Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

senae posted:

The Wachoskis Speed Racer is a movie I avoided for years because so many people said it was terrible. When I eventually did watch it I learned that every single one of those people are incapable of appreciating high art. It might be my favorite film? I need to give it a few more tries, and it is flawed (literally every second the monkey is onscreen is torture) but I loved everything it was trying to do.

Of the Wachoski films I've seen, it's the best, at least.

It's terrible for people that don't know what speed racer is, because what the hell were you expecting other than the result? What is it they wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

ah so goons love to mock the mentally ill.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Cyron posted:

Goons love to mock...

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Doug's just really dumb when it comes to analyzing the deeper meanings of films most times (in a weird twist his Eyes Wide Shut video is...actually not half bad though). He's best when dealing with patently absurd garbage but when he moves into things that require more knowledge of film and a deeper look into it's flaws he kind of falls totally apart.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

END ME SCOOB posted:

How the hell do you want them to be loud and crazy and not realize that's exactly what Jupiter Ascending was?

It's not as crazy and loud as Speed Racer, so I guess it just feels like a step down.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If you liked Choose Your Own Adventure books, but you wish they had a skill component, you might want to read my review of some of the other series of game books that are available on the Internet Archive.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So I just found out Angry Joe almost died in a plane crash a couple of days ago, although if it did crash wouldn't he get insurance for it...and don't oxygen masks get you high?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 11, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

They like to pretend it's self-diagnosed people, but the dirty secret is that the whole self-diagnosed thing is just what they tell themselves so they don't admit they're making GBS threads on people with neurodevelopmental disorders for no real reason other than they're an easy target. :ssh:

JB50 posted:

Goons love to mock...

The law, in its majestic fairness, prohibits both the rich and the poor from sleeping under bridges.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Doug's just really dumb when it comes to analyzing the deeper meanings of films most times (in a weird twist his Eyes Wide Shut video is...actually not half bad though).

So does he only call himself the Nostalgia Critic these days because that's his established brand? Because EWS is in no sense a nostalgic movie for just about anybody.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Cinema Snob is starting off 2016 with whatever the gently caress this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgDLGWyOTQk

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

PassTheRemote posted:

oh yes I remember that review, it was a religion movie that came out around the same time as fifty shades of gray for old people who hate them kids these days with their wrips and safty words.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Cyron posted:

oh yes I remember that review, it was a religion movie that came out around the same time as fifty shades of gray for old people who hate them kids these days with their wrips and safty words.

It's somehow even worse than how that midnight screening made it out to be.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cyron posted:

Yeah it's a good time.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

TheMaestroso posted:

So does he only call himself the Nostalgia Critic these days because that's his established brand? Because EWS is in no sense a nostalgic movie for just about anybody.

Pretty much, yeah. One of the reasons he retired the character the first time was the nostalgia gimmick.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Junior Jr. posted:

So I just found out Angry Joe almost died in a plane crash a couple of days ago, although if it did crash wouldn't he get insurance for it...and don't oxygen masks get you high?

Angry Joe could have been the Buddy Holly of Internet Reviewers.

Ponder that for a moment.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm just glad one half of his fans are calling the other half out for begging for a review after Joe could have died.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

He wanted to drop NC but his fanbase really didn't like Demo Reel so he went back. I'm not knocking him for going back, I've recently dealt with impeding job loss and wouldn't demand he sticks to his guns and deal with that poo poo. But I will knock him for saying he apparently has nothing nostalgic to talk about anymore. C'mon man, there is a treasure trove of poo poo to still talk about from before the 2000s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

I deeply approve of Brad continuing to Snob every lovely religious movie that's pissed him off or perplexed him over the last two years.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I deeply approve of Brad continuing to Snob every lovely religious movie that's pissed him off or perplexed him over the last two years.

Yeah, same. I'd never really watched Brad much before but I just marathon'd a bunch of his religious stuff and boy is that good stuff! Maybe it's because I grew up in the deep south so I was up to my eyebrows in this crap, but it's really refreshing to see someone making fun of it without going all fedora about it.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Interesting wording on that. How come no one's asking if Doug's really into French literature?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Hey Kyle, ever thought of doing a video on Tarkovsky? Jodorowsky?

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Hey Kyle, ever thought of doing a video on Tarkovsky? Jodorowsky?

I sort of did Tarkovsky when I talked about Gerry the last time and, well...

Jodorowsky will be tough. He will be very, very tough. I'd have to do my damndest not to make the video a 6 hour retrospective of every insane thing he's ever done.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

KKall posted:

I sort of did Tarkovsky when I talked about Gerry the last time and, well...

Jodorowsky will be tough. He will be very, very tough. I'd have to do my damndest not to make the video a 6 hour retrospective of every insane thing he's ever done.

So what you're saying is that we can expect Jodorowsky Month/Summer of Jodorowsky some time in the future?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
How obscure would you go? Would you ever do anything on Paradzhanov?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, same. I'd never really watched Brad much before but I just marathon'd a bunch of his religious stuff and boy is that good stuff! Maybe it's because I grew up in the deep south so I was up to my eyebrows in this crap, but it's really refreshing to see someone making fun of it without going all fedora about it.

that is why I love it when brad go after shity religious media like god's not dead and Rock! it's your decision since he is not attacking faith itself. he target the radicals who use the mask of faith to spread hate.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Junior Jr. posted:

...and don't oxygen masks get you high?

I'm pretty sure it's the plane.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junior Jr. posted:

and don't oxygen masks get you high?

Not if the cabin suddenly depressurizes.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

and don't oxygen masks get you high?

Eh, not really. Airplane emergency systems use a 30/70 Oxygen/Nitrogen mixture at a low flow rate. It's basically slightly more oxygenated than regular air, and the flow rate is basically just enough to keep you alive and conscious until the plane can be brought below 20,000 feet (and if a plane depressurizes the goal is to get it on the ground ASAP anyway).

Even high concentration oxygen won't really get you high, not in any substantial way more than just hyperventilating until you're dizzy.

Fight Club lied to you.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

CountFosco posted:

How obscure would you go? Would you ever do anything on Paradzhanov?

Obscurity is no barrier. And I've already had a patron suggest The Color of Pomegranates for a review so I just might in the near future.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Speaking of obscure does anyone have reviews of Hausu? I know Criterion did a short and YMS uses the music on a regular basis but I'd love to see a detailed breakdown of that insanity since I'm sure sure there's a method to the madness.

Edit: said video
https://vimeo.com/110502648

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PassTheRemote posted:

I didn't expect someone to make a creepier romance movie than one based on a kinky sex novel with less understanding of kink than CSI:, but here we are.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

NEVER underestimate the power of fundamentalism to be horrifically creepy about relationships. This is the group that brought us purity balls.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'm surprised some misguided soul hasn't yet tried to capitalize on FSoG's popularity by making a movie about christian domestic discipline.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dijon du jour posted:

I'm surprised some misguided soul hasn't yet tried to capitalize on FSoG's popularity by making a movie about christian domestic discipline.

There's Mills & Boon / Harlequin rip-off books that have that market cornered. Don't think there's been any movies, though.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Cyron posted:

that is why I love it when brad go after shity religious media like god's not dead and Rock! it's your decision since he is not attacking faith itself. he target the radicals who use the mask of faith to spread hate.

I did a search for "Cinema Snob God's Not Dead" on YouTube, and this was one of things it pulled up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_4EssUh4w

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Space Cop on blu ray is now available for order

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I did a search for "Cinema Snob God's Not Dead" on YouTube, and this was one of things it pulled up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_4EssUh4w

He's done crossovers with Hagan before.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
That's a different guy. Indy Christian Review is the one who worked with Hagan:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4lojObGGPuEms-6NUZM5g

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Where'd the joke about calling the Redlettermedia people "hack frauds" in the comments of their videos come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

A good poster posted:

Where'd the joke about calling the Redlettermedia people "hack frauds" in the comments of their videos come from?

Probably a Plinkett review where he called Lucas that.

• Locked thread