Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

How is it so far? I kinda want to give it a try, but I was not too crazy about DW7 Empires.

I played it for four hours last night the moment I got it installed.

... I didn't actually touch the game at all, I spent the entire time seeding the world with dumb custom characters :downs:

e: More seriously they seem to have removed some of the stuff from previous Empires games - I didn't see any way to play as a random officer within a bigger country where the lord was played by the computer, which was kind of neat in DW7E, but I haven't tried Genesis mode yet so maybe it's in there - but the politics layer has been overhauled and seems more coherent and thought out in general compared to how it used to be. I'm finding the battles more confusing than SRW4, though. Maybe it's because I'm playing it on a PS4 rather than a PS3 but I regularly lose myself in a cloud of guys.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Stelas posted:

I played it for four hours last night the moment I got it installed.

... I didn't actually touch the game at all, I spent the entire time seeding the world with dumb custom characters :downs:

Can't blame you for this. Unfortunately making custom characters is always the most fun you will have in an Empires title.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Unlucky7 posted:

How is it so far? I kinda want to give it a try, but I was not too crazy about DW7 Empires.

I didn't play DW7E, but it's significantly better than DW8E. The policy and relationship systems are tighter and the battle gameplay is solid. Stelas is right that they took out the ability to play as an officer under an AI-controlled liege, but that's a minor thing. My only real complaint is that my AI advisors always want to sacrifice my Fame for resources when the latter drops after an invasion. Just wait for Autumn, dumbass.

Stelas posted:

Maybe it's because I'm playing it on a PS4 rather than a PS3 but I regularly lose myself in a cloud of guys.

Isn't that half the fun? :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The ability to insert your OC in place of an existing character is rad and all, especially if you like certain characters, but a) tragically you can only replace a character with one of the same sex, and b) their name gets changed to that of the character. Nobunaga cannot be directed to romance Big Bear.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Stelas posted:

The ability to insert your OC in place of an existing character is rad and all, especially if you like certain characters, but a) tragically you can only replace a character with one of the same sex, and b) their name gets changed to that of the character. Nobunaga cannot be directed to romance Big Bear.

You can always just play Genesis Mode, which I believe does alow complete replacements.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

SW4: Empires is the first console game i've ever seen with the ability to re-bind every button in the settings. If they're allowed to do this then why hasnt everybody

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I appreciate the fact that SW4: Empires makes bases a bit harder to take this time around. In Dynasty 7 and 8 Empires you just go in, whoop the officer's butt then you get the base. Takes like a minute. But in this one you have to killKO a bunch of guys and if an officer enters the arena you have to take care of them first before the camp falls.

Formations also turn the tide of battle dramatically.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lesbian baphomet posted:

SW4: Empires is the first console game i've ever seen with the ability to re-bind every button in the settings. If they're allowed to do this then why hasnt everybody

Plenty of games do this? Maybe you just don't play the big ones.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Tae posted:

Plenty of games do this? Maybe you just don't play the big ones.

all other console games i've seen just have a list of pre-set button configurations you can cycle between, or they don't have the option at all, or it's very limited and you can only freely rebind a few of the buttons. the closest other thing I can think of is fighting game button layouts, but that's not quite the same and mostly exists because they need to account for a bunch of different stick types.

but yeah, i mostly haven't touched "big ones" in 3+ years, so maybe a lot of game companies finally wised up and started allowing this stuff

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only console game I have that does this is Smash and I'm glad more devs are apparently catching on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lesbian baphomet posted:

all other console games i've seen just have a list of pre-set button configurations you can cycle between, or they don't have the option at all, or it's very limited and you can only freely rebind a few of the buttons. the closest other thing I can think of is fighting game button layouts, but that's not quite the same and mostly exists because they need to account for a bunch of different stick types.

but yeah, i mostly haven't touched "big ones" in 3+ years, so maybe a lot of game companies finally wised up and started allowing this stuff

Like, rebinding the entire controller is a common thing for sports games for example.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
You'd be surprised the number of games without customizable controls. I'm looking at you Dark Souls. :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lesbian baphomet posted:

You obviously don't play fighting games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The PS4 lets you rebind buttons at the system level IIRC.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's that whole "compatibility" thing for when you create a character?

I wish SW4: Empires had that online database for CAW characters like DW7:Empires did. That was perfect for filling out the roster. Unless there is one and I'm just missing it somewhere.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Jimbot posted:

What's that whole "compatibility" thing for when you create a character?

As far as I can tell, it's just somebody who they'll become friends with more quickly than normal.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
I've never played Samurai Warriors before, and I intend to fix that. What game should I start with? 4? 4-II? Something else?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

4 unless you're only on PC and 4-II is your only choice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a glitch posted:

I've never played Samurai Warriors before, and I intend to fix that. What game should I start with? 4? 4-II? Something else?

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

absolutely 4

Selane
May 19, 2006

4 is a good Musou game to start with, period. It's very modern and polished with a lot of quality of life features that make it very easy to play and learn.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dang, SW4E makes me want to finish up the story mode in SW4.

Should I get II?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 18, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If you already have SW4 then I would advise against SW4-II unless you're really fiending for some more Samurai Warriors or you get it for really cheap.

It strips out all of the game modes from SW4, adds in a mode where you play the same dozen or so remixed levels over and over with different people, an endless tower mode thing that is honestly worse than the one in SW2, and one single new character.

I wouldn't call it a bad game or anything but it was a pretty big letdown after playing SW4.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are the new story modes any good? I am one of those weird people who likes those.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Speaking of 4, what does Empires add, in terms of things, in comparison to what was removed from 4-II?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

Are the new story modes any good? I am one of those weird people who likes those.

They do this thing where they attempt to bring back the old school single character story modes. You choose one of 13 characters and get five story stages each. There's a lot of overlap so you're often just getting the same story over and over but with a couple lines of dialog involving your character thrown in here and there as well.

They don't really do the What If? scenarios like they do in DW8XL, which I found kind of disappointing.

That's how I remember it anyway, I haven't played it in a while.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Magil of Shadow posted:

Speaking of 4, what does Empires add, in terms of things, in comparison to what was removed from 4-II?

As usual, Empires is pretty content-light, relying on multiple factions in multiple scenarios for its longevity. The battles are all pretty same-y, but the use of tactics keeps them fun and reasonably exciting, and being able to switch between more than two characters provides pretty nice variety. The relationship system is surprisingly deep (for a Warriors game), with officers able to gain friends (or retainers, in the case of your leader), spouses, rivals, sworn siblings, mentors, proteges, and nemeses.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Magil of Shadow posted:

Adds a whole castle-based development system instead of the usual map screen. It's a different take on a lot of the same campaign level stuff that's been in past Empires games, but the way it's implemented makes it actually kind of interesting to deal with instead of just something that gets in the way of playing battles. Gives a bit more personality to the units.

And like Maleketh says, there's a whole relationship system that allows for freely switching between characters once those characters develop a friendship or rivalry or whatever else. And as part of developing those relationships, sub-objectives trigger in battles if both of the characters are present. It's all optional, but it makes me pay a lot more attention to who i'm sending into battles (and the combat deploy ui displays it well when there's a developing friendship so you dont just have to remember poo poo).

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Rutibex posted:

They don't want to make it too good, otherwise they would kill off their ability to make money selling level packs.

You're absolutely right of course. I just wish there was a hack or something that would enable the game to be modded. It's such a good game that is held back by it's creators from what it is capable of.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Pirate Warriors 3 is in the EU Easter sale, is the gold edition worth the extra €5? Is the dlc any good or is it really just pointless?

€5 is pretty tempting rather than the usual €10 extra for special editions in these sales.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chewy Bitems posted:

Pirate Warriors 3 is in the EU Easter sale, is the gold edition worth the extra €5? Is the dlc any good or is it really just pointless?

€5 is pretty tempting rather than the usual €10 extra for special editions in these sales.

I've only done a couple of the DLC levels but the ones I have are pretty solid. Particularly the CP9 one which is probably the longest stage in Dream Mode and pretty enjoyable overall.

ymmv though. I tend to always get all the DLC and only sometimes regret it.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Ah cool thanks. Yeah it's not too much more than the regular price so good to know there's decent stages there.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'm trying to start SB4 Sumeragi for the first time and getting stuck on two messages at the beginning that I can't quite read. I think they're related to copying data from regular SB4, which I don't want to do. Any suggestions?

E: there was a cancel button hidden there. Problem solved.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 19, 2016

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I'm trying to start SB4 Sumeragi for the first time and getting stuck on two messages at the beginning that I can't quite read. I think they're related to copying data from regular SB4, which I don't want to do. Any suggestions?

E: there was a cancel button hidden there. Problem solved.

I'm so tempted to import this as I loved the third one, shame the expansion and this fourth one weren't localised. How are you finding the language barrier in actual gameplay?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I didn't get Samurai Warriors 4-II so this is the first time I'm seeing Naomasa Ii's moveset.

:stare:

You press three buttons and everything in front of you just explodes in a fury of movement and particle effects.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Naomasa is the best

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should have given him his mother's armor

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

One thing I'm rather liking about Empires is the way certain cut scenes can vary depending on who's involved. I had Takakage Kobayakawa giving the Lesson of the Three Arrows (in place of his father, oddly) to three of his retainers. When the arrow bundle got to the third retainer, he actually managed to snap it, which prompted him to say "I broke them. Sorry about ruining your lesson." :v:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Maleketh posted:

One thing I'm rather liking about Empires is the way certain cut scenes can vary depending on who's involved. I had Takakage Kobayakawa giving the Lesson of the Three Arrows (in place of his father, oddly) to three of his retainers. When the arrow bundle got to the third retainer, he actually managed to snap it, which prompted him to say "I broke them. Sorry about ruining your lesson." :v:

I'm not sure the outcomes are character dependent (I've had the same retainer snap the arrows and then later fail to snap them), but there's a surprising amount of unique dialogue per character. Generic generals or create-a-characters get a set of lines depending their personality, and major characters have something unique to say for pretty much all the cutscenes.

I wasn't sure that was the case until I got a ton of cutscenes in a row involving Naoe, and he made sure to relate every single event to love and justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

I'm not sure the outcomes are character dependent (I've had the same retainer snap the arrows and then later fail to snap them), but there's a surprising amount of unique dialogue per character. Generic generals or create-a-characters get a set of lines depending their personality, and major characters have something unique to say for pretty much all the cutscenes.

I wasn't sure that was the case until I got a ton of cutscenes in a row involving Naoe, and he made sure to relate every single event to love and justice

I had Yoshihiro Shimazu get the event with the sorcerer in the forest. Instead of running away screaming, he just calmly greeted the soul of his dead nemesis, which sent the sorcerer fleeing in terror. Yoshihiro's the best.