Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just watch Gordon Ramsay's F Word, because he's a lot of fun even when he isn't yelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

My mom adores the show Hoarders and I can barely watch it, the show is so deeply depressing and infuriating. Like people will literally argue over keeping a jar of mayo that's like 6 years old.

My mum likes Hoarders and other programmes of that nature. She always used to have 16171819 Kids and Counting on as background noise when I went in to see her. I never understood the appeal. She said she didn't either but there was something fascinating about it she couldn't quite put her finger on. Then it turned out the way it did, and she regrets spending so much time with it on. She mainly watches NCIS now.

My younger sister was once obsessed with Toddlers In Tiaras. I went in to see her once and they were doing some kind of toddler swimsuit competition and, well, you can call me a prude if you like, but it creeped me the gently caress out, so I got out of there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Robert Denby posted:

Another problem with reviewing reality TV is how ungodly depressing most shows are when you stop to think about them. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it would be to have to actually watch those creepy TLC shows that got canned because, shock of all shocks, there was rampant sexual abuse going on behind the scenes.

Storage Wars was originally pitched with the idea they'd go into the history of each locker, until they realized it's a giant line of foreclosures and bankruptcies where most of the people had happy, successful lives before an event put them in the downward spiral.

Also, there were quite a few who had committed suicide on top of it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
How the gently caress have we been having all this Gordon Ramsay talk without posting this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyoR7WrZJqg

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
On the other hand, I will defend Arranged with my very life. That is some good bad TV.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm not gonna click those, but goddamn is that guy in the screencaps silently begging for the sweet release of death or divorce, whichever might come faster :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 5, 2016

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
As far as cruel reality shows go nothing tops the ordeal of Nasubi

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Loose Cannon: Phantom Pt 2 is live:

https://vimeo.com/150312709

You'll have to trust me on that, since Vimeo apparently is stuck in 2005 and hasn't discovered slug-based URLs.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

The fu... what?

- Japanese gameshow producer tricks man into thinking he's auditioning for a gameshow
- lock him in a room, naked, and tell him he can't leave until he wins $10k in mail-in sweepstakes
- give him no food or water except for what he can win
- he barely wins enough food or drinks to keep from starving
- he never wins any clothes, so spends the whole time naked
- he slowly goes mental from the isolation and hunger
- they FILM HIM 24/7, adding wacky sound effects to everything he does, and televise it
- FOR NEARLY AN ENTIRE YEAR!
- and when he finally wins $10k worth of poo poo-- they blindfold him, take him to Korea, dump him in another apartment, AND MAKE HIM DO IT AGAIN!
- and then they blindfold him, and take him to another apartment-- where he strips naked again
- AND THEN THEY DROP THE WALLS REVEALING A LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE

And no one was arrested for anything?!?!??!?!

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Augus posted:

I didn't watch the video because I'm pretty much done with his poo poo but yeah that is kinda insulting if what you're saying is accurate. It's one thing to poke fun of the comparatively low production quality but if he meant that the stuff that made people fans of him was downright bad it's not a very smart thing to say, I'm sure a lot of his fans are still attached to those videos.

I've had the same accusation lobbed against myself. Maybe it's just a sign that Doug is maturing and looking to change direction.

Or maybe it's just how creative types operate - we're all ashamed of our past work because we're all ashamed of our past selves. I mean, have you ever tried to read anything you wrote in high school?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There's a fairly small time game critic on Youtube by the name of Heather Alexander. She has two primary series, Minicrits and Let's Remember. Let's Remember is basically an informative Let's Play series with the "Let's Crit" and "Let's Explore" variations spending much more time in in-depth criticism. I originally found her when someone recommended her Let's Crit of Shadow of the Colossus. Minicrits are more focused episodes that are not unlike Errant Signals Short Wave Transmissions.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KKall posted:

I've had the same accusation lobbed against myself. Maybe it's just a sign that Doug is maturing and looking to change direction.

Or maybe it's just how creative types operate - we're all ashamed of our past work because we're all ashamed of our past selves. I mean, have you ever tried to read anything you wrote in high school?

Why should shame enter into the equation?

It's just a matter of perspective; your older works were created without the same level of knowledge and experience your have now, but you needed to do it that way to build up your experience to the point it's currently at. That's a very basic part of human nature, you can't do algebra without learning how to multiply and divide, and you can't do calculus without learning algebra first.

In my opinion, you should be proud of your earlier works, because they're the building blocks to your newest works.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

KKall posted:

High school? I don't like reading what I wrote yesterday.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

lornekates posted:

The fu... what?

- Japanese gameshow producer tricks man into thinking he's auditioning for a gameshow
- lock him in a room, naked, and tell him he can't leave until he wins $10k in mail-in sweepstakes
- they FILM HIM 24/7, adding wacky sound effects to everything he does, and televise it
- and when he finally wins $10k worth of poo poo-- they blindfold him, take him to Korea, dump him in another apartment, AND MAKE HIM DO IT AGAIN!
- and then they blindfold him, and take him to another apartment-- where he strips naked again

Seriously, is this not criminal in Koreapan?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I remember reading about this a decade ago or so. The whole thing was kept thru a mix of legalese (a good part was settled in front of him), part of the show being done before (the diary writing aspect of it) and the guy himself not getting work for a long rear end time and keeping himself on a setting where technically he couldh have escaped. If anything, it paints it more like the second to last episode of Sex House.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just watch Gordon Ramsay's F Word, because he's a lot of fun even when he isn't yelling.

I remember some of the kids from Master Chef Junior did a post-show Q&A and one of the first questions they got asked was "did Gordon Ramsay swear around you?" and a few of them outted him so hard. Apparently they kept a Swear Jar on set and any time anyone (not just Ramsay) cursed, they'd have put like a dollar into it.

Most of the contributions were from Gordon, of course. Which is just hilarious :allears: I remember seeing the first MCJr promos and going "...Is this going be Gordon Ramsay Swears At Children? Is that what they're doing here?"

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

KKall posted:

I had to put together a reel of my editing work a few years ago when I was looking for work, and the hardest part about it was the embarrassment I felt watching stuff that I'd written, directed, and/or edited only a few years prior. And this is not at all unusual. I've heard anecdotes about Coppola and Spielberg screening older films of theirs, and having to get up and hang out in the lobby for certain scenes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lornekates posted:

The fu... what?

I didn't know The Truman Show was based on a true story.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why should shame enter into the equation?

It's just a matter of perspective; your older works were created without the same level of knowledge and experience your have now, but you needed to do it that way to build up your experience to the point it's currently at. That's a very basic part of human nature, you can't do algebra without learning how to multiply and divide, and you can't do calculus without learning algebra first.

In my opinion, you should be proud of your earlier works, because they're the building blocks to your newest works.

Thing is, creative work is largely about pouring a part of your own personality and thoughts onto a page, and as you grow and mature, that poo poo is shameful and embarrassing. Going back to an older piece of work that you did that expresses lovely views you're thankful you grew past in bad prose or whatever is a lot harder to deal with than going back to an elementary school paper where you hosed up a division question.

Most people did embarassing poo poo and made some real lovely mistakes that pushed them to learn and grow as people, but if anything that makes it harder to remember those mistakes proudly/fondly later on. When it comes to creative fields, It's basically taking those unfortunate phases you went through as a person that you really hope nobody remembers/holds against you, and putting it on a page/in a video/on the internet to be immortalized in some small fashion. And the more you learn from your mistakes, the harder it is to face the reality of some of the very first ones you made.

edit: i mean poo poo even my dumb name/av combo here is from when I was like 16 and it still irks me to see my name in a quote or whatever. could have been a year prior and been way more embarrassing, too. my steam client still says "darqkiller's account" in the corner please send help

Moartoast fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 6, 2016

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
^ This guy gets it.

Of course, a common bit of advice for the revision process for writers is to take advantage of this, set the work aside for a while, and then read it as if it were written by someone else. It works both ways: sometimes you look at a passage you liked and decide it needs fixing, and sometimes you look at one you thought was crap and realize it wasn't that bad.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Pawn Stars is a pretty fun show when they're chatting about history and the stuff brought in, less so when they do the really scripted skits. To bring it back to the topic of Internet Critics, Pat the NES Punk went on Pawn Stars once with his Nintendo World Championship carts.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kunster posted:

Sex House

How did I not have this in my life before now

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DStecks posted:

How did I not have this in my life before now

If you haven't seen them, look up "Lake Dredge Appraisal" and "Porkin Across America" from the same studio.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rcVuEfolVU
I love these stupid video's Phelous does, people think that voice is annoying but it just makes me laugh; much like Mike's old timey voice that he is using in Space Cop

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Phelous should officiate Linkara and Viga's wedding.

"If anyone has any reason why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your pEEEeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeace."

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Moartoast posted:

my steam client still says "darqkiller's account" in the corner please send help

You can change that by editing your profile.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

lornekates posted:

"If anyone has any reason why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your pEEEeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeace."

This would be wonderful. :allears:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The latest Animorphs Book Guide is up, this time on #52 The Sacrifice (Part One, Part Two). This is the one where Ax has to choose between his people and the Animorphs. Again. This is, what, six times he's done this now?

(holy crap, I only have two books left, aaaaaaaah!)

poparena fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 8, 2016

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

poparena posted:

The latest Animorphs Book Guise is up, this time on #52 The Sacrifice (Part One, Part Two). This is the one where Ax has to choose between his people and the Animorphs. Again. This is, what, six times he's done this now?

(holy crap, I only have two books left, aaaaaaaah!)

I read through them like, twice as a kid. Maybe more. I'm sure you can manage.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Uh, yeah, I'm pretty confident in my ability to read two childrens books. I mean aaaaaaah as in I've been working on this project for six years now and I can't believe I'm almost done.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

lornekates posted:

Phelous has been given the authority to oversee weddings, bris, and executions.

Nobody is sure why.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

lornekates posted:

"(stuttering) I now pronounce you man and BEE-UTIE!!"

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Akett posted:

You can change that by editing your profile.

Unless something's changed without me looking, your core account name that you login with can never be changed, and that's what sits at the top-right corner of the client. Your screen name can be different, but login info's always static.

or maybe I've not been paying attention and living with a small reminder of 13 year-old me for no reason for a half-dozen years!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I've never actually changed mine, so you may be right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moartoast posted:

Unless something's changed without me looking, your core account name that you login with can never be changed, and that's what sits at the top-right corner of the client. Your screen name can be different, but login info's always static.

You can buy a new username and it'll change the lot, I think.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbL0jIl-NY8

Doug's doing Shyamalan month, and starts it off with "Why do Good Directors go Bad?"

Highlights include: ignoring the Wachowskis' work after the Matrix sequels, dismissing the fact that Woody Allen is a rapist as "a rocky personal life", and the perfect line "Remember when the Coen brothers made a long line of bad films?"

No Doug. No I don't. Unless that long line is The Ladykillers which still doesn't stack up as "bad" compared to Coppola going from Godfather to Jack.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good directors go bad because they are in fact human and therefore ever-changing and fallible and also like a hundred people work on a film not just the director.
There, you now know the secret and it didn't take 15 minutes either.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Doug lately has a issue with going on for too long and thinking he's being far more insightful than he actually is.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 10, 2016

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LFK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbL0jIl-NY8

Doug's doing Shyamalan month, and starts it off with "Why do Good Directors go Bad?"

Highlights include: ignoring the Wachowskis' work after the Matrix sequels, dismissing the fact that Woody Allen is a rapist as "a rocky personal life", and the perfect line "Remember when the Coen brothers made a long line of bad films?"

No Doug. No I don't. Unless that long line is The Ladykillers which still doesn't stack up as "bad" compared to Coppola going from Godfather to Jack.

I saw the thumbnail and had a brief moment where I thought it was a review by someone else lobbing Doug in with them.

• Locked thread