Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

TheParadigm posted:

The only reason I'm asking is in case nothing happens with dropdeck weights by the time the kodiak hits. 2 bear 2 kodiak is current limit; 260 allows for 2 cheatas or foxes.

That being said, :frogsiren: I've opened a basic How To Win At Scouting document for goons. :frogsiren:

Builds/team lineups need some populating, so just put what you find working in there.

Most importantly, if you all can spare a moment here and there to jot down where dropships spawn on which map while buzzing through matches, crowdsourcing that data would go a long ways towards ironing out possible spawn points.

I am dissapointed that document isn't just:

1. Be attacker.
2. Get 1 intel
3. Hide until drop ship arrives
4. Rush into the drop zone at the last second

Has worked flawlessly in every Scouting I have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Talmonis posted:

4v8. Heavies and assaults vs. Rapid response team (lights &mediums). Kill the VIP objective.

11 Locusts and 1 Atlas on each team.

I miss boss battle.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Does the tournament gift still produce more CB than intended?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Also, how do invites work now? I recently left WOL because I wanted to do some CW in GIRL. But now everything seems 10x more complicated. I guess I have to pay for an invite now?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Talmonis posted:

4v8. Heavies and assaults vs. Rapid response team (lights &mediums). Kill the VIP objective.

24 player FFA Assassination. Everyone gets one target and can only shoot their target and whoever is trying to kill them. Kill a person, their target becomes your next target. Perma UAV across the map so no hiding. Last man standing wins.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Also, how do invites work now? I recently left WOL because I wanted to do some CW in GIRL. But now everything seems 10x more complicated. I guess I have to pay for an invite now?

2.9 million from the units coffers which is deducted upon sending the invite, and only given back if that person declines the invite.

GIRL's Available Balance as of April 21st, 2015. 10:45 AM : 0

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The hunchback SP as a brawler is no joke now.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Koboje posted:

I am dissapointed that document isn't just:

1. Be attacker.
2. Get 1 intel
3. Hide until drop ship arrives
4. Rush into the drop zone at the last second

Has worked flawlessly in every Scouting I have done.

Hey, feel free to add it. Everyone should have edit privs.

Question: what are payouts like for a "five minutes and hide" match like what you're talking about?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Remember when everyone was bitching about "What are unit coffers even for?" and Paul was like "Don't worry, guys. I'll think of something!"

Thanks, :pgi:

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Remember when everyone was bitching about "What are unit coffers even for?" and Paul was like "Don't worry, guys. I'll think of something!"

Thanks, :pgi:

Thank you :pgi: for locking me out of my old unit

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Thank you :pgi: for locking me out of my old unit

I read the patch notes and was like "Well, I guess the Beer Warriors aren't getting any new members." We have like 225 now, and we don't even do CW so the "pay to join" thing is really gonna kick our rear end.

So now when someone is like "Hey I want to join your super casual unit that doesn't take anything seriously" we have to be like "Well you better pony up some loving c-bills then, nerd."

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I read the patch notes and was like "Well, I guess the Beer Warriors aren't getting any new members." We have like 225 now, and we don't even do CW so the "pay to join" thing is really gonna kick our rear end.

So now when someone is like "Hey I want to join your super casual unit that doesn't take anything seriously" we have to be like "Well you better pony up some loving c-bills then, nerd."

How can you even trade cbills between players? I thought trading was utterly impossible.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Onkel Hedwig posted:

How can you even trade cbills between players? I thought trading was utterly impossible.

You can't, but you could make replacing the cost of the invite one of the rules of joining. You'd get the 1.9m or whatever added back to your coffers, but someone would have to front it in the first place.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Yes, let's make it harder to get involved in the social/community aspects of this game with a dwindling player base. You know, the thing that is most likely to keep people engaged and playing over the long term. loving brilliant.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So I've rebought the Mist Lynx. After a dozen or so games, I feel like I've got a good hold on its play style. So here's....

Stringbean's big dumb mech review: Mist Lynx

For those not in the know, the Mist Lynx is a 25-ton Light Clan Omnimech. So it doesn't matter which chassis you settle on they're all swappable. It's the second fastest (excluding the Jenner-IIC) Clan light, dawdling way behind the Arctic Cheetah. Like the ACH, it comes with an array of Jump Jets that allow for some impressive vertical movement. Also you can equip ECM... In the left arm omnipod..

The MLX also comes equipped with a built in C-AP in its head. Which is a bummer because it's not like you actually would need it. So an extra ton wasted.

Unlike the ACH you don't get the extra tonnage to boat a shitload of lasers. Along with built in heatsinks in the torso, it's still not enough to actually keep the mech cool enough for sustained fights. "But what if you load up some ballistics?" Sure, you can load heavier ballistics and end up retarding your energy output or all together if you think you can just use the smallest ballistics possible (you can but lol your damage).

That being said, the MLX has an extremely unique advantage. Which would be your size. It's hard to hit a smaller target like the MLX while it's jumping about. It's not the fastest mech by any standard, but if anything you're not leading a scout nor a flank. You fit right in amongst the legs of your assaults and heavies. Here you can flit in and out from heavier mech cover and stab at enemies.

Would I recommend it to the average player? No.
Would I recommend it to a Heavy/Assault player? No.
Who is this mech for? People who play lights or faster mediums. More advanced players. Do not buy this as your first mech purchase. Don't buy it at all, unless you feel comfortable with piloting fast-ish, low armored, under gunned mechs.

That's my opinions, they suck, but that's what I got from this mech. If anyone finds this useful, great.

Oh and recommended build:
4x SPL
2x Extra Double Heat Sinks

Chew Butts.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 21, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

:pgi: is retarded, news at 11

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Their intent is pretty obvious. They're bringing in the FTP currency as a sweetener for CW and they're trying to keep a lid on the size of units. I'm guessing what they don't want to happen is one or two mega-guilds squat half the CW map and rake in a bunch of MC. My guess would be that they were trying to design a system that would encourage many, small units.

That said, this is a pants-on-head retarded way of implementing that.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Their intent is pretty obvious. They're bringing in the FTP currency as a sweetener for CW and they're trying to keep a lid on the size of units. I'm guessing what they don't want to happen is one or two mega-guilds squat half the CW map and rake in a bunch of MC. My guess would be that they were trying to design a system that would encourage many, small units.

That said, this is a pants-on-head retarded way of implementing that.

They already are capping MC income at 6 planets per unit and mega-units will take as much territory as they can for bragging rights anyway. So not only is it a bad idea in a vacuum due to its unintentional consequences, they already have another mechanic that does the same thing better and yet neither will do jack poo poo to stop the thing they don't want to have happen.

It's a really impressive piece of incompetence, just firing on all cylinders over there.

e: The other thing is that in-game mechanics can't do anything to stop big units from just splitting up into multiple sub-units and coordinating out of game. It's just a futile exercise from top to bottom.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 21, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

IM GONNA GET hosed UP AND PILOT ROBOTS

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
It would appear that Quick play now has a chance to turn both teams into ghosts who can only spectate and voip with eachother, no huds, no mechs, just enjoy the scenery and then leave.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
^^^^^ whats that supposed to be?

Has anyone tried the buffed LBX10s?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That thing is a phoenix hawk with about 70 tons of weapons mounted on it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah it's a Phoenix Hawk being textured. When they texture it they load up all possible weapons so they can texture all at once I guess

it's a bit big for a 45-tonner?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

A.o.D. posted:

That thing is a phoenix hawk with about 70 tons of weapons mounted on it.

It's the base model with all weapon hardpoints enabled to show where they are.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it's a Phoenix Hawk being textured. When they texture it they load up all possible weapons so they can texture all at once I guess

The jump jet pylons might be problematic, but the legs and torso look very slender for its weight class.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Phawk's lookin pretty good. Kinda regret not grabbing one.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Feel like there's a substantial problem with the incentives for scouting mode. If you're primarily concerned with rep--which seems like a major reason to sit in the 5-minute queues in faction play--then you get no benefit from actually capturing the data and it's all about finding enemies to shoot at. It makes no sense to me why doing the actual objectives of the game mode doesn't give you any reputation.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

^^^^^ whats that supposed to be?

Has anyone tried the buffed LBX10s?

I stuck two of them on a jager s and did alright. Ripped open bits off quick enough and were reasonably useful at 300-400 meters. I probably would have done better with a pair of ac10s but the extra heat sinks I packed on with the 2 free tons were certainly welcome when I needed my MLs.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Those things in its back makes it look taller I suppose. It's shorter than the 55 ton mech the right though without them :shrug:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, with such an awesome deal :pgi: gives you from buying all the packages I don't know how anyone could pass that up.

:commissar:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Beet Wagon posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

armchairyoda posted:

Yeah, with such an awesome deal :pgi: gives you from buying all the packages I don't know how anyone could pass that up.

:commissar:

Yeah, pretty much. Every time they show the new pack mech modeled I have this twinge of "I should have gotten one of those" and then I remember their pricing model and go do something better with my life.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Any idea if there is regularly-scheduled downtime right now or what? I'm enjoying a beer and would like to shoot giant robots in the butt with my Hunchback.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Drone posted:

Any idea if there is regularly-scheduled downtime right now or what? I'm enjoying a beer and would like to shoot giant robots in the butt with my Hunchback.

Nope, but the main website is down as well. Soooooo someone hosed up.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Every time they show the new pack mech modeled I have this twinge of "I should have gotten one of those" and then I remember their pricing model and go do something better with my life.

This is me!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The only pack I picked up was the Rifleman. I'm still pleased with my choice...at least with the PPC and AC/10 variants. I should probably have picked up the Warhammers way back when, but oh well.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Drone posted:

I can't login either! It seems that my garage is loading, but then I get an "AN ERROR OCCURED: Unknown failure".

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
workin' now

kinda

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Getting a login error code 67 which I assume is inline with other are experiencing.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/04/1530-game-services-offline

• Locked thread