Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Deuce posted:

Reload a save file.

If you're on Ironman, well, I'm not sure you really get ironman.

well i thought i'd saved it during play but apparently not. I didn't select ironman afaik though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Are reinforcements included in the shadow chamber enemy count?

This is very, very important. Either I have a sectopod left to fight on this mostly-B-team mission, or a sectopod and some buddies, and I'd rather know which it is.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
archons are a minimal threat, they're just annoyingly hard to kill

and they have really annoying animations when you shoot them

HHRRRAARRUGU D:<

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I've been burning and melting things with the flamethrower and acid grenades but someone just told me you don't get drops if you kill an alien with just those two types of attacks. Regular explosives is apparently okay. Am I not going to run short of Eleirum Cores if this is the case?

I've gotten the occasional message about drops being destroyed while killing things with explosives. I don't think I've seen it for acid or fire, but I don't use fire and open up with acid so there haven't been many opportunities.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jose posted:

is there a way to restart a mission because on the first mission once you have the base i accidentally wasted a turn trying out key binds and would prefer to restart that wait it out knowing i'm not going to reach the device in time

There are a couple of mods that add in a restart mission button, but apparently they cause your armour and passive skills to stop taking effect. But if it's that early on in the game, you might be able to give it a shot and not miss out on that much?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 13, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mimic beacons feel like cheating

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ZenVulgarity posted:

It feels like it would be more balanced if the rest of the enemies continued attacking normally after the sectopod walks up and one shots the mimic, instead of all running over to where it used to be and then shuffling around awkwardly like they don't know what to do.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

Are reinforcements included in the shadow chamber enemy count?

This is very, very important. Either I have a sectopod left to fight on this mostly-B-team mission, or a sectopod and some buddies, and I'd rather know which it is.

I am pretty sure that it does not include reinforcements.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

archons are a minimal threat, they're just annoyingly hard to kill

and they have really annoying animations when you shoot them

HHRRRAARRUGU D:<

They are slightly more annoying when they learn to shoot. I thought they could just melee or use pinions. I'm not sure if my first few missions with them I just got lucky, or they learn to shoot later in the campaign but yeah when they can actually shoot they aren't totally worthless. Just mostly worthless.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mimic beacons need to be beaten with the nerf bat hard.

Also there is a "Restart Mission" mod on the workshop.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Is there any mod or .ini file I can change to increase the character limit in names, or at least nicknames? It's kind of annoying to always be short 1 or 2 characters for nicknames like "Guns & Roses" or "Crazy Diamond" or really any other 2-word nicknames.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623154867

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yeah, I stopped using them for my second campaign.
Eventually I caved and built one because the geoscape was making GBS threads on me to the point where I could get almost nothing done besides rushing plot research (as much as you can rush research with one scientist and no lab) and reaching one of the two very distant facilities to not lose. June came and went and most of my people were still using convential weaponry; I actually ended up skipping most of the first upgrades altogether. So when I needed that facility taken out or that skulljack to happen in the next five days I just brought the Beacon.
But overall, yeah, Mimic Beacons are pretty insane. So are some of the late game enemies, though, so maybe I'll dust mine off eventually when I get to the point where maps have one Andromedon, Gatekeeper and Sectopod each or whatever.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 13, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just tripped five pods in two turns on a guerrilla misson. I've moved maybe 15 squares from the starting position. These pods included three andromedons, three archons, a gatekeeper, some loving reinforcements, a shitload of MECs, and a bunch of stun lancers.

I'm just starting at the screen right now marveling at how astonishingly hosed I am.

I'm not mad. I'm just really impressed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

I just tripped five pods in two turns on a guerrilla misson. I've moved maybe 15 squares from the starting position. These pods included three andromedons, three archons, a gatekeeper, some loving reinforcements, a shitload of MECs, and a bunch of stun lancers.

I'm just starting at the screen right now marveling at how astonishingly hosed I am.

Having this many enemies around just means your explosives will be that much more effective. Think of the "average damage done per turn" stat! :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Having this many enemies around just means your explosives will be that much more effective. Think of the "average damage done per turn" stat! :getin:

Thanks to Salvo and double-grenadiers, I did manage to kill the Gatekeeper and the Andromedon next to him with four plasma grenades in a row.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is it working as designed that Codexs can trigger even when you can't see them, or that they get LOS info from other units like squad sight? I triggered a gatekeeper and suddenly two codexs on the far side of the map highlighted and activated in the fog.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mimic beacons would be less op if they didnt take on the stats of your thrower and essentially unflank the enemy.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fintilgin posted:

Is it working as designed that Codexs can trigger even when you can't see them, or that they get LOS info from other units like squad sight? I triggered a gatekeeper and suddenly two codexs on the far side of the map highlighted and activated in the fog.

If they're a group yes, I've seen cases when one unit wanders off, and then if you trigger it his two friends come running

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo, we did it. Flawless. With a 100% successful shot percentage.

Thank you, plasma grenades. You're the real MVPs.

As a reward, they gave me a Colonel-level Grenadier, Shane "Bulldog" Payne.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 13, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Harrow posted:

Flawless.
:golfclap:

Did you just trigger every enemy on the map at once or what happened there?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Is there a known bug where grenading an enemy's cover causes a sharpshooter to lose squadsight?

It's happened to me a couple of times where my sharpshooter's had a low % shot via squadsight, so I tried lobbing a grenade to destroy the cover and improve the chances - boom, sharpshooter can't see them anymore.

I suppose it's all in the spirit of xcom, but in the few ~6 missions I've played the most dangerous thing by far has been arbitrary LOS bullshit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a choice between Soul Steal, Fuse, and Schism on my Psi Operative. Schism sounds nice--guaranteed damage and another source of Rupture--but Fuse could be hilarious. Thoughts?

Wizard Styles posted:

:golfclap:

Did you just trigger every enemy on the map at once or what happened there?

All but the first pod.

It was a "defend the object" mission. We spawned in, found the first pod on the first turn, and killed 'em with a Kill Zone ambush. Then, I figured it would be good to move to the objective. We cut through an alley instead of going around a big building. We triggered the pod hanging out on the roof of the building the objective was in, which was fine (two archons and an andromedon). Then a patrol came in on the same turn, an andromedon, a gatekeeper, a shieldbearer, and a heavy lancer. And then a reinforcements beacon went down. All on the same turn.

The turn after that, an andromedon and two sectoids wandered into the alley.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You should start the game with a tool like the mimic beacon, or just the mimic beacon, and then introduce enemies who are immune to them in the midgame.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DoctorTristan posted:

Is there a known bug where grenading an enemy's cover causes a sharpshooter to lose squadsight?

It's happened to me a couple of times where my sharpshooter's had a low % shot via squadsight, so I tried lobbing a grenade to destroy the cover and improve the chances - boom, sharpshooter can't see them anymore.

I suppose it's all in the spirit of xcom, but in the few ~6 missions I've played the most dangerous thing by far has been arbitrary LOS bullshit.

It's not really a "bug" as such, just a really bad edge case in how line-of-sight works.

Basically, when you're in cover you're also treated as "stepping out" into the adjacent squares for the purposes of line-of-sight. This allows you to see around cliff edges or other line-of-sight blocking cover, so you can actually shoot people while you're in it. The bad edge case is when you can see one of the step-out squares, but there's something blocking your sight line to the actual square the alien is in. You have a shot to begin with, then you blow up the cover, the alien stops stepping out, and suddenly no shot. It can also happen with Andromedons even if you don't destroy the cover, which is a bit of a more frequent occurrence and also really annoying.

I don't think there's a way to make sure that you'll have the shot after blowing the cover up, other than just manually inspecting to see if there are blocking obstacles that might interfere.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

When enemies stop seeing me through walls, floors, doors, and other solid objects, I'll agree. God drat what a frustrating way to lose an entire squad. The worst luck imaginable, as it tripped off too many pods at once. rip, ironman.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Right, I'm finally bloody done. I'm not an immortal ubermensch like Beagle, but I'm pleased with myself.

Time to mod the crap out of this and see how mental it can get!

Not trying Ironman until they sort out the crashes though, losing a game that long would've made me uninstall the thing, I think.

Bonus last mission footage:

All you really need for the last fight is a pair of giant balls.

vvv Ta!

e:

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Are people still saying sword rangers are bad because that was really dumb like 100 pages ago and I decided to skip forward into the future to when people are less stupid.

They're still awful, sorry. Try again in another 100 pages.

e2: Well, okay. They're great for the same reason that the prod in Worms is great.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 13, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Moogle posted:

Right, I'm finally bloody done. I'm not an immortal ubermensch like Beagle, but I'm pleased with myself.

Time to mod the crap out of this and see how mental it can get!

Not trying Ironman until they sort out the crashes though, losing a game that long would've made me uninstall the thing, I think.

Bonus last mission footage:

All you really need for the last fight is a pair of giant balls.

gently caress the last mission but good job

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Are people still saying sword rangers are bad because that was really dumb like 100 pages ago and I decided to skip forward into the future to when people are less stupid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Brendan Rodgers posted:

People have stopped saying it yeah

because there's no point in discussing something when you have unanimous consensus

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
:rolleyes:

People's opinions are stubborn and fixed on the internet.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
I sometimes use my sword rangers to execute alien infidels, because it looks cool.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sword isn't really bad, it's just that the shotgun is usually better because of the insane crit chance.

Edit: If Untouchable only triggered from sword kills, I think that would balance things out a tiny bit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Jesus loving christ. This mission where I have to destroy a thing in a house is a goddamn nightmare. Eight turn limit, civvies everywhere making moving around in concealment a pain, and at least three pods - one with an Archon, a taser guy and a shieldbearer, one with another Archon and two Vipers, and a Trooper/Captain duo. My sniper got tased into unconsciousness almost immediately, most of the cover got destroyed by the Archon's missile bullshit, and things just spiralled down the gurgler very quickly.

I managed to destroy the transmitter, though! That probably doesn't count unless I kill everyone afterwards, though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A) They can miss after you take a highly risky maneuver to put them in the alien's face. Meanwhile a Ranger's shotgun will likely have 100%+ chance to hit PLUS a rather high crit chance PLUS higher damage while often keeping your dude in cover from 4-5 tiles away.
B) The only upgrade to sword damage is the first skill that gives +2 damage. Engineering upgrades just add status effects.
C) The final sword upgrade is effectively a downgrade: Mediocre fire effect and +20 crit is not worth losing the stun-sword's capability to straight up remove 1-2 turns from anyone the Ranger's slash doesn't kill with its daze effect.

They are visually and thematically cool. They are not very well balanced and weak compared to the scouting and ganking ability of a Phantom Ranger. The sword is a useful ability to have when it comes to extending the Ranger's range, for when you have an rear end in a top hat behind high cover that your first move can't flank and Run'n'Gun isn't off cooldown. Building around the sword right now sounds cool on paper but ends up making a sub-par Ranger.

The Kins posted:

Jesus loving christ. This mission where I have to destroy a thing in a house is a goddamn nightmare. Eight turn limit, civvies everywhere making moving around in concealment a pain, and at least three pods - one with an Archon, a taser guy and a shieldbearer, one with another Archon and two Vipers, and a Trooper/Captain duo. My sniper got tased into unconsciousness almost immediately, most of the cover got destroyed by the Archon's missile bullshit, and things just spiralled down the gurgler very quickly.

I managed to destroy the transmitter, though! That probably doesn't count unless I kill everyone afterwards, though.

Actually it will. Despite what the end of mission screen says if you complete the objective and then bug out before killing everyone it still counters the Dark Event. It just also calls you a bad player who lost a battle while doing so. :v:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 13, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Both sides of the classes usually fill a niche that can't be done by others. Except Blade Rangers. Nothing Blade Rangers do isn't done better in their specific contribution by some other class. They're not bad in terms of being useless, but the worst of the class roles.

Tae fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's a good way to deal with vipers? They always seem to grab & squeeze someone or poison a couple of my braves. What's the maximum range on their freaky tongue or whatever they use to pull a poor soul over with?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Both sides of the classes usually fill a niche that can't be done by others. Except Rangers. Nothing Rangers do isn't done better in their specific contribution by some other class. They're not bad in terms of being useless, but the worst of the class roles.

I find shotguns are the best remove this rear end in a top hat from life class. Chain Shot is cool and good, but 3 turn cooldowns, Snipers are worse at dealing with high hp targets, Fan Fire is possibly the only other thing that's comparable but again, cooldown. Rapid Fire with 100% crit is delete enemy button with no cooldown.

e: :suicide:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 13, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Eimi posted:

I find shotguns are the best remove this rear end in a top hat from life class. Chain Shot is cool and good, but 3 turn cooldowns, Snipers are worse at dealing with high hp targets, Fan Fire is possibly the only other thing that's comparable but again, cooldown. Rapid Fire with 100% crit is delete enemy button with no cooldown.

I meant blade rangers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

I meant blade rangers.

Yeah saw your edit. I think their only true niche is dealing with melee assholes, they trivialize Chrysalids, but then again Battle Scanners and Scanning protocol do the same too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eimi posted:

Yeah saw your edit. I think their only true niche is dealing with melee assholes, they trivialize Chrysalids, but then again Battle Scanners and Scanning protocol do the same too.

Well, they would trivialize Chrysalids if their sword-overwatch ability didn't miss so often, and if they actually had enough damage behind their swings to one-shot Chrysalids when they did connect.