Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You've never teased out a personality characteristic that would make someone difficult to work with? Are you a pure technical interviewer or something? There is almost certainly someone interviewing someone trying to learn about their personality if you aren't, doubly so at a small company where an ego problem could be disastrous and they can afford to spend more time per candidate. Again, this is the most important thing to do in an interview (ie the interview process that a company does not an individual interview) so it's weird if no one screens for personality at all.

There's a difference between small companies put together by people who know what they're doing and small companies that some dude just grew organically. There are plenty of the latter and they don't necessarily know poo poo about hiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Blackjack2000 posted:

No. Can you give me an example of how you tease a personality characteristic out of someone when that person is focusing all of their efforts on being agreeable and likable?

I've only interviewed about a dozen people in person, but I can remember 2 of them having weird personality flaws that would have made them a problem to work with. One of them was just generally creepy without anything funny enough to mention. The other guy proclaimed that he was the best programmer I would ever meet, and I was only lucky enough to be interviewing him because he had to live near the office location (about 45 minutes outside downtown) for some random reason I can't remember.

I certainly wasn't trying to tease any secrets out of them. Lots of people are just really weird and don't try to hide it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Back to bad with money talk:

I was talking to my wife about Slow Motion's thread and told her about how he took out a loan against his 401k, to which she responded, "oh yeah, that's what my mom did to pay for my sister's college tuition".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

The Mandingo posted:

I was talking to my wife about Slow Motion's thread and told her about how he took out a loan against his 401k, to which she responded, "oh yeah, that's what my mom did to pay for my sister's college tuition".

Years back my workplace wanted to discourage retirement loans unless it was for <emergency> or something. A lady that works here (social worker) got a loan against her retirement account because her sister wanted to buy a horse. Let that marinate for a bit.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Mandingo posted:

Taking out a loan that pays interest to yourself to pay for your child's education = bad with money

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Radbot posted:

Taking out a loan that pays interest to yourself to pay for your child's education = bad with money

Yes, cashing out an investment that is earning a passive income and then "paying interest to yourself" is pretty stupid.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

dreesemonkey posted:

Years back my workplace wanted to discourage retirement loans unless it was for <emergency> or something. A lady that works here (social worker) got a loan against her retirement account because her sister wanted to buy a horse. Let that marinate for a bit.

It could be an investment horse like California Chrome because that happens ALL the time.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Horse Equity.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Radbot posted:

I didn't mention it, but this child's education is taking place in Europe. We live in Texas. She travels between Europe and Texas 2-3 times per semester.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

canyoneer posted:

Yes, cashing out an investment that is earning a passive income and then "paying interest to yourself" is pretty stupid.

Unless, you know, you're investing in your daughter's education with the money and not blowing it on truck equity.

The last two pages have been insane. First apparently a dude shouldn't have gotten fired for disobeying two direct orders from his boss (or the interview process should have caught his personality defects???) and now paying for your child's college with money that you actually have is bad with money.

The Mandingo posted:

I didn't mention it, but this child's education is taking place in Europe. We live in Texas. She travels between Europe and Texas 2-3 times per semester.

Oh ok carry on then

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spermy Smurf posted:

Horse Equity.

Dammit you beat me to it :argh:

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Using a 401k loan instead of a student loan is not a good idea. This page outlines pretty much why: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/paying-your-share/borrowing-from-your-401k

The big one is that you're paying yourself back with post tax money, completely negating the tax savings of the account, and you may be in a higher tax bracket now than when you initially contributed.

Also the lost passive income, lost compound interest, etc. Just take out a regular student loan, the interest rates aren't CC rates and it doesn't impact your retirement. Plus if you lose your job during the repayment you get nailed with the full income tax burden...

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Equine Equity sounds much better

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
I'm buying a racehorse named Truck Equity.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Equine Equity sounds much better

Ticker symbol EQEQ, own a share of a company that owns a bunch of horses!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

xie posted:

Using a 401k loan instead of a student loan is not a good idea. This page outlines pretty much why: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/paying-your-share/borrowing-from-your-401k

The big one is that you're paying yourself back with post tax money, completely negating the tax savings of the account, and you may be in a higher tax bracket now than when you initially contributed.

Also the lost passive income, lost compound interest, etc. Just take out a regular student loan, the interest rates aren't CC rates and it doesn't impact your retirement. Plus if you lose your job during the repayment you get nailed with the full income tax burden...

Point 1 is negated if you have a Roth 401(k). I don't understand point 2, though I've heard it brought up before. If you're at the point where you're getting a 401(k) loan, you're probably at the point where the additional cost of new loans will cause you to reduce your 401(k) contribution, thus negating point 2, right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Radbot posted:

Point 1 is negated if you have a Roth 401(k). I don't understand point 2, though I've heard it brought up before. If you're at the point where you're getting a 401(k) loan, you're probably at the point where the additional cost of new loans will cause you to reduce your 401(k) contribution, thus negating point 2, right?
If you've taken out a 401k loan, the money you took out isn't compounding while you pay it off. If you took out a normal loan and reduced your contributions, you'd still be getting that compound interest on your savings.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Radbot posted:

If something happens to your job, you have to immediately pay that money back or declare it all as income, paying a further 10% penalty and income tax on the money. Which you almost certainly don't have except to take even more money out of your 401k. It is much harder to make back the money once you are 50+ in order to achieve your retirement goals.

If you are paying for college with a 401k, it almost certainly means that it is the only money you have left (because if you had non-401k/IRA money, why wouldn't you use that first?). It probably also means that you haven't been maxing your retirement contributions (because if you are, then you can just stop contributing and that is already $18,000+ per parent per year). So, based on those two assumptions, people assume you basically can't afford to do it if you have to do it.

I also think that the average 18 year old will make smarter decisions about what to major in, how much binge drinking to do etc, when they see the student loans piling up. A lot of parents want to pay for college for their kids without really communicating exactly what it is costing them to do so to the kid.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Radbot posted:

The interest is net post tax, but not the principle, so the true cost is the loss of the tax defferment on the 4% per year of the principle (or whatever the % is now)

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Devor posted:

If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

:psyboom:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
"You're paying it back with post-tax dollars" is a red herring because a normal student loan also gets paid back after tax except for the interest deduction. It's mostly a wash.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Okay I kind of always suspected Dave Ramsey was a stupid rear end in a top hat who basically spouted the no poo poo guide to money (take in more than you spend also you're a bad person), but I never thought he was actually malicious, now I know better:

Dave Ramsey posted:

Truthfully, if you have a go-getter personality, and you can follow some basic business and personal etiquette, you can make a lot of money in an MLM. The trick is to avoid all the potential pitfalls along the way!

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/guide-joining-multilevel-marketing-company

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, what an idiot.

. . . Although that's all good advice he's giving there, the problem is if you actually follow it there is literally no MLM in the world that you would join!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't think this is particularly new, back when I listened to him ~8 years ago he mentioned knowing some successful people in MLMs.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I guess he failed to notice that they rose to riches on the blood sweat and tears of the less fortunate

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm trying to think of a good reason to take a 401(k) loan, and the only one I can think of is if you owe money to the mafia and they are going to break your legs otherwise. Maybe if the loan was super short-term, like sub 6 months?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
if you think your 401k portfolio is gonna go down it might work out, not quite sure of the mechanics of the loan

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My friend's wife has gotten swept up in MLMish stuff recently, reselling jewelry mostly. Some of her friends were doing it, and said they were doing well enough, so she jumped in with a referral link or something. Real nice lady looking to make some extra cash, but it's been a little awkward when she brings pamphlets to hand out to everyone.

After a few months she wrote it off, and sold the stock she had on hand to family at a loss "just to get rid of it," and bought a bunch more from a different company. She's getting to the same point with that one too, and asking if we want some charm bracelets for free (no one does.)

She's working with a third one now, which I think is basically a drop shipping company for jewelry. She has a "store" on their website with jewelry she has "curated." I'm pretty sure she hasn't been forced to buy any "stock" for them, which I suppose is better than the other two.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 18, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

if you think your 401k portfolio is gonna go down it might work out, not quite sure of the mechanics of the loan

That portion of the portfolio can't gain or lose value until the loan is repaid so it does work in your favor if the market goes down, but because "The Market Always Goes Up" more often than not it hurts you(especially the longer the term is).

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'll listen to Ramsey's radio show occasionally on my commute. Guy comes across as tone deaf on any subject that isn't personal finance 101.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Inverse Icarus posted:

Ticker symbol EQEQ, own a share of a company that owns a bunch of horses!

It's an ETF.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pathetic little tramp posted:

Okay I kind of always suspected Dave Ramsey was a stupid rear end in a top hat who basically spouted the no poo poo guide to money (take in more than you spend also you're a bad person), but I never thought he was actually malicious, now I know better:

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/guide-joining-multilevel-marketing-company

I guess technically he's right in a way, it takes a certain kind of person to do well in an MLM. Unfortunately, to do well in an MLM, you have to walk all over other people, and that's morally reprehensible. The average person who gets sucked up into that thinking that they're responsible for "selling" or "helping others" is not the kind of person who will do well.

I know two people have have done extremely well for themselves by joining an MLM, and truthfully I never had any doubt that they would make it. But that's because I knew they'd be aiming for the top and were less interested in selling the product over gaining power. They basically threw away any chance they had at being decent human beings in the process and I no longer talk to them. Every so often I'll get an errant text message from one trying to recruit me which I ignore.

That's where they succeeded over the average person who gets sucked in. They don't try to sell me the product, they try to recruit me to be the sucker to be taken advantage of.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 18, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

I'll listen to Ramsey's radio show occasionally on my commute. Guy comes across as tone deaf on any subject that isn't personal finance 101.

That's his whole schtick, though. Dave Ramsey is for people who need remedial personal finance education with simple, definitive rules to follow. If you've been living paycheck to paycheck your whole life and have mountains of debt, then most of his advice is reasonably sound.

But like most things, once you master the basics the real world has a lot more shades of grey to it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The problem with every MLM scheme that I've ever come across is that it takes the people that sells for them and makes them evaluate every person they interact with as a sales mark instead of a friend or family. I have no patience for that kind of behavior. No I don't want to buy your loving Advocare spark and I certainly don't want to sign up as a distributor underneath you, Grandma.

young posty
Feb 11, 2015

by Lowtax
Excuse me I traded my horse for a truck and got a 400% ROI*

*my money is horsepower birches

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

I stopped listening for a couple years but started up again because he's gotten more unhinged, which I find entertaining. He's got this thing going with the Bogleheads forum now where they'll post a thread that Ramsey's expected 12% annual rate of returns on mutual funds is ridiculous, and then a day or two later he'll go off on a rant about how the "financial goobers" of the internet think they know better than a multi-millionaire (him). Also he'll occasionally read financial articles aloud on the radio and completely misunderstand basic math, etc.

For content: My nextdoor neighbor is really outgoing and the kind of person who gets to know everyone in the neighborhood. A few times now this older retired couple who lives a few buildings away from us has left her notes begging for money because they can't afford the payments on their new Mustang. Only problem is they seem to forget which apartment is hers about half the time and leave them inside our screen door instead. This morning I got a new one saying that they're still trying to pay off the Christmas gifts they got for their kids and grandkids, and can't make the car payment again this month. They'll take anything but $500 would "really save them right now." My neighbor says she's never given them a penny so I'm not sure why they keep asking. It's another example of family gifts taking precedence over monthly bills, not that they can afford the car in the first place.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Dave Ramsey is really big with the Evangelical crowd. A guy I work with recently closed on a house he's been trying to sell for a few years that was underwater. They had to come forward with like 10 grand at closing and he said it "wiped out" their savings, and since they don't have credit cards their credit rating will now start tanking since the mortgage was their one and only line of credit. They are basically starting at 0, nearing 40 with 2 young kids. We got on the topic of teaching our kids responsible use of money and I floated the idea of setting up a mock savings account (for my 8 year old) and reward him with not spending money but earning interest so he can see the balance grow. Guy responded "well we are going to do something like that, by teaching them how to budget, but not worry about stuff like interest. First thing is to take 10% off the top - that goes to the church - then move on to..." and I kind of zoned out after that.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm not gonna rag on people for teaching their kids to budget charitable donations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

at the date posted:

I'm not gonna rag on people for teaching their kids to budget charitable donations

Yes but it's a church and this is the internet

Someone asked me to be part of their MLM scheme (which is always the reason why someone you haven't talked to in 10 years contacts you on facebook). It was for a company called Lifevantage, which sells vitamins. They even sell vitamins for your dog!

For fun, I looked at the literature. Surprisingly, they showed the % of associates that are at different tiers, but used some deceptive filtering to make it look like it was easy to be a high roller. A careful reading of their own chart shows that less than 3% of "active distributors" (who have made a sale in the last 3 months) earn more than $100/month. Should be a red flag to the careful reader.

Since they're a public company, I looked up their SEC filings compared to their literature of how much everyone makes. Last year, they paid out $104M in commissions, across 200,000 active distributors. So, yeah, sign up and you'll make a mean salary of $500/year.
Or, more likely, 300 people are splitting $80M and the other 199,700 chumps are "buying inventory", "building clientele" and splitting the other $24M.

MLM is so horrible, because the people who are genuine badasses at it and making real money could be making way more selling anything else and be more honest while they are at it.

• Locked thread