Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

oh that’s loving sick, I was picturing more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

My dad used to dual box in Everquest while I played on my own machine between 6th and 8th grade, and the triple CRT set up's footprint was a major irritant to my mom in our modest apartment. Coulda been worse, Mom!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I 100% think that one 21:9 2560x1080 monitor is better than 2 16:9 1920x1080 monitors, despite the fact that the former has less horizontal pixels than the latter. Its not very intuitive and I doubted it would be better until I used one. The lack of a bezel right in the middle just makes the smaller area way more usable.

I will admit though its nice to have a monitor off to the side for utility reasons. This is my work setup, the little monitor off to the side (its a laptop) just plays videos or has documentation:

I have an identical monitor elsewhere in the house for my desktop pc for gaming and I miss a smaller offset a little bit but I only use that for gaming so whatevers. I do have a hacked up small laptop monitor I could use but the missus uses it all day for work so its not really my desk.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

that unfinished drywall and glass mannequin head are giving me weird vibes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thirst Mutilator posted:

My dad used to dual box in Everquest while I played on my own machine between 6th and 8th grade, and the triple CRT set up's footprint was a major irritant to my mom in our modest apartment. Coulda been worse, Mom!

This was the worst thing about LANning in the CRT era.
Firstly you had to carry those suckas up however many flights of stairs.
Secondly fat chance ever getting two people on one table back to back.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

~Coxy posted:

This was the worst thing about LANning in the CRT era.
Firstly you had to carry those suckas up however many flights of stairs.
Secondly fat chance ever getting two people on one table back to back.

My LAN party host friend lived on base housing and whenever we would LAN it was nuts how the people would squeeze in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

The Littlest St. James

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

klen dool posted:

I 100% think that one 21:9 2560x1080 monitor is better than 2 16:9 1920x1080 monitors, despite the fact that the former has less horizontal pixels than the latter. Its not very intuitive and I doubted it would be better until I used one. The lack of a bezel right in the middle just makes the smaller area way more usable.

I will admit though its nice to have a monitor off to the side for utility reasons. This is my work setup, the little monitor off to the side (its a laptop) just plays videos or has documentation:

I have an identical monitor elsewhere in the house for my desktop pc for gaming and I miss a smaller offset a little bit but I only use that for gaming so whatevers. I do have a hacked up small laptop monitor I could use but the missus uses it all day for work so its not really my desk.

Which model LG is that?

Also, is the bottom of the glass head closed? Could you fill it with milk and drill a hole for a straw somewhere?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
killer bong base structure

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I can feel the back pain from setting this up.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

frogbs posted:

Which model LG is that?

Also, is the bottom of the glass head closed? Could you fill it with milk and drill a hole for a straw somewhere?

LG 34WL500-B 34" 21:9 - it's the cheapest 21:9 that's not teeny tiny. It's very bare bones, it doesn't swap inputs automatically, it only has 2 HDMI in, it does have a headphone for audio over HDMI which is handy though.

Haha no the head isn't closed at the bottom

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, we are doing renos at the mo and this area won't be even started for months....

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

small update, added a 3rd monitor (1080p 240hz IPS Alienware) and moved my 32" 4K monitor off to the side for work stuff.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

klen dool posted:

LG 34WL500-B 34" 21:9 - it's the cheapest 21:9 that's not teeny tiny. It's very bare bones, it doesn't swap inputs automatically, it only has 2 HDMI in, it does have a headphone for audio over HDMI which is handy though.

Haha no the head isn't closed at the bottom

Thank you! How do you like using that vs a 24/27” 4K monitor, if you’ve used one before?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Photex posted:

small update, added a 3rd monitor (1080p 240hz IPS Alienware) and moved my 32" 4K monitor off to the side for work stuff.

That is a beautiful setup.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
The room is only 9x9 so trying to get a picture of the entire desk is a pain, but we swapped my basement office for my son's upstairs bedroom, so he can be a basement dwelling teenage troll with his own half bath so he stops griming up ours, and I get carpet and a window.

I still need to cut facing for the floating shelf above the monitors, but it's otherwise done. 1-1/2" thick butcher block countertop on 1" black pipe H legs. Put an L bracket on the left side and two across the back to anchor it into wall studs, and have a cheapo 11" cube storage shelf underneath for bins of hobby stuff and books on top. Two monitors on the left are work and are on a barebones Monoprice two-monitor arm post. Two monitors on the right are on Fully Jarvis monitor arms and drat are they nice. They come out farther than the front edge of the desk and have almost no wobble. Wife got me a couple drafting stool chairs if I never need to sit, but for the most part I stand all day.

Also have a Saris Fluid2 trainer stored along the back wall, and I'll bring my Trek in here and spend meetings on the bike. It's nice.

Typical use of drafting chairs:

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 2, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How deep is your desk? I'm trying to decide if 25" versus 30" is that big of a difference...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

The room is only 9x9 so trying to get a picture of the entire desk is a pain, but we swapped my basement office for my son's upstairs bedroom, so he can be a basement dwelling teenage troll with his own half bath so he stops griming up ours, and I get carpet and a window.

I still need to cut facing for the floating shelf above the monitors, but it's otherwise done. 1-1/2" thick butcher block countertop on 1" black pipe H legs. Put an L bracket on the left side and two across the back to anchor it into wall studs, and have a cheapo 11" cube storage shelf underneath for bins of hobby stuff and books on top. Two monitors on the left are work and are on a barebones Monoprice two-monitor arm post. Two monitors on the right are on Fully Jarvis monitor arms and drat are they nice. They come out farther than the front edge of the desk and have almost no wobble. Wife got me a couple drafting stool chairs if I never need to sit, but for the most part I stand all day.

Also have a Saris Fluid2 trainer stored along the back wall, and I'll bring my Trek in here and spend meetings on the bike. It's nice.

Typical use of drafting chairs:

is it the same son holding the Battlestar DVD in your Av? :3:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Johnny Truant posted:

How deep is your desk? I'm trying to decide if 25" versus 30" is that big of a difference...

25", but I have it 3" from the wall for ease of installing the arms and running cables. I can't touch the back wall without leaning forward if I put my stomach against the front edge of the desk, so I'd think that 30" would be overkill. I do Lego builds (duh) and other hobby poo poo on here, and I just put the monitors all the way back, roll up the mouspads and move the keyboards, and it's plenty of space. YMMV.

Ok Comboomer posted:

is it the same son holding the Battlestar DVD in your Av? :3:

Yep. He was a lot less of a pain in my rear end back then, lol.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 2, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

25", but I have it 3" from the wall for ease of installing the arms and running cables. I can't touch the back wall without leaning forward if I put my stomach against the front edge of the desk, so I'd think that 30" would be overkill. I do Lego builds (duh) and other hobby poo poo on here, and I just put the monitors all the way back, roll up the mouspads and move the keyboards, and it's plenty of space. YMMV.

gently caress yeah, thank you. I'm planning on getting a monitor mount anyway so you just saved me like $40 and having to order the butcher block instead of just being able to pick it up!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought an electric desk for 400€. Reused my old table.

I should have done this earlier. 4 memory positions and a height display in cm.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Johnny Truant posted:

I went from 24 to 30 deep desk and it's a loving MASSIVE difference. My 24" monitors that always seemed a good size now seem like they are really small because they sit 6' farther back. I'm not sure if I would still get the 30' desk again given the choice. I don't mind it but I think 24 would've been fine.

I went from a 48"x24" "regular" desk to a 63"x30" sit / stand desk from ikea

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My wife is mostly not work-from-home now, so I was able to take the cubby that we had been using as a booster for her standing desk and install it vertically in my computer space. This is pretty much the vision I had for it from the start, so I'm happy with it.

I do need to find out more about addressable RGB lighting. My case has a basic Corsair ARGB controller, but I think I need something generally more compatible. I have a temporary light strip around the cubbies to show what I'm looking for, but I want to be able to make it a freaking controlled light show.

Anyone have experience with that?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Photex posted:

loving godly. the more i look the more godly. jesus christ youve done it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What monitor mounts are people using and are they doing anything extra when they set them up? Are they drilling through the desk or just clamping it on?

There are a bunch of brands on Amazon, but none of them mean anything to me. I've also heard of people putting a piece of wood or metal on the underside of the desk to help distribute the load.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

RVT posted:

What monitor mounts are people using and are they doing anything extra when they set them up? Are they drilling through the desk or just clamping it on?

There are a bunch of brands on Amazon, but none of them mean anything to me. I've also heard of people putting a piece of wood or metal on the underside of the desk to help distribute the load.

Mine is Silverstone. Not that I really cared when I bought it. I just wanted one that would move in multiple directions and look relatively inconspicuous.

There's nothing I've screwed into the desk. Depending on your desk's thickness you may need an extra piece of wood to securely fasten it as sometimes the screw is too short/long to get the right pressure.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I recommend the type with a pole and then the arm attaches.
The other kind where the gas arm attaches to the base directly combines the height adjustment with the angle of the arm and so adjustments on height will also shift the monitor left and right. The pole type will let you adjust the height independently, and also goes up much higher.
With multiple monitors it gets even more complicated to line them up with the non pole type.
If you have multiple monitors it is also better to do 2 single arms instead of 1 double arm. Easier fine adjustment and more flexibility in arm mounting

klen dool
May 7, 2007

frogbs posted:

Thank you! How do you like using that vs a 24/27” 4K monitor, if you’ve used one before?

I've not actually, I can only compare it to two similar sized 16x9's. I was considering getting a 4k of some sort but that monitor is used for gaming and I'd never use a 4k resolution, or my missus at work and she has dodgy eyesight.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

My desk. Pretty happy with how it turned out!! I have my cat5 cables and the power cables for my desk / subwoofer that hang down, but I don't mind them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S750LA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the monitor stand I have for my 2x24" inch monitors and I love it. It comes with a clamp mount (which is what I"m using) and it comes with a bezel mount (which I'm too chicken to drill a hole in my desk)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ihmemies posted:

I bought an electric desk for 400€. Reused my old table.

I should have done this earlier. 4 memory positions and a height display in cm.

What dimensions is this desk? Trying to decide between 62 in, 52 in, 42 in.....

For the record I'm looking at this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have a 63" desk and I couldn't be happier with it. Depending on your height 42" inches might not be tall enough for you. I'm 6'3" and my desk goes up to I believe 50" and 48" is about where I have it full extended.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SalTheBard posted:

I have a 63" desk and I couldn't be happier with it. Depending on your height 42" inches might not be tall enough for you. I'm 6'3" and my desk goes up to I believe 50" and 48" is about where I have it full extended.

Thanks man. I'm 5'9" and it looks like at hypothetical 42", my elbows would be around a 90 degree angle, so seems an ergonomic height for a mouse and KB.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

I made a few updates from my initial post a few weeks ago.

Added a cheapo Amazon microphone arm to my desk. Also, I returned the Edifier speakers I had and replaced them with the Neumi BS5P. Then I went to Home Depot and went DIY for my speaker desk stands with concrete bricks and door stops from Home Depot. For anyone wondering I'm on a Ikea Bekant desk (63" x 31.5"), it's a little tight lengthwise but everything fits to my satisfaction. In terms of depth, I'm able to sit about 40" from the screen, which just gives me enough space where I don't feel like I'm being swallowed by my CX48. I do use it as my monitor, but I forked out for the Best Buy 5 year warranty, which covers burn-in so I don't baby it at all outside of using dark themes for my desktop and web browsers.

I think I'm finally set on my desktop moving forward. :cheersdoge:

mA fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 22, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This setup is insane, and I can't tell if I mean that in a good way or a bad way. I can at least appreciate the chaotic nature of it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The cement blocks are really pretty, but I wouldn’t want to put that kind of unnecessary weight on the desktop if there’s stuff like yoga blocks that can be ordered in any color you can imagine at ~$7 a pop.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Do you always read forums at the widest width possible?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

holy poo poo... goatse must be like looking into the mouth of a volcano on that thing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
thicc forums

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
brb, finding a super computer to AI upscale hello.gif to 8K.

e: and a curved screen so I can truely be engulfed by the goatman.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Buck Turgidson posted:

holy poo poo... goatse must be like looking into the mouth of a volcano on that thing

ring must be huge