Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

galenanorth posted:

I was kinda hoping the show would eventually settle into a Star Trek-but-with-zombies hopeful tone instead of flailing about between "we have to do the things that aren't morally easy to survive" and "it doesn't have to be this way" on loop with sweaty close-ups. The people that don't act like people anymore because they're Borg-like identical vessels for sets of opposing platitudes which are swapped around between characters like musical chairs.

That's basically the reason the show has declined to season 1 viewing numbers. Rick has gone insane and become Evil Rick like what, three times now? His supporting cast of stupid idiots is just relentlessly cycled in and out and the storytelling is getting weaker and weaker, with a shrinking budget as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

galenanorth posted:

I was kinda hoping the show would eventually settle into a Star Trek-but-with-zombies hopeful tone instead of flailing about between "we have to do the things that aren't morally easy to survive" and "it doesn't have to be this way" on loop with sweaty close-ups. The people that don't act like people anymore because they're Borg-like identical vessels for sets of opposing platitudes which are swapped around between characters like musical chairs.

#shanewasright

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Characters like Shane and Dale don’t seem like they’re from the same universe as Negan or Ezekiel or the trash folk. It’s like the show shifted from being set in the real world to being set in a fantasy world where the zombies may as well be orcs and society has always been this way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Characters like Shane and Dale don’t seem like they’re from the same universe as Negan or Ezekiel or the trash folk. It’s like the show shifted from being set in the real world to being set in a fantasy world where the zombies may as well be orcs and society has always been this way.

It reminds me a lot of the Change books by SM Stirling. Some Thing occurs which makes electricity and gunpowder stop for some reason, like in that tv show Revolution. Now Revolution took place like 20 years later, and they had swords and stuff but clung a lot to the old ways when they could, and when they had the opportunities to use technology and guns they eagerly did so. In other words, society didn't change in the sense that the people who were alive before the loss of power remembered who they were.

In the Change books, within like 3 years of the event, these every day Americans were founding societies specifically based on feudal European culture and embracing Wiccanism as a religion. They also were serious basing poo poo around the Lord of the Rings books. Like the world ends, and everyone is a M'lord M'lady larper building castles, having clans and nobility, pretending to practice magic, going on quests, speaking with affectations, etc. The entire premise is like "what if the apocalypse came and America was rebuilt by renn faire and D&D nerds." I lasted about 2 books before I was out.

It's a problem in the 100 too, because the century or so of time doesn't seem to be enough for the Grounders to develop such a separate culture and language, especially in contrast to Mt Wx and the Arkers who largely remained 21st century people. But it's been hinted at there being an in universe explanation for that with social engineering from Becca and Cadogen/Second Dawn.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If they were trying to be friendly with a Savior while working on the same task like plowing the field after the war, someone could bring up "so could you teach me how to whistle? Did everyone in the Savior camp know how to whistle or did they have like choreography sessions for intimidating whistling technique. I have heard that makes time go faster, whistling while you work" and then there's an implied "I'd deck you right now if there weren't a peace treaty" response. The show could use 50% standalone slice-of-life episodes mixed in, and that way they could double the pace of their storyline episodes without catching up with the source material.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Astroman posted:

It reminds me a lot of the Change books by SM Stirling. Some Thing occurs which makes electricity and gunpowder stop for some reason, like in that tv show Revolution. Now Revolution took place like 20 years later, and they had swords and stuff but clung a lot to the old ways when they could, and when they had the opportunities to use technology and guns they eagerly did so. In other words, society didn't change in the sense that the people who were alive before the loss of power remembered who they were.

In the Change books, within like 3 years of the event, these every day Americans were founding societies specifically based on feudal European culture and embracing Wiccanism as a religion. They also were serious basing poo poo around the Lord of the Rings books. Like the world ends, and everyone is a M'lord M'lady larper building castles, having clans and nobility, pretending to practice magic, going on quests, speaking with affectations, etc. The entire premise is like "what if the apocalypse came and America was rebuilt by renn faire and D&D nerds." I lasted about 2 books before I was out.

It's a problem in the 100 too, because the century or so of time doesn't seem to be enough for the Grounders to develop such a separate culture and language, especially in contrast to Mt Wx and the Arkers who largely remained 21st century people. But it's been hinted at there being an in universe explanation for that with social engineering from Becca and Cadogen/Second Dawn.

Oh man I totally forgot about those books and I totally got as far before ditching them. At least they were stupid because the author kept trying to cram his religion down my throat: I still found the characters and the world mostly interesting. That's probably why I liked Revolution, it just didn't have the strength to stick to its setting. Or maybe it got canned and they just wrapped it up? Man...I'd have way rather that show went on for 10 years than the steaming pile of trash that is TWD.

Although, now that I think about it, a bunch of absurd SCA assholes taking over the post-apocalypse is just as likely as the Garbage People who devolved to noun-verb speech before they retconned it. :shrug:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Why is Daryl being such an rear end in a top hat

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

Why is Daryl being such an rear end in a top hat

He's realized after Rick leaves the show he's gonna be the main dude and is pissed

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's unavoidable since this is sourced from a comic book, but the introduction of the King was where I lost my suspension of disbelief, even moreso than any technical mistake or nonsensical story beat

He's like a Magic the Gathering player that's too into it

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Spellman posted:

It's unavoidable since this is sourced from a comic book, but the introduction of the King was where I lost my suspension of disbelief, even moreso than any technical mistake or nonsensical story beat

The King is a god drat pillar of real world accuracy compared to the trash people.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Spellman posted:

I think the idea of a charismatic actor taking over a group of people post apocalypse and putting on a character for it seems reasonable. The real world is so horrendous that he's a bit like a comfort blanket. Having a tiger is really dumb though.

The trash people are the loving worst though, there's no reason for them to speak like they do.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Taear posted:

I think the idea of a charismatic actor taking over a group of people post apocalypse and putting on a character for it seems reasonable. The real world is so horrendous that he's a bit like a comfort blanket. Having a tiger is really dumb though.

The trash people are the loving worst though, there's no reason for them to speak like they do.

The amalgamation of fantastical characters was simply too much to buy, Carol is a really grounded character with a believable backstory, and her settling down in this fantasy setting with 100 roleplayers really stifled her potential

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Taear posted:

The only saving grace is that at the end, Jadis did drop the act.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Taear posted:

A flashback will show ol’ Zeke was playing the role of MacDuff in a ‘Night with Shakespeare’ fundraiser for the local zoo when zombies swarmed in.

Scared half-to-death, he channels the courage and determination of his role, and also saves a caged tiger. The other survivors he rescued only ever heard him talk in his stage voice.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Well what the gently caress where's Jesus in that trailer?
Does this scene ever happen

That was cool as gently caress

Or this one

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Last I heard Jesus dies this season, so *shrug*

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
He'll be back

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

JossiRossi posted:

The King is a god drat pillar of real world accuracy compared to the trash people.

Taear posted:

This. The Kingdom episode was the only episode I genuinely enjoyed in season 7. Even before he eased up in front of Carol, I could tell without any background knowledge of the character from the comics (I used to actively try and avoid it; now I just don't care) that it was an act, and everyone was playing along because, up to a certain point, it was working really well for them. Despite the act, Ezekiel actually was a pretty competent leader and kept his people pretty well taken care of, and the RenFair act eased/raised a lot of spirits in a somber, desolate existence.

The tiger idea wasn't inherently dumb, but the way it was implemented was. Given the comic book source and how much up to that point in the series required a certain suspension of belief, I can see him saving a tiger and that tiger just happened to be perceptive and patient enough to follow him until he's able to establish a community. It's not super believable but whatever. It had potential. What was dumb was having Zeke bringing the tiger around with him - not only in front of unfamiliar crowds, but into battle - where her behavior would have been incredibly unpredictable. In fact, in the battle scenes, I don't think she would have attacked anyone she was supposed to. I kind of think she would have just ran away, or gotten flustered/frenzied and attacked her own.

Shiva should have just been The Kingdom's mascot and nothing more.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 19, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Where's that gif of Negan magically going from tied up with piano wire to holding a gun and flare with Jadis' pictures nicely arranged?

We finally cut the non-internet cord. Thankfully I will not have to endure this poo poo any longer.
(Who am I kidding, AMC has streaming on Roku)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I assume the loving tiger was a suspension of disbelief-breaker to anyone who has ever owned a cat.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Much obliged.

I literally cannot recall anything at all that happened between that scene and rick saying "save him".

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

PHALANX OUT (walk in a group in the low part of a wide open field)

https://i.imgur.com/5bFJKZr.gifv

this scene was good too

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

this scene was good too

Oh poo poo it is all flooding back. Better gif is the one with Rick muzzle sweeping everyone.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Hasselblad posted:

Oh poo poo it is all flooding back. Better gif is the one with Rick muzzle sweeping everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/9LC4d0l.mp4

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-19/inside-amc-networks-plan-to-make-walking-dead-live-forever

You can't kill what's already dead!

quote:

AMC Networks Inc. wants to keep “The Walking Dead” on its feet for years to come.

The company, which owns the popular zombie-apocalypse series, plans to produce multiple movies and new TV shows based on the graphic novels that spawned the series, according to people familiar with the plans. AMC has talked to several large media companies about partnering on the projects, which collectively could cost several hundred million dollars, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are still being worked out.

quote:

Scott Gimple, who produced several seasons of “The Walking Dead,” is overseeing development of different narrative possibilities. He was named chief content officer for both “The Walking Dead” and its prequel “Fear the Walking Dead” in January.

WELL THIS SHOULD BE GREAT THEN! :unsmigghh:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

The only saving grace is that at the end, Jadis did drop the act.

That name came from the CS Lewis novels, for those who didn't know

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The whole "let's settle this in the middle of a field!!!" with all the bullshit plot mechanics and gun unsafety and all the other terrible things going on is more or less we_ran_out_of_budget.mpg. Making any of that convincing or sensible requires some off-screen talent that the show simply does not pay for.

What they did pay for is one of the all-time stupidest scenes of anything in TV history.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How did they even get to that field? I literally remember nothing from that finale except for mt's gifs, which I think is a blessing

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Johnny Truant posted:

How did they even get to that field? I literally remember nothing from that finale except for mt's gifs, which I think is a blessing

Negan leaves false intel to lure them into an open field so he can gun them down. Our "heroes" figure out it's a trap ahead of time and [i[Rick no poo poo tells everyone they're going to walk into the trap anyway and hope for the best[/i]. Even more, no one questions his brilliant strategy of "willingly march our entire army into the kill-zone to die".

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Negan leaves false intel to lure them into an open field so he can gun them down. Our "heroes" figure out it's a trap ahead of time and [i[Rick no poo poo tells everyone they're going to walk into the trap anyway and hope for the best[/i]. Even more, no one questions his brilliant strategy of "willingly march our entire army into the kill-zone to die".

Literally the only reason they were not totally wiped out was because of Eugene making every bullet wrong, and not a single person out of the 100+ they show in that lineup knowing enough about guns to realize something was off about the bullets.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

:discourse:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Oh no! Not the dumpster gazebo!!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

galagazombie posted:

ah, hm, yeah that sounds on-par for TWD intelligence levels, both of the characters and the writers.

gotta love those ex machina solutions for this show's problems.

JossiRossi posted:

Literally the only reason they were not totally wiped out was because of Eugene making every bullet wrong, and not a single person out of the 100+ they show in that lineup knowing enough about guns to realize something was off about the bullets.

yeah and it kills/completely incapacitates all of them EXCEPT negan.

i would've regained respect for this show if the savoiurs really did just slaughter all of Rick & Co. :sigh:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Johnny Truant posted:

ah, hm, yeah that sounds on-par for TWD intelligence levels, both of the characters and the writers.

My favorite part was that Rick brought their sole remaining doctor/medic to the open field fight.

E: I should reword because yes you would want a medic there. Rick brought him and put him on the front line. I think he’s standing next to Rick when he’s waving his weapon toward his own people.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 22, 2018

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

LadyPictureShow posted:

My favorite part was that Rick brought their sole remaining doctor/medic to the open field fight.

Where else would he be able to treat his own exit wounds?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Sodomy Hussein posted:

That's basically the reason the show has declined to season 1 viewing numbers. Rick has gone insane and become Evil Rick like what, three times now? His supporting cast of stupid idiots is just relentlessly cycled in and out and the storytelling is getting weaker and weaker, with a shrinking budget as well.

Rick has done the whole Naive idiot -> Serial killer -> Naive idiot cycle like 20 times by now. Morgan is sort of the same except that they've made it very clear that something is legit wrong with Morgan in the head, whereas Rick is just... indecisive. Moody?

lovely?

Btw, is black highlander still in effect or...? From what I recall doctor highlander has been in full force every season.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Yes, this will surely fix the show and bring the viewers back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

moist turtleneck posted:

Yes, this will surely fix the show and bring the viewers back

To be fair it's got the least memorable theme tune of any of the prestige dramas, I couldn't hum it and I even watched like 3 seasons back to back so heard it tonnes in a week.