Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

jBrereton posted:

Two things straight away:

- You'll get way less errors in Windows if you don't include that first '/'.
- Normally, nations get #homerealm 1 as well as any additional homerealms, just means you get the usual mix of rainbows and immobiles like the Oracle. If this is a stylistic thing, then fair enough.

Can't say much for the balance, but I don't instantly hate it, which is a step above most mods!

Done! (I actually tried homerealm 1 and it gave my desert nation the Father of Winters pretender, which isn't quite right, but I figured it out)

Turin Turambar posted:

Interesting! I like the idea. The first feeling is that they are a bit UP, that's only from looking at their stats and trying once the expansion phase.

This is a relief, since I was worried I made them too strong. (I imagine this is the usual direction for mod nations). I expect they're really powerful later on once you hit some research targets. With Conj7 for Living Air/Living Fire and Marids, and Evo7 for Rain of Stones and Fire Storm, as well as the usual Storm + Thunderstrike spam they'd be terrifying. Early game has some problems since everything is really low prot. There are no shields so indy archers will pretty much always inflict attrition unless you're clever with arrow decoys and positioning. But I think that's ok, given their late game power? That might be the kind of thing that only comes out in a proper MP playtest.

(at the same time, I'm worried about them ending up as another Berytos, a nation that is very good on paper but in practice just gets rushed by EA sacreds and dies)

Slaan posted:

I also only tried them for expansion a couple of times and they seem decently balanced enough. The Ifrit is probably a little too expensive at nearly 500 gold. Maybe drop his air/fire random paths by one and make it closer to 300? Still a great battle mage but not bank busting either.

Yeah I'm really not sure what to make of the ifrit. It's comparable to an Eagle King (same amount of paths, but cheaper and a weaker chassis) or a Dai Oni (more paths, and about the same cost). On the other hand, ifrits can get a4 or f4 or e2 for RoS, all of which are really useful path combos. I guess you are paying for the high hp ethereal stormflying chassis a bit, but it still seems like a lot to me, and I don't want to tone down their path randoms. They also don't have feet! What I might do is lower their cost to 430 or so (Vanadrott level) but make them cap only as well as slow-to-recruit, since that gates your access to them and means you can't just turn freely gold into firestormers and RoSers in the lategame. What do you think?

e: Absum suggested making ifrits A3F2 ?AFE instead of A2F2 ??AFE, which I really like. You still get A4 naturally, and you can use a Si'lah to make a Skull of Fire for F4 if you want it. But you don't get recruitable E2 anywhere anymore, so you have to empower a ghul sorcerer into e2 before you can make boots and blood stones for proper RoS stuff. And only once you get marids can you start earthquaking, which is really nice on Juhera since all your best poo poo floats. I think that's a nice progression, so I'm going with it. Seems to make the big path benchmarks harder to get, but still attainable, you just have to stretch a bit.

Boing fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Slaan posted:

I also only tried them for expansion a couple of times and they seem decently balanced enough. The Ifrit is probably a little too expensive at nearly 500 gold. Maybe drop his air/fire random paths by one and make it closer to 300? Still a great battle mage but not bank busting either.

i haven't looked at the mod yet but there are plenty of cap-only mages hanging out around the 500 gold mark in the early age

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Is the autocalc bad, shouldn't we just let that decide gold costs for us

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Enjoy posted:

Is the autocalc bad, shouldn't we just let that decide gold costs for us

The autocalc only works for commanders and doesn't take a bunch of things into account; it's really only good for calculating costs based on magic paths and basic special abilities. Also for calculating pgod point costs.

Also it's completely wrong about how much some things are worth. Illwinter don't even use it because there are a ton of dudes who autocalc to a much higher (in some cases lower) price than what they are actually costed at in-game.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Neruz posted:

The autocalc only works for commanders and doesn't take a bunch of things into account; it's really only good for calculating costs based on magic paths and basic special abilities. Also for calculating pgod point costs.

Also it's completely wrong about how much some things are worth. Illwinter don't even use it because there are a ton of dudes who autocalc to a much higher (in some cases lower) price than what they are actually costed at in-game.

These all seem to be autocalced with 10-30g adjustments
http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspec...ype=2&unitnat=1

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

These all seem to be autocalced with 10-30g adjustments
http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspec...ype=2&unitnat=1

Autocalc 10010 is the default value for humans, and other races get different amounts based on their race. For examples, giants are autocalc'd with 10030. The modding manual has base-cost suggestions based on race.

Of course, there are still exceptions. For example, mictlan's priest-mages are autocalced downward, because mictlan is a weak nation that needs that little-extra mage buff. :)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

(at the same time, I'm worried about them ending up as another Berytos, a nation that is very good on paper but in practice just gets rushed by EA sacreds and dies)
Only way to find that stuff out is to test it a bit. I'm running them up against a Dom 9 F6 Dragon from TNN, if they get trashed too hard then the nation does have problems, but it wouldn't be the only one.

The truth is that the glamour nations especially probably need to take a big whack from the nerf bat before we start talking about mod nation balance.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I used the autocalc at first and then adjusted costs based from there. Also it seemed to be loving up gold costs and stuff on the mod inspector. Those gold costs are correct now, although it's still showing ghuls as mapmove 3 when they should be 2, and I have no idea why.

So far in my tests the Ghul Cavalry have been extremely strong because of their second scorpion form, so I've toned the scorpion survivability down a bit, but they're still really good and should be a good staple in early wars. Ifrits are also apparently quite thuggable with low research levels, so hopefully they can survive in the EA thunderdome, but you're right we'll just have to see.

Boing fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 25, 2015

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Well that was weird. I had a sizable army early game as MA R'lyeh, and had just attacked nearby Pelagias captial to great success. No problem there. Then next turn I moved off his seiged cap to attack the adjacent province where his real army + pretender was. This province was also a throne. Anyway I expect an easy win because I had more mind blast spammers than he had actual units so no way he can win right? At the battle screen it says he trash canned nearly every unit I had, but when I went to view the battle it was a lone lobo guard running up and dying to his force. What the gently caress? My original army didn't have a single lobo guard in it. Was all shark tribes, meteorite guards and illithid.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Could it be a wrong version of a mod? Corrupted turn file?

Grytorm
Jul 8, 2013
I had an idea for a nation. A splinter faction of Tien Chi in the middle era. They would be themed around the tomb of Emperor Qin but not the Terra Cotta army. They could summon Ancestor spirits with one of their starting sites and their cap sacreds would turn into Ancestors maybe at the capital when they died.

Their Mages would include:

STR Cap D2E2H2?1(DESW)
Cap only maybe STR W2A1H1?1(SAD)
Anywhere D1H1?1(DSEW)
Anywhere W1H1

They would be a mix of Mid and Early Tien Chi units tending toward the lighter armored ones and no access to crossbows. They would have the same summons as Tien Chi but with additional access to either a Ghost General like guy or a Spirit possessing a suit of Jade armor. Maybe with stone armor summons as well.

They would have a Monkey hero White One with Nature Astral and Death magic themed around seeking the celestial realm and contact with the Yakshas away from his homeland. If a late age version was added it would probably borrow bits from Mid Tien Chi and Mid Bandar Log.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So in an allages game, I as Lemuria decided to drop fat stacks of ghosts on my neighbor MA Marignon at around the start of Year 2 before he can actually get fully rolling, which seems like a good idea. He has F9B9 blesses for his flagellant swarms. This may be an issue.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You will die screaming.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Grytorm posted:

I had an idea for a nation. A splinter faction of Tien Chi in the middle era. They would be themed around the tomb of Emperor Qin but not the Terra Cotta army. They could summon Ancestor spirits with one of their starting sites and their cap sacreds would turn into Ancestors maybe at the capital when they died.

Their Mages would include:

STR Cap D2E2H2?1(DESW)
Cap only maybe STR W2A1H1?1(SAD)
Anywhere D1H1?1(DSEW)
Anywhere W1H1

They would be a mix of Mid and Early Tien Chi units tending toward the lighter armored ones and no access to crossbows. They would have the same summons as Tien Chi but with additional access to either a Ghost General like guy or a Spirit possessing a suit of Jade armor. Maybe with stone armor summons as well.

They would have a Monkey hero White One with Nature Astral and Death magic themed around seeking the celestial realm and contact with the Yakshas away from his homeland. If a late age version was added it would probably borrow bits from Mid Tien Chi and Mid Bandar Log.

Journey to the East

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Archenteron posted:

So in an allages game, I as Lemuria decided to drop fat stacks of ghosts on my neighbor MA Marignon at around the start of Year 2 before he can actually get fully rolling, which seems like a good idea. He has F9B9 blesses for his flagellant swarms. This may be an issue.

marignon has a site that kills ghosts.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Harrower posted:

Well that was weird. I had a sizable army early game as MA R'lyeh, and had just attacked nearby Pelagias captial to great success. No problem there. Then next turn I moved off his seiged cap to attack the adjacent province where his real army + pretender was. This province was also a throne. Anyway I expect an easy win because I had more mind blast spammers than he had actual units so no way he can win right? At the battle screen it says he trash canned nearly every unit I had, but when I went to view the battle it was a lone lobo guard running up and dying to his force. What the gently caress? My original army didn't have a single lobo guard in it. Was all shark tribes, meteorite guards and illithid.
The report is always right, the replay can be bugged.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
http://www.illwinter.com/coe4/
Get hype for planes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Different kind of plane :(

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It actually looks kind of entertaining... :ohdear:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Neruz posted:

It actually looks kind of entertaining... :ohdear:

Until a deer defeats you on turn 3

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

ChickenWing posted:

Until a deer defeats you on turn 3

The animals of Elysium being murderous dickbags is actually part of the game lore now

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

That is goddamn amazing

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

ChickenWing posted:

That is goddamn amazing

The nice part is that if you have archers, you can just shoot attacking animals from behind your gate so it's not too bad. Makes siege a giant pain in the rear end if you don't have siege weapons or fliers though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Jokes on you all I need to get rolling are temples and a lot of screaming men who believe in god really hard. Research is for nerds.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
b9f9 flags are basically those headless suicide bomb dudes from serious sam

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Picking a fight with MA Marig as Lemuria seems particularly funny since you're literally one of MA Marig's only good matchups in the entire game

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
MA Mari even does better against Lemuria than they do against MA Ermor :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

on the other hand, apostasy

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

on the other hand, apostasy

I'm sure maybe taking control of one flagellant a turn per caster will have a significant impact on the battle :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I've had it used to hijack my loving grand inquisitors and poo poo before okay. It's a scarring experience. :negative:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's a MR resists easily spell right, so is the difficulty 6 + DRN vs MR + DRN?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Welp I guess I was hosed from the get-go then since marignon was my immediate neighbor, so I decided to start the inevitable deathwar on my terms instead of his. We'll see how this ends up, I guess (Probably with me tarpitting him until Ermor eats him from the other side, hopefully)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kitfox88 posted:

I've had it used to hijack my loving grand inquisitors and poo poo before okay. It's a scarring experience. :negative:

That's because you didn't have any sacred troops in the fight silly

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Remember guys, when you're site searching with your pretender make sure to script him to retreat so this doesn't happen.

Throne of beasts.gif:

gently caress.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Baudin posted:

Remember guys, when you're site searching with your pretender make sure to script him to retreat so this doesn't happen.

Throne of beasts.gif:

gently caress.

this makes my archmage death no longer the most shameful

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I had Throne of War, Bones, and Beasts active at the same time.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

It's a MR resists easily spell right, so is the difficulty 6 + DRN vs MR + DRN?
8 I think, with 12 as normal MRN? Plus likely penetration bonuses if they're in a communion.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

amuayse posted:

I had Throne of War, Bones, and Beasts active at the same time.

jesus christ how horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

jesus christ how horrifying

Nothing that 25 pd in every province can't handle.

• Locked thread