Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth I have a buddy who has a Bionic as his first Android and he loves it to death. I've asked him at least three times over the past eight months what his thoughts on it was and it has always been positive. This is not a super nerd technical user who must have root and whatnot. There are better alternatives out there, yes. But you could certainly do worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

godzirraRAWR posted:

RootKeeper on my KF will let me stream Amazon Prime videos without any problems. Just have to toggle it to 'disable' or 'hide' root, and it worked without a hitch.

Considering I've wiped the stock Amazon Android from my kindle fire I don't think that's an option.

What really surprises me about ICS on Kindle Fire is how much more responsive it is than stock, how is that even possible? The only issue is its more inconvenient to watch Prime videos through the browser, but absolutely everything is better.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Well, isn't the KF built on 2.2? That's a big upgrade.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Just got my HSPA+ GNex from Google Play. Can I throw AOKP on here without worry? Any warnings for a first time rooter.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Welp, Bionic it is. I guess paying 100 bucks for a lovely screen isn't that big of a deal.

Isn't the Razr only $100 also?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aatrek posted:

Well, isn't the KF built on 2.2? That's a big upgrade.

It's a custom forked version of 2.3.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Considering I've wiped the stock Amazon Android from my kindle fire I don't think that's an option.

What really surprises me about ICS on Kindle Fire is how much more responsive it is than stock, how is that even possible? The only issue is its more inconvenient to watch Prime videos through the browser, but absolutely everything is better.

Did you backup your current rom before you flashed? You can also download the update for 6.3.1 and reinstall it, but there's a detailed thread on XDA how to return to kf stock

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

The Downfall posted:

Just got my HSPA+ GNex from Google Play. Can I throw AOKP on here without worry? Any warnings for a first time rooter.

If you have already set Google Wallet up make sure you clear it before flashing:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1675353

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Here's a pic of my One S with S-OFF :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Here's a pic of my One S with S-OFF :3:

What the hell is going on with the top of this picture?

Also, it's cool that it shows CID on the bootloader screen.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
edit: never mind

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

What the hell is going on with the top of this picture?

Also, it's cool that it shows CID on the bootloader screen.

I rooted my Inspire with a different ROM and I was using cameraFX zoom to take the picture and it came out crappy.

I haven't unlocked the bootloader but I'm running official stock ROM. didn't root the phone or anything.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'd love a One S or One X (mmmmmm, Krait), but I'd wait for official Cyanogenmod 9 support *and* the option to change the goddamned multitask button at the bottom to menu.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I have no idea what CID means. Pretty sure its not related to the CM mascot. This is a preproduction device from HTC corporate that they gave to me to play with. All of the phones at corporate come with S-OFF which is pretty cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

I'd love a One S or One X (mmmmmm, Krait), but I'd wait for official Cyanogenmod 9 support *and* the option to change the goddamned multitask button at the bottom to menu.
I don't understand why if HTC intended to violate Ice Cream Sandwich design guidelines and include capacitive buttons they didn't go ahead and include a menu button, either in lieu of the search button which has been completely depreciated or in addition to the three they did include. The way they did it was the worst possible way to go about it.

I have no idea what CID means. Pretty sure its not related to the CM mascot. This is a preproduction device from HTC corporate that they gave to me to play with. All of the phones at corporate come with S-OFF which is pretty cool.
CID is the carrier lock status. 0000000 means unlocked.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

I don't understand why if HTC intended to violate Ice Cream Sandwich design guidelines and include capacitive buttons they didn't go ahead and include a menu button, either in lieu of the search button which has been completely depreciated or in addition to the three they did include. The way they did it was the worst possible way to go about it.
CID is the carrier lock status. 0000000 means unlocked.

Really? Because I'm using an AT&T SIM card and I get 4G on my One S.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Really? Because I'm using an AT&T SIM card and I get 4G on my One S.
Actually you're correct, 1111111 is unlocked entirely. Also, the reason it's shown on the bootloader isn't the subsidy lock, it's the carrier firmware lock. 1111111 means you can flash any carrier's firmware, including radio, to the device.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

LastInLine posted:

Actually you're correct, 1111111 is unlocked entirely. Also, the reason it's shown on the bootloader isn't the subsidy lock, it's the carrier firmware lock. 1111111 means you can flash any carrier's firmware, including radio, to the device.

Is this a new thing? I've rooted a shitload of HTC phones, and my Sensation was the first I had to superCID in order to flash whatever rom I wanted. Never an issue before, all the way up to my MT4G or G2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

Is this a new thing? I've rooted a shitload of HTC phones, and my Sensation was the first I had to superCID in order to flash whatever rom I wanted. Never an issue before, all the way up to my MT4G or G2.
I believe the MT4G/G2/DZ/DHD were the first HTC phones to have it. Permaroot on the G2 had gfree which set the CID to 1111111 but it might not have been strictly necessary at the time.

I left the HTC world with the Passion only occasionally helping my buddy with his G2 which is the only reason I know anything about the CID.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I've had a really odd issue with CM7.2 Stable where it seems to want to refuse to go into deep sleep mode at idle. I'm getting about 5+%/h drain instead of the sub 2% I got on Cm7.1. I've installed better battery stats and it's not pinging any wakelocks. I was thinking this could be related to the poor wifi reception I'm getting, but this is happening even with wifi turned off

I'm not usually one to be a stickler about battery life, but when I can get a two full days light use on Cm7.1 and then have to be charging every eight hours or less on 7.2, then something loving weird is going on. I've always felt that it's kinda a red herring, but having this kind of drain hasn't really happened to me outside of poorly coded Sense 3 roms. Nevermind so called Cyanogen Stable.

Any ideas? I've checked all the usual clues and nothing seems amiss.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 24, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Looks like CM7.1 is the last decent G2 rom. Time to buy a new phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I've had a really odd issue with CM7.2 Stable where it seems to want to refuse to go into deep sleep mode at idle. I'm getting about 5+%/h drain instead of the sub 2% I got on Cm7.1. I've installed better battery stats and it's not pinging any wakelocks. I was thinking this could be related to the poor wifi reception I'm getting, but this is happening even with wifi turned off

I'm not usually one to be a stickler about battery life, but when I can get a two full days light use on Cm7.1 and then have to be charging every eight hours or less on 7.2, then something loving weird is going on. I've always felt that it's kinda a red herring, but having this kind of drain hasn't really happened to me outside of poorly coded Sense 3 roms. Nevermind so called Cyanogen Stable.

Any ideas? I've checked all the usual clues and nothing seems amiss.
Just nandroid back to the CM7.1 build you were using. It's not like there are huge (any?) functional differences between 7.2 and 7.1.

Also, yeah, the poor ol' G2 is just about at the end of its useful life so it might be time to start figuring out what you'll be doing when you move on.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'll be waiting until January of 2013 when my contract runs out before that actually becomes an issue. I don't have the money to get an outright replacement and as much as I like tweaking my phone, I have no real problem sticking with something that works even if it's dated. It's not like you have to have ICS to get google voice or gmail to work, so to hell with it.

I decided to just flash Andromadus Mimicry for shits and giggles to see how far ICS development has come. I'll update back here with thoughts in a while. That is assuming it ever gets past the HTC bootscreen.

Edit: Jesus Christ. Rebuilding a davlik shouldn't take nearly 10 minutes, should it?

Edit 2: After loving with it for the last few hours I finally figured out that the md5 was incorrect and thus the file was corrupt. Cm9 is now booting and is actually very nice.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 24, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I'll be waiting until January of 2013 when my contract runs out before that actually becomes an issue. I don't have the money to get an outright replacement and as much as I like tweaking my phone, I have no real problem sticking with something that works even if it's dated. It's not like you have to have ICS to get google voice or gmail to work, so to hell with it.

I decided to just flash Andromadus Mimicry for shits and giggles to see how far ICS development has come. I'll update back here with thoughts in a while. That is assuming it ever gets past the HTC bootscreen.
drat, January's a long wait but at least that will be after the next Nexus.

I wonder if anyone will bother making any AWS 3G devices then considering where T-Mobile should be in their PCS reprovisioning.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'd sure love to know. My growing disgruntlement with the android ecosystem as a whole is well documented at this point and if by that point poo poo doesn't seem better I'm just going to bite the bullet and jump ship to something else. The Gnex is underwhelming as hell and it seems like you're doomed to the whims of the developer community if you want anything else.

I'd best be blown away by the next Nexus device.

Edit: So much for Andromadus Mimicry. Gave it half an hour to recompile the davlik and it never got past the HTC bootscreen. loving lame.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 24, 2012

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How is the GNex underwhelming as hell? I'm looking to grab one shortly because my Evo 3D GSM is impossible to get any dev support for and honestly even the stock GNex blows it away.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Well it's snappy, has a gorgeous screen and runs stock ICS so I guess that's pretty terrible?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I'd sure love to know. My growing disgruntlement with the android ecosystem as a whole is well documented at this point and if by that point poo poo doesn't seem better I'm just going to bite the bullet and jump ship to something else. The Gnex is underwhelming as hell and it seems like you're doomed to the whims of the developer community if you want anything else.

I'd best be blown away by the next Nexus device.
I'd genuinely like to know what you'd like to see the Galaxy Nexus do that it doesn't. The only way it's disappointed me is in the fact that there's just no reason to gently caress with the aftermarket anymore now that stock works fine and looks good.

I guess the mediocre camera and smallish internal storage on the HSPA+ version are drawbacks but I can't imagine that overriding things like dealing with Sense or never getting an update.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Pretty much that. I like being able to expand memory and 16gb is pretty piss poor in this day and age. I like taking lots of photos, as already mentioned elsewhere. A mediocre to terrible camera is unacceptable, sorry. Been dealing with that for the last year and it's flat out not okay.

No, this doesn't outweigh being able to get updates directly from google. However, they're still valid issues. If the next nexus has a better sensor/lens protection and 32gb built in memory for the GSM version I'd be perfectly happy.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Can someone explain the "Galaxy Nexus has a terrible camera" thing to me? I've looked at a bunch of comparison shots and can't even begin to tell what distinguishes a good camera from a bad one. This isn't GNex fanboyism; this is me being the least visual person on the planet and having no idea what to look for. Is it focus? Colour vibrancy? What are the criteria here, and how do you evaluate these things?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

Can someone explain the "Galaxy Nexus has a terrible camera" thing to me? I've looked at a bunch of comparison shots and can't even begin to tell what distinguishes a good camera from a bad one. This isn't GNex fanboyism; this is me being the least visual person on the planet and having no idea what to look for. Is it focus? Colour vibrancy? What are the criteria here, and how do you evaluate these things?

I can tell but it doesn't seem like a huge difference. The Galaxy Nexus' camera vs. the iPhone 4s'... The GNex's are more saturated with more vivid colors, and it doesn't do as well in low-light conditions. It kind of seems like if you really care a ton about the pictures you're taking to the point where that difference is actually a deal-breaker, you should just get an actual camera with a decent lens instead of using the super tiny one crammed into your phone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\To be fair, though, the iPhone 4 and 4S do take some drat good photos. Here's an unedited photo I took with my iPhone.

Penguissimo posted:

It's mostly color accuracy and sensor quality. I'd go into detail but the Verge does a much better job explaining it than I do.

E;FB. Though I did include a link!

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 25, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ICS on the bionic is pretty awesome. I installed the .2233 leak today and it seems to be basically perfect. Only thing that doesn't seem to work is Lets Golf 2 won't launch (temple run launches, so acceleration is working right).

Man things like the camera work so much better now though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Slopehead posted:

Edit: Jesus Christ. Rebuilding a davlik shouldn't take nearly 10 minutes, should it?

Edit 2: After loving with it for the last few hours I finally figured out that the md5 was incorrect and thus the file was corrupt. Cm9 is now booting and is actually very nice.

I'm running mimicry now and I think it's very nice. It mostly works, though there's some oddness with voice commands where if I set an alarm sometimes it won't activate. You're lucky. My Three year sentence with Bell isn't up until August 2013. Unless Google really cleans up its act I'll be rocking the iPhone 5s.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Eternally rebooting phone

Galaxy S i9000.

I've been using the guide here:
theandroidsoul.com/cyanogenmod-9-cm9-nightly-rom-for-galaxy-s-installation-guide/

To try to install CM9. Using Odin I've flashed:
JW4_JW4_JW4.tar (worked)
CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar (worked)

Then I've stuck
cm-9-20120623-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip
gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
into the root directory, booted into recovery and tried to run the first zip.

Every time I do this it gets maybe 3 seconds into the install, and reboots. It then shows the "Galaxy S" logo, then "Galaxy S - Cyanogen" (some graphic with Cyanogen in the name) and flips to what looks like the installation text for two seconds - and then reboots and repeats.

I can't drop it back into recovery but I can force it into download mode and flash JW4 again and repeat from the top. This has happened a few times now and I always end up in the same place, which suggests I'm doing something wrong. Please fix my idiocy.

Also followed the steps here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24673062

I think-

quote:

1. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. - Covered by flashing CF Root, yes?
2. Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
3. Do a Nandroid backup!
4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery - Breaks here.

Any ideas?

Edit: Worked it out. Hold down the 3-button recovery combo (up, home, power) and make sure you release it when the cyanogen logo is visible. Removing the battery before you start this process might help.

Eventually it might listen and go into recovery and you can load the same install zip again and it works.

IntelligibleChoir fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 25, 2012

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
check the MD5 checksums to make sure you dont have a bad download.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Penguissimo posted:

If you're that way, you shouldn't care.

Personally, I can tell the difference between Galaxy Nexus photos and 4S photos...but it barely even matters to me. You can get great photos with the Galaxy Nexus camera, sometimes it just takes a bit more work to get them.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

UnintelligibleSmurf posted:

Eternally rebooting phone

Galaxy S i9000.

I've been using the guide here:
theandroidsoul.com/cyanogenmod-9-cm9-nightly-rom-for-galaxy-s-installation-guide/

To try to install CM9. Using Odin I've flashed:
JW4_JW4_JW4.tar (worked)
CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar (worked)

Then I've stuck
cm-9-20120623-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip
gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
into the root directory, booted into recovery and tried to run the first zip.

Every time I do this it gets maybe 3 seconds into the install, and reboots. It then shows the "Galaxy S" logo, then "Galaxy S - Cyanogen" (some graphic with Cyanogen in the name) and flips to what looks like the installation text for two seconds - and then reboots and repeats.

I can't drop it back into recovery but I can force it into download mode and flash JW4 again and repeat from the top. This has happened a few times now and I always end up in the same place, which suggests I'm doing something wrong. Please fix my idiocy.

Also followed the steps here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24673062

I think-

Any ideas?

Edit: Worked it out. Hold down the 3-button recovery combo (up, home, power) and make sure you release it when the cyanogen logo is visible. Removing the battery before you start this process might help.

Eventually it might listen and go into recovery and you can load the same install zip again and it works.

This is exactly what was happening with my i9000M. In my case the root cause was bad nand flash (I understand that the problem was much more pronounced in the 'M' model) and after 4 warranty replacements Samsung decided that they weren't going to honour their warranty anymore. I managed to get my carrier to spring for an HTC phone as a replacement. Good luck.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Arcsech posted:

I can tell but it doesn't seem like a huge difference. The Galaxy Nexus' camera vs. the iPhone 4s'... The GNex's are more saturated with more vivid colors, and it doesn't do as well in low-light conditions. It kind of seems like if you really care a ton about the pictures you're taking to the point where that difference is actually a deal-breaker, you should just get an actual camera with a decent lens instead of using the super tiny one crammed into your phone.

lelandjs posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\To be fair, though, the iPhone 4 and 4S do take some drat good photos. Here's an unedited photo I took with my iPhone.

It's mostly color accuracy and sensor quality. I'd go into detail but the Verge does a much better job explaining it than I do.

E;FB. Though I did include a link!

Thermopyle posted:

If you're that way, you shouldn't care.

Personally, I can tell the difference between Galaxy Nexus photos and 4S photos...but it barely even matters to me. You can get great photos with the Galaxy Nexus camera, sometimes it just takes a bit more work to get them.

Ah, thanks guys...I can sort of see the differences now. The better ones look a bit sharper, I think? Still doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, but I guess if this is the kind of thing you're tuned into, it could matter a lot. When I hear "the camera is garbage", I guess I'd been translating that as "photos are completely unrecognisable", not "things are slightly more blue sometimes". As long as it's something I can continue not caring about or noticing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

When I hear "the camera is garbage", I guess I'd been translating that as "photos are completely unrecognisable", not "things are slightly more blue sometimes".
The real issue with the Galaxy Nexus camera debacle is that it simply wasn't/isn't up to par with contemporary devices: iPhone 4S, Amaze 4G, Galaxy S II, etc., and now the One series and Galaxy S III. That's a pretty awful oversight.

In the end it might not matter for most folks here, and perhaps not really matter for lay folks as well. But of all a phone's peripheral features, most users probably make reasonable use of the camera, so it's really lovely that we have to preface our recommendations with "Caveat, if you care about camera quality ...". It just shouldn't have happened.