Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

Gigabyte likes to stick 3 small garbage fans to every gpu they make, no idea why they won't use 2 good fans instead.

Yeah but the Gigabyte 970 was reviewed and found to be one of the quietest if not the quietest cooler under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there a good comparison of the MSI Gaming 970 and the Asus Strix?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

afkmacro posted:

Yeah I can't find it on the site either. Fairfax VA store if that matters. :(

Seeing as I picked 'the last one' (according to the guy who was more than happy to stick his associate sticker on it) up last night, consider having dodged a bullet. Fairfax only has (or had) the ACX 1.0 cards in stock. As it stands, I think I'll hold onto this ACX 1.0 for ~2 months and 'step up' to the FTW version as a cheap Christmas gift for myself for the better cooler, higher clocks, double BIOS, and voltage boost. I don't really care about the 980.

One can also hope they might put out a 6GB 970 or something that I could also 'step up' to in the next two months or so.

everythingWasBees posted:

Compare these:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-970-gaming-review,1.html

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 21, 2014

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

everythingWasBees posted:

A decent enough one

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anyone put a g10 on a 980 or 970?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

I'm interested to see if memory overclocking even matters. All signs from both GM204 and Tonga point to "not anymore :)" which would be ace since that'd mean more juice for the chip :black101:

Here ya go, b'y

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
My 970 from Amazon just moved from ordered to shipping.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I read that and it formed the basis for my evaluation - I'm looking to see what kinds of results people can achieve with cards that aren't press samples, although I've probably made up my mind already re: the importance of a big memory OC this generation :shobon:

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Pasting this from the pc building thread in hope of better chances for a response here:

I've always been almost driven mad by a tempting thought: to return my sapphire r9 280 card, get money back and put more money in and get an nvidia 970.

I technically have 2 weeks time to decide on this and my time will have ran out by the end of next week. Only available versions of the 970 atm are the gigabyte and the asus ones (link if interested: http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/filtre/model-model-geforce-gtx-970/)

The main problems i have are:

1. Potential bitching from the people i bought these from. Bear in mind i have 2 weeks time per legal decrees so it SHOULDN'T be a problem returning it but they may find workarounds. I mean i can see them even bitching about the fact that the sapphire sticker won't be in the return package since i've used it D:
2. 970 models being sold out by the time i get the money for the return + the difference (at least a week). I'd have to go back to my old PC till they restock on the 970 so it technically wouldn't be the end of the world.

I seem to be stuck in a deep moral and financial dilemma that's also probably kinda stupid/silly pls help me out goons D:

Also bonus question: Why is the memory interface on the 970 256bit while all the other models are on 384 bit?
(this is where i got the info from: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-gaming-review,4.html )

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 21, 2014

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
Babby post here, what is wrong with the stock nVidia coolers?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Smegma Princess X posted:

They only make sense in a case with extremely limited airflow since they use a blower design. Otherwise open-air coolers will always perform better and produce less noise.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
SLI'ing 2 open air 770's sucked, I wish they had blowers. If I were to get a 970 I would certainly SLI it, so maybe I'd consider a reference cooler model. But then again I got such insane results from the G10 bracket too ... I guess I could try two blower models for a bit see how it does and then AIO them later.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Smegma Princess X posted:

They basically blow.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

They basically blow.

Oh man, that pun made me frown and then smile. Serious talk though, the 980 stock cooler is actually pretty great for what it is. Obviously temps don't leave much headroom, but it is very quiet and works everywhere. The 165w TDP makes a huge difference, even a stock cooler barely has to work hard.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

uaciaut posted:

Pasting this from the pc building thread in hope of better chances for a response here:

I've always been almost driven mad by a tempting thought: to return my sapphire r9 280 card, get money back and put more money in and get an nvidia 970.

I technically have 2 weeks time to decide on this and my time will have ran out by the end of next week. Only available versions of the 970 atm are the gigabyte and the asus ones (link if interested: http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/filtre/model-model-geforce-gtx-970/)

The main problems i have are:

1. Potential bitching from the people i bought these from. Bear in mind i have 2 weeks time per legal decrees so it SHOULDN'T be a problem returning it but they may find workarounds. I mean i can see them even bitching about the fact that the sapphire sticker won't be in the return package since i've used it D:
2. 970 models being sold out by the time i get the money for the return + the difference (at least a week). I'd have to go back to my old PC till they restock on the 970 so it technically wouldn't be the end of the world.

I seem to be stuck in a deep moral and financial dilemma that's also probably kinda stupid/silly pls help me out goons D:

Also bonus question: Why is the memory interface on the 970 256bit while all the other models are on 384 bit?
(this is where i got the info from: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-gaming-review,4.html )

Where the hell do you live that returning a recently-purchased product you have the legal right to return engenders enormous feelings of imposition and guilt? It's a Commonwealth nation, isn't it?

The numbers on performance and cost are right in front of you. You have everything you need to decide. Your new PC probably has integrated graphics, for what it's worth, so you don't need to go back to the old system just for everyday use.

As for the bonus question, general life advice for comparing computer parts: Don't naively compare numbers except within a single product family. A cell phone's core is not the same as a desktop's core, an Nvidia shader is not the same as an AMD stream processor, and a Pentium 4 will get murdered by a Core i7 no matter how much CPU Boss implies the Pentium is a choice worth considering.

The 980 can outpace a 780 Ti despite the slower memory because it uses compression techniques on memory data to save bandwidth. The same information is packed the same way you add junk to a ZIP file and it becomes smaller, thereby transferring more quickly.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Factory Factory posted:

As for the bonus question, general life advice for comparing computer parts: Don't naively compare numbers except within a single product family. A cell phone's core is not the same as a desktop's core, an Nvidia shader is not the same as an AMD stream processor, and a Pentium 4 will get murdered by a Core i7 no matter how much CPU Boss implies the Pentium is a choice worth considering.

The 980 can outpace a 780 Ti despite the slower memory because it uses compression techniques on memory data to save bandwidth. The same information is packed the same way you add junk to a ZIP file and it becomes smaller, thereby transferring more quickly.

I was just thinking along the lines of "there's gonna be a new-gen of 970/980 with 384 memory and a few other tweaksin a few months at bigger prices so i'm not sure if i want to rush into getting one now".
Problem is i have to rush into one now since in a week i won't be able to return my current video card and selling it used will be a bad idea most likely since prices for used r9's are already going down fast with people selling them to get the 970/980 boards.

Will probably talk to the people where i got my system from tomorrow and see how their stock of 970's will be as well since it's very likely they'll be out for like a month or so anyway, provided that there won't be any problems with returning my current card. Oh well.

P.S. I live in Romania and have no experience with returning products but i am pessimistic about it since many times customer service here is kinda bad. Not to say i've had any bad experience with where i bought poo poo from (like i said i have no experience with returning poo poo whatsoever) but i'm p skeptical about it.

Thanks for the answer btw.

P.P.S. I'm probably gonna go with the Gigabyte 970 if they still have it in stock, if they don't should i go for the Asus model?

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 21, 2014

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

uaciaut posted:

I was just thinking along the lines of "there's gonna be a new-gen of 970/980 with 384 memory and a few other tweaksin a few months at bigger prices so i'm not sure if i want to rush into getting one now".
Problem is i have to rush into one now since in a week i won't be able to return my current video card and selling it used will be a bad idea most likely since prices for used r9's are already going down fast with people selling them to get the 970/980 boards.

Will probably talk to the people where i got my system from tomorrow and see how their stock of 970's will be as well since it's very likely they'll be out for like a month or so anyway, provided that there won't be any problems with returning my current card. Oh well.

P.S. I live in Romania and have no experience with returning products but i am pessimistic about it since many times customer service here is kinda bad. Not to say i've had any bad experience with where i bought poo poo from (like i said i have no experience with returning poo poo whatsoever) but i'm p skeptical about it.

Thanks for the answer btw.

P.P.S. I'm probably gonna go with the Gigabyte 970 if they still have it in stock, if they don't should i go for the Asus model?

Yes, go for any really (but make EVGA your last choice). Thanks to nVidia's green light program, the cards gave to meet a certain criteria regarding noise/cooling/power etc. The only reason I say choose EVGA last is because it's cooler isn't as good as the others (read back a page or two) and therefore can be considered (subjectively, of course - everyone has a different opinion) the 'worst' pick right now.

E: forgot to mention - the above is if they're all around the same price, if one is significantly cheaper and in stock, I'd say just jump on that (as above, greenlight means it has to be of a certain level).

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
I'm looking at getting a 21:9 monitor in the near-ish (within a year) future, and am trying to get an idea of what the minimum level of GPU I'll want to look at for gaming at that resolution. I currently have an R9 270X that handles my 1920x1080 demands quite handily, but I imagine the extra 2/3 of a million pixels might be a bit above what the 270X can handle with everything turned up fairly high. I'm thinking it shouldn't take more than a 280/285, but I'm not the most knowledgeable on where the breaking points are. Aside from the obvious "get a 970," advice?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What about all the factory overclocked editions? Any reason not to get one if price isn't an issue? Do they tend to have a shorter lifespan perhaps?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Wait, so EVGA's "reference" cooler is worse than the other vendors? Or is EVGA the only one using a reference cooler? I'd be disappointed if I have to switch from EVGA as I'm going to upgrade to a 900 series card.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Wait, so EVGA's "reference" cooler is worse than the other vendors? Or is EVGA the only one using a reference cooler? I'd be disappointed if I have to switch from EVGA as I'm going to upgrade to a 900 series card.

EVGA's ACX cooler is worse than the various custom coolers of other brands - and notably worse than the previous version that came with 700 series cards. If a card is a reference design then they should be identical regardless of who makes it. If you're buying a non reference card (and you generally should unless you're doing SLi or have a super cramped low airflow case) then MSI is the way to go.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

EVGA's ACX cooler is worse than the various custom coolers of other brands - and notably worse than the previous version that came with 700 series cards. If a card is a reference design then they should be identical regardless of who makes it. If you're buying a non reference card (and you generally should unless you're doing SLi or have a super cramped low airflow case) then MSI is the way to go.

The new AXC cooler is bad enough that on the 145w 970, it is substantially louder than the reference cooler on the 165w 980. Extrapolating from this, it would be even worse on the 980. I'd far sooner get a reference card.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

The new AXC cooler is bad enough that on the 145w 970, it is substantially louder than the reference cooler on the 165w 980. Extrapolating from this, it would be even worse on the 980. I'd far sooner get a reference card.

Or you could just get a good non reference cooler. I'm certainly not suggesting anyone buy a card with an ACX cooler in its current form (unless they can get that card substantially cheaper than any other option, in which case it at least merits consideration) but I still don't think most people should get reference coolers.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Or you could just get a good non reference cooler. I'm certainly not suggesting anyone buy a card with an ACX cooler in its current form (unless they can get that card substantially cheaper than any other option, in which case it at least merits consideration) but I still don't think most people should get reference coolers.

I probably worded it badly. I'd sooner get a reference card than the ACX card. Of course, everyone should get MSI cards where possible for that sweetass cooler.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

I probably worded it badly. I'd sooner get a reference card than the ACX card. Of course, everyone should get MSI cards where possible for that sweetass cooler.

Fair enough.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
I'm strongly considering selling my GTX 760 (it's nearly a year old now) for extra cash towards the new GTX 970. How much in £ should I expect to sell it for?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone heard of any brick and mortars getting the 970s besides microcenter? Not seeing anything at Fry's or Best Buy but it's a little strange for Microcenter to be the only launch store around here.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone heard of any brick and mortars getting the 970s besides microcenter? Not seeing anything at Fry's or Best Buy but it's a little strange for Microcenter to be the only launch store around here.

I saw 770s for more money than a 970 on Best Buy's site so I'm guessing they're going to try to blow out their old stock first :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I doubt we see 970's with the reference Titan cooler. It's expensive to manufacture and doesn't make too much sense to put it to a "budget" card.

The earlier point I made regarding the components was that mfg's advertised better than baseline components and all the review sites got these cards. Then the mfg silently started to cut corners, hoping no one would notice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ihmemies posted:

I doubt we see 970's with the reference Titan cooler.

It's the card I'd buy, though. I'm sure many others would too. Perfect for an HTPC where heat blowing around inside a small box is out of the question.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You'll probably be able to get the reference blower when Best Buy starts stocking them. Go into any Best Buy and you can find the GTX 770 "Built and Designed by Nvidia" reference model with the nice blower. It's actually first party Nvidia branded. The downside is all graphics cards sold at Best Buy have at least a 15% markup, and they specifically require exclusive SKUs so they they never have to actually price match Amazon. Turd lords.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Would it be fair to say that, price aside, the best version of the GTX 970 so far is the MSI GAMING 4G? Quality brand, Twin Frozr V cooler and a factory overclock.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Senjuro posted:

Would it be fair to say that, price aside, the best version of the GTX 970 so far is the MSI GAMING 4G? Quality brand, Twin Frozr V cooler and a factory overclock.

I had that one ordered, but swapped to the Asus Strix, as I heard it should be quieter - though both should be quite OK.

My current Asus gtx 660 is quieter than my previous MSI gtx 560, which is why I reconsidered - the 560 was bought quite long after launch and it felt like it had poorer quality, I swapped it out because a fan failed and I got that polygon flickering thing that indicates RAM problems.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I should say that this does not have any bearing on current version quality - I just wanted to qualify why I swapped my orders.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm glad I don't have a window on my computer case, nor do I ever open it up except for dust blowing. Because the non-reference coolers look stupid as hell.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I once had a window, but I glued some bitumen carpet over it to reduce resonation :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Senjuro posted:

The Gigabyte version is very quiet at load and has a heatsink far more gigantic than the other two. Since it has a transferable 3-year warranty like the Asus and MSI I'd say it's a perfectly good choice. I recently RMAed one of their coin-mining R9 290 and got back a pristine replacement so they're okay in my book even if their mobos are awful.

Not counting that I'd actually go with the MSI over the Asus, you're not going to hear the Twin Frozr over a CPU fan / case fans at idle anyway so it's gimmicky to me.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, price aside the Gigabyte 970 Windforce is looking to be the top card at the moment. It seems to be the only 970 with 3 DP outputs, as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah I was going to say that, 3 DP 2 DVI and an HDMI, that's pretty crazy, though you obviously will never be able to turn it into a single slot card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Could one of you post a newegg link to a 970 "cooler" for those who have no loving clue what one is, or what a good one should look like?