Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Can someone link back the comic that this comic is referencing?

Dorkon is a beared dwarf priest. His opposite would be a clean shaven, half giant, agnostic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MikeJF posted:

Can someone link back the comic that this comic is referencing?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0783.html

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I sure hope Rich is alright?

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Colonial Air Force posted:

I sure hope Rich is alright?

Begin the ritual of concern!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's creepy how well that works...

:nyan: New comic! : http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0808.html :nyan:

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Nipponophile posted:

:nyan: New comic! : http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0808.html :nyan:

Can you link for us who are behind an oppressive sonicwall?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TampaTango posted:

Can you link for us who are behind an oppressive sonicwall?

Not sure what you mean, but here is the comic itself.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/zUobOoLlnhiezduOEEg.gif

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is it so wrong that I want a one-off comic with Roy's kid kicking asses as a 4e warlord?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ha ha ha! Now THAT was awesome and worth the wait. (I guess drawing all those debris chunks takes time.)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I hope Thog is dead.

Roy is also an expert on aqueducts so Xykon better watch out for those.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Roy is the kind of melee character I aspire to play in PnP.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hypocrisy posted:

I hope Thog is dead.

Roy is also an expert on aqueducts so Xykon better watch out for those.

I saw no Xes in his eyes.

Also, this is a strip/game where people can come back to life.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Roy's basically a roman general at this point. He knows architecture. He could probably lead a siege if he had too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

I take full credit for discovering the phenomenon.

Roy is a great character even if he does hate puppies.

Edit: 4 pages, christ. No wonder it took so long.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 4, 2011

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Fighting Trousers posted:

Roy is the kind of melee character I aspire to play in PnP.

I can't help but feel that Roy was burned by the DM in an earlier campaign for not having the right knowledge skills to understand "taking out supports makes the roof fall".

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Hypocrisy posted:

I hope Thog is dead.

But... Thog elegant in Thog's simplicity :smith:

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
I didn't notice that Thog changed color to a darker green before when he was raging. Interesting.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gay Polymers posted:

I didn't notice that Thog changed color to a darker green before when he was raging. Interesting.

Don't forget about the purple pants.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

I can't help but feel that Roy was burned by the DM in an earlier campaign for not having the right knowledge skills to understand "taking out supports makes the roof fall".

I think it's an acute case of "DM-doesn't-keep-track-of-player-skills-itis."

It's awkward when you know a player is cheating in a game that doesn't have a winner or loser.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

terminal mehmet posted:

Don't forget about the purple pants.

Hah, totally missed that. Fantastic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Aren't Barbarians pretty useless post-rage?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I wouldn't call them useless, but they do turn into fighters with a few more hit points, a lot less feats, and a slightly inconvenient penalty to STR and DEX.

Of course, it's a total non-issue because fights in 3e tend not to last very long anyway.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pope Guilty posted:

Aren't Barbarians pretty useless post-rage?

If your target isn't dead when you finish raging, there was little you could have done anyway.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

That was awesome! I love Roy.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
So...are we supposed to wonder about the guy sitting 5 rows down, 3 columns over in the sixth panel? :raise:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Break DC for masonry: DC 35. That's assuming it's not reinforced masonry, which is 45. It's possible the pillars were shattered by raw damage, but unlikely--a pillar has 90 HP and a hardness of 8, so Thog would have to be doing 100 points of damage with those shoulder thrusts.

What I'm saying is Thog has a strength of 50 or 60 while raging.

:goonsay:

Take away lesson: Just play a cleric, Roy.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Break DC for masonry: DC 35. That's assuming it's not reinforced masonry, which is 45. It's possible the pillars were shattered by raw damage, but unlikely--a pillar has 90 HP and a hardness of 8, so Thog would have to be doing 100 points of damage with those shoulder thrusts.

What I'm saying is Thog has a strength of 50 or 60 while raging.

:goonsay:

Take away lesson: Just play a cleric, Roy.

You forgot to account for weaker materials due to it being built by the lowest bidder and use of slave labor.

Also, the slave drivers were on strike recently. If it's a new arena, even the supervision was worse than normal.

You can rationalize anything, if your INT score is high enough.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I think it's an acute case of "DM-doesn't-keep-track-of-player-skills-itis."

It's awkward when you know a player is cheating in a game that doesn't have a winner or loser.

Fighter: Can I knock down a pillar to cave the roof in?

DM: No ranks in Knowledge Architecture? I think not cheater! Also, I tried to kick a pillar down once and couldn't do it. Therefore it is impossible you are a double cheater!

Wizard: Can I cast disintegrate to bring the roof down?

DM: Of course. Verisimilitude demands it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That is depressingly reflective of most D&D games I've played.

More on topic: There's no way that Thog is dead. At their level (somewhere in the range of 12 to 15), falling objects do insignificant amounts of damage. In game terms, Thog's real problem is somehow digging himself out.

EDIT: And since I never miss a chance to plug Iron Heroes, I should mention how awesome it is that there's a class feature specifically for using terrain to disable enemies.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 5, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

Fighter: Can I knock down a pillar to cave the roof in?

DM: No ranks in Knowledge Architecture? I think not cheater! Also, I tried to kick a pillar down once and couldn't do it. Therefore it is impossible you are a double cheater!

Wizard: Can I cast disintegrate to bring the roof down?

DM: Of course. Verisimilitude demands it.

Part of the background of the people who play the game. Big dumb fighter equivalent beat you up, clever wizard equivalent stands before you in pasty, cheeto stained splendor.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

inthesto posted:

More on topic: There's no way that Thog is dead. At their level (somewhere in the range of 12 to 15), falling objects do insignificant amounts of damage. In game terms, Thog's real problem is somehow digging himself out.

Can't he suffocate or something, though? My only D&D experience are the IE games :shobon:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Erakko posted:

Can't he suffocate or something, though? My only D&D experience are the IE games :shobon:

Considering what his con score and level must be?

He has at least five hours if he has no access to air at all which is fairly unlikely.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It depends on the DM though, some will keep it reasonable and deviate from the core rules. For instance, if I DMed (I hate DMing) I would never let a guy live after more than a few minutes without air. Granted, I would let them know ahead of time that I'm not giving them as much time as their con would dictate.

This comic is largely about pointing to the absurdity of D&D rules, though, so I would expect Rich to stick to the rules as written.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I would expect Rich to stick to the rules as written.

The titanium elementals would beg to differ with this statement.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I've had a character die from being crushed beneath a fallen temple before, though technically he had just suffered damage from the falling pillars and had failed his final death saving through before his buds could dig him out.

But holy poo poo he came back with a vengeance during the next fight. You can't keep a Dragonborn Warlord down.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

I've had a character die from being crushed beneath a fallen temple before, though technically he had just suffered damage from the falling pillars and had failed his final death saving through before his buds could dig him out.

But holy poo poo he came back with a vengeance during the next fight. You can't keep a Dragonborn Warlord down.

That is because both Dragonborn and Warlords loving own!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I don't imagine Thog's brain uses quite as much oxygen as most would.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It was painful watching Thog beat the crap out of Roy, but that was one sweet coup de grace.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Why did Thog's rage end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tinyn posted:

Why did Thog's rage end?

Rage lasts 3+Con mod rounds. It just ran out.

I find it amusing that these days I use d20srd.org exclusively to check on Order of the Stick mechanics.