Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I don’t know, I think it makes its point very clearly, if the point is that there’s a small outbreak in China and the rest of the world is freaking out over nothing (ok, over a common cold.)

There's people way undershooting the severity of the issue by describing it like it's a common cold. Except the common cold doesn't really kill that many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The flu kills an order of magnitude or two more, yearly, without the world freaking out. The coronavirus family causes a respiratory disease colloquially known as the common cold, that’s not my fault.

Combine the two informations and it’s not people like me who are downplaying the infection, it’s the world governments and media who are screaming like crazy about it and trying to create a panic to distract from their local crimes and misdeeds.

So basically, yes, there’s a cold going around in China, and that map makes it perfectly clear. It also makes clear how much bullshit the whole mass hysteria is. I stand by my judgement that it is a good map for showing what it shows.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Yes it's a coronavirus, no it's not the common cold. The common cold doesn't have a 14% fatality rate for people aged 80+. COVID-19 is not the ebola zombie apocalypse, but thousands of people have died, and thousands more will continue to die. Ironically, washing your hands of it is not helpful.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The only thing that can stop the coronavirus is to break its back, put it in camel clutch, beat the gently caress out of it.

Works Cited

the_ironsheik. (2020, March 4). I BREAK THE CORONAVIRUS BACK PUT IT IN CAMEL CLUTCH BEAT THE gently caress OUT OF IT [Tweet]. https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1235180573594877953

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

HerStuddMuffin posted:

The flu kills an order of magnitude or two more, yearly, without the world freaking out. The coronavirus family causes a respiratory disease colloquially known as the common cold, that’s not my fault.

Combine the two informations and it’s not people like me who are downplaying the infection, it’s the world governments and media who are screaming like crazy about it and trying to create a panic to distract from their local crimes and misdeeds.

So basically, yes, there’s a cold going around in China, and that map makes it perfectly clear. It also makes clear how much bullshit the whole mass hysteria is. I stand by my judgement that it is a good map for showing what it shows.

Sure the flu kills way more, that's because the flu had already spread worldwide. If as many people got sars2 as flu, the former would most probably handily beat the latter in yearly deaths.

We can't stop flu from going global each year for diverse reasons, but it is in our best interest to prevent sars2 from becoming pandemic. Saying it "goes around China" is disingenuous at this point, it has long since left that country and started spreading overseas.

Also as said, sars/sars2 and mers don't cause "the common cold". There is a reason COVID-19 exists, it's the term to designate the disease sars2 engenders.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HerStuddMuffin posted:

what if there was a virus that only infected people who think they're smarter than every public health organization in the world

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bullets have killed more people than atomic bombs and that’s why nuclear disarmament is a distraction.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

what if there was a virus that only infected people who think they're smarter than every public health organization in the world

In the modern era we call that Measles.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
No, that one kills the moron's kids :smith:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Fathis Munk posted:

Sure the flu kills way more, that's because the flu had already spread worldwide. If as many people got sars2 as flu, the former would most probably handily beat the latter in yearly deaths.
My point isn’t that the flu kills orders of magnitude more every year, it is that it kills orders of magnitude more, every year, without every news organization and government in the world tripping over themselves to make it sound like the Black Death had Ebola’s love child.

Yes it is a real disease that really kills real people and it’s really tragic, but things do need to be kept in perspective and at the end of the day it’s just an overblown cold, and the common cold also kills real old and real sick real people every year, except in complete obscurity.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I feel like if there was a threatening new disease that might end up even a fraction as nasty as flu, it would actually be kind of a big deal.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Governments all over the world have public health and flu shot campaigns every year and all of them are aware of the public health implications flu has. The difference is that we cannot prevent the globalization of flu anymore.

There is a difference between already established diseases and a newly emergent one where we still have a chance to try and contain it before it becomes just another yearly killer. Also once more, covid19 is not just the common cold, just as flu is not a common cold.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

My point isn’t that the flu kills orders of magnitude more every year, it is that it kills orders of magnitude more, every year, without every news organization and government in the world tripping over themselves to make it sound like the Black Death had Ebola’s love child.

Yes it is a real disease that really kills real people and it’s really tragic, but things do need to be kept in perspective and at the end of the day it’s just an overblown cold, and the common cold also kills real old and real sick real people every year, except in complete obscurity.

Your point seems to be that you're dumb as hell. The common cold has nothing like mortality rate of covid-19, not even close. When was the last time a 33 year old died of the common cold with no other health complications?

annually in the UK 600 people die from flu. At the high estimate of 2% mortality rate then covid-19 would need to infect 30,000 people, at the low end (0.8%) that would be 75,000 people to hit 600 deaths. These are not big numbers when looking at the issues with controlling the spread. especially if they could be prevented.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Mar 4, 2020

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Akshually the common cold doesn't have a mortality rate at all because it's a catch-all term that contains various different diseases.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The common cold is like the Trinity.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Actually I've changed my mind, I agree with the weirdo, this is all a conspiracy by Big Soap to push handwashing on us all and cause imbalances in our bodily humours.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We're starting to see outlook is very dependent on hospital capacity and most of the fatalities came when Wuhan facilities were overstressed. Other Chinese provinces and the other countries starting to break out have seen mortality closer to an average cold.

If you read between the lines here it's not really good news though. If there's a real outbreak in the US it's going to be apocalyptic given how the hospital system is sized, priced, and utilized.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Platystemon posted:

Bullets have killed more people than atomic bombs and that’s why nuclear disarmament is a distraction.

This is a great line which I am going to steal and re-use in offline conversations to make myself sound smarter. Thanks.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Yeah, let’s just shelve the derail for a couple of months until the panic has died down and covid-19 has gone the way of SARS, the swine flu, and countless others before it. I’m sure the alarmist idiots will be very quick to congratulate themselves for stopping what undoubtedly would have been the next Spanish flu if not for their heroic efforts :newfap:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Whatever gets you to stop posting

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Yeah, let’s just shelve the derail for a couple of months until the panic has died down and covid-19 has gone the way of SARS, the swine flu, and countless others before it. I’m sure the alarmist idiots will be very quick to congratulate themselves for stopping what undoubtedly would have been the next Spanish flu if not for their heroic efforts :newfap:

What, you think someone would come into this thread and act incredibly smug? Surely not.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pastry of the Year posted:

The only thing that can stop the coronavirus is to break its back, put it in camel clutch, beat the gently caress out of it.

Works Cited

the_ironsheik. (2020, March 4). I BREAK THE CORONAVIRUS BACK PUT IT IN CAMEL CLUTCH BEAT THE gently caress OUT OF IT [Tweet]. https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1235180573594877953

gently caress me rigid this guy's a pro follow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Tell us how you feel about the Y2K problem.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ah yes, it's good that sars just decided to give up on its own without human precautions taken to stop it spreading. It's also good that avian and swine flus just don't do anything, without us having to monitor, vaccinate and cull infected animals.

Really, viral pandemics aren't so bad are they. Maybe we should just ignore them and roll the dice!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I work with the public, and I've heard a bunch of people say that they thought the virus is probably worse than is being reported in the media. From coworkers also. Never underestimate people's distrust of the media and willingness to accept conspiracy theories.

I'm saying you could talk all you want with percentages and stats about the regular ol flu and how the virus isn't so bad and you wouldn't shift a lot of people's minds at all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Mar 5, 2020

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Swine flu infected a more than a tenth of the planet and killed hundreds of thousands of people, and covid-19 has a death rate orders of magnitude higher. I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make here, if covid-19 reaches anywhere near the spread of swine flu it will kill millions.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Is there a name for the phenomena where a serious problem is discovered -> it hits the media and the general public gets concerned -> people like HSM say things like "why are you worried, remember the last time there was something like this and nothing happened?" -> a poo poo ton of resources and labor go into stopping the problem or mitigating the worst outcomes so the most serious predicted effects don't happen -> people like HSM say "See? I was right all along, you stupid panicking sheeple. :smug:"?

Disease outbreaks are the most common example, but Y2K is probably the most well known. (With ozone depletion/the CFC ban as a dark horse. Climate denialists love to drop "Remember when the ozone layer was going to disappear?")

Theris has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Mar 5, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s like not helping the boy who cried wolf because he cried wolf month and didn’t get eaten. Nevermind that that’s because the village rallied to defend the boy and the wolf’s pelt is currently on display in city hall.

Acid rain is another instance that comes up frequently.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Theris posted:

Disease outbreaks are the most common example, but Y2K is probably the most well known.

Yeah. I entered the workforce as a programmer in the late 90s so I was there for the Y2K compliance testing and stuff. Sure enough the famous millennium bug was never going to cause a Mad Max-style collapse of civilization [1] but as anyone with an actual clue knows it would have been a hell of a lot more expensive and disruptive to not do anything in preparation and just clean up any messes afterwards.

[1] Even two decades later we're still years and years of more environmental degradation away from that; Rome wasn't burned in a day.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Guys, it's fine. Trump says it's fine and we should all keep going to work and there's nothing to worry about.

It's fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This isn't fine.

https://twitter.com/finicalgal/status/1235147497758052352

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

A virus is like a D&D random encounter list. Roll d100, results 1-35 gives you measles, 36-62 is whooping cough etc. :pseudo::rolldice:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think I or someone asks this every few months in this thread, but why do pie charts exist? Has anyone ever looked at a pie chart and said "yeah that's an accurate and cool representation of facts?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zedprime posted:

I think I or someone asks this every few months in this thread, but why do pie charts exist? Has anyone ever looked at a pie chart and said "yeah that's an accurate and cool representation of facts?"

If you're looking at portions of a whole that makes sense.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
They basically shouldn't exist. But they're fine when percent-of-total data are super clear anyway (still inferior to a bar chart but fine), maybe kind of aesthetically simpler and bolder looking for an advertisement or whatever if the labels are simple. Not sure about that but maybe.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pie charts are best for when you're more concerned with categories as fractions of the whole than their size relative to each other. It's easier to visualise "this segment is about a third", "this is about a fifth" etc with a pie chart than bars.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Nenonen posted:

A virus is like a D&D random encounter list. Roll d100, results 1-35 gives you measles, 36-62 is whooping cough etc. :pseudo::rolldice:

I'd also think that "coming into contact" means very different things for, say, SARS vs HIV.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yes,sure, we all went to middle school and learned pie charts show portions of a whole.

What business, social, or scientific concepts are we only concerned with portions of a whole? Out of those, which have distributions that make you really interested in comparing slice sizes in a way histograms are harder to make your point? That is no cheating and saying elections those pie charts are some of the most deceptively useless.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

Yes,sure, we all went to middle school and learned pie charts show portions of a whole.

What business, social, or scientific concepts are we only concerned with portions of a whole? Out of those, which have distributions that make you really interested in comparing slice sizes in a way histograms are harder to make your point? That is no cheating and saying elections those pie charts are some of the most deceptively useless.

There are some that are useful.

For example, here's a single image that shows both a proper time to use a pie chart and a bad execution of it.

The pie charts show total wealth in each of these three countries, by quintile: the US, where the top quintile has 84% of wealth; Sweden, where the top quintile has 36%; and a hypothetical country where everyone has exactly equal wealth.

It's a good time to use a pie chart to help people visually see the differences between these three scenarios and help them pick preferences, which was the point. The USA one and the hypothetical equality one are both good and visually clear. The Sweden one is a huge mess because for some bizarre reason the slices are all mixed up so they don't go in an order that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Pie charts are good for showing which percentage of pie charts that look like PacMan. It's around 75%.