Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This looks pretty good, is it well made? One thing that attracted me to the Das Keyboard was its anodized aluminum construction. This looks kinda plasticky but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, how come all of these mechanical keyboards are wired? Is it really for latency reasons?

Isn't the Das just a sheet of aluminum over a plastic cover? I think that's actually worse than just having matte black plastic for the faceplate.

WASD is Costar which is (I think) plate-mounted switches like the Das. I don't remember if the plate is aluminum or steel but it's considered one of the "good" designs at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008
A friend of mine gifted me my first mechanical keyboard last week - one of the Logitech G710s that Best Buy was unloading for $50 - and I'm interested in picking up some o-rings for it. What should I get and where should I get them?

I haven't pulled any of the keys yet but it's my understanding that it comes with o-rings already on it, but I was looking for something to dampen the sound more if possible.

Stoomie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 12, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ColHannibal posted:

Supposed 99 % isopropal will take that off with a little elbow greese.

I have the Miamis and can confirm this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just ordered a WASD in Mac layout with clears, thanks goons!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I just soldered LEDs on my 1st batch pok3r. I have no idea why they even bothered to sell these without LEDs. All of the hardware, including resistors and the little transistors/gates are already on the board but they just didn't put them on and instead covered the holes in solder so I had to get rid of that crap first :argh:

Looks good with the Miami set though.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Stoomie posted:

A friend of mine gifted me my first mechanical keyboard last week - one of the Logitech G710s that Best Buy was unloading for $50 - and I'm interested in picking up some o-rings for it. What should I get and where should I get them?

I haven't pulled any of the keys yet but it's my understanding that it comes with o-rings already on it, but I was looking for something to dampen the sound more if possible.
There's few sellers on Ebay. They're so cheap you might as well get two packs with different thicknesses just to see what they're like.

Personally, I got some O-rings but decided they weren't worth it for Brown switches because they didn't reduce the sound at all (which is mostly from the bottoming out) and just made the keys feel bleagh.

But as I said they're about the cheapest mod you can get so they're worth a try.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just want to say thanks for the goons that recommended cherry reds. They are so satisfying. I've never used anything but a stock keyboard before and I literally can pretend to type poo poo just to enjoy the feedback from the keys. Glad it's for my home PC though, because I'm sure it would annoy the gently caress out of anyone nearby.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
I have typed on reds for the last 3 years and I'd say I'm as quiet on them now as on a membrane board :) once you get used to the actuation point you can fly across them without bottoming out and it owns. Favourite switch for me by far, with blacks a close second.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

Just want to say thanks for the goons that recommended cherry reds. They are so satisfying. I've never used anything but a stock keyboard before and I literally can pretend to type poo poo just to enjoy the feedback from the keys. Glad it's for my home PC though, because I'm sure it would annoy the gently caress out of anyone nearby.

Somebody put this guy's name on the list of non tactile users so we can remember to shame him for making the wrong choice.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Some of us don't need constant feedback to know we're kicking rear end :c00l:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

ColHannibal posted:

Somebody put this guy's name on the list of non tactile users so we can remember to shame him for making the wrong choice.
What one does in the privacy of their own home is their own business.

I think I'll try out a Clear board sometime next year. I'll wait for those ridiculous Top Gun caps to turn up first, though. (Less than two months away now!)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I just looked these up and wow.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Can anyone speak to how good the 2016 K70 RGB is? I've been eyeing it lately, and am basically just wondering if $170 is too much to pay for what seems like a solid, if a little gaudy, keyboard.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
They're good.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I can't find it via google and checking back in the thread isn't returning much, but I remember a site being posted with a Pok3r-sized keyboard that you could have customized in any number of weird ways - the layout of the keys themselves, switch type, keycap, finish etc. It looked really cool, but I might've just been jazzing myself up on the interface. Was it a legit keyboard or some gimmicky poo poo? (It's not by WASD, as much as google thinks it is).

Aside from getting curious about that, I'm thinking about trying out a red switch keyboard for my gaming setup. I have a keytester so I know what I'm getting myself into, but does anyone have any reccs for good boards that use reds? I'm currently using a G710+ with browns at home (but I rarely use any of the other features like macros n poo poo).

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Any Corsair board will come in Reds

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
E: NVM

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 15, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I can't find it via google and checking back in the thread isn't returning much, but I remember a site being posted with a Pok3r-sized keyboard that you could have customized in any number of weird ways - the layout of the keys themselves, switch type, keycap, finish etc. It looked really cool, but I might've just been jazzing myself up on the interface. Was it a legit keyboard or some gimmicky poo poo? (It's not by WASD, as much as google thinks it is).

Aside from getting curious about that, I'm thinking about trying out a red switch keyboard for my gaming setup. I have a keytester so I know what I'm getting myself into, but does anyone have any reccs for good boards that use reds? I'm currently using a G710+ with browns at home (but I rarely use any of the other features like macros n poo poo).

http://www.guru-board.com/ . Progress sometimes posted at http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/miniguru-progress-t7545.html .

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Just stopping by to say thanks for recommending the WASD Code with clears. It's my favorite keyboard I've ever owned, and is really satisfying to type on. Y'all know your stuff -- I thought I would only use it when blues were too loud, but I've pretty much switched it exclusively.

I think I'm starting to see the appeal of a keyboard collection.... which might be a problem.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm looking for a general purpose keyboard that will see a fair amount of gaming as well as work and play.

I got so excited when I came across reviews of the Corsair K70s with the Cherry MX Blue switches. The board was beautiful, it was well reviewed, and it had the combo of click and tactile feedback I love. Alas, it's discontinued due to apparent issues with the RGB blues. Right now I use the Das Ultimate (not sure which revision, maybe 2 or 3) and I like the keys very much. I know it's not considered 'best' for gaming but I press hard and don't play RTS/MOBA where I'll be slamming a key over and over so I don't mind the slight trade-off. I want noise and feedback above all else.

All I've found that seems to fit the bill is the Razer Blackwidow Chroma with the Razer Green switches. It's not as well reviewed as the K70 but it looks like the only thing that will do what I want.

Are there any other viable alternatives?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Huh? Unless they changed their preview and stopped taking orders, this isn't it - I remember building up a keyboard and it giving me the price along the way.

Like, I think by default the key layout was a straight-up grid instead of offset, and you could add and remove keys and such.

Edit: Found it! It's The Planck, but it looks like I just missed a Massdrop and it's currently savaging their shipping times. :sigh:

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 15, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

foutre posted:

Just stopping by to say thanks for recommending the Code with greens. It's my favorite keyboard I've ever owned, and is really satisfying to type on. Y'all know your stuff -- I thought I would only use it when blues were too quiet, but I've pretty much switched it exclusively.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

foutre posted:

Just stopping by to say thanks for recommending the WASD Code with clears. It's my favorite keyboard I've ever owned, and is really satisfying to type on. Y'all know your stuff -- I thought I would only use it when blues were too loud, but I've pretty much switched it exclusively.

I think I'm starting to see the appeal of a keyboard collection.... which might be a problem.

Expensive hobby unfortunately.

I'm happy enough with mine that I haven't thought about buying another for a while now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm looking for a general purpose keyboard that will see a fair amount of gaming as well as work and play.

I got so excited when I came across reviews of the Corsair K70s with the Cherry MX Blue switches. The board was beautiful, it was well reviewed, and it had the combo of click and tactile feedback I love. Alas, it's discontinued due to apparent issues with the RGB blues. Right now I use the Das Ultimate (not sure which revision, maybe 2 or 3) and I like the keys very much. I know it's not considered 'best' for gaming but I press hard and don't play RTS/MOBA where I'll be slamming a key over and over so I don't mind the slight trade-off. I want noise and feedback above all else.

All I've found that seems to fit the bill is the Razer Blackwidow Chroma with the Razer Green switches. It's not as well reviewed as the K70 but it looks like the only thing that will do what I want.

Are there any other viable alternatives?

Wasd with blues for non backlit and code for backlit.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Everybody just needs to skip right to the end and either 1) buy a pcb and case and solder their leds and switches, then pick out some caps or 2) design a layout, get a plate cut, manually wire up your switches to your controller (teensy most likely) and build your own case as well. Then get caps.

I did 1 and am working on 2.

Please kill me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ColHannibal posted:

Wasd with blues for non backlit and code for backlit.

Not having media keys is a killer. :smith:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Your not really telling us what you want besides mx-blue so I can only throw things against the wall.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Huh? Unless they changed their preview and stopped taking orders, this isn't it - I remember building up a keyboard and it giving me the price along the way.

Like, I think by default the key layout was a straight-up grid instead of offset, and you could add and remove keys and such.

Edit: Found it! It's The Planck, but it looks like I just missed a Massdrop and it's currently savaging their shipping times. :sigh:

Well I guess I can't always be right.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

~Coxy posted:

The WASD has media keys, they're not dedicated but you can flip the switch on the back to function-home and all of those keys function as media keys. I actually am pretty happy with how they work.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I went and picked up my CODE from Wasd today since they're local. Really nice keyboard A+ would buy again

Carbon caps from massdrop should get here next week :getin:

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I ended up ordering the razer blackwidow chroma. Amazon has them on backorder so I'll swing by best buy and test their proprietary switches to see how they feel. The wasd wasn't an option because they're not rgb backlit. I know it's a gimmick but I really like the color choices.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Are any of these under $50 yet, or is the bottom still like $80-90? I'm currently working as a tech writer, and am an avid FPS gamer, switched to a laptop a few months ago and I need something that will do less terrible things to me ergonomically, while also being good at typing and strafing. I'm also not really in a position to be dropping $80-$180 on a keyboard just now, so I keep trying to find the secret amazing deal out there.

E: Are any of the cherry-knockoff switches good/have enough usage to have useful reviews at this point? Everybody seems to have conflicting opinions on which are legit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

WASD's have keys with a fn-combo.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

I ended up ordering the razer blackwidow chroma. Amazon has them on backorder so I'll swing by best buy and test their proprietary switches to see how they feel. The wasd wasn't an option because they're not rgb backlit. I know it's a gimmick but I really like the color choices.

Good luck, last Razer product I bought lasted 3 months.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

evil_bunnY posted:

WASD's have keys with a fn-combo.

The best thing about my Ducky Shine 4 is the Fn+Del/End/PgDn volume controls. Easily hit with my right hand.

If I had it to do over again I'd have gone with Cherry Browns instead of Clears. I make a few more typos on the Clears and my wife isn't a fan of the keyboard for the few times she has to use it. It's not bad enough for me to replace it by any stretch though.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Xir posted:

The best thing about my Ducky Shine 4 is the Fn+Del/End/PgDn volume controls. Easily hit with my right hand.

If I had it to do over again I'd have gone with Cherry Browns instead of Clears. I make a few more typos on the Clears and my wife isn't a fan of the keyboard for the few times she has to use it. It's not bad enough for me to replace it by any stretch though.

Just curious. How do you make more typos on clears? I've found the reverse since if I fat finger on heavier keys it usually isn't enough to activate them completely.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Elucidarius posted:

Just curious. How do you make more typos on clears? I've found the reverse since if I fat finger on heavier keys it usually isn't enough to activate them completely.

Those would be the typos: letters left out. The attempt to correct them usually ends up with me pressing too hard. I'm still in the adjustment period, I've had my mechanical keyboards for a month at most.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Ok goons, I've been lurking this thread for over 2 months now and I think I'm at the point where I an ask an educated question.

I've been using an old Mitsuko keyboard since 2004 that came with my first computer and it has served me very well so far. However, from the years of use, the keys have become excessively noisy and the caps have a nice shine to them instead of the original matte finish. After reading all the praises for mechanical keys, and getting an unexpected holiday bonus, I have to find out what the hype is about. The main uses will be for fps gaming and typing lab reports for my engineering classes.

What I'm looking for is:

- No frills
- Full layout
- Not loud
- Brown switches, or maybe Clears
- Media Keys (Play, Pause, Next, Prev, Vol +, Vol - )
- Backlight would be a plus but not necessary
- Under $150

Based on this and all of the advise I've seen within the thread, I've narrowed it down to a few choices.

$79.99
Rosewill RK-9000V2 BR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201083

$125
WASD *Open Box* CODE w/Clears
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/open-box-code/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard-open-box.html

$155
WASD Custom w/Browns
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-104-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

So I guess my question boils down to this. Is the Rosewill a quality product, or are the WASD boards so superior that they are worth the extra money? Other suggestions are also welcome.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

BeRandom posted:

Ok goons, I've been lurking this thread for over 2 months now and I think I'm at the point where I an ask an educated question.

I've been using an old Mitsuko keyboard since 2004 that came with my first computer and it has served me very well so far. However, from the years of use, the keys have become excessively noisy and the caps have a nice shine to them instead of the original matte finish. After reading all the praises for mechanical keys, and getting an unexpected holiday bonus, I have to find out what the hype is about. The main uses will be for fps gaming and typing lab reports for my engineering classes.

What I'm looking for is:

- No frills
- Full layout
- Not loud
- Brown switches, or maybe Clears
- Media Keys (Play, Pause, Next, Prev, Vol +, Vol - )
- Backlight would be a plus but not necessary
- Under $150

Based on this and all of the advise I've seen within the thread, I've narrowed it down to a few choices.

$79.99
Rosewill RK-9000V2 BR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201083

$125
WASD *Open Box* CODE w/Clears
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/open-box-code/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard-open-box.html

$155
WASD Custom w/Browns
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-104-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

So I guess my question boils down to this. Is the Rosewill a quality product, or are the WASD boards so superior that they are worth the extra money? Other suggestions are also welcome.

How about a WASD? No back lighting but you get nice thick PBT keycaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

How about a WASD? No back lighting but you get nice thick PBT keycaps.

Wow, I'm dumb. Didn't even notice those on the product page. It's the same price as the custom because they still charge $5 extra for Browns.

I don't really know much about different cap materials. What is the advantage of the PBT keycaps over the ones on the Custom board? (strength, durability, weight, feel?)

• Locked thread