probably quicker with the riffs but he had the luxury of dealing with slightly higher quality movies than Joel. I've never seen any Jonah episodes.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I like Nelson because my first MST3K was the movie. Joel is way smarter, and Mike's politics are awful but his episodes were pretty good too. And both MST and Rifftrax are scripted so his dumb thoughts don't contaminate the performance, usually.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Joel because of his terrible low energy prop comedy days.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

What kind of weird gently caress likes Jonah?!

Yo. It takes balls to step up to fill Joel or Mike's shoes and Jonah did a good job without being a copycat or trend-chaser. The whole Netflix MST3k moves too fast with the jokes, but they're really good overall.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Beavis and Butthead is totally about life as a misfit 13-15 year old in the early 90's (which is coincidentally the approximate age I was when it was on). The computer and internet wasn't in everyone's home yet, so you had to go make your own fun. I will admit it was slightly more absurd, but that's what makes it funny. Sure none of us played Frog Baseball, but most of us were forced to help parents around the house, so we know how much it sucked, and it sure would have been a lot more fun to paint "Megadeth" on the side of Anderson's house and steal his chainsaw

I don't think I will ever forget the phrase "hwackin' off in mah shed".

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tool shed

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

:doh:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You said "tool."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Heath posted:

You said "tool."

yea yea...tool. heheheheheheheheh

I remember in the Bevis and Butt-Head X-mas special, one of the letters segments has them reading a bunch of letters where girls are saying they think Bevis is hot. I think on a 302010 a few years ago it was mentioned that the letters were totally real and girls did write in saying they were into Bevis.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFZH6naIDM

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Joel episodes have too many esoteric references and name drops and the really early ones can be downright boring because of how little they actually riff. They also chose a lot of 50's B movies which just aren't that fun to riff because they suck for understandable reasons.

The Mike episodes have overall the best balance and they started picking movies that absolutely should not have sucked as much as they did, which makes them more interesting to watch even without the riffing just to see how bad they are.

The Jonah episodes, well, the first one is dire and the first season is a bit rocky, but the second season is a big improvement. They try too hard to cram in as many jokes as possible, so it comes off as forced compared to how natural Mike and Joel sound, but I actually think they're the funniest overall because more jokes per minute = more jokes that land overall. If you need convincing that the Jonah episodes are worth watching, start with "Mac & Me", it's probably my new all time favorite MST3K episode.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I know this isn't the Post Your Unpopular Opinion thread, but I've only seen one episode of MST3K (Space Mutiny) and if they're all like that then I have no desire to see any more.

MST wasn't on TV here, so it's not something I grew up watching, but I've seen people talking about it online for 20+ years like it was the greatest show ever. So I finally sat down and watched it about two years ago and it was painfully mediocre. I was expecting they'd maybe edit the movie down to 45 minutes or an hour to cut out the dull bits, and the jokes would be better (and more of them). But they just watch the entire thing no matter how boring and the riffing consists of sick burns like "wow this isn't very good" and "haha that guy is dressed like santa". Yeah humour is subjective and everything, but I think it's something you had to have watched when you were 12 years old, not 39. Coming to it fresh in 2019 it just didn't hit at all and I think there are probably random youtubers doing it better.
:shrug:

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Aug 7, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

twistedmentat posted:

yea yea...tool. heheheheheheheheh

I remember in the Bevis and Butt-Head X-mas special, one of the letters segments has them reading a bunch of letters where girls are saying they think Bevis is hot. I think on a 302010 a few years ago it was mentioned that the letters were totally real and girls did write in saying they were into Bevis.

lol

I watched a documentary about Beavis and Butthead, and on it Mike Judge said that when they focus group tested B&B, it was universally hated by almost all women (which makes sense to me--I think to really 'get' Beavis and Butthead, you have to have been a teenage boy), except for Jersey girls. Jersey girls really liked Beavis and Butthead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sweevo posted:

I know this isn't the Post Your Unpopular Opinion thread, but I've only seen one episode of MST3K (Space Mutiny) and if they're all like that then I have no desire to see any more.
You have to approach it from the viewpoint of being 8-16, being done with your game collection, it's too hot to go outside, you've read all your magazines 4c over this month, and it's 2pm on a Sunday so nothing of value is on TV.

You channel hop across Comedy Central or SciFi and there's a movie that looks like Godzilla but it's a turtle and some guys are just throwing jokes at it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nbajambook/status/1423970223976325121?s=21

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FilthyImp posted:

You have to approach it from the viewpoint of being 8-16, being done with your game collection, it's too hot to go outside, you've read all your magazines 4c over this month, and it's 2pm on a Sunday so nothing of value is on TV.

You channel hop across Comedy Central or SciFi and there's a movie that looks like Godzilla but it's a turtle and some guys are just throwing jokes at it.

That's pretty much it, it's kind of hard to go into fresh. At the very least you probably already need a soft spot for it to overlook the near constant regressive jokes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

man all those goddamn baseball games on n64

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

man all those goddamn baseball games on n64

It's interesting that there's the same amount for PS, so there are 6 separate baseball titles. How many baseball games are popular now? The Show and ...?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The Joel episodes have too many esoteric references and name drops and the really early ones can be downright boring because of how little they actually riff. They also chose a lot of 50's B movies which just aren't that fun to riff because they suck for understandable reasons.

The Mike episodes have overall the best balance and they started picking movies that absolutely should not have sucked as much as they did, which makes them more interesting to watch even without the riffing just to see how bad they are.

The Jonah episodes, well, the first one is dire and the first season is a bit rocky, but the second season is a big improvement. They try too hard to cram in as many jokes as possible, so it comes off as forced compared to how natural Mike and Joel sound, but I actually think they're the funniest overall because more jokes per minute = more jokes that land overall. If you need convincing that the Jonah episodes are worth watching, start with "Mac & Me", it's probably my new all time favorite MST3K episode.

All of this, though I still refer you to the link under my avatar as evidence that Kevin is the real MST GOAT.

Or any of these songs he does for the Rifftrax live shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nwXZF-ksSI

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpaYIPXH-wM

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

silence_kit posted:

lol

I watched a documentary about Beavis and Butthead, and on it Mike Judge said that when they focus group tested B&B, it was universally hated by almost all women (which makes sense to me--I think to really 'get' Beavis and Butthead, you have to have been a teenage boy), except for Jersey girls. Jersey girls really liked Beavis and Butthead.

I grew up in New Jersey and I was of the same age as B&B and I don’t remember any girls specifically saying they liked the show but my complete idiot friends and I (also a complete idiot) 100% thought girls would love our similar-but-not-necessarily-inspired-by-tv antics.

Saint Freak posted:

Pretend I reposted this time capsule of a video tomorrow. He will be 61.

This was hilarious, painful, and 100% nostalgic for me. The girls in it would have been exactly my jam at this same point in my life. The hair, the clothes, everything.

Imperador do Brasil has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Aug 8, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sweevo posted:

MST wasn't on TV here, so it's not something I grew up watching, but I've seen people talking about it online for 20+ years like it was the greatest show ever. So I finally sat down and watched it about two years ago and it was painfully mediocre. I was expecting they'd maybe edit the movie down to 45 minutes or an hour to cut out the dull bits, and the jokes would be better (and more of them). But they just watch the entire thing no matter how boring and the riffing consists of sick burns like "wow this isn't very good" and "haha that guy is dressed like santa". Yeah humour is subjective and everything, but I think it's something you had to have watched when you were 12 years old, not 39. Coming to it fresh in 2019 it just didn't hit at all and I think there are probably random youtubers doing it better.

I saw the MST3K movie on TV on the UK and enjoyed it, but fell off trying to watch regular episodes. It has a bit of that gross "robots and SCIENCE! and "snarky" "humour"" nerd stink on it that I'm not fond of, but I can also see how this would appeal to a nerdy kid in the mid-90s when TV and pop-media wasn't completely ruled by those people and it felt like "hey, I'd make this with my friends!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shifty Nipples posted:

I don't think I will ever forget the phrase "hwackin' off in mah shed".

"hwack, hwack, hwack, just like a couple-a spider monkies"

:colbert:

FilthyImp posted:

Absolutely. It's sometimes hard to remember what TV was like before streaming, you were at the behest of whatever the TV had to offer, and you were on it's schedule. MST3K was great for that, because you didn't have to see it from the beginning, you could miss the first 10 minutes, or the first hour and not need to catch up. Unfortunately, for me, it just doesn't hold up now that I'm 40 and have Manos on Blu-Ray, I'd rather watch that than the episode that introduced us all to it.

Sadly, my TV is broken, so I can't even watch TV again until the repair kit arrives on Friday :negative:

EDIT:

Actually the episode of Beavis and Butthead "Killing Time" is the perfect encapsulation of how MST3K was appealing back then.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sweevo posted:

I mean, you're 100% right. MST3k was made for a fundamentally different paradigm than the one we have, and while it's tempting to be :smug: and say "well you know those youtubers were almost certainly inspired by MST3k or its various immediate derivatives" that doesn't change the fact that the original episodes are in-fact pretty stolid to the modern eye.

But if you did grow up with it in some form, it has a real warm blanket appeal, even the Netflix stuff.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Disco Pope posted:

I saw the MST3K movie on TV on the UK and enjoyed it, but fell off trying to watch regular episodes. It has a bit of that gross "robots and SCIENCE! and "snarky" "humour"" nerd stink on it that I'm not fond of, but I can also see how this would appeal to a nerdy kid in the mid-90s when TV and pop-media wasn't completely ruled by those people and it felt like "hey, I'd make this with my friends!"

The themesong of the show tells you not to worry about the science stuff because it's just a show and you should just relax

It really lampoons with the sci-fi pastiche more than glorifies it. More than anything it's a pop culture show from the 90s for people who grew up in the 70s-80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

There is a specific shade of pink that can only be achieved by someone's neon pink t-shirt recorded on a blown out VHS tape from the early 90s.