Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/_MichaelOswell_/status/1244629248628985865?s=19

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/elliot_gonzalez/status/1244664083640655873

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Kind of annoyed at all the reports of UCL developing brand new completely never-before-seen respirators in three and a half minutes, no red tape needed.

They reverse-engineered an existing device and figured out how to make it with their existing tech. Which is still really cool! But it feels like its being spun in kind of a jingoistic way.

I don't understand all the reports of some company designing a new ventilator or respirator, as though designing medical equipment on the fly is something you want to have happen. Clearly there are proven, well-tested and approved designs out there. Some government department must have those designs, because how could they be certified for medical use otherwise? Why don't we use those?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Haha gently caress me

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No underlying health conditions you say? :thunk:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

quote:

The government has announced a £75 airlift initiative to rescue tens of thousands of British nationals stranded abroad because of the coronavirus.

I know they're churning out thousands of words to keep the live blog updated, but this made me smile

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I don't understand all the reports of some company designing a new ventilator or respirator, as though designing medical equipment on the fly is something you want to have happen. Clearly there are proven, well-tested and approved designs out there. Some government department must have those designs, because how could they be certified for medical use otherwise? Why don't we use those?

Getting the parts might be a bit tricky just at the moment.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I thought that was the whole idea of getting manufacturers to change to producing them. I suppose it may not be possible to reproduce the parts domestically in some cases so maybe designs would need to be adapted for that reason, but it seems like every news story is "company X designs their own ventilator from scratch in three days". That seems bizarre versus having a single, well thought out emergency design aimed at being as reproducable as possible in varied manufacturing facilities.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 30, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wonder if the Italian guy who was 3D printing replacement ventilator components that saved dozens of lives is still getting sued for it by the ventilator company lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If the fact that we're tracking alongside France doesn't spur the British public into action nothing will. Reignite the rivalry.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sassassin posted:

If the fact that we're tracking alongside France doesn't spur the British public into action nothing will. Reignite the rivalry.

The English, dear! It’s not called the Auld Alliance for nowt.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

feedmegin posted:

Getting the parts might be a bit tricky just at the moment.

Get the suddenly unsupervised printer repair goon to harvest the south coasts fleet of printers for makeshift ventilator parts. Like how I personally had to donate all my spoons and stuff to make spitfires.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Get the suddenly unsupervised printer repair goon to harvest the south coasts fleet of printers for makeshift ventilator parts. Like how I personally had to donate all my spoons and stuff to make spitfires.

As if I want to go and actually leave my house right now

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Answers Me posted:

Dominic Raab is a terrible orator isn't he. Sounds like an undergrad winging a presentation. Most likely because, despite the expensive education, he's actually thick as poo poo.

The main part of the expense in an expensive education is the bribes to get stupid people past the exams.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Kind of annoyed at all the reports of UCL developing brand new completely never-before-seen respirators in three and a half minutes, no red tape needed.

They reverse-engineered an existing device and figured out how to make it with their existing tech. Which is still really cool! But it feels like its being spun in kind of a jingoistic way.

I think you’re right, it reminds me of all those stupid articles which say chocolate / red wine etc can cause/cure cancer depending on the day of the week, but this time reality is going to hit pretty hard

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I thought that was the whole idea of getting manufacturers to change to producing them. I suppose it may not be possible to reproduce the parts domestically in some cases so maybe designs would need to be adapted for that reason, but it seems like every news story is "company X designs their own ventilator from scratch in three days". That seems bizarre versus having a single, well thought out emergency design aimed at being as reproducable as possible in varied manufacturing facilities.

AIUI ventilators are mechanically extremely simple (both because they're doing a relatively simple job and because with lifesaving equipment you really don't want a single bit more complexity than absolutely needed for reliability reasons), so any half-competent manufacturing concern should be able to retool and punt them out pretty quickly at an acceptable level (and by acceptable I mean "Probably won't have a 10-year MTBF but can be swapped out really quickly when needed").

I'm not sure if the ventilators used in ICU do anything more than the bare minimum required for life support specifically in COVID cases so there might be a case to be made for deleting some features and components to aid this, but the ones that are being produced are apparently copies of standard ones already in use all over the NHS. That's also why I was so suspicious of the Dyson (and Gtech for that matter) claims of having built whole new ones, because not only would they need testing and certification, surely the one thing you don't want when you're already cutting safe staffing levels to the bone is to dump a completely new machine requiring additional training (and experience in maintaining/working round) into the mix too.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Its nice to see CCP taking some responsibility for the virus on a global scale, its about as close to a sorry as we will get.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Fumble posted:

Its nice to see CCP taking some responsibility for the virus on a global scale, its about as close to a sorry as we will get.

Shut the gently caress up pal, China has put the world to shame with their response to this and this reactionary backlash against them after our own fuckups is genuinely disgusting.

E: some tenuous good news?

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1244680237826412547?s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Fumble posted:

what

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

AIUI ventilators are mechanically extremely simple (both because they're doing a relatively simple job and because with lifesaving equipment you really don't want a single bit more complexity than absolutely needed for reliability reasons), so any half-competent manufacturing concern should be able to retool and punt them out pretty quickly at an acceptable level (and by acceptable I mean "Probably won't have a 10-year MTBF but can be swapped out really quickly when needed").

I'm not sure if the ventilators used in ICU do anything more than the bare minimum required for life support specifically in COVID cases so there might be a case to be made for deleting some features and components to aid this, but the ones that are being produced are apparently copies of standard ones already in use all over the NHS. That's also why I was so suspicious of the Dyson (and Gtech for that matter) claims of having built whole new ones, because not only would they need testing and certification, surely the one thing you don't want when you're already cutting safe staffing levels to the bone is to dump a completely new machine requiring additional training (and experience in maintaining/working round) into the mix too.

Yeah exactly. I'm going to assume it's just bad reporting because it really doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Fumble posted:

Yes, because China directly developed this virus as a way to kill off the Occident!

Which, frankly, would make me inclined to like them more if it was true.

But it isn't.

Also, you're thick.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The models being mass produced for COVID-19 are a lot more basic
https://www.penlon.com/Product-Groups/Anaesthesia-Ventilators/Nuffield-200-Ventilator

than a fully specified ventilator (same company but this is for anaesthesia)
https://www.penlon.com/Product-Groups/Anaesthesia-Ventilators/AV-S-for-use-with-Prima-450-and-Prima-460

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For COVID ICU patients with severe pneumonia the ventilators have to operate at very near the physiological limits of our lungs wrt oxygenation/pressure.

The challenge for manufacturers isn't "can we build a ventilator quickly", it's "can we build a ventilator quickly that behaves within the same precise safety specifications of existing models". A new-design ventilator that accidentally ruptures the lungs of 1/100 patients is a non-starter.

Yeah exactly. I'm going to assume it's just bad reporting because it really doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

It's churnalism. Home-bound journos still need to make their copy quotas, and universities like UCL have entire PR departments with nothing else to do at the moment. It is leading to some truly atrocious research papers and manufacturing "developments" getting reported front-page online.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ventilator equivalent of that metal lump that stops the track pins falling out of a T34 by repeatedly whacking them back in each time the track goes round.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/SixthTone/status/1244519862703177733

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Because it's the 21st century and we're all addicted to progress. Why would I want a ventilator that focuses on things like 'peak pressure' when Elon Musk can design a box that calls me a nonce when I stop breathing?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A box that calls people a nonce once they stop breathing seems like it could see a lot of use given British libel laws and British celebrities and politicians.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

A box that calls people a nonce once they stop breathing seems like it could see a lot of use given British libel laws and British celebrities and politicians.

Lol

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I don't get this drip feed of information from these 5pm briefings. Firstly, they shouldn't be so late in the day. And one more thing, does it take them all day to decide to spend money to save people? And the whole thing is dry as owt, I need stats, facts, data, charts, it's 2020 not 1918.

I mean I understand why, but come on.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

justcola posted:

I don't get this drip feed of information from these 5pm briefings. Firstly, they shouldn't be so late in the day. And one more thing, does it take them all day to decide to spend money to save people? And the whole thing is dry as owt, I need stats, facts, data, charts, it's 2020 not 1918.

The daily pressers are absolutely not worth it and you shouldn't bother with it. Read a single recap tweet after and you'll catch up with whatever they pretended to announce that day.

e: forgot a crucial boolean operator

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 30, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

justcola posted:

Don't forget they are addressing the whole nation: average reading age 12, ability to understand percentages small, and comprehension of a graph, minute. I'm not being an intellectual snob here, this is reality.

I learned as manager of a department reporting information to senior board members of a national organisation that (a) a lot of senior management staff cannot understand a graph, and (b) there is no way they are going to admit it.

I ended up telling my analysts that they were not to release a graph into the wilds outside our department without putting 3 clear bullet points on that graph as to why it was interesting. "But it's obvious" my analysts would say to me, "to you, yes, to most other people, no."

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

justcola posted:

Look, Boris is far too hungover every morning to be getting anything done before 3pm, much less appearing on live TV.

I'm one to talk, but then I'm not the head of government.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This sent my mind on a tangent wondering whether Limmy's "charity-do" tweets are coded messages about nonceing. I guess this is what QAnon brain must be like.

Also if Limmy dies of the Big C(orona) , who's going to do the tweet for him :ohdear:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the enforced adversarial relationship between the west and china is bizzare.
its not even a "brutal own", its them being nice lol. its cute.

the chinese state sucks, but seriously? "omg they covered up the crisis and hosed it up?" we are in the midst of loving doing that but with a 2 month warning they never got.
the chinese medical response has been pretty heroic imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
^^^ I didn't understand what they had done that was so cheeky either?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I ended up telling my analysts that they were not to release a graph into the wilds outside our department without putting 3 clear bullet points on that graph as to why it was interesting. "But it's obvious" my analysts would say to me, "to you, yes, to most other people, no."

Sounds like your graphs were boring.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 30, 2020

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The daily press conferences are PR to make the government appear engaged and active when the strategy and policy is utterly lacking.

The best hope is that these turn into high pressure situations as the death toll mounts and the press actually does its job and challenges the government properly about why X and Y are failing or weren't done sooner, but I suspect they'll continue to act as the PR front for the government instead and if not then the politicians stop coming to them, just leaving the expendable health leadership, or are cancelled entirely.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

They're at 5pm to make the 6 o'clock news and, probably more importantly, so they're safely after the stock exchange closes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

^^^ I didn't understand what they had done that was so cheeky either?

Sounds like your graphs were boring.

Very probably. Lots of KPIs. (And within the limits of excel as it was 15-20 years ago!)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

having a big old think about the people's republic. growing on me every day tbh. need to think about deng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Do you ever notice, when you watch TV from the Before Times, how crazily close together everyone stands?