Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
FFT had some pretty spells, and its ultima looks like Crono's. I do love ultima in FF7 paired with quad magic. Or quad contain. Fast and strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm playing through FFVII for the first time in like, seven years.I was motivated to do so by a gameplay mod that changes things up a fair bit so I was interested in spending hours upon hours with the battle system again.

One thing I noticed on my new playthrough is the massive difference in length between Disk 1 and 2. I must have just forgotten about this or something. On Disk 2, you start off with Icicle/Great Glacier/Gaea's Cliff/Whirlwind Maze and all of that takes maybe 2 hours at most. Then comes all the Huge Mateia gathering which doesn't involve any dungeons and the missions themselves are short too. Hell, Cloud and Tifa in the Lifestream probably took about as long as getting the Huge Materia from Corel and Fort Condor. Then after all that you go to Cosmo Canyon and the City of the Ancients which takes about ten minutes. Then you defeat Diamond Weapon and re-infiltrate Midgar. I'm not there yet but I don't remember it taking so long... And then teh disk is pretty much over.

I don't think Disk 2 is even half as long as Disk 1. I'm at about 45 hours and I'm pretty sure I spent more tahn 30 of that on Disk 1.

I don't think there was such a disparity in disk length for 8 and 9. Then again, I haven't played IX in a long time either.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You could also do a lot of sidequests, like get 2 or 3 of the chocobo colors bred to get the materia, and of course racing them for better breeds, and the battle arena in the Park, etc.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
When I was a kid I completed the whole of disc 2 in one sitting once, it really is very short compared to the first disc which was absolutely packed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Disc 3 is literally one dungeon. It's just the side quest stuff can make it longer.

Also playing through FF5 and FF6 there are clear "Next Disc" spots even though they were on cart. FF5 has the 3 worlds, FF6 has 2. Someone needs to make some "Insert Next Disc" art for those games.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Something about the games being on separate discs and having climaxes at the end of them was actually really satisfying. Maybe a sense of accomplishment or just the way they work as acts of the whole thing, I dunno. It definitely gave the games a slightly different feel that I liked though

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I always preferred fighter dudes to mages; give me Jump or Swordtech any day of the week over your dumb fireballs and ten minute summons (yes as an adult I realize the latter half of the Swordtechs blow, shut up).

Which probably informs the fact that one of my favorite spells is Blink. The mirror-image visual it gives starting with FF4 is always a cool effect, and it's an amazingly powerful spell in almost every game, rivalling or surpassing Haste in usefulness against enemies whose only trick is inflicting massive physical damage. It's the most powerful ability in the original version of FF1 (as RUSE), it single-handedly makes front-row Edge (the best character) viable, and it was pretty much entirely the reason that Ninja was one of the most dominant and powerful jobs/subjobs in FF11 for years.

It's way more powerful and more exciting than Protect. gently caress Protect. Protect might be my least-favorite spell, doubly so because of its ubiquity.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I cleared FF2 (FC) last night and immediately started 3 (FC) for the first time, and it is infinitely more fun in every way. The music uses the fourth sound channel, it's got a massive UI overhaul, etc. 8 and later may all have their equally vocal supporters and detractors but 2 is the only one I feel can be properly called a bad game, at least by my judgement. (I have not played 8 or 10 onward yet, so I may regret this statement later?)

As for magic and spells chat, I have no idea why I like it because it can be a lot of work but I have always liked the Blue magic mechanics. They were kind of annoying in 9, but I really loved the feeling of finally learning a particular blue magic in 5 and 7. I guess I just like throwing enemy skills right back in their faces.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Elec posted:

8 and later may all have their equally vocal supporters and detractors but 2 is the only one I feel can be properly called a bad game, at least by my judgement. (I have not played 8 or 10 onward yet, so I may regret this statement later?)

II is pretty much the worst game in the series, although from what I've heard, XIV v1.0 might be a close contender.

It does have a lot of ambitious ideas, like a very organic levelling system, where every weapon, spell and stat increase with use, but it's both poorly balanced and easily exploited. Doing certain things in battle, such as taking damage or dodging attacks, are the only way to increase your health, defence and agility. This means that if you wipe out the enemies before they get a chance to attack all your characters, then they're going to stay weak and defenceless. Equipping double shields is the best way to increase agility, and bashing yourself over the head with your own weapon is the best way to increase your health, attack and defence.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I always preferred fighter dudes to mages; give me Jump or Swordtech any day of the week over your dumb fireballs and ten minute summons (yes as an adult I realize the latter half of the Swordtechs blow, shut up).

Or have the best of both worlds with Spellsword.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Elec posted:

I cleared FF2 (FC) last night and immediately started 3 (FC) for the first time, and it is infinitely more fun in every way. The music uses the fourth sound channel, it's got a massive UI overhaul, etc. 8 and later may all have their equally vocal supporters and detractors but 2 is the only one I feel can be properly called a bad game, at least by my judgement. (I have not played 8 or 10 onward yet, so I may regret this statement later?)

As for magic and spells chat, I have no idea why I like it because it can be a lot of work but I have always liked the Blue magic mechanics. They were kind of annoying in 9, but I really loved the feeling of finally learning a particular blue magic in 5 and 7. I guess I just like throwing enemy skills right back in their faces.

Blue Magic / Enemy Skill has always been one of my favorite things in FF games, even though 90% of them end up being useless.

Always thought manipulate/control were cool too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elec posted:

8 and later may all have their equally vocal supporters and detractors but 2 is the only one I feel can be properly called a bad game, at least by my judgement. (I have not played 8 or 10 onward yet, so I may regret this statement later?)

2 is just really really bad mechanically and its on the NES so there is no way the "plot" is really going to carry it. Its the first of the "story" FF games as opposed to FFI's "Hey guys lets run my DnD campaign" but its still barely there and sure as poo poo won't make you care. Even cheating the mechanics suck and I doubt anyone would recommend someone play it except to say they have.

8 is bad because the mechanics, while interesting, were not balanced at all and results in a completely free-form difficulty curve entirely based on your knowledge; literally so in the case of the money generation mechanic. The plot then goes out of its way to show you some interesting thoughts and ideas as side-stories and then kinda dump all over it with confusing and poorly thought out main story. "Eyes on Me" also sucks a ton. The only reason to remember it fondly is its by far the most inventive of the mainline games and Triple Triad is amazing.

10 is a good game. Titus can be a whiny dude but the actual story, characters, and world are really interesting and will definitely carry you through a pretty by-the-numbers game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barudak posted:

10 is a good game. Titus can be a whiny dude but the actual story, characters, and world are really interesting and will definitely carry you through a pretty by-the-numbers game.
Can you blame him after all the poo poo he went through? Though I thought the QTE minigame where you bake Demetrius and Chiron into a pie was pretty weird

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

Can you blame him after all the poo poo he went through? Though I thought the QTE minigame where you bake Demetrius and Chiron into a pie was pretty weird

Confirmed: Final Fantasy Versus XIII renamed Final Fantasy Andronicus.

Aaron would have made a better villain than Seymour though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I used to like Triple Triad until I had to spread rules around and then I loving hated it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I used to like Triple Triad until I had to spread rules around and then I loving hated it.

Never spread em. Just refuse to play about 4 or 5 times and they give up and all the terrible, terrible rules never spread and you get to play pure triad forever. FF8 features an accurate card game grognard simulator wherein I can only imagine Squall furiously typing to forums.seeD.edu about some dumb rear end pleb who tried to play with the random rule.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Never spread em. Just refuse to play about 4 or 5 times and they give up and all the terrible, terrible rules never spread and you get to play pure triad forever. FF8 features an accurate card game grognard simulator wherein I can only imagine Squall furiously typing to forums.seeD.edu about some dumb rear end pleb who tried to play with the random rule.

You have to spread some rules if you ever want to play card games on Disc 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

You have to spread some rules if you ever want to play card games on Disc 4.

I thought even then you could deny forever? All I know is my 60 hours save file of FF8 was on disc 3 post Ragnarok and its like 50-60% pure triad action so I can't speak to disc 4. Besides, do you really want to progress to disc 4? Thats where the game gets even shittier.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

I thought even then you could deny forever? All I know is my 60 hours save file of FF8 was on disc 3 post Ragnarok and its like 50-60% pure triad action so I can't speak to disc 4. Besides, do you really want to progress to disc 4? Thats where the game gets even shittier.

You can deny forever, but in Disc 4 and in basically all the later areas, multiple card rules exist (most especially the Lunar Base, which becomes the Ragnarok's card rules, which is ALL of them at once) so you have to spread something to have any fun playing card games there.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Azure_Horizon posted:

You can deny forever, but in Disc 4 and in basically all the later areas, multiple card rules exist (most especially the Lunar Base, which becomes the Ragnarok's card rules, which is ALL of them at once) so you have to spread something to have any fun playing card games there.

There is actually a way around this, but it's pretty involved. On disk 4 all the rules of the world are combined so you have to abolish every crap rule from every "zone" before then. You do this by playing games against people and saying yes when they want to mix rules and hope it gets rid of the rule you don't like and keeps the one you do. You sometimes have to reload because they will eventually stop offering to mix. Then when you're done with the match, if your lucky you'll get a message like "the rules have spread throughout the region" or something. Again, you may have to reload if the wrong rule spreads. You can permanently remove rules from the game doing this by making sure they are in the game that spread. There's some FAQ that explains all the "zone" and poo poo on GameFAQs.

It's pretty fucky but if I remember right it can all be done on disc one; certainly most of it. I've done it before because Triad is pretty fun and the most entertaining way to bust the game in half.

FF8 is my favorite expressly for how much you can crush the game. I just appreciate the way they have it designed where it does't feel like I'm breaking rules or cheating breaking it, just feels like I'm taking full advantage of the system. That and the fact that the only grinding in the game is at the very beginning drawing all the base spells manually with low mag and then your home free to do what ever dicking around you feel like in the goofy goofy world they have.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The hilarious bit is how you can win back fresh copies of modded cards on Disc 4, allowing you to get infinite numbers of almost any item you want.

Megalixirs? Bahamut. Str Ups? Zell. Or my favourite part - Holy Wars? Gilgamesh.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just want to hit monsters with a sword, thanks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll also always have a soft spot for ff8 because of triple triad and also because of how easy/different the game is. Its probably been 10 years since I played it but I'll probably play it again when I finish dimensions and replaying ff9. Is there a detailed guide on how to use triple triad to break the game? Years ago there was a website that let you play triple triad p2p with people online, that was fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

8 is bad because the mechanics, while interesting, were not balanced at all and results in a completely free-form difficulty curve entirely based on your knowledge; literally so in the case of the money generation mechanic. The plot then goes out of its way to show you some interesting thoughts and ideas as side-stories and then kinda dump all over it with confusing and poorly thought out main story. "Eyes on Me" also sucks a ton. The only reason to remember it fondly is its by far the most inventive of the mainline games and Triple Triad is amazing.

I'm playing FFVIII with a difficulty mod right now and like I said earlier I played FFVII with a gameplay mod as well.

Ya know what's sad? There is probably a thousand times more mods of FFVII than there are of VIII. This is to be expected - VII is a much better game than VIII. People want to give the game and its ugly Lego graphics a nice overhaul.

But really...VII is just fine on its own. It doesn't need those flavor touches. I would argue VIII is the game that needs a giant mod that changes a lot of things. If there was an FFVIII mod that edited enemy AI or switched spells up or somehow limited Junction bonuses, that would be awesome.

I guess what I'm saying is that VII is a good game that doesn't need a lot of alterations while VIII had a lot of good ideas that were crushed under a lot of garbage so a mod could help the game reach its potential.

Also to the earlier poster asking about which game to play - Xenogears is the only right answer.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'll also always have a soft spot for ff8 because of triple triad and also because of how easy/different the game is. Its probably been 10 years since I played it but I'll probably play it again when I finish dimensions and replaying ff9. Is there a detailed guide on how to use triple triad to break the game? Years ago there was a website that let you play triple triad p2p with people online, that was fun.

Basically it's all about getting tornado early. You can use Quetzalcoatl's T-Mag to turn windmills into 20 tornadoes. You can Card-mod windmills from the worm card, I think it was called Abyss Worm, and you can win them from the old dude at the 'ticket booth' at the front entrance of Balamb Garde. If you get a deck of 5 Bombs you should be able to beat him every time. Tornado is a pretty ridiculous spell when junctioned because its roughly the third most powerful spell for every stat.

Other than that you can also get full stacks of death early from chef's knives from tonberrys, and pain spikes from something I cant remember (I think it's pain spikes), which is pretty strong. It's really just about modding everything you win from people like the guy in the ticket booth and the guy you win Quistis' card from in the cafeteria. They all have lvl 5 or 6 cards that mod in to ridiculous stuff for the opening part of disc one.

I know you can also use card mod to get most of the ultimate weapons on disc one. You can get the Lionheart immediately after getting the brothers summon by modding the card you get from them. It takes some other pieces I can't remember but I know the thing you get from their card is the last and hardest to find part of it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Free Drinks posted:

There is actually a way around this, but it's pretty involved. On disk 4 all the rules of the world are combined so you have to abolish every crap rule from every "zone" before then. You do this by playing games against people and saying yes when they want to mix rules and hope it gets rid of the rule you don't like and keeps the one you do. You sometimes have to reload because they will eventually stop offering to mix. Then when you're done with the match, if your lucky you'll get a message like "the rules have spread throughout the region" or something. Again, you may have to reload if the wrong rule spreads. You can permanently remove rules from the game doing this by making sure they are in the game that spread. There's some FAQ that explains all the "zone" and poo poo on GameFAQs.

It's pretty fucky but if I remember right it can all be done on disc one; certainly most of it. I've done it before because Triad is pretty fun and the most entertaining way to bust the game in half.

FF8 is my favorite expressly for how much you can crush the game. I just appreciate the way they have it designed where it does't feel like I'm breaking rules or cheating breaking it, just feels like I'm taking full advantage of the system. That and the fact that the only grinding in the game is at the very beginning drawing all the base spells manually with low mag and then your home free to do what ever dicking around you feel like in the goofy goofy world they have.
I have done this before, as I broke the game pretty much entirely with my LP of it. It's just that you have to gently caress with the RNG so much to get certain rules totally abolished from certain areas, including obtuse poo poo like clicking on certain things X amount of times and yadda yadda.

Trust me, you'll be reloading for-loving-ever if you don't follow the secret cheats. Triple Triad is garbage.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I had to use random for the bastard pub owner to use Doomtrain. :negative:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So this is completely unrelated to FF8, but I've heard a lot about this Bravely Default game that people seem to really like the sound of. People also seem to say it's similar to Four Heroes of Light.

I hated basically everything about Four Heroes of Light, so I'd like to know exactly how close the similarities run so I know whether to give it a chance or not. How similar are the two games?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

alcharagia posted:

So this is completely unrelated to FF8, but I've heard a lot about this Bravely Default game that people seem to really like the sound of. People also seem to say it's similar to Four Heroes of Light.

I hated basically everything about Four Heroes of Light, so I'd like to know exactly how close the similarities run so I know whether to give it a chance or not. How similar are the two games?

They kind of have a similar aesthetic.
They both have a primary cast that consists of four playable characters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

4 Heroes of Light and Bravely Default were made by different teams - the former by Matrix Software (most recently known for Final Fantasy Dimensions), the latter by Silicon Studio (who appear to be much newer, and made 3D Dot Game Heroes). They look similar because they're both portable retro throwback RPGs (one to 8-bit and one to 16-bit styles) with character design by Akihiko Yoshida.

They don't appear to have any particular similarity beyond that, however.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

effectual posted:

I had to use random for the bastard pub owner to use Doomtrain. :negative:

While at first I hated it, over time I grew to enjoy the Random rule. Made the game more interesting than just stomping with your supercards.

But then I was a sucker for Triple Triad in general.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Random in theory was Okay but kept giving me 3 crappy cards, 1 middle one, and 1 high one. I'd prefer mostly middle ones.  I still have no idea how FF9 cards work.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I know the After Years isn't really well loved but I sure did enjoy it. It has the same problems Dimensions does being created for the mobile market as episodes but I dig that it was a ~20 year later story. I'd like to see more of that in games; not necessarily the same characters we played but the later aftermath of what they did/saw. I also have a soft spot for anything FFIV so the Complete Collection on PSP is pretty great.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shaezerus posted:

And Cannoneer makes all four.

I'm not 100% sold on it, given its similarities to Necromancer's design, but it does what I set out to do - a more muted, utilitarian look compared to the vivid colors and extravagant tricornes (especially in Krile's case), and essentially a Job-thematic reimagining of his Amano artwork.

The Prussian colors are a really nice touch.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

effectual posted:

I still have no idea how FF9 cards work.

The people that made the game don't understand how to play it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

The people that made the game don't understand how to play it.

For all the love I have for Final Fantasy 9, the experience of going from Triple Triad to Tetra Master was heartbreaking.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

fount of knowledge posted:

For all the love I have for Final Fantasy 9, the experience of going from Triple Triad to Tetra Master was heartbreaking.

Even sadder is that if you manage to get the highest card rank the game glitches out because the designers didn't think any would be that crazy.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm coming back to FFV after a long hiatus and just got my Earth Crystal jobs. Are there any side quests or other content I need to finish up now before talking to Cid? This seems like a point of no return

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Vadun posted:

I'm coming back to FFV after a long hiatus and just got my Earth Crystal jobs. Are there any side quests or other content I need to finish up now before talking to Cid? This seems like a point of no return

Have you played all the pianos in taverns across the world?

Now would be a good time to do that.

Edit: Also, the Ramuh and Shiva summons. If you're not aware, Ramuh is a random encounter near Istory and Shiva is in the Walse water-tower.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Who the hell puts lard in tea? :psyduck: