Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Installed new anti-swaybar bushings and end links today. I am astounded by how much better the ride is now, and my tires don't bounce off the pavement after every little bump.

Old and busted next to new hotness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

(shakes fist) You better not have thrown out those several thousand pounds in worthless old Macs too. :v:

Still have 99% of those. I'm just waiting for a Performa 520 for the power supply and ribbon cabling to put my 575 board into the Macintosh TV case. I even have a comm slot ethernet card!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giving it the new struts I've had in my garage for the past few weeks.

Old & busted hotness:

New hotness, along with new upper mounts & turn bearings. The springs clean up pretty nice:

Still need to do the passenger's side after I take a break (heat is brutal even with the garage closed up), can't wait to take a ride with the new hardware. The old ones feel fine on compression, especially for 105k miles, but they extend slow as poo poo; should make a significant difference.

After this I'll get some urethane bushings for the new control arms I've got and throw those on, and hopefully the rear struts sometime in the next few months. Why not now? Well, for reference, the parts I installed today (2 struts + upper hardware) totaled a oval office hair under $900, and that's after they took off the markup (I interned there as a tech a while back, and I come in enough that they know me). Dealer-only parts too; nobody makes good aftermarket replacements except >$2000 coilover sets. These are Tokico Blues, actually, but modified with a higher lower spring perch to match the normal spring height of regular Proteges; off-the-shelf Blues are cheaper, but would require taller aftermarket springs to match so the savings isn't that much, and I have no idea if they'd even fit.

/firstworldproblems

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ahahaha what the gently caress am I doing?!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Took off the steps. The first side was a bitch because I thought there were six bolts, when in reality there were ten of two different sizes. Since I did the outside ones first I had to do a kind of four-armed shuffle on the inside ones as they had a nut I had to hold while turning the ratchet and also holding up this surprisingly heavy dirt and cobweb-covered motherfucker.

The other side was a breeze because all the socket trial-and-error was over and I knew which order to unbolt in.

Before:

After:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're going to want to put mudflaps on the front or rocks will strip the paint from the bottom of your doors. there's a piece of plastic that protects the rear behind the box, but the steps are what protects the front.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Powershift posted:

You're going to want to put mudflaps on the front or rocks will strip the paint from the bottom of your doors. there's a piece of plastic that protects the rear behind the box, but the steps are what protects the front.
100%. I worked for Ford and we would have trucks only a year old come in for service, and the paint would be totally missing from just behind the wheel on the fenders and quarters.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Replaced the starter after it died 2 days ago on my Vandura. drat thing had to be dropped before I could undo the wires because of where they were located. First time I ever did this though and it went about as smoothly as you could figure holding a 25lb hunk of metal in a semi-precise location with somewhat limited workpsace could be.

And now it sounds so much better when starting too. :3:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

On the 06 Ion.. been dealing with this missing piece for bit.

Old and busted missing entirely

New hotness:

I'm surprised how much of a pain in the rear end it was to get it lined up. 2 plastic pins, 2 plastic clips, 1 screw.

The original on the driver's side - looks like the new one will need to fade a little, or maybe all of the trim will get dipped.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Went to the junkyard in hopes of finding a new trunk floor in decent shape.

Didn't find that, but did find a mirror from an 05 Ion 2 - it has the outside temp display and compass, and auto dimming, but no OnStar buttons. Since I've cancelled OnStar, and plan to rip out the factory stereo, I think it'll look better having just the one button. It wound up being a direct swap, same plug and everything. I may or may not sell the OnStar mirror; it's in perfect shape, while the replacement has one small spot of delamination. The 05 was also a bitch to get into the trunk - we wound up powering up the car with jumper cables (and the ignition switch was stuck in "run" with the key broken off); odometer showed 91k, airbag light flashing, seat belt chime dinging... but the trunk release button did nothing. One of the junkyard guys helped me bend the back seat enough to crawl into the trunk enough to yank one of the back seat release handles, then I climbed into the trunk and popped it with the emergency release handle. No wonder the remote wouldn't open it, the trunk lid was bent in the accident. Unfortunately, the floor was in terrible shape. They had a sedan (I don't think it'd fit, but I looked anyway) - that one wound up having had a battery fire (battery is in the trunk on these).

I may have to go back and get the ambient air temp sensor; it was reading 115F in the driveway, though the car had been parked about 15 minutes in the sun immediately after being driven. I'm not sure if there was a difference in the ambient sensors between 05 and 06; I'll have to check RockAuto.

I also made a new buddy at the yard! :allears:

He reeked of skunk, and was carrying a dead skunk in his mouth when he walked up to me. Then took off running after me when I tried to run away from skunkdog :barf: - friendly dude tho!

I think kastein has struck this yard:

Something for trouser chili

e: for the new trunk floor, I think I'll trace the existing one onto cardboard, use it as a template for plywood, and add hinges to make it easier to access to spare tire + battery without removing the sub. Also to make it much easier to bolt the sub to the floor with some kind of quick release, so that it stops sliding around on hard turns.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 11, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I actually used it to make candles for Christmas gifts last year, which resulted in it becoming ruined and therefore expunged from the kitchen for all eternity. It actually owns hard, even has silk screened graduations on the side so you can tell how much fluid your diff just spit up.

Ether (starter fluid, do not inhale/use in ways not recommended by the labeling, or you are breaking US federal law in Canada and we'll have to invade) should dissolve it rather nicely.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I bought my WRX new wheels for next summer.

BBS RC336s. Freshly stripped and powdered by the previous guy. Almost perfect, except for one wheel that turned out kind of lumpy but considering what 336's seem to go for normally I'm more than happy.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

replaced my ruined factory sub (the foam surround was COMPLETELY compromised/gone around all 360* of the cone)

price was right, took me about 20 minutes start to finish WITH 5 minutes of time wasted waiting for my soldering iron to heat up...

Doesn't sound too bad, I kind of want to go easy on it for a while so it can break in. I definitely got my money's worth.

Not my image but I used the exact same sub and the same install procedure.

and an example of what it looks like installed

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 12, 2014

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

doing this right now....

this piece of poo poo clutch pedal stopper poo poo itself, that trashy rubber padding slid off (predictably) and now my clutch pedal will occasionally slip over to the left.

my coworker happened to be in the machine shop when I got there, he threw the bolt into our lathe and put this nice pattern into the head

Kind of doubt that the epoxy will hold but I'm giving it every chance. Gonna let it cure 100% before re-installing.

<edit>

added some foam rubber and put it in

feels very solid. if I had it to do over again I'd use JB Weld for sure, but this epoxy feels pretty strong. The pedal only hits a tad off-center once in a while, I think this'll be fine going forward.

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 13, 2014

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Discovered that the previous owner of my car plastidipped the roof rack rails black. I ctrl+z'd that.

I also RE-badged it on back and sides.

I don't quite understand why the previous owner did this kind of work to such a rare car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He was probably an idiot. I'd hate to see what he did to the engine.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I don't get the rails. At first I thought he did them over because they were chrome or something.

The badging....eh I debadged my 330 and it think it looks better. Symmetry or whatever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
retards who don't actually know how to do any mechanical work on cars but still want to do things do the "pick a random removable body panel or trim piece and plastidip it because REASONS" thing.

Idle hands, devil's work, etc.

I tore the front brakes off my Forester intending to put it all back together with new ones, only to discover that working on Subaru brakes loving sucks. 3 of the 4 caliper slide pins were solidly seized in place because I am the first owner to do any maintenance on it. One of the 4 caliper bracket bolts rounded off due to rust, then twisted off when I solved the problem by hammering a 16mm socket on instead of a 17mm. The remaining stub (M12x1.25, because gently caress YOU) was very solidly seized in place even after pounding on the broken end to break up the rust and remove any residual rust-packed preload friction on the threads.

Couldn't find a torch, left my O/A setup at home. gently caress.

Had a 100 amp fluxcore welder with me though...

Awwww yeah. gently caress you, bolt.

VICTORY

Vengeance is mine; I shall repay.

Of course then I discovered the slide pin holes are badly corroded and I don't want to try and clean them out so I threw money at the problem anyways, 82 bucks at the parts store for two brand new brackets. Once I pick up the new caliper bracket bolts at the dealer tonight it gets new rotors, pads, caliper brackets and bolts, slides, boots, and bleeders.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 13, 2014

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Powershift posted:

He was probably an idiot. I'd hate to see what he did to the engine.

I've wondered as well. Thankfully it didn't have many miles on it when I got it (<21k on a 2011 car). All dealers I've taken it to have said it's in great condition. Who knows?

Thinking they just wanted to style it the cheap way without spending too much cash. Odd because it was a lease car; they knew how expensive it was.

Chinatown posted:

I don't get the rails. At first I thought he did them over because they were chrome or something.

The badging....eh I debadged my 330 and it think it looks better. Symmetry or whatever.

It's true; debadging can look good. I would have the badges off if it was more common. My GTI was debadged in the first year I had it.

kastein posted:

retards who don't actually know how to do any mechanical work on cars but still want to do things do the "pick a random removable body panel or trim piece and plastidip it because REASONS" thing.

Idle hands, devil's work, etc.

And I am fine with retards that don't touch anything that they don't know how to work on. Leave that complicated engine bay alone, please. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E&t=61s

It was either that or Chamillionaire

I had the worst taste in music :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I laughed way too loving hard :lol:

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got rear ended by a drunk driver so I'm getting a new bumper on the Cobalt, and my S10 transmission should be in tomorrow! Have to go to work right after it's dropped off so I won't have time to clean it off yet though :(

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Got around to installing Neuspeed lowering springs, really enjoying the minimized wheel gap and slight increase in handling! Went out this evening and had my buddy drive the car while I took a few photos.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 15, 2014

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This looks surprisingly great. White is the best color for these 'lil fuckers.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

I bought my WRX in 2009. The CEL was on the day I bought it. It had a misfire so I was pretty certain it would turn off when I did new plugs. It didn't, but we learned then that it only had one o2 sensor, so I knew it needed to get a second one welded in. It stayed on, but they told me I needed a new gas cap. Between the plugs and o2 sensor, I had to get a new radiator, new hoses, new brakes all the way around, new alternator, and a new starter. Everything else for this car is so drat expensive that I guess I subconsciously didn't want to have to buy anything else, so I rode around with the light glowing for a while more.

On Wednesday I was tooling around Amazon and just figured I would check to see how much gas caps were and if they even had one that fit my car (of course they do - Amazon has everything).

Today I installed (installed? I screwed it in...) my new cap. For the first time since I've owned this car, there is no CEL. It was $5.83.

Apparently this is the only picture I have of my car where it isn't on a tow truck or on a lift.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Jesus, that sucks. Don't go around any corners quickly with low oil either.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
POST TERRIBLE CAR STUFF IN THIS THREAD*

(Disposable, unused felt blankets from my EMS job. I have since woven them in with heavy duty twine. Really muffles engine and road noise, while leaving an airspace.)

(Needs a vacuum badly)

All thrown together quickly to test the fit of my amp frame (mocked up with cardboard, then cut out of MDF). After spending probably an hour and a half tuning the amp and headunit, I think I'm ready for a proper install.

*Anything I do is terrible, no matter the actual thread title

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

POST TERRIBLE CAR STUFF IN THIS THREAD*

I was looking at these and thinking "That looks like a beetle." No poo poo. Long week. Shame you're half a world away. I've got a heap of beetle and type 3 junk sitting around that's too bulky to post. I doubt I'll ever own another beetle :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
E38 Style 5 16x8 +23 all around - effectively 16x8 +5 all around.

No rubbing anywhere... front is gonna go down another inch after I put my skidplate on.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 16, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BlackMK4 posted:

E38 Style 5 16x8 +23 all around - effectively 16x8 +5 all around.

No rubbing anywhere... front is gonna go down another inch after I put my skidplate on.
Maybe its just the angle but it looks like the car is too heavy for those wheels, they're sinking inwards. :ohdear:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Bought a new weighted shift knob and it came in the mail today. A flossy redhead shorty.

I figure this has to be good for at least 15HP

Crappy cellphone pic:

Better pic from the website.

500 grams, about 1lb. :feelsgood:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks like a clown nose.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, it looks like those rubber kickballs you use for dodgeball.

If you can dodge an STi you can dodge a ball!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I say it looks like a jawbreaker. :colbert:

Looks good with your interior though. I could do with more of a smooth finish though.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

looks like a clown nose.
True.

Geirskogul posted:

No, it looks like those rubber kickballs you use for dodgeball.

If you can dodge an STi you can dodge a ball!
Also true!

Surprisingly it was really annoying to find a simple, weighted poo poo knob around 400g that had space for the reverse lockout and no plastic insert "adapter" for the varying thread types. It amount to basically this or a Latheworks (also about half the cost, though it was still around $100).

Flossy has assorted colors and types, but I really dig the clown nose. The color matches all of the STi trim and the exterior logo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now when you're going for a drive, you can say "i'm goin to wiggle my clown nose for a bit" and people will no doubt understand what you mean.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Now when you're going for a drive, you can say "i'm goin to wiggle my clown nose for a bit" and people will no doubt understand what you mean.

It's how I'll separate my true friends from the rest.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I've actually thought about dipping the side rails either black or a darker silver. The entire side rail just unscrews (it's not a drip rail, it's a bigass piece of plastic. I definitely plan to dip the emblems black, if I don't debadge entirely. Debadging would look a bit funky, as there's indentions in the metal for all of them except the "ION" lettering. Maybe at least replace the red part of the Saturn logo with dark silver or black...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Replaced the oil pressure sender on my XJ Cherokee. It went open lead (which is pegged high on the gauge) 13 months after I put it in. Fortunately, I was thinking when I bought it, and got the slightly more expensive (~$5) lifetime warrantied version. Boo-yah!
It gets a wash and an oil change tomorrow, and then Monday it will take me from DFW to Longview, TX for a week for work. Looking forward to seeing what kind of highway mileage it gets (poor, I'm sure).