Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I want Luke Cage Season 2 to have this scene shot for shot.

Edit:

That one too.

She's right. The right answer to peanut butter is always crunchy.

These are adorable. I almost want to read a comic book now. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

She's right. The right answer to peanut butter is always crunchy.

These are adorable. I almost want to read a comic book now. :3:

Crunchy and smooth are both right. The only wrong peanut butter is rancid peanut butter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Behold and despair.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Behold and despair.

Those bears have evil in their hearts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope the next season brings in tougher dudes so the fights have an excuse to get more interesting. I don't mean, I need them to be as strong as Luke but them being more durable would help out a lot.

Really, I just wanna see him clubbing people by grabbing someone by the leg and slamming them into other people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't even think he's gonna show up in Daredevil S3, but I'd love for Nuke and Luke to punch each other a bit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Luke's internal tissue is almost as tough is as skin, or close anyway. Not tough enough to keep him from experiencing brain trauma from that shotgun blast to the head in JJ but tough enough that they couldn't even cut through tissue underneath his dermis.

Claire was able to stick a needle behind Luke's eye socket to drain the fluids inside his skull. And they were able to draw blood by puncturing the skin from inside his throat. So no, he is definitely not impenetrable inside as he is outside.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Both of those areas are relatively soft tissue compared to the connective tissues and muscle beneath the skin and they pointedly said he's nearly as tough on the inside as he is on the outside so everything seems pretty consistent to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Claire was able to stick a needle behind Luke's eye socket to drain the fluids inside his skull. And they were able to draw blood by puncturing the skin from inside his throat. So no, he is definitely not impenetrable inside as he is outside.

You require an astounding amount of rigor and consistency in your comic book shows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

flosofl posted:

You require an astounding amount of rigor and consistency in your comic book shows.

Any amount is good.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Those bears have evil in their hearts.

Look at their empty, beady, soulless eyes. There is nothing there but darkness and suffering.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lurdiak posted:

Behold and despair.

Bears don't eat peanut butter. They eat honey. So unless that is one of those peanut butter/honey blends please remove the bears from the packaging.

The only animal that should be on peanut butter is a cartoon elephant.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gyges posted:

Or Peter Pan

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gyges posted:

Bears don't eat peanut butter. They eat honey. So unless that is one of those peanut butter/honey blends please remove the bears from the packaging.

Teddy Bears eat peanut butter, as well as children's souls. They are like raccoons for the stuffed animal phylum.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even think he's gonna show up in Daredevil S3, but I'd love for Nuke and Luke to punch each other a bit.

It could be interesting from a symbolism point of view given that Nuke is ex military, ex police and extremely white, but he'd need a significant powerup. Nuke was only in Jessica's league because she'd just been run over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well he could have grenades and stuff, I suppose.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Peanut butter that doesn't have any animals is the best peanut butter.
Also, crunchy.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Well he could have grenades and stuff, I suppose.

Makes me wonder, given Luke's healing factor, how well he could handle flashbangs.

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

It could be interesting from a symbolism point of view given that Nuke is ex military, ex police and extremely white, but he'd need a significant powerup. Nuke was only in Jessica's league because she'd just been run over.

And I thought Nuke's whole gig was that his pills basically overpowered him. State of the art combat drugs and all that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I'm sure they could retcon the JJ reds as the old formula and handwave up some improvements based on recovered Hydra research or something.

And yeah, Luke vs. military firepower would be interesting, him involved in something similar to Nuke's attack on Daredevil in Born Again could be pretty amazing.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 15, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DuhSal posted:

I noticed that too. They spent all that drama on getting the chest bullet out and then completely forgot about the one in the stomach. Unless I missed something.
They operated on his stomach. The bullet into his shoulder went through, you can see the exit wound in some shots.

Also I'm looking forward to Claire's martial arts lessons with Colleen Wing in Iron Fist.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 16, 2016

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Just finished Luke Cage and was really underwhelmed by the end. Cottonmouth was at least a somewhat compelling villain (though they actually developed his character weirdly late), Diamondback was just a useless psycho with a really lame "daddy loved you more than me" backstory. With Cottonmouth out of the way they sort of dropped the interesting "Luke Cage takes on Harlem's social parasites" and it sort of devolved into another punchyman spectacle.

I think I was spoiled by Daredevil Season 1. The entire Fisk vs Daredevil arc was really well paced and developed, and had a very real grounding against the economics of gentrification. There was a lot of rich potential for that type of storytelling in Luke Cage but was pretty much dropped in favor of the supervillain theatrics.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

After finishing episode 7 I've decided to give up on this show. I really wanted to like it but the pacing is really weird and they very clumsily try to subvert tropes by making the villains sympathetic. Bad cop lost his son who shot himself with his gun, bad cop dies in the same episode. Cottonmouth was forced to kill the only person who actually cared for him and he regrets it to this day, Cottonmouth dies in the same episode.

This kind of information would have been useful earlier in the season instead of being thrown at you in the span of one episode just before the character is killed off. All that aside the acting never improved and it's overly preachy so whatever, can't like them all I suppose.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Siivola posted:

They operated on his stomach. The bullet into his shoulder went through, you can see the exit wound in some shots.

Wow. Watching it while half asleep probably didn't help but still.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Demiurge4 posted:

After finishing episode 7 I've decided to give up on this show. I really wanted to like it but the pacing is really weird and they very clumsily try to subvert tropes by making the villains sympathetic. Bad cop lost his son who shot himself with his gun, bad cop dies in the same episode. Cottonmouth was forced to kill the only person who actually cared for him and he regrets it to this day, Cottonmouth dies in the same episode.

This kind of information would have been useful earlier in the season instead of being thrown at you in the span of one episode just before the character is killed off. All that aside the acting never improved and it's overly preachy so whatever, can't like them all I suppose.

The show peaks at ep7 anyways.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I completely agree. I feel like we really only started to know Cottonmouth as a person the episode he was killed off. We're given a few other tidbits in the late half of the series too.

Hopefully we'll get a full exploring of Maria's character and she isn't just quickly killed off in season 2 to set up the new Big Bad.

That said, I'm totally fine if Diamondback gets killed off by the Hand/Defenders' villain. But unfortunately, the end of S1 suggests that probably won't happen.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So did they ever explain where the "Cottonmouth" nickname came from? They established that he hated it, and I expected its origin to be in that flashback episode, but I don't remember it ever coming up. Was it because he worked for a guy named Diamondback? Or was that just a crazy coincidence.

Also I agree with those saying the show really lost steam after Cottonmouth died.

Edit: VVV Thanks

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 16, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

So did they ever explain where the "Cottonmouth" nickname came from? They established that he hated it, and I expected its origin to be in that flashback episode, but I don't remember it ever coming up. Was it because he worked for a guy named Diamondback? Or was that just a crazy coincidence.

When Luke is sitting outside Pop's, talking with Pop, Pop tells him how he got the nickname "Pop", and also tells him that Cornell used to run with Pop, and after he lost a tooth, Chico's dad called him "Cottonmouth", and it stuck.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

I'm sure it was largely for the snake parallel between Diamondback and Cottonmouth, I think they reference this at some point.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I hope Mariah and Shades become more "shades of gray" villains in the second season or Defenders. In a way, Mariah already fit that position. Uneasy alliances, that sort of thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mariah's only going to get more and more evil, that's her character arc.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Was rewatching the fight scene between Jessica and Luke and it feels a lot more interesting than anything we got in Luke Cage. Luke is way more threatening and imposing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2RivIH2wtk

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

Was rewatching the fight scene between Jessica and Luke and it feels a lot more interesting than anything we got in Luke Cage. Luke is way more threatening and imposing here.

It's the direction? I think there's fewer long shots than they used in Luke Cage, and those just kinda make it look like two regular people fighting. This one's a lot of closeups and short cuts, makes it seem more frantic.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm almost done with this show and still trying to avoid reading spoiler stuff but holy poo poo is it disappointing that they killed Cottonmouth and replaced him with the blandest loving moustache-twirling Bible-quoting stereotypical evil half-brother motherfucker on the planet. I'm hoping this turns around.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

When Luke is sitting outside Pop's, talking with Pop, Pop tells him how he got the nickname "Pop", and also tells him that Cornell used to run with Pop, and after he lost a tooth, Chico's dad called him "Cottonmouth", and it stuck.

Actually, I think it was multiple front teeth. Or so it appeared to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LinYutang posted:

Keeps in line with MCU canon regarding Luke's hatred of walls and/or cops.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Actually, I think it was multiple front teeth. Or so it appeared to me.

You're right. I knew it was multiple, but I still typed singular.

At least they didn't have him do like in the comics, where he gets gold fangs to replace his missing teeth...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I didn't know about the snake reference when I first started watching the show so I assumed it was some joke about him being a pothead growing up.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This show has some real high points and some real flaws, and like all of Marvel Netflix should have been shorter. But I dig how they do these really tired cop show trope scenes about how Misty Knight is a loose canon who wrecked 30 cars, except they fill the scene with 4 black women and don't make a big deal out of it. It's refreshing.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had a laugh when Diamondback gave his bible to the city councilman and he gapes in horror like Shelly Duvall discovering the manuscript in The Shining because... He annotated it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Dr Christmas posted:

I had a laugh when Diamondback gave his bible to the city councilman and he gapes in horror like Shelly Duvall discovering the manuscript in The Shining because... He annotated it!!!

That's definitely not "just annotated it" from what they showed of it. That's a crazy mofo's book.