Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

tokin opposition posted:

Got a linked in recruiter email.... $11-$17 more an hour but it's in person help desk and for executives. Think I'll set up an interview but honestly I'm comfortable just sticking here until I start getting system admin or cloud offers.

For executives sounds like a nightmare but there's never harm in a practice interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Shugojin posted:

For executives sounds like a nightmare but there's never harm in a practice interview

C-suite is one of those double edged blades.

You could end up with a ballin’ rear end made up title where you get paid

OR

You could be in 24/7 on call “help my email isn’t opening on my phone, what do you mean you’re not up, it’s 7am in Jakarta” hell

I’ve seen both

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For sure, take that practice interview.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Take the job and start a career in blackmail.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I wouldn’t hold my breath for cloud or sysadmin jobs ten months into my help desk career, personally

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tehinternet posted:

You could be in 24/7 on call “help my email isn’t opening on my phone, what do you mean you’re not up, it’s 7am in Jakarta” hell

I’ve seen both

Funny enough I got teams message from the CO-CEO saying “I travelled to the other side of the country and I didn’t bring my laptop but now I need outlook and excel” right at 5pm. I already left for the day for an appointment and instead of just saying “use office.com” my CTO is trying to help them get logged into a PC and office installed.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

i am a moron posted:

I wouldn’t hold my breath for cloud or sysadmin jobs ten months into my help desk career, personally

15 months and I'm literally doing sysadmin work every day

Anyway so far TeamViewer is slow, poorly documented, has tried to upsell me repeatedly and displays ads when I tried to use it. The host was 66 mb which is ridiculous

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 6, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

For a $30k pay increase I’d at least hear them out and see how much of a poo poo show it really is and find out much say you’ll have.

Working with executives isn’t that bad unless the environment is horribly set up and you aren’t allowed to fix anything.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Oh my apologies greypubes, truly your long work history at a *checks notes* really dysfunctional nonprofit with no one to learn from is going to blow people away.

always take the money

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*checks notes*

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

You can’t do that, I just did that. Put your notes away

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I don’t care what I do just pay me a lot to do. I am so underpaid at this job and am well past “golly gee finally got my foot in the IT world”

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The Fool posted:

they sent out a pre-meeting survey, this is psychopath poo poo

Lol I'd seriously be wondering where I went wrong if I got one of those.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I don’t care what I do just pay me a lot to do. I am so underpaid at this job and am well past “golly gee finally got my foot in the IT world”

Yeah I have opinions on powershell commandlets at this point I'm no longer a newbie despite moron's rudeness, more money please

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Take the money

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Just take the money. Can a cloud hold you at night? Can the system you so love to administer. No. But with money you can pay someone to do it.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Like, I would get it if you were in the position I'm in, where I'm kinda underpaid for the work that I do, but my team is great and my boss treats me like a human being with a life outside of work, values my contributions, etc, so the idea of jumping ship for a paycheck to a place with almost assuredly worse support around me is scary. But all you post about is how much of a gigantic dumbass your boss is. Go for it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah I have opinions on powershell commandlets at this point I'm no longer a newbie despite moron's rudeness, more money please

You are in fact hugely a newbie and nothing I’m saying is untrue or rude. It’s great to be in a rush to advance but there a ton of intermediate steps between where you’re at to where you’re wanting to go. In the meantime I would take the money.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have done executive computer janitoring. It is generally not technically demanding at all, you will do a lot of very simple stuff, but you will also rub shoulders with senior leadership who will know your name, and like you, if you do a good job, which is rarely a bad thing. It also often pays decently and you get to interact with a wide variety of stuff, though usually not in depth, and helps develop soft skills and an appreciation for the big picture.

Cyks posted:

I somehow convinced my boss to order a netally linkrunner g2. it’s now the single most expensive piece of equipment my department owns.
Before I was testing using a $30 tool I bought myself at Home Depot.

Linkrunners are awesome. Depending on your needs, you could also look at the Linksprinter, which is a tiny little device with no screen that you can plug in and power by PoE (you can also use batteries, I have never put batteries in mine). If all you need is to confirm it got out, you can watch the blinking lights, but it will also email you a report similar to the Linkrunner's, assuming it can get out. (If not, it will email them when it can.) I think it can also broadcast a little local wireless network if you need to see what it knows right now. The main advantages of a Linksprinter over a Linkrunner are the size and the cost, they're small and... well, not cheap, but cheaper. LRs are great, though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

guppy posted:

It is generally not technically demanding at all

That's a real odd way to spell "how fast can you build this website?"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I double checked the job address and it would be two hours each way by bus so lol false alarm everyone (it's in Renton but I thought it said Redmond for Seattle fans)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i am a moron posted:

What would you look for exactly assuming one has managed to cut their teeth on a helpdesk for a year?

I did but helpdesk but it can be a bit nebulous. I was technically on the SharePoint helpdesk picking up calls like "What's a document library? :downs" but eventually got into things like reproducing and escalating bugs to developers, managing CritSits and occasionally writing a script or some such thing. From that, I managed to bounce working for telecoms as a unix application admin and so on.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I would be looking at jobs that paid more wondering why I’m not making that much. If I wanted to get into cloud or automation stuff or anything else I’d be looking for new grad programs and skipping helpdesk entirely.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm being forced to do internal focus groups for some loving consultant group, never mind get me the gently caress outta here

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i am a moron posted:

I would be looking at jobs that paid more wondering why I’m not making that much. If I wanted to get into cloud or automation stuff or anything else I’d be looking for new grad programs and skipping helpdesk entirely.

With all respect due to my IT-sempai, credentalism and going to college hasn't worked out for me in the past and given that I'm already doing the work of automation (more out of incompetence by the people who would be doing it themselves) I'm not going to spend another 20k of never dischargeable debt.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

That’s fair. I’m certainly not suggesting anyone go into debt, the government paid for mine but I wouldn’t have paid a cent (and I don’t recommend enlisting either). New grad programs are extremely slick entry points to the field though, and the loving turds I’ve had to mentor lately piss me off because they’re making 90k a year and it took me ages and a ton of effort to get there.

That being said - the places you work can make a difference too. If some imaginary job is lateral but pays more and isn’t a nonprofit it makes a huge difference. Lots of hiring managers are dicks about where people have done work, sometimes for good reasons and sometimes for really unimaginably stupid reasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don’t be one of those folks that poo poo on others because you had it hard though.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Would be a bad mentor if I did. The companies I work for are purposely farming young/diverse students because they work for less than half of our experienced consultants and if you wind up getting some gold it’s a good bargain for the company. Running people off might get you fired they value it so much.

I also don’t hear it mentioned as a way into the industry in these threads much, but I also seem to be in a bit of a niche so :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Would be a bad mentor if I did. The companies I work for are purposely farming young/diverse students because they work for less than half of our experienced consultants and if you wind up getting some gold it’s a good bargain for the company. Running people off might get you fired they value it so much.

I also don’t hear it mentioned as a way into the industry in these threads much, but I also seem to be in a bit of a niche so :shrug:

We do this and we call it the "Accelerator Program"

We actually invest a bunch of time and money into the junior engineers that are participating in the program. They're all fresh grads, and we do a bunch of stuff to help them get familiar with the company and the industry. I do a bi-annual presentation on "intro to iac" for these groups as well. The quality of the candidates is kinda hit or miss though, but the one we have on our team right now is very sharp and I'm hoping she stays.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Don’t be one of those folks that poo poo on others because you had it hard though.

Yeah, this is kind of my takeaway from the conversation.

tokin, if your current place is stopping you from learning, jump ship. If that's a lateral move, that's okay. I've made a lateral move or two in my career and it was helpful because it got me on the path to bigger and better things. And don't let the experience or credentials stuff get to you. For sure, it's a different industry now, but at 15 months experience I was age 21 and both managing a team of 5 and an environment with 400 users. The lateral moves were not pay bumps, but over, we'll call it 20 years, my pay has increased almost 10x.

Do what you feel is right. Try to always put yourself in a position where if and when a door opens, even if it's not the one you were expecting, you are healthy and ready to jump through.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Supremely lucky in my case because I'm coming up on six months in my first IT gig and my boss is already like "Wanna get your CCNA? Cause there's a network engineer position I need to reopen and fill in the next few months. We'll cover the cost of labs and other materials if need be, ditto the exam fee." Which is a breath of fresh air whereas my last job/industry was very much "CE? lol, no we will not pay for anything but a MLS degree. Also, you're not allowed to use downtime to study or learn stuff."

Like it's not all roses (still in office 4 days a week, just got my first WFH day this month, some end users suck complete rear end) but honestly, I got supremely lucky that my first gig wasn't a burnout factory and my coworkers are all easy to work with. :)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I got 4 months to cross the year mark and then it’s off to convince some recruiters that actually there’s a lot of similarities between point-of-sale app’s and Active Directory if you think about it

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I’m half tempted to do another degree at WGU because it’d be paid for thanks to my partial post 9/11 rating and it’d kick my student loan repayment can down the road another 18 months.

I already have a BA and an MBA and I don’t see myself using the benefits otherwise.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I'm actually considering getting the networking and security degree from WGU since I apparently have it mostly completed and I'm already considering going for my CCNA which is part of it.

Also we're at week 9 and finally settled in with our division. I've now the main document person for my shift, right now I'm combing through issue docs to make a troubleshooting guide for the heavy duty FPGA servers.

Last week some engineers dropped off a handful of servers that are apparently not in production for sale and they're twice the size of the Deltas. We have to use a small lift to get them into the rack.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

teamviewer sucks rear end and if anyone tries to make you use it throw poo poo at them until they gently caress off

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tokin opposition posted:

teamviewer sucks rear end and if anyone tries to make you use it throw poo poo at them until they gently caress off

I've seen purchasing contracts from instrument vendors that specify that their support uses Teamviewer.

They don't get the always-on stuff though.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Good thing I didn’t try to make a move over to Slalom, 7% workforce reduction and proof their entire ethos is just bullshit lol

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I think I might have said it before, but if any of you all have companies looking for new revenue cycle software, for the love of god do not even consider Athena IDX.

Incompetent staff that love to hear their own voice
Best practices from 1997
"Private cloud" just means that they host the program on their trash servers that require VPN to access
If I wrote out all of their inane non-sensical bullshit it would legit sound like I was making it up or embellishing it, they loving suck, avoid at all costs.

I would honest to god rather deal with Citrix bullshit than their late 90's garbage

it's so bad

so bad

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I need some help.

I have two collections of PDF files: one is 171GB and 11,400 files, the other is 660GB and 50,000 files.

I would like to merge the collections into a single one and eliminate the duplicates.

The issue is that both collections have "reorganized" the contents so the directory tree isn't the same. In addition, each collection has copy/paste problems so there might be duplicates within themselves. To muddy the waters still further, ther might be multiples in each collection but are named slightly different, with slightly different file sizes. So "[publisher][id] - filename.pdf" might be a 7k byte file and "filename.publisher.id" might be 6k but both will have the same content and differ only in scan resolution/OCR/optimization.

What I am imagining is some way to create a spreadsheet of each collection somehow and then do a LIKE funtion somehow to find and list similarly named files from both collections. Even cooler would be to identify the similar files and group them together so we can then pick the one we want and discard the rest.

I'm thinking maybe use robocopy or some other utility to create a massive file list of each collection and combine them to sort by name, but that doesn't solve the "kinda identical name" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Why the hell doesn’t our Jamf enrollment portal load in Safari.