Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Speaking of chances, I've been trying to get a Great Perm run off the ground by getting Lithuania and any other country to support my independence but I'm not exaggerating when I say that I restarted +20 times and Poland picked Jagiellon every single time. I checked to see if the hotfix changed the percentages but it's still 75-25%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Deport The Irish posted:

I don't care. It's an infinitesimal either way.
It's also assuming 0 fort defence. It could be a lot fewer rolls than 24.

quote:

Another Bug: The game just keeps randomly taking out loans for no reason. Got hundreds of ducats in the bank and it's claming I'm in debt and takes out another loan. Jesus loving Christ paradox get at least one playtester before you release poo poo. Just loving one.

I have the sneaking suspicion they already have more than one playtesters, and that you just cannot catch and fix literally every bug that gets introduced throughout the development process before release. If a bug comes up late in development you don't really have the time to discover it and fix it.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Deport The Irish posted:

Another Bug: The game just keeps randomly taking out loans for no reason. Got hundreds of ducats in the bank and it's claming I'm in debt and takes out another loan. Jesus loving Christ paradox get at least one playtester before you release poo poo. Just loving one.

There is a notification now whenever your loan gets renewed (it used to just silently do it). Not a bug.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Speaking of chances, I've been trying to get a Great Perm run off the ground by getting Lithuania and any other country to support my independence but I'm not exaggerating when I say that I restarted +20 times and Poland picked Jagiellon every single time. I checked to see if the hotfix changed the percentages but it's still 75-25%.

The first game after I give up and try another country they get local nobles. :smith:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Ideas Guy is a pretty neat achievement. I finally got bored and quit in the 1780's with an income of about 600 ducats a month.

Started in Cameroon with a Hindu Dutch Republic. You get so many extra monarch points with Dutch Republic that I boosted development a few times in Cameroon to be able to afford my first colonies. That one Hindu deity that gives a bonus to taxes and trade efficiency was also instrumental early on.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 6, 2015

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

anti_strunt posted:

Was the "Paused" banner always on a higher layer than all the interface tool-tips?

Alright, so anyone know if this is easy to mod? It seems like an absurd change.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

YF-23 posted:

I have the sneaking suspicion they already have more than one playtesters, and that you just cannot catch and fix literally every bug that gets introduced throughout the development process before release. If a bug comes up late in development you don't really have the time to discover it and fix it.

While it sounds like the guy you quoted was talking about the renewal notification, Paradox releases do seem to be a lot buggier than most.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Traxis posted:

Anybody else have this issue with water in game?

Zoomed in:

Zoomed out:

In motion it looks even worse because it flickers as I zoom in/out. I played around with the graphics settings as well as my driver settings but nothing fixes it. Map/water graphics mods don't change it either.

IIRC that's just how the map LODs work. It's like that so it's not displaying dynamic water at the highest quality for the entire world's coastline when you're zoomed out. It will stop displaying dynamic water around the smaller spaces first, so places like greece will look really bad. The distance could be increased a bit though because as you've pointed out it's quite noticeable.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 6, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I really like these new custom nation achievements, I just finished From Humble Origins.

Since the Reconquista started in Asturias we have a saying here that goes "Asturias is Spain, the rest is conquered land". I figured I'd give it a shot :haw:

Also featuring Revolutionary Japanese France (this was weird, they still had 3 provinces in Europe)

Super Kilwa

And the African Balkans:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

anti_strunt posted:

Alright, so anyone know if this is easy to mod? It seems like an absurd change.

I sure hope so, because it's really drat annoying. I assume someone did this as part of a testing session and then forgot to undo it, because really there's not a good reason to make the pause banner so obstructive

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno how you'd change the layer order, but changing the pause banner into something tiny and unobstructive (or just deleting it entirely) would be super easy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wafflecopper posted:

While it sounds like the guy you quoted was talking about the renewal notification, Paradox releases do seem to be a lot buggier than most.

Getting a bug, or something that you think is a bug, and then coming in to complain about how the game has obviously not been playtested at all is an overreaction at the very least.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How is the Teutonic order now? It seems like the new favor system may have really hosed with them. I guess probably supporting sweden and using sweden to conquer either LO or Pomerania is the best bet?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

TO in my games seems to be doing well. Every time I ally poland they seem to reject the PU over lithuania, declare on TO+LO, and get their asses kicked so hard that even moldavia outguns them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It should also still be really easy to hop in the HRE at the start and then you have an extra layer of protection from Big Daddy Austria.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
My very correct and insightful review of Estates in my two hours of playing this expansion: Estates are bad. Feels like the same game as before, but now I have three groups of people I have to keep happy or else I can't play the game like I want to.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

YF-23 posted:

Getting a bug, or something that you think is a bug, and then coming in to complain about how the game has obviously not been playtested at all is an overreaction at the very least.

To be fair, a lot of people itt have been talking about some pretty serious show-stoppers, like save game corruption. So either thorough playtesting didn't catch these common, serious bugs (unlikely), playtesting only covered new features without actually playing through whole games (possible but still bad), or there was no playtesting (I don't actually know whether any popular developers even do this). Or I guess maybe it's possible that these bugs were identified late and the patch was released anyway (lol)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

clamiam45 posted:

My very correct and insightful review of Estates in my two hours of playing this expansion: Estates are bad. Feels like the same game as before, but now I have three groups of people I have to keep happy or else I can't play the game like I want to.

Called it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

YF-23 posted:

No disagreement there, I'm just saying Paradox aren't exactly above reproach with regards to their playtesting regime. Quark said it better already.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I still think estates are cool and good. I like getting more monarch points, yes please.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

I still think estates are cool and good. I like getting more monarch points, yes please.

Or free ducats, or free manpower, or cheap advisors, or free generals, or free admirals, or free +colony growth, or free trade power, or free units.

Honestly estates seem OP to me. They are easy to pacify and are quite co-operative. Maybe there should be some kind of "intellectual penalty over time" that makes estates harder and harder to please and more and more useless as time goes on, plus some way to kill them off in some kind of ... revolution.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Imagine if you could somehow train a monkey to enjoy blobbing and war. That's pretty much how I play this game. A very low cerebral level akin to a primitive ape. I just don't have the brain cycles to devote to Estates!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

clamiam45 posted:

Imagine if you could somehow train a monkey to enjoy blobbing and war. That's pretty much how I play this game. A very low cerebral level akin to a primitive ape. I just don't have the brain cycles to devote to Estates!

Put any newly conquered territory under Clergy, any trade centres under Burgher and any territory with 2 or more military development under Noble until you get 75% or so loyalty then roll your face on "GIVE ME MONARCH POINTS" every time it's on cooldown.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Or free ducats, or free manpower, or cheap advisors, or free generals, or free admirals, or free +colony growth, or free trade power, or free units.

Honestly estates seem OP to me. They are easy to pacify and are quite co-operative. Maybe there should be some kind of "intellectual penalty over time" that makes estates harder and harder to please and more and more useless as time goes on, plus some way to kill them off in some kind of ... revolution.

I'm liking the estates for the same reasons you are. And I was just thinking about how the game should build up to the French Revolution too. That being said, estates can be a real pain in the rear end when you get two event pops within ten years of each other that give out +25 influence to the nobility on top of the AI seeding noble estates throughout literally every drat province it can. You should see the Ottomans in my Third Way game its nothing but Beys everywhere.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Really hoping they add some Estate achievements in the next patch and I'd like to submit "Dhimmi More" and "Bey Caught Me Slippin" as potential names.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Eej posted:

Put any newly conquered territory under Clergy, any trade centres under Burgher and any territory with 2 or more military development under Noble until you get 75% or so loyalty then roll your face on "GIVE ME MONARCH POINTS" every time it's on cooldown.

Boy I wish I had known about those buttons before I was 200 years deep in my ironman game.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Lots of the events like the "growing city attracts serfs" now demand a little thinking instead of just clicking the same answer every time no matter what

everyone who bitches about estates is basically the forums status-quo estate "Wiz stop adding poo poo that I don't understand"

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Eej posted:

Thanks I will try this! What do the bad events at 80% influence do? I've not engaged it yet. Is it worth it to try to lower influence? Is there any way other than taking away their clay?

skipThings posted:

everyone who bitches about estates is basically the forums status-quo estate "Wiz stop adding poo poo that I don't understand"

Totally agree with this. People want something else to do during peace time but I'd just like the opportunity to get in more wars instead.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

clamiam45 posted:

Thanks I will try this! What do the bad events at 80% influence do? I've not engaged it yet. Is it worth it to try to lower influence? Is there any way other than taking away their clay?

If you go over 80% Influence a Disaster will start ticking and if it fires that estate will take over your country and give nasty penalties. You then have to reduce their Influence and pay a bunch of stuff to remove the estate from power, it's bad.

Generally just try to keep your Influence under 70 so you don't have random events push you above it. And yes easiest way is to swap around province assignments but that won't go all that far, Influence is pretty hard to lower significantly. Basically don't get greedy with milking estate bonuses.

Edit: rather than actively trying to "farm" the monarch point income options from estates, I mainly use them to help balance out events. Get a -1 stability when you can't really afford it? Demand 100 ADM from your estates. An event gives me a choice between -25 Loyalty and bad poo poo? I can push the button to increase their loyalty.

I feel like it just gives me more flexibility.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 7, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's especially rough with the Tribes estate. Once you blob up they get a 40% Influence bonus from country size, which added to their base of 10% and 20% from the provinces you need to give them to keep them loyal, means you basically can't ever ask them for anything without firmly putting yourself into disaster territory.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

PittTheElder posted:

It's especially rough with the Tribes estate. Once you blob up they get a 40% Influence bonus from country size, which added to their base of 10% and 20% from the provinces you need to give them to keep them loyal, means you basically can't ever ask them for anything without firmly putting yourself into disaster territory.

You can ask for manpower because that only costs loyalty. Not being able to raise a host unless you time it against a -influence event does kind of suck. I've started up some test games of Oman and Perm and didn't even really notice the estates (but didn't get far).

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It looks like Arumba is working on a sort of interface mod which adds in an extra little box beneath the overextension tooltip in the bottom left of the "Sue For Peace" window which tells you how much admin it will cost to core the lands you are taking. Supposedly he can't mod the actual interface himself, but if he figures out all of the art and interface stuff, apparently Wiz has said that if it works out, he will add it into the game. Sounds like a good idea to me. Apparently the addition will tell you how much all of the cores will cost, including any modifiers to reduce that cost.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Quitting out and restarting the game every time you change menus is so goddamn annoying.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arzakon posted:

You can ask for manpower because that only costs loyalty. Not being able to raise a host unless you time it against a -influence event does kind of suck. I've started up some test games of Oman and Perm and didn't even really notice the estates (but didn't get far).

I guess there is still that. I tried just cutting them out of power by revoking all of their provinces, but sitting through -1.50 Horde Unity is kind of rough. But I also didn't blob up nearly as much as I clearly should have based on that Nogai game.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Quitting out and restarting the game every time you change menus is so goddamn annoying.

Especially if you just want to get a cool RNW seed, or like me are trying to get an optimal Ideas Guy start as Ösel. I had to restart that drat thing 8 times before a good series of events allowed me to take Riga and Livonia using Novgorod, then turn on Novgorod with Muscovy to take the Swedish border.

Of note by the way. How long do you reckon I have before Muscovy gets pissed and turns on me? I took what is basically all of the Swedish border except Arkangelsk. They demarked the land as being of vital interest due to me holding it while being their ally. When they form Russia maybe?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eej posted:

Also, nobles are great buddies for forts.

Ideas Guy finished in 1680 or so. :toot: Started in Changtang - you know, one of the Himalayan provinces. Early discipline and morale let you just completely roll anyone nearby who's smaller than Bengal, and with a Hindu start you can ally Nepal immediately and Orissa not long thereafter. Then you're a Dutch Republic with ridiculous ideas that can pick off chunks of Bengal and start making boatloads of cash to finance your conquests and colonies.

I decided to go with a Chinese culture - you'll get Tibetan and Bengali accepted really easy anyway, may as well look towards the midgame and all those tiny Chinese cultures.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 7, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to accept pretender rebel demands. Just give it a stab hit or something, if you want to let them win you can do it 100% of the time but it gets boring waiting 5 years for the fuckers to actually reach the capital and take over.

By the way, if you get the regency event to educate your heir in a stat and then lose to pretender rebels the pretender gets the education bonus

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Yashichi posted:

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to accept pretender rebel demands. Just give it a stab hit or something, if you want to let them win you can do it 100% of the time but it gets boring waiting 5 years for the fuckers to actually reach the capital and take over.

By the way, if you get the regency event to educate your heir in a stat and then lose to pretender rebels the pretender gets the education bonus

"Nice books nerd"

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just had a stack of pretenders 1/4 of the way to enforcing when they took a wrong turn at one of my border provinces and dove straight into another country's mountain province with twice as many men as they had. It'll take me all of the 14 years left of the regency to pick my jaw up off the floor from seeing that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if there's a way to change what unit models are used by countries generated in the random new world? I wanted to make it so my game with the Crimson, Burning, and Obsidian empires had them actually use the Mayan, Inca, and Aztec unit packs I bought instead of what I think are just generic vanilla south or central american models. I found a post talking about how to edit that in your save, but random new world forces compressed saves so as far as I know I can't edit mine.

• Locked thread