Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is a whole category of early chapter books to help you span that gap; usually short chapters with pictures on each chapter page.

Our kids liked the Anna Hibiscus series and The No.1 Car Spotter series. Also things like David and the Phoenix, the Magic Tree House, and the Faraway Tree.

The original Winnie the Pooh stories and Curious George books fit in there too, more text with inset pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

There is a whole category of early chapter books to help you span that gap; usually short chapters with pictures on each chapter page.

Our kids liked the Anna Hibiscus series and The No.1 Car Spotter series. Also things like David and the Phoenix, the Magic Tree House, and the Faraway Tree.

The original Winnie the Pooh stories and Curious George books fit in there too, more text with inset pictures.

Even those you are talking like 3 or 4 at least though right? I honestly have no clue how kids progress other than the one I have.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Reading about other countries and their health systems is really depressing. I found myself uninsured for a few months during my first pregnancy, it was the scariest time of my life. I literally had no idea how I was going to pay for the birth, or any subsequent pediatric care. I even had to skip a few prenatal appointments I couldn't afford.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

hooah posted:

My 1.5-year-old stopped eating well at dinner about three evenings ago. She still eats great for breakfast and lunch, but hardly anything at dinner, no matter what we offer. I'm not too concerned that she's going to starve or anything, so is there any reason to do anything? If so, what should we do to get her back to eating at dinner?

This is going to change perpetually. If they don't want to eat the entire meal store it in the fridge and they may eat it later/next day. Kids are well tuned to their own hunger and they won't always eat on a schedule.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Chin Strap posted:

Even those you are talking like 3 or 4 at least though right? I honestly have no clue how kids progress other than the one I have.
It depends a lot on your kid and their interest. My son has what I now realize is an usually voracious appetite for books - he would sit through stuff like Curious George and Winnie the Pooh when he was 2, but I don't think that is typical. (I have a clear memory of reading him a collection of Curious George stories and when we finally got to the end he just looked up and said 'Again?') He's almost six now and he will read books with short chapters entirely on his own.

Our daughter (who is three) doesn't have nearly as much interest or patience though, she'll get bored and fidgety and scoot off if we try and read something too long. If you have a local library it can be really helpful to just go and start pulling stuff off the shelf, see what they are taken by. Sometimes it will be way over their heads, and that's fine, but you might land on something you wouldn't have tried on your own. My son really loved looking at the Eye Witness books well before we could read them because they have tons of huge, interesting pictures of stuff.

You could also look at things like the Robert Munsch stories, they're simple stories with accompanying pictures and are usually silly/fantastic enough to keep kids attention.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My five year old and my almost three year old both love Mo Willems' books and they're some of the more entertaining for an adult to read. Other hits are the books in the "Five Minute Stories" collection and Pete the Cat. We always have a ton of books so we rotate through a lot so no one gets too bored.

For fidget-y readers, we read a lot with the toddler standing between my legs or as he wandered the room. He's a big reader now but it took a while to find what worked for him.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Ours isn't fidgety in bed, just demanding. We can do an hour of reading before bed and she'll still demand "another book?" when we are done. It is cool and I don't want to discourage it, but at the same time she's clearly stalling the moment where she has to sleep.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
We have the same issue here. We read her some books and then it's just lights off/out (ideally). Doesn't always work but usually we go from ambient light to nightlight only to no lights by the end. Never thought it was demanding but definitely a stall.

Meanwhile, my 2y/o daughter just channeled Bob's burgers (the art crawl episode). She was in the bathtub drawing with bath crayons and drew her first vaguely recognizable pig. :3: Naturally the next thing she says to us is that we need to help her draw the pigs anus.

My list to keep track of hilarious things she has said lately grows quickly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My two year old just walked into the room, looked me in the eyes, and then straight up slapped me across the face and yelled "NO!"

I grab his arm (gently but firmly and say) "That is not okay. We don't hit. That hurt. Say you're sorry and kiss it better."

He looks me in the eyes, defiant, refusing to say anything and then, using his other hand, begins to repeatedly slap himself in the face.

I don't even know how to interpret this. He did eventually apologize and kiss it better but I don't know what the hell inspired it, he was playing pretty happily by himself in the other room before it happened!?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

How the hell do you brush your toddler's teeth?

My 18-month old won't let us near her mouth with a toothbrush. We never force it. We've tried singing songs, brushing her toys' teeth, letting her watch us, and letting her brush our teeth. Most days end up with no brushing.

We used to clean her teeth with a cloth when we couldn't get her to brush, but now she's starting to bite our fingers (cuz she thinks it's funny, not cuz she doesn't like it), so the brush will be the only option.

I'm worried that we've somehow instilled a fear of brushing that will last for her entire life and she'll end up needing dentures at 20. :sigh:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sometimes you gotta force it. That's all there is to it. There'll be screaming and crying at first, but it does get better as they get used to it. Please get your kid into the habit of brushing ASAP because you will be surprised how quickly those little teeth can start to rot when you neglect them.

I used to brush my son's front teeth when he clenched them to stop us getting in his mouth, and then get his molars when he opened his mouth to scream. It was unpleasant for everyone involved, but he's now 4 and happily brushes his teeth twice a day and has lovely, flawless white teeth.

There are gonna be things kids don't like to do, but sometimes, you just gotta get on with it, especially if you've tried everything else.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 29, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My 18-month old won't let us near her mouth with a toothbrush. We never force it. We've tried singing songs, brushing her toys' teeth, letting her watch us, and letting her brush our teeth. Most days end up with no brushing.

We used to clean her teeth with a cloth when we couldn't get her to brush, but now she's starting to bite our fingers (cuz she thinks it's funny, not cuz she doesn't like it), so the brush will be the only option.

I'm worried that we've somehow instilled a fear of brushing that will last for her entire life and she'll end up needing dentures at 20. :sigh:

Mine usually loves brushing his teeth. When he doesn't, get gets "the countdown" (he gets to do it himself on 3-2-1-go or we do it for him) and then we start "forcing it" (although gently at first with plenty of modeling what he should be doing). It works pretty well, he's very good about doing it himself most nights.

Additional advice:
CONSISTENCY: Follow the same procedure every time. Have it fairly strict. Don't constantly try to adjust or change things or come up with new methods to do it - that will just signal to them they have options and can maneuver out of it, especially if it actually WORKS which it sounds like it does. Start the same way (describe what you're doing). Make the same offer, have the same countdown. Have the same song describing the process of how to do it correctly every time that you sing whether you do it or they do it. Have the same result for diverging form the procedure.

The most important thing is to normalize it and make it seem inevitable, then offer them the opportunity of controlling how it happens.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If you're going to force the issue (which is what you're going to have to do in all likelihood), try starting small and building up gradually. At this point you're mostly trying to establish good habits and good associations; the actual tooth cleaning is secondary.

Maybe start by getting her comfortable with the brush being near her mouth. Just put it up by there, wait for a moment when her freakout is on the wane, then be done and give her some positive reinforcement. Make a minimum of fuss about it. Ideally she'll become acclimatized and then you can move onto, say, putting the brush in her mouth. Rinse and repeat.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I probably should have looked up an actual tooth-brushing song for my son, but it ended up just being 'brush brush brush' in a sing song voice. :D

Now he's a bit older and I've told him about the icky germs that like to live in his mouth, when he's finished brushing he has me check his teeth so I can see if there are any left.

"Dad, are there five germs today? Did I get them all?" :3:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

My two year old just walked into the room, looked me in the eyes, and then straight up slapped me across the face and yelled "NO!"

I grab his arm (gently but firmly and say) "That is not okay. We don't hit. That hurt. Say you're sorry and kiss it better."

He looks me in the eyes, defiant, refusing to say anything and then, using his other hand, begins to repeatedly slap himself in the face.

I don't even know how to interpret this. He did eventually apologize and kiss it better but I don't know what the hell inspired it, he was playing pretty happily by himself in the other room before it happened!?

He's two. It happens. Mine does it too (both the hitting of others and himself).

Hitting himself, I explain like this: when he encounters pain (tripping, running into something, etc), mommy and daddy come and give attention to make the hurt go away. Therefore, he causes pain to himself when he isn't getting his way because he wants the attention and for mommy and daddy to make him feel better. Perfect two-year-old logic.

You're right to be firm (and consistent, that's the key) with the hitting of others. He'll quickly learn on his own that hitting himself, so long as you don't give into his attention seeking, isn't a great solution.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Thanks for the advice all. My wife and I are gonna regroup on the approach and make it more consistent between the two of us. We'll start small and work our way towards actual consistent brushing. If all else fails, we'll be firm but gentle about forcing it until she's old enough to really understand why it's important.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Coincidentally, my wife just took our soon-to-be 18-month-old daughter to her first pediatric dentist appointment, and the advice was similar: do the brushing until they're at least 6, then supervise until at least 8. This'll be fun.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks for the advice all. My wife and I are gonna regroup on the approach and make it more consistent between the two of us. We'll start small and work our way towards actual consistent brushing. If all else fails, we'll be firm but gentle about forcing it until she's old enough to really understand why it's important.

Sometimes you just have to try new options that get them more involved but they will avoid the issue until it's a consistent enough routine in terms of when/order. So PJs, lights low, then brushing? etc.

Options can be things like having two toothbrushes, asking where they want to do it, doing it together (both of you hold the brush), etc. Let them lay back on a pillow and you play dentist, making up new songs or telling a story of the day while you brush.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Bardeh posted:

Sometimes you gotta force it. That's all there is to it. There'll be screaming and crying at first, but it does get better as they get used to it. Please get your kid into the habit of brushing ASAP because you will be surprised how quickly those little teeth can start to rot when you neglect them.
Confirmed by our dentist today at our 18 month old's first "checkup".

He has 4 kids and says if he sees any of the older ones not taking the proper responsibility, he'll brush their teeth for them.

Including the 10 year old.

We've been brushing his teeth since around 1 year but we haven't been completely great about brushing in all directions/coverage. After his pep talk, we're going to do better.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

i think two year olds just experiment with pain as a side effect of figuring out emotions and empathy. mine's been in a phase for a few weeks now where she'll take a doll or something and beat it about the head while yelling "ow! ow it hurts!" and usually she apologizes later. or she'll throw a stuffed animal, talk about how it bonked its head, and then kiss it better. no idea where she got this from, i'm assuming old disney cartoons and the like

force it. i explain to mine that we have to get the sugar bugs out but if she's not having it then i hold her down and make it quick. sadly it's easier to brush their teeth when they're crying because then their mouth is open

if she cooperates then i give her some reward, like turning out the lights before bedtime or maybe some dancing. if she doesn't then it's some discomfort then straight to bed. toddlers are tough, forcing them to brush their teeth isn't so bad

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 30, 2017

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Oh man have we been dealing with viruses here. Thought it was just a cold, probably was flu (we had flu shots but I guess there's a different strand going around). Just went from one of us to the other and has been really lingering. Life is hard when you're down one parent and have a cranky toddler! Kudos to the single parents out there.

As far as toothbrushing goes, one thing we have always done is let him brush by himself first and then he has to let a grownup have a turn. For the longest time he mostly just chewed on the toothbrush and sucked the toothpaste off but now he's starting to make a brushing motion. We picked out a yummy toothpaste to encourage him. When we switched to a fluoride toothpaste at age 2, I found Kiss My Face toothpaste in berry that comes with flouride and without. I bought one tube of each. He would brush with the non-fluoride toothpaste and then we brushed with the fluoride one. This way he is practicing and building his skills and we're still making sure he gets his teeth clean. I labeled the non-fluoride toothpaste with a big A for Anders and the other one with a big F for Fluoride and a big frowny face. We had a talk about how too much fluoride can make you sick so only grownups can do the fluoride toothpaste. Kids are notorious for getting into yummy tasting things, so I felt that lesson was important.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I feel like this winter there has not been a single week where at least one of us have not been sick.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
We went on holiday a month ago and since we got back one or other of the adults or kids have had some kind of virus, then when everyone seemed to be clearing up my daughter comes out with chicken pox (we're in the UK where the vaccine isn't offered except for vulnerable groups). She's not bad with it so the worst thing is having to keep her in the house so we're not spreading disease about all willy nilly - she was meant to be having her birthday party tomorrow but that's been cancelled.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

I feel like this winter there has not been a single week where at least one of us have not been sick.

We've just had Chickenpox work it's way through each child. The 4 year old was fine with it and only a couple of spots. We figured people were just going overboard when they said it was bad. The 2 year old got it and was miserable, her back and tummy looked like the Milky Way. Now the 3 month old has it, but hey, at least she won't scratch!

Also, these are a godsend:

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Those are genius!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Why isn't chicken pox vaccine on the schedule for you guys? It's dreadful to get later in on life, also shingles when you're old :( my mother in law and her best friend both had to deal with shingles in the last couple of years and her friend got it across her face :cry: Trigeminal neuralgia for the extreme lose :smith:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Because we know better than subject matter experts and freedom so gently caress you

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I had shingles at two months post-partum and it sucked balls and we had to do all sorts of contortions to make sure I didn't give it to the baby. Do not recommend.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, the chickenpox vax isn't part of the program here either, but we sprung for it ourselves. It was expensive but not as expensive as all the work we'd miss if she got sick anyway. When we tell other parents at the daycare it's ":stare: you crazy genius"

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

nyerf posted:

Why isn't chicken pox vaccine on the schedule for you guys? It's dreadful to get later in on life, also shingles when you're old :( my mother in law and her best friend both had to deal with shingles in the last couple of years and her friend got it across her face :cry: Trigeminal neuralgia for the extreme lose :smith:

Here's what the NHS website says

quote:

Chickenpox vaccine FAQs

Why isn't the chickenpox vaccination part of the routine childhood immunisation schedule?

There's a worry that introducing chickenpox vaccination for all children could increase the risk of chickenpox and shingles in adults.
While chickenpox during childhood is unpleasant, the vast majority of children recover quickly and easily. In adults, chickenpox is more severe and the risk of complications increases with age.
If a childhood chickenpox vaccination programme was introduced, people would not catch chickenpox as children because the infection would no longer circulate in areas where the majority of children had been vaccinated.
This would leave unvaccinated children susceptible to contracting chickenpox as adults, when they are more likely to develop a more severe infection or a secondary complication, or in pregnancy, when there is a risk of the infection harming the baby.
We could also see a significant increase in cases of shingles in adults. Being exposed to chickenpox as an adult – for example, through contact with infected children – boosts your immunity to shingles.
If you vaccinate children against chickenpox, you lose this natural boosting, so immunity in adults will drop and more shingles cases will occur.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/chickenpox-vaccine-questions-answers.aspx#routineschedule

Reading a bit more into it there's also concerns that the uptake wouldn't be high enough because some parents are still wary of vaccines after the wnole MMR debacle, and as chickenpox is so much worse as an adult the risks of more people getting seriously ill as an adult would be higher for those whose parents didn't give them the vaccine.

I could have found somewhere to get it done privately but I tend to just go by what the NHS guidelines suggest.

namaste faggots posted:

Because we know better than subject matter experts and freedom so gently caress you

No, that's not fair, I listened to the subject matter experts that provide our health care and have never missed a scheduled vaccination.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Thanks for putting it better than I could hookerbot.

Tl:dr NHS doesn't offer it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I'm confused. I was under the impression that having had chicken pox puts the drat bastards that reactivate later on and cause shingles in your nerves. No chicken pox = no shingles? There's a separate vaccine for shingles too though, so now I'm really :confused:

I mean, is the NHS actually kinda preferring we all have pox parties?

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
That's a very confusing bit of text for sure. I think they're saying that chickenpox being so ubiquitous in childhood ensures that pretty much everybody is immunized early in life (through contracting the disease), and adults carrying the virus get "boosted" from contact with sick children, enabling them to keep the virus in check.

The worry is that enough people will refuse the vaccine so that 1) there will be a significant number of adults who have neither had the vaccine nor the disease, and thus are not immune, but the disease will still be around; and 2) immunized adults will no longer get regularly re-immunized through contact with sick kids, and therefore will be less protected against shingles.

I think the shingles vax is pretty much a booster dose of the chickenpox vaccine (ie a substitute for hanging out with your sick grandkids).

E: so yeah, in a sense they prefer pox parties to a partially vaccinated population.

Public Serpent fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 1, 2017

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Public Serpent posted:

That's a very confusing bit of text for sure. I think they're saying that chickenpox being so ubiquitous in childhood ensures that pretty much everybody is immunized early in life (through contracting the disease), and adults carrying the virus get "boosted" from contact with sick children, enabling them to keep the virus in check.

The worry is that enough people will refuse the vaccine so that 1) there will be a significant number of adults who have neither had the vaccine nor the disease, and thus are not immune, but the disease will still be around; and 2) immunized adults will no longer get regularly re-immunized through contact with sick kids, and therefore will be less protected against shingles.

I think the shingles vax is pretty much a booster dose of the chickenpox vaccine (ie a substitute for hanging out with your sick grandkids).

That's also how I understood it. Basically people are dumb so it would be a public health hazard to ask people to get vaccinated.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, folks - time to give me some potty training advice! I'm pretty sure he's ready, since he regularly asks us to put him on the toilet and regularly pees when we do so (and less frequently does the same for poop).

I know someone had suggested a particularly effective particularly quick method for actually transitioning a while back - what was that? It was something like just "no diaper or anything, keep an eye on him, move him when he goes and clean up the mess"?

In which case I'll also probably be wanting advice on getting poop and pee out of carpet and cleaning hardwood...

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
The one we did with our oldest was something like "potty training bootcamp". Someone gave us a pdf. The first step which we found sort of important was telling him "we're throwing away all your diapers now" and he helped take the last of them (3 or so) to the trash.

Then we just put towels on the couch and he ran around in underwear all day. We tried to give him extra water so he'd have lots of chances to go. He had a bunch of accidents the first day. A few the second day. Then it was OK. We always took extra clothes everywhere for the next month at least. Accidents were not exactly rare, but not every day either. It went pretty well in our minds. We'll try the same with our youngest soon.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Nothing was working for potty training for us. She didn't even want to sit on the potty. So one day we just took off the diaper and put on panties and clothes and asked constantly if she had to go potty .

She had one accident and had a meltdown. We have now had zero accidents at home. She has the odd accident at daycare but it seems to happen when she's distracted playing outside so I'm pretty happy.

We put her in pullups if we are going for a long car ride or going out to the park cause the bathrooms aren't open yet. But she has yet to pee in them so it's been great.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Anyone here has twins? We just learned the next baby are babies. Will still in the "holy poo poo wtf" phase but I'm sure I'll have questions eventually.

Right now I'm just looking at that Toyata Yaris we litteraly finished paying for a month ago and I'm sad that we have to sell it for something else and other general "being poor will be fun" stuff. Also wondering where the heck we're supposed to find energy for that since just adding 1 was scary enough.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

KingColliwog posted:

Anyone here has twins? We just learned the next baby are babies. Will still in the "holy poo poo wtf" phase but I'm sure I'll have questions eventually.

Right now I'm just looking at that Toyata Yaris we litteraly finished paying for a month ago and I'm sad that we have to sell it for something else and other general "being poor will be fun" stuff. Also wondering where the heck we're supposed to find energy for that since just adding 1 was scary enough.

Welcome to the twin club! Our boys are turning six months this week. You have no idea how much harder twins are compared to 'just' one baby, but you're about to find out!

It loving rules once you get past the first few months.

You don't have the time or energy for a lot of the singleton parent handwringing about everything since you just need to get through the day alive. I think this can help you stay grounded. I think it's literally impossible to helicopter parent twins.

You already know how to keep a baby alive so you'll just have to scale up.

Seriously, it rules.

Edit with actual advice: for gear recommendations we really liked Lucie's list's twins section. The twin mom who runs it has excellent suggestions, and my wife even pinged the multiples' Facebook page and got suggestions/gear recs for stuff that wasn't on the site in a matter of days.

Happy to answer any questions as they come up. Good luck!

E-Money fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KingColliwog posted:

We have twins and a yaris, it works fine, but ah you'll have three kids... Enjoy!