Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ello Atsy, tallon roll, lightning reflexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Probably something similar to the Tallon Roll then, but with the ship flipping to face to the front instead of the rear at the end. Could be interesting with a 1 speed turn to bounce sideways and go slow and let someone overshoot you.

Edit: end result isn't that different from a barrel roll though, so I doubt we'd see it. Would be neat though.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've never actually had any success with bombs ever and never use TIE Bombers so I probably won't use the Punisher much at all, but I like collecting ships and some of the cards are good.

Kinda wish they could do an Assault Gunboat or TIE Avenger, though. Anybody get any of those 3D printed ones?

I haven't but I've thought about it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5Q63E4BGW/xg-1-assault-gunboat-1-270?li=shop-results&optionId=42441847

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S3XYDCVZW/tie-avenger-1-270?li=shop-results&optionId=43647864

They look pretty crappy in the standard WSF plastic type but the FUD version is supposed to paint up much nicer. I keep figuring FFG is running so low on new ships to include that the Assault Gunboat especially is likely to be right around the corner.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Although TFA was light on new ships, we know they design a few waves in advance. They have heaps and heaps of EU ships (especially for scum) and I bet those will carry them until Rogue One drops and probably delivers some new OT era ships.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

Here's my favorite Poe/Miranda/B-Wing build:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!175:27,-1,3,-1:-1:15:;139:135,-1,-1,-1,61,-1,-1:-1:-1:;44:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:

B-Wing turns into a very annoying blocker with advanced sensors. Poe and Miranda dance circles and regenerate any glancing damage.

Punisher is fun, but not top tier. Deathrain is the best bomber in the game, and Redline is the best missile platform. But they're expensive for what they give you.

For my education, how does advanced sensors on a PS2 B-Wing help with blocking?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Increases the number of places you can be. You can also have actions before you bump so if you can shoot something else it's still modified.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've never actually had any success with bombs ever and never use TIE Bombers so I probably won't use the Punisher much at all, but I like collecting ships and some of the cards are good.

Kinda wish they could do an Assault Gunboat or TIE Avenger, though. Anybody get any of those 3D printed ones?

ZenMastaT posted:

I haven't but I've thought about it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5Q63E4BGW/xg-1-assault-gunboat-1-270?li=shop-results&optionId=42441847

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S3XYDCVZW/tie-avenger-1-270?li=shop-results&optionId=43647864

They look pretty crappy in the standard WSF plastic type but the FUD version is supposed to paint up much nicer. I keep figuring FFG is running so low on new ships to include that the Assault Gunboat especially is likely to be right around the corner.

I got the FUD versions of these, they're pretty nice as this lovely phone photo fails to prove.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Nah, although a barrel roll and then a straight gets kind of the same effect. A sideslip would be a bank or turn template that moved you forward and to the left/right, but left your nose on the same heading you

Bank then boost.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Chemmy posted:

Bank then boost.

That'd do it nicely.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hard 1 then Daredevil.

Hard 2 then boost on Blue Ace.

There are a few ways. None of them are on dials.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

For my education, how does advanced sensors on a PS2 B-Wing help with blocking?

One of the weaknesses of the B-wing is getting the 2K gummed up by a ship that is facing you(a large base can do this while bumping you in a lot of ways), so they can just fly right by and you can't give chase.

Advanced sensors lets you barrel roll before moving to deal with this. It also lets you act every turn even when you do red maneuvers, so long as you do a green afterward.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 24, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ugh I want to fly some Defenders, but it really pisses me off that the TIEmk2 is only in the Punisher and is the best thing for... the Defender. And not likely to get reprinted anywhere.

Defenders are going to be grand, but I might end up getting those on ebay. Just too bloody awkward otherwise, I really have no need whatsoever for two punishers.

But I also have no need whatsoever for the lambda, slave 1, or falcon I just bought entirely for like 5 upgrade cards oh arg.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

Ugh I want to fly some Defenders, but it really pisses me off that the TIEmk2 is only in the Punisher and is the best thing for... the Defender. And not likely to get reprinted anywhere.

Defenders are going to be grand, but I might end up getting those on ebay. Just too bloody awkward otherwise, I really have no need whatsoever for two punishers.

But I also have no need whatsoever for the lambda, slave 1, or falcon I just bought entirely for like 5 upgrade cards oh arg.

The engine mk.2 is actually not that necessary on defenders especially when they get the titles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The engine mk.2 is actually not that necessary on defenders especially when they get the titles.

No, but it's still nice, and they're not desperate for any other mods I don't think.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
You get two per Punisher as well, so unless you really want a triple Defender list you only need to buy one Punisher. And Deathrain is actually both super good and fun in the right list.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's not un-tempting, and I doubt I'm looking at running trip defenders, mostly because Phantoms rule.

E: trip defenders is not actually un-tempting. 3 PS1 defenders, TIE/D, one tractor beam, two ions, all TIE Mk 2, formation flying, a tonne of greens, white k-turns, getting six shots per round and 18HP between them, and probably ionising most large ships. It's not necessarily bad. I mean, the tractor beam probably dies in the first round and screws the whole list, but meh.

But two Punishers, a defender and two imp vets sets is painful.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 24, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I may have lost one of my Royal Guard TIE cards. :(

Anyone want to sell me one before I go to ebay?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

At the last tournament I went to, my opponent placed one of his TIE/fos backwards in the starting area.

He flew it backwards for a few turns and didnt' realize what he'd done until it was time to shoot.

I just let him turn it around because, hey, it obviously wasn't his intention to point it backwards.

Wasn't there a MWG Combat Maneuvers where dude flies a bunch of TIE Fighters facing backwards accidentally like this? I feel like it's something they would do.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Played against a TIE/x7 titled Vessery with Juke last night and it was brutal.

35 points of pure murder.

Consistent 3 or 4 hits with an evade to spend if he needed it and I was forced to focus every turn or he could push damage through with juke. It made it hard for VI, R2-D2 Poe to deal with in the end game because all I could do was green move and focus; anything else was just going to get Poe vaporised but I just kept getting whittled down bit by bit. I would take some hits, maybe lose a hull and then do a risky maneuver and fly over a rock to buy some time to regen shields, rinse and repeat. He could just k-turn or bank all day getting all his actions without much risk of taking fire back.

The game dragged on for ages without Poe dying but it was impossible to get a modified shot in which meant no damage against a focus-evaded 3 green dice ship and tallon rolls left me extremely vulnerable. I ended up conceding after 2.5 hours because I was going to get unlucky eventually.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
What was he flying alongside Vessery? I've been trying to put together a list with a bunch of TIE/Adv with ACs to mark everything with target locks so Vessery would have carte blanche on multiple ships.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Tacopocalypse posted:

What was he flying alongside Vessery? I've been trying to put together a list with a bunch of TIE/Adv with ACs to mark everything with target locks so Vessery would have carte blanche on multiple ships.

Honestly you could just fly with Vessery and VI with Rexler, so you can TL with Rexler but still fire first with Vessery so he keeps the TL the whole time. That and double Defender sounds like a boatload of fun once the titles hit. Rexler with X7, Vessery with TIE/D and Tractor Beam, leaves you 28 points. I'd probably spend it on a third Defender, but you could also give Rexler Juke and spend the last 26 points on a couple TIEs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Played against my Chewie + Horton opponent today, did three games and went 1/1/1.

First game was using Strobe's stressbot Wes, Wedge with Predator and R5, and Dutch with naught but a TLT and an R2 Astromech. I won after brutally shutting down Horton's attempt to launch a proton torpedo against me by using Wes to strip his TL away, but beyond that the stress part of things didn't come into play so much. He runs Horton with R2D2 anyway so he leans hard on those green forwards, but between Dutch and Wedge I killed Horton before proceeding to murder Chewie. Integrated Astromech kept Wes alive for an extra round of shooting so it was totally worthwhile. I also realized I only have a single R5 Astromech so hmm.

Second game I used Redline with Cluster Missiles, FCS, Ion Bombs, and Extra Munitions along with Howlrunner + 3x Black Squad w/Crack Shot. I lost this one but the opening salvo where I dumped TL'd Cluster Missiles and 4 TIE's with rerolls and Crack Shots brought Chewie from full health to 5 hull remaining in the span of one glorious round. From there I wound up getting ion locked by Horton, slowly got whittled down and even after I killed Chewie off a single Black Squaddie and empty Redline couldn't bring down a full health Horton.

Third game I actually let him borrow Wes, Wedge, and Dutch and flew Palpshuttle plus Carnor and Soontir against him. Rooting for both sides is fun. We had to call it a draw on account of time, the Shuttle was on 2 remaining hull, Dutch had died, and Wedge got to ignore a Direct Hit that would have killed him thanks to Integrated Astromech while Carnor was at 2 hull thanks to a seismic charge. Palpatine is always hilarious. Some good wanging.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

Played against my Chewie + Horton opponent today, did three games and went 1/1/1.

First game was using Strobe's stressbot Wes, Wedge with Predator and R5, and Dutch with naught but a TLT and an R2 Astromech. I won after brutally shutting down Horton's attempt to launch a proton torpedo against me by using Wes to strip his TL away, but beyond that the stress part of things didn't come into play so much. He runs Horton with R2D2 anyway so he leans hard on those green forwards, but between Dutch and Wedge I killed Horton before proceeding to murder Chewie. Integrated Astromech kept Wes alive for an extra round of shooting so it was totally worthwhile. I also realized I only have a single R5 Astromech so hmm.

Second game I used Redline with Cluster Missiles, FCS, Ion Bombs, and Extra Munitions along with Howlrunner + 3x Black Squad w/Crack Shot. I lost this one but the opening salvo where I dumped TL'd Cluster Missiles and 4 TIE's with rerolls and Crack Shots brought Chewie from full health to 5 hull remaining in the span of one glorious round. From there I wound up getting ion locked by Horton, slowly got whittled down and even after I killed Chewie off a single Black Squaddie and empty Redline couldn't bring down a full health Horton.

Third game I actually let him borrow Wes, Wedge, and Dutch and flew Palpshuttle plus Carnor and Soontir against him. Rooting for both sides is fun. We had to call it a draw on account of time, the Shuttle was on 2 remaining hull, Dutch had died, and Wedge got to ignore a Direct Hit that would have killed him thanks to Integrated Astromech while Carnor was at 2 hull thanks to a seismic charge. Palpatine is always hilarious. Some good wanging.

The thing about Wes is shutting down white maneuvers on ships that need to do actions, or ships that already stress themselves that need to remain unstressed. Hit Soontir even once and he's hosed. Hit Corran once and he's hosed. Hit Dash and he's probably hosed. Hit a Decimator and it's double hosed if it has Isard, because now it can't outrun my drat X-wings and it has to keep doing greens or it loses Isard. Hit Horton or Chewie and they probably doesn't give much of a poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

The thing about Wes is shutting down white maneuvers on ships that need to do actions, or ships that already stress themselves that need to remain unstressed. Hit Soontir even once and he's hosed. Hit Corran once and he's hosed. Hit Dash and he's probably hosed. Hit a Decimator and it's double hosed if it has Isard, because now it can't outrun my drat X-wings and it has to keep doing greens or it loses Isard. Hit Horton or Chewie and they probably doesn't give much of a poo poo.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My local meta, such as it is, is big on Chewie and assorted wingmen...but I tell you, I'm looking forward to giving it a spin against that loving Corran list. I dunno about the Flechette Torpedo, but I may keep the stressbot anyway to see how it works for me. Switch Opportunist + R2 for Predator + R5 on Wedge, use R3-A2 on Wes, drop the Astromech from Dutch entirely and keep the seismic charges, and that comes out to 98 points right in the sweet spot.

Strobe posted:

Honestly you could just fly with Vessery and VI with Rexler, so you can TL with Rexler but still fire first with Vessery so he keeps the TL the whole time. That and double Defender sounds like a boatload of fun once the titles hit. Rexler with X7, Vessery with TIE/D and Tractor Beam, leaves you 28 points. I'd probably spend it on a third Defender, but you could also give Rexler Juke and spend the last 26 points on a couple TIEs.

Omicron Group Pilot + Darth Vader is only 24 points :getin:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My local meta, such as it is, is big on Chewie and assorted wingmen...but I tell you, I'm looking forward to giving it a spin against that loving Corran list. I dunno about the Flechette Torpedo, but I may keep the stressbot anyway to see how it works for me. Switch Opportunist + R2 for Predator + R5 on Wedge, use R3-A2 on Wes, drop the Astromech from Dutch entirely and keep the seismic charges, and that comes out to 98 points right in the sweet spot.

That Flechette Torpedo is hilarious. I don't think it's quite truly necessary, but dropping two stress on a Corran (who might already be stressed) at PS 10 is pretty great. Since Wes is PS 10, he gets to move last, guarantee that he has the TL for it, and then drop double stress and strip a token all in one fell swoop.

I've swapped down to Predator + R5 on Wedge, too. It's a little bit cheaper, and it's more useful in the PS 2 swarm meta that's redeveloped in my neck of the woods. Runs roughly the same amount of net offense as Opportunist with a lower peak damage but much higher next turn maneuverability.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Tacopocalypse posted:

A vader without engine and soontir with the target lock upgrade instead of stealth device. I made the mistake of going after vader first because I was worried about him moving at PS11 but without engine he isn't too hard to get in arc anyway.

In retrospect I should have been attempting to blow away the vessery or soontir first depending on who was vulnerable.

e: I'm going to have a lot of fun flying this list once wave 8 and the veterans pack drops.

TIE Defender: · Colonel Vessery (35)
Juke (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x7 (-2)
TIE Avanced Prototype: · The Inquisitor (25)
Juke (2)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)
TIE/fo Fighter: · "Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Comm Relay (3)

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 24, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Deviant posted:

So I may have lost one of my Royal Guard TIE cards. :(

Anyone want to sell me one before I go to ebay?

Try contacting FFG for a replacement?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Has anyone come up with a good way to use youngster yet?

Because I tried both expose and marksmanship tonight, and was not impressed. At all. Every time I wished I had just focused instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

Because I tried both expose and marksmanship tonight, and was not impressed. At all. Every time I wished I had just focused instead.

My guess is that Youngster is going to be relegated to mostly gimmicky lists until FFG "coincidentally" makes a rad new requires-action EPT following the Assault Carrier's release and suddenly he's going to explode in popularity and everyone's going to want a Gozanti of their own.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

Nope, he's pretty unimpressive. The only new TIE that's really good is Scourge, the rest are janky combo ships that will work so rarely in practice it's not worth the effort IMO. If an actual good "ACTION" EPT comes along he might be worth playing at some future point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

You saw my Youngster/Obsidian/Scimitar combo on the last page.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I'm hoping for some feedback on a Resistance/First Order 100 pt matchup roster here for a game I'm planning for this weekend. We've only played with some basic out of the intro box missions a few games but I think we're getting comfortable enough to move up to 100 pts now. :v:

Resistance:

T-70 X-Wing: · Poe Dameron (31)
Predator (3)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
· BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)
T-70 X-Wing: Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Wired (1)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Wired (1)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

First Order:

TIE/fo Fighter: · "Omega Ace" (20)
Predator (3)
TIE/fo Fighter: · "Zeta Ace" (18)
Expert Handling (2)
TIE Fighter: · "Howlrunner" (18)
Marksmanship (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)
TIE/fo Fighter: Zeta Squadron Pilot (16)
TIE/fo Fighter: Zeta Squadron Pilot (16)

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I feel like there are some good upgrades in there but nothing that meshes particularly well together. Wired and targeting astromech don't really work because you can only reroll dice once so you will only ever use it defensively if you have the target lock when you k turn.

How about something like this instead?

T-70 X-Wing: · Poe Dameron (31)
Push The Limit (3)
· BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)
Predator (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Predator (3)
Autothrusters (2)

TIE/fo Fighter: Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Crack Shot (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Crack Shot (1)
TIE Fighter: · "Howlrunner" (18)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/fo Fighter: · "Epsilon Leader" (19)
Stealth Device (3)

Poe can barrel with BB-8, push for an action, clear the stress with a green manouver and then take another action so he can focus as well as boost or target lock every turn. The other T-70s aren't as manoeuvrable but hit hard with just a focus and predator, or they can boost and still get some dice modifications.

The tie swarm have some crackshot for pushing damage through with howl to give them rerolls. Howl can push the limit for a focus and evade plus she has the stealth device so she should be able to weather some fire. Epsilon leader is a bit more vulnerable but he takes the stress off howlrunner every turn so she can push the limit while still flying in formation with the rest of the ties. He also let's the whole formation k-turn, then everyone is free to do whatever manouver they want the next turn, they aren't limited to greens, which can help you keep pressure up on the opponent.

Both lists are a little simpler and more focused towards doing one thing which should make the transition to 100 points a little smoother.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 24, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

Jonus in a TIE Shuttle with a fleet officer and an intel agent. Rebel Captive or Weapons Engineer rather than Intel Agent if you can spare two more points somewhere, or if none of the TIEs are TIEds, pay less for the shuttle and get a useful EPT as well, maybe Intimidation.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 24, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Btw, the assault carrier only has one useable card for non-epic that is not a reprint, agent kallus. He's not bad for 2 points.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
For 28 points you can get the new PS 8 bomber pilot Toman with the shuttle title, fleet officer and cool hand for focus battery shenanigans.

Which brings me to this list:

TIE Defender: · Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)
TIE Bomber: · Toman Bren (24)
Cool Hand (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)
Fleet Officer (3)
TIE Defender: · Rexler Brath (37)
Juke (2)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Toman can give Rexler the second focus he needs to trigger his ability, the defenders get free evades and everyone is PS 8. I wanted to put predator on Rexler but someone needs to be getting the target locks for vessery so no double focuses for him.

The new defenders are gonna be fun.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ro5s posted:

I got the FUD versions of these, they're pretty nice as this lovely phone photo fails to prove.

What do you proxy the Gunboat as? TIE Punisher is the closest fit, I'd guess?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Geisladisk posted:

What do you proxy the Gunboat as? TIE Punisher is the closest fit, I'd guess?

I've not actually used it, I mostly just wanted it to paint up. Redline seems like the best match for it though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Yay, I won some wangs finally!

Triumphed over Bottom Liner with this:

Soontir Fel (32)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2)

Carnor Jax (31)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3), Royal Guard TIE (0), Autothrusters (2)

Darth Vader (37)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Predator (3), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

against his Poe/Luke/Wedge setup. Went down to Poe/Vader each with 1 hull, and Poe regenerating via R2, until he flew off the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Deviant posted:

until he flew off the board.

...only because Will shook the table, that was definitely why. :argh:

This game is a lot harder on the table as opposed to Vassal

• Locked thread