Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sexpig by night posted:

It feels like the hindsight is more 'why did we even get involved with military 'support' to begin with

A series of UN Security Council resolutions supported by a wide variety of countries? Duh? Hell the French were the first ones to engage in combat operations even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

A series of UN Security Council resolutions supported by a wide variety of countries? Duh? Hell the French were the first ones to engage in combat operations even.

well if the french are doing it it can't be imperialist

Jurgan posted:

Thanks for answering directly. I do like PSA, but I sometimes worry about epistemic closure (i.e., if your news sources are too narrow you start to get locked into certain modes of thinking), so I appreciate sincere, non-trolling criticism.

When you say turn "against supporting dictators and towards actually supporting democracy," though, I agree with it in principle but in practice I'm not sure how we "support" democracy without falling into that same habit of soft imperialism.

Very good point. Unfortunately, Trump and Bolton are putting Venezuela at the center of the conversation whether we want it to be or not.

You can support democracy by just saying 'we support democratic governments' and handling diplomacy accordingly, it doesn't have to be some dramatic 'we're gonna give your enemies guns and sanction you into death' it can just be 'yea we have no interest in making government contracts with, say, a kingdom ruled by theocratic despots who routinely carry out abuses against their own people.'

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sexpig by night posted:

well if the french are doing it it can't be imperialist

Surely one of your favorite anti-imperialist countries would have voted against it if it was so imperialist?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The UN Security Council resolution authorizing the no-fly zone was originally proposed by Lebanon.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, I mean, if the guy can walk away scot-free from trying to frame the former Director of the FBI with false sexual assault allegations then the sky's the limit, right?

Must be nice to be a rich white male.

Don't forget that he got a slap on the wrist for committing fraud a couple years ago.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

James Garfield posted:

The UN Security Council resolution authorizing the no-fly zone was originally proposed by Lebanon.

And the US were powerless to stop them, a pity.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The United States should be more isolationist than it is. It shouldn't be the world's police.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the united states is ruled by a faction that has like 25 percent support.

to bomb, pillage, usurp we give the name democracy. we make a desert and call it freedom.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tucker update

https://mobile.twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1106125514572484614

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1105987169510928388

https://twitter.com/SalHernandez/status/1076294994993053696

quote:

An analysis by Samba TV found that Carlson had 39 advertisers on the Monday before the tapes uncovered by Media Matters made big headlines, and just 14 advertisers the day after, TheWrap reported.On Wednesday, Fox News reps pleaded with advertisers to stick it out. 

“We know there is a lot of noise out there, but the voice of a few shouldn’t prevent you from marketing your brands to millions of consumers who actually buy your products and services,” Marianne Gambelli, the network’s head of advertising, said at a presentation to sponsors, per the Los Angeles Times.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

fishmech posted:

Surely one of your favorite anti-imperialist countries would have voted against it if it was so imperialist?

5 of them abstained on the basis that the consequences of intervention hadn't been adequately analyzed and they turned out to be right.

James Garfield posted:

Speaking for the Arab League. Assad and the Saudis, well-known for their antiimperialism and concern for civilian life, right?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jurgan posted:

The Libya thing was sort of a snowball effect- it started as military support to prevent Quaddafi from committing genocide; regime change wasn't the objective but it's what ended up happening.

lol that's 100% bullshit. france and the uk wanted qaddafi gone and replaced with a puppet to give bp and total sa exclusive contracts for unexplored oil and gas reserves, and more arms deals with france who was the top weapons exporter to libya after the eu lifted their embargo in the early 2000s. they pressured the un on the diplomatic front and later got obama to act as their mercenary

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have 2 MyPillows I got from my conservative sister as gifts and now i know why.

PS, I hate them. I just toss them to the side.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol that's 100% bullshit. france and the uk wanted qaddafi gone and replaced with a puppet to give bp and total sa exclusive contracts for unexplored oil and gas reserves, and more arms deals with france who was the top weapons exporter to libya after the eu lifted their embargo in the early 2000s. they pressured the un on the diplomatic front and later got obama to act as their mercenary

But have you considered the political calculus of regime change and promoting democracy via sodomizing gaddafi with a bayonet and the introduction of open air slave markets?????

In conclusion, [regime change in] Libya is a land of contrasts.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

I have 2 MyPillows I got from my conservative sister as gifts and now i know why.

leave them there as monuments to your confederates

Niwrad posted:

Must be nice to be a rich white male.

Don't forget that he got a slap on the wrist for committing fraud a couple years ago.

He got permanently banned from futures trading and was ordered to pay restitution to his clients.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

5 of them abstained on the basis that the consequences of intervention hadn't been adequately analyzed and they turned out to be right.

And any of the permanent members in that group could have vetoed it if they actually thought it was a bad idea. That's a core concept of the security council. Hell one of the temporary members could have even registered a vote against without canceling the resolution, if they wished to send a message that they actively disapproved instead of just not wanting to participate.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

I have two MyPillows that I bought years ago (before I was aware he was a chud), and I absolutely love them. It bums me out that I can't in good faith recommend them to people anymore, but I wouldn't even repurchase them if they fell apart.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I have two MyPillows that I bought years ago (before I was aware he was a chud), and I absolutely love them. It bums me out that I can't in good faith recommend them to people anymore, but I wouldn't even repurchase them if they fell apart.

You should record a video of yourself destroying them, that'll show him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exploded mummy posted:

leave them there as monuments to your confederates

He got permanently banned from futures trading and was ordered to pay restitution to his clients.

Yeah a slap on the wrist for someone with wealthy parents. "Oh no, futures trading is closed off to me and Dad had to pay out some money to the people I screwed over!"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jurgan posted:

You should record a video of yourself destroying them, that'll show him.

Off-topic, but: did you just get that avatar, or did I only somehow just notice it now?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I'm always annoyed when I see poo poo like this because it ignore the agency of people in whatever country in favor of furthering their own narrative.

Libya was already in the middle of a civil war before there was any western intervention. There was never going to be a good end to the situation. The best case scenario for non intervention was Qaddafi crushing the rebels quickly, thousands of dead and a brutal dictator stays in power. Far more likely to my mind is the war dragging out, leading to far more death, far more destruction and in the end either Qaddafi hangs on to power, or the rebels win and we're in the same situation as we are now only worse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I had to talk a relative out of trying to get me a MyPillow for Christmas, though I could have just as easily said “it’s because the guy who runs the company is a massive chud” and that excuse probably would have flown too. They sell them in local bedding shops where I live and it’s alway weird to walk past one on a real store shelf.

Also from the commercials where they show them being made, they look like they’d be rear end to sleep on anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

I had to talk a relative out of trying to get me a MyPillow for Christmas, though I could have just as easily said “it’s because the guy who runs the company is a massive chud” and that excuse probably would have flown too. They sell them in local bedding shops where I live and it’s alway weird to walk past one on a real store shelf.

Also from the commercials where they show them being made, they look like they’d be rear end to sleep on anyway.

I find them incredibly weird. Like you feel all the different sized pieces of foam or whatever. It feels like putting my head down on a pile of socks or something.

I like having something on my side so they serve that purpose well enough, but I'm buying new pillows before I start using the mypillows as my primary ones.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

mojo1701a posted:

Off-topic, but: did you just get that avatar, or did I only somehow just notice it now?

Just got it. I liked my old “last visible dog” gif, but there was a blow-up in the political cartoons thread a few days ago that culminated in someone buying a bunch of us swastika avatars, so I took the opportunity to change to something new.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Aren't there other manufacturers of pillows filled with shredded memory foam anyways?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How is there not a pillow stuffed with shredded pieces of the Constitution?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

PJOmega posted:

How is there not a pillow stuffed with shredded pieces of the Constitution?

That's Trumpy Bear you're thinking of.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

And any of the permanent members in that group could have vetoed it if they actually thought it was a bad idea. That's a core concept of the security council. Hell one of the temporary members could have even registered a vote against without canceling the resolution, if they wished to send a message that they actively disapproved instead of just not wanting to participate.

Wow yeah why didn't famed anti-imperialist nations the United States, the United Kingdom, France, the Russian Federation, or the People's Republic of China kill a resolution to kick over another oil-rich country, that proves it was a great idea.

Wait poo poo, okay how about this why didn't Brazil cast a pointless vote against instead of a pointless abstention, obviously that means it was a fine plan, just ignore that the reasoning for the abstention turned out to be 100% correct, that just means reality is wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

Wow yeah why didn't famed anti-imperialist nations the United States, the United Kingdom, France, the Russian Federation, or the People's Republic of China kill a resolution to kick over another oil-rich country, that proves it was a great idea.

Wait poo poo, okay how about this why didn't Brazil cast a pointless vote against instead of a pointless abstention, obviously that means it was a fine plan, just ignore that the reasoning for the abstention turned out to be 100% correct, that just means reality is wrong.

Care to rephrase this into something coherent?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

fishmech posted:

Care to rephrase this into something coherent?

It was very coherent, read it again if you must. Try reading slower maybe?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/aravosis/status/1106275780957532160

loving Weekly Standard

quote:

In a climate where political harassment is a real problem, the actions of Wohl have hurt real victims. Wohl should be prosecuted for this reason, as well as because he clearly wasted the valuable time of Minneapolis law enforcement. Liberal or conservative, it’s important for all of us to unite and condemn Wohl’s actions. That way, the next time some idiotic narcissist is tempted to fake an attack for attention, maybe he or she will decide against it and just post a selfie on Instagram like a normal person instead.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

You can almost hear the radio static coming from his vacant nitwit gaze.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

STAC Goat posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with those things? What do you hate about them? Seems to me like it's just a stupid way to re-brand a simple product and convince people it's revolutionary. Sort of like the Snuggie and all those other "as seen on TV" food choppers and poo poo.

I mean, the science of the pillow is fairly established and worked out by now, isn't it? I own several and some are better than others but...mostly they're just pillows.

Then again, conservatives are so loving weird they seem to need a conservative version of every loving thing since they're all so weird about poo poo. Are there conservative socks? I should get on that. Make some money.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
Buckle up, a Republican woman female joined the liberals in voting down trump's declaration of emergency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/us/politics/senate-vote-trump-national-emergency.html

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with those things? What do you hate about them? Seems to me like it's just a stupid way to re-brand a simple product and convince people it's revolutionary. Sort of like the Snuggie and all those other "as seen on TV" food choppers and poo poo.

I mean, the science of the pillow is fairly established and worked out by now, isn't it? I own several and some are better than others but...mostly they're just pillows.

Then again, conservatives are so loving weird they seem to need a conservative version of every loving thing since they're all so weird about poo poo. Are there conservative socks? I should get on that. Make some money.

They're stuffed with some kind of torn up styrofoam or something instead of other things? Different pillows have different innards and MyPillow claims to have a patented style. I personally find the feel of them very uncomfortable. When I touch the pillow or put my head down I can feel the pieces of foam. The intent I guess is that its supposed to conform to you and then spring back? To its credit it does spring back, but I never get it comfortable.

To each their own. I don't think there's any kind of uniform "sleep comfort" for everyone so for some people I don't doubt its nice. I just don't like them.

And I was just commenting that I now know why my conservative sister gave them to me, because she's always buying and gifting stuff like that. Her Christmas gift to me this year was a book that argued something like Democrats are responsible for racist Republicans because they made them be racist by embracing identity politics and betrayed the party of Andrew Jackson. Sometimes its just less obvious and I have to figure out why she bought me a bag of Barilla pasta (because the owner said he didn't want gay people eating his pasta or something).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Got to hear a bunch of Trump supporters today on Fox News radio talk about how AOC sounds so dumb, she sounds like she's a child, just can't speak properly at all.

It's a good thing nobody has found a way to harness irony as a weapon because I'm pretty sure that one would destroy the entire galaxy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From what I saw Fox News spent a significant part of its day today mocking Beto O'Rourke for moving his hands too much. They had an odd day ignoring Manafort, Stone, and Senate rebuke news.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

STAC Goat posted:

From what I saw Fox News spent a significant part of its day today mocking Beto O'Rourke for moving his hands too much. They had an odd day ignoring Manafort, Stone, and Senate rebuke news.

I tuned over to one of their god awful panel shows and some lady was literally yelling "BETA, HE'S GOT BETA ENERGY! BETA O'ROURKE" and I just noped out

Fox is v. normal

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I mean they're professionals, you'd think they'd at least go with Beta O'Cuck.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1106161225233108994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

STAC Goat posted:

They're stuffed with some kind of torn up styrofoam or something instead of other things? Different pillows have different innards and MyPillow claims to have a patented style. I personally find the feel of them very uncomfortable. When I touch the pillow or put my head down I can feel the pieces of foam. The intent I guess is that its supposed to conform to you and then spring back? To its credit it does spring back, but I never get it comfortable.

To each their own. I don't think there's any kind of uniform "sleep comfort" for everyone so for some people I don't doubt its nice. I just don't like them.

And I was just commenting that I now know why my conservative sister gave them to me, because she's always buying and gifting stuff like that. Her Christmas gift to me this year was a book that argued something like Democrats are responsible for racist Republicans because they made them be racist by embracing identity politics and betrayed the party of Andrew Jackson. Sometimes its just less obvious and I have to figure out why she bought me a bag of Barilla pasta (because the owner said he didn't want gay people eating his pasta or something).

Jesus christ dude, your sister is throwing all kinds of shade at you and you're just taking it like the goat man. :sever: