Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I own and have read understanding exposure I just thought it would be fun to have assignments to shoot again like in high school(god I miss film and the darkroom). Like work on long exposure, water, shoot the sky or whatever. When I saw the posted professor was "famous" I immediately thought of the conclusion you seem to support that she would have the class shoot in her style and I am not about that for more than few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

I own and have read understanding exposure I just thought it would be fun to have assignments to shoot again like in high school(god I miss film and the darkroom). Like work on long exposure, water, shoot the sky or whatever. When I saw the posted professor was "famous" I immediately thought of the conclusion you seem to support that she would have the class shoot in her style and I am not about that for more than few weeks.

Oh, well if you're looking to branch out then it will probably be a good experience. Is she on any of those rate my professor sites so you can see if she's that kind of teacher?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When it comes to stuff like shooting live events, aside from the basic stuff like shutter, aperture and composition, there's no replacement for experience. To be good at shooting a particular sport or event, you have to learn how to anticipate, look for cues and learn what makes an effective image and what style works for you. A class can help with this, but ultimately you'll have to go out there and try, fail and try again until you succeed.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HPL posted:

When it comes to stuff like shooting live events, aside from the basic stuff like shutter, aperture and composition, there's no replacement for experience. To be good at shooting a particular sport or event, you have to learn how to anticipate, look for cues and learn what makes an effective image and what style works for you. A class can help with this, but ultimately you'll have to go out there and try, fail and try again until you succeed.

Some photographer (it might have been McNally) said he practices by sitting on his couch with a long lens and taking pictures of football on TV. Which probably isn't nearly as dumb as it sounds in terms of getting a feel for where you're going to want to point your camera.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

SoundMonkey posted:

Some photographer (it might have been McNally) said he practices by sitting on his couch with a long lens and taking pictures of football on TV. Which probably isn't nearly as dumb as it sounds in terms of getting a feel for where you're going to want to point your camera.

That's a ..good idea, never thought of that. Definitely hesitated on it at first.

edit: spelling

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 15, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SKULE123 posted:

That's a ..good idea, never thought of that. Definitely hestitated on it at first.

Well, and you should probably also learn to shoot with both eyes open. That can take a bit of getting used to.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

Well, and you should probably also learn to shoot with both eyes open. That can take a bit of getting used to.

Definitely less eye-fatigue. Everyone should have learned that from biology when mucking about with microscopes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

geeves posted:

Definitely less eye-fatigue. Everyone should have learned that from biology when mucking about with microscopes.

I'm pretty sure I'm inflicting permanent brain damage doing that little... maneuver... you have to do in your head to switch eyes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, you're keeping your brain in tip top shape doing that. You may have a spare tire concealing your abs but your visual cortex is loving ripped.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently very much enjoying Kitchen Confidential by Bordain. Is there a sex, drugs and L-glass equivalent for the photog world? Maybe a little less cocaine use and a little more slogging through war torn landscapes and soggy jungles.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
If there isn't, we should just make one up with MORE sex, MORE cocaine, MORE musings about being a professional photographer, and I guess some stuff about wars or whatever.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

SoundMonkey posted:

Except that you're already framing your shot within however the cameraman framed it so it's not like you're looking at a big limitless view trying to find a subject.

squidflakes posted:

If there isn't, we should just make one up with MORE sex, MORE cocaine, MORE musings about being a professional photographer

Does Terry Richardson have an autobiography out yet? There's a guy who took what worked and ran through walls with it like Kool-Aid Man.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
"He woke up, rolling several splayed prostitutes off the bed, kicking up clouds of cocaine. Something wasn't right. He had known something was up because of his 17 tours of vietnafghaniraq. There were terrorists afoot.

Danger Sexaperture sighed as he drew his Leica."

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

HPL posted:

Except that you're already framing your shot within however the cameraman framed it so it's not like you're looking at a big limitless view trying to find a subject.

Does Terry Richardson have an autobiography out yet? There's a guy who took what worked and ran through walls with it like Kool-Aid Man.

EXTREMELY NSFW
http://oldterry.tumblr.com/
EXTREMELY NSFW

It's not even a good NSFW, lots of pictures of Terry Richardson getting blown by transexual prostitutes.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Paragon8 posted:

EXTREMELY NSFW
EXTREMELY NSFW

It's not even a good NSFW, lots of pictures of Terry Richardson getting blown by transexual prostitutes.

:stare:
Maybe I'll just re-read Fear and Loathing then.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

EXTREMELY NSFW
EXTREMELY NSFW

How is his dick not swiss cheese.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

More than a few times I have seen the phrase "painters don't worry about the brushes they use" bandied about by the anti-gear crowd (which can be as annoying as the gear crowd) on photo forums. Well, I submit Evidence A: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489916

Really does not take much to make the transition:

quote:

Many artists here on Wet Canvas have highly recommended Silver Brush Grand Prix brushes. John Howard Sanden also recommends them, and so I purchased a few.
This week I painted with them and was very disappointed that the bristle hairs separated and I couldn't get them back into shape. I ended up cutting two hairs off one of the brushes. Needless to say I will not purchase any brushes made by Silver Brush in the future.

Could just as easily be:

quote:

Many artists here on Photoforum have highly recommended Sigma lenses. Thom Hogan also recommends them, and so I purchased a few.

This week I shot with them and was very disappointed that the focus was off and they had terrible CA. I ended up correcting the CA in post. Needless to say I will not purchase any lenses made by Sigma in the future.

Or

quote:

I commenced oil painting under the occasional tutelege of an elderly Laguna Beach knife painter two+ years ago. One late afternoon, a sizeable family walked into the gallery, the grande matriarch perusing the displayed works. Seconds later, casting judgement, she remarked to her brood, "What 'magical brushes' this artist uses"!!
We had a great laugh after they departed, these were 100% knife works done by this artist instructor. To this day, I'm still seeking those "magical brushes", please, let me know when they're found. The gallery artist had the last laugh by exclaiming, "'Magical brushes!' ... After-all, it has NOTHING to do with the person behind them...!!

into

quote:

I commenced large format photography under the occasional tutelege of an elderly Laguna Beach LF shooter two+ years ago. One late afternoon, a sizeable family walked into the gallery, the grande matriarch perusing the displayed works. Seconds later, casting judgement, she remarked to her brood, "What 'high MP medium format back' this artist uses"!!
We had a great laugh after they departed, these were 100% 8x10 contact prints done by this artist instructor. To this day, I'm still seeking those "high MP backs", please, let me know when they're found. The gallery artist had the last laugh by exclaiming, "'high MP backs!' ... After-all, it has NOTHING to do with the person behind them...!!

I feel we can really make a meta-forum to just debate the tools of artists, the actual discussion never seems to change much.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 15, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

More than a few times I have seen the phrase "painters don't worry about the brushes they use" bandied about by the anti-gear crowd (which can be as annoying as the gear crowd) on photo forums. Well, I submit Evidence A: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489916

Wait did anyone ever think that was actually a legit thing to say?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

Wait did anyone ever think that was actually a legit thing to say?

You have not been to many photo forums have you?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the problem is that both sides of the debate spend too much time talking about it on the internet instead of going out and creating.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

the problem is that both sides of the debate spend too much time talking about it on the internet instead of going out and creating.

The people who tend to sit around debating on either side are probably the ones least likely to be doing any creating in the first place, so the loss to society is likely a small one.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You have not been to many photo forums have you?

Why would you ever want to go to another forum when you have a great, diverse, minimally circle-jerky community right here?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

Have you seen the upload statistics for flickr, and I guess these days, instagram?

Less creation is exactly what needs to happen. :v:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Why would you ever want to go to another forum when you have a great, diverse, minimally circle-jerky community right here?

Well, speaking for myself, moderating one with 35k users is reason enough.

And it's fairly entertaining, you'd have to admit. Until you start bashing your head into the brick wall someone was just using to test their new purchase.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, speaking for myself, moderating one with 35k users is reason enough.

That sounds hellish.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

That sounds hellish.

I've seen some poo poo, man...

...in my post history.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

That sounds hellish.

Let me add that it is 90% very green camera users.

Yes, hell.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Have you seen the upload statistics for flickr, and I guess these days, instagram?

Less creation is exactly what needs to happen. :v:

I'd rather people enjoy the hobby of taking pictures even if it is just what we consider garbage than focusing on sharpness charts

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Paragon8 posted:

EXTREMELY NSFW
EXTREMELY NSFW

I think it's pretty good NSFW.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

You. I like you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think a better analogy would be "shitposters don't care what kind of keyboards they make their lovely posts from". (Now someone will link a forum where bad posters argue about whether or not you need an IBM model M to properly post badly on the internet.)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think with photography more so than other means of creative expression/art the whole gear discussion is a bit more impactful because of how technical and varied the tools are. Okay fine you can talk about different grades of paint brush or paints but with cameras and lenses there is more of an objective difference.

I've known people at both ends of the spectrum but my gut feeling is that the better photographers will always be creative first and technical second. I do think it can be understated by the "it's the photographer not the camera crowd" that it is important to have a degree of technical proficiency.

To a photographer cameras, lighting, lenses, post production are all tools. It's important to know how to use them efficiently and effectively to achieve your vision. The thing about the internet that a lot of photographers tend to be camera hobbyists - now that in itself is fine even though it sounds super pejorative . People like sophisticated technology and having "the best" and with the internet people love comparing e-peen. Unfortunately these people are the most vocal on the internet.

so yeah tl;dr - some people overestimate the importance of gear, some people underestimate the importance of gear - just go out and take pictures.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think a lot of it is fueled by people who get into photography because cameras are shiny technological objects. Not that people can't grow out of that phase or even create good work despite a gear fetish. It is more uncommon to see some one get into painting because they saw a brush in a store and thought it looked cool. I'm not gonna lie when I first started out I had only minimal interest in "creating", needed a hobby, happened to pick up a copy of Popular Photography and thought "this looks cool".

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-samurai posted:

I think a better analogy would be "shitposters don't care what kind of keyboards they make their lovely posts from". (Now someone will link a forum where bad posters argue about whether or not you need an IBM model M to properly post badly on the internet.)

I do all my shitposting with a mechanical keyboard. The tactile experience is definitely worth it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I'm just going to take pictures of camera gear from now on. Cause I'm creative.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

I think a lot of it is fueled by people who get into photography because cameras are shiny technological objects. Not that people can't grow out of that phase or even create good work despite a gear fetish. It is more uncommon to see some one get into painting because they saw a brush in a store and thought it looked cool. I'm not gonna lie when I first started out I had only minimal interest in "creating", needed a hobby, happened to pick up a copy of Popular Photography and thought "this looks cool".

Yeah exactly. And if that person enjoys what they're doing it's fine. It just gets lovely when they try and push their perspective onto other people.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's why I love things like Pro Tog, Cheap Camera where you slap a dude like The Strobist with a 2MP camera and watch him rock it. Granted, the guy normally pushes that sort of thinking with "gently caress it, tape a cereal box to your flash" but point still stands.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

8th-samurai posted:

It is more uncommon to see some one get into painting because they saw a brush in a store and thought it looked cool.
Find me a brush that makes you look like this

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

I'm just going to take pictures of camera gear from now on. Cause I'm creative.

I'm going to shoot nothing but paint brushes. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

ahmeni posted:

I'm currently very much enjoying Kitchen Confidential by Bordain. Is there a sex, drugs and L-glass equivalent for the photog world? Maybe a little less cocaine use and a little more slogging through war torn landscapes and soggy jungles.

helmacron posts

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Let me add that it is 90% very green camera users.

Yes, hell.

which is it? im sure its not as painful as reading pentaxforums.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 16, 2013