Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JawnV6 posted:

I stopped watch dogs 2 because of a glitch or bug or whatever but I don’t go post in their thread about it years after the fact. But yeah, the launch day interactions of the dev console and achievements, everyone got those details? Which console commands exactly? Was it all achievements? Fascinating stuff, don’t leave us hanging!

your reactions to people having extremely legitimate complaints over the massive, massive issues this game had and continues to have are completely loving insane.

people wouldn't still be talking about what a buggy piece of poo poo subnautica was at launch nearly 3 years later if it wasn't still a buggy piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Real downer of a thread this is shaping up to be.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Subnautica is an occasionally buggy mess that I love, and will probably keep replaying for a long time.

I also cannot wait for Below Zero to finish.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
All of this talk got me to reinstall Subnautica for a fresh playthrough and I built a huge skyscraper in the safe shallows how are y'all's days going?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

All of this talk got me to reinstall Subnautica for a fresh playthrough and I built a huge skyscraper in the safe shallows how are y'all's days going?

Pretty good thanks, how about yours?

Make sure to build the rocket where you can see the skyscraper from the cockpit.

I beat this last night! It was a ton of fun, had a lot of bugs but most weren't that big of an issue. Nothing I had to use console commands to fix, thankfully. I've gotten more comfortable with the game world, which makes sense, but my thalassophobia is still going strong as I find out any time I'm at the water's surface in a deep area or when I found out that the playable area is a volcano crater in the middle of loving nothing. I suppose that's the best way to limit the playable area but goddamn I hate it.

I ended up not really making a proper base and just used the cyclops instead. I'll probably revisit the game at some point to make cool bases (and hatch all those eggs that I never built a containment unit for :sweatdrop:) but for now I've got other stuff to play. I'm really glad I picked this one up though! It was a blast.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
I've been following this thread in the hopes to see when Below Zero is playable. The reminders of how buggy Subnautica was, and reading about how they keep scrapping story and redoing Sub Zero is kinda a bummer...

Subnautica was my game of the year 2019. I personally had so many memorable moments playing that game. I keep holding out for Below Zero because I need that magic of discovery and wonder again.

Original Subnautica only got severely buggy for me in the lower levels. All the same things people mentioned: falling through the Cyclops, the Prawn in the alien bases, fish swimming through your base. The pop-in was absolutely atrocious too but I tried my best to look beyond that when playing it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The really annoying thing about fish in bases is I could write a shader in 2 minutes that would address it entirely display side

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
While there are quite a few game breaking bugs, your actual chance of encountering one is very small. Most bugs are at best mild nuisances or comical but harmless glitches. Well, excluding the odd wall hacking apex predator. You might see a few of these if you are unlucky but the core game is still a wonderful experience and there are few games of the style of Subnautica out there.

The complaints in the thread are valid, and Unknown Worlds really should have done more bug fixing and support for the game than they have. But despite this, I would encourage anyone curious not to let this put you off the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

The really annoying thing about fish in bases is I could write a shader in 2 minutes that would address it entirely display side
That would make it even more mysterious when a no-clipping biter swam into my base and ate everything in the containment tank though :v:

Certainly validated my choices of stashing spare fish species in a locker from past mysterious extinction events. But at least those were rare and easily dealt with without reloads.

If this game is on sale I still encourage people to get it with a hefty helping of disclaimers, because when it isn't doing it's damnedest to embarrass itself, then it lives up to the hype. I just wish friends of mine were not still surprised when they got the game, and got eaten by sea monsters waiting for them indoors after hours of perfect gameplay.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 21, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s no way I would tell somebody not to play the game because of the bugs. I experienced a bunch of bad ones but it was fine because I just restored a save. I would tell them to stay away from the permadeath mode, though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Fallom posted:

There’s no way I would tell somebody not to play the game because of the bugs. I experienced a bunch of bad ones but it was fine because I just restored a save. I would tell them to stay away from the permadeath mode, though.

Yeah, definitely. It's definitely one of my favourite games I've played (ever).

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Zack Ater posted:

but my thalassophobia is still going strong .

I remember thinking that I was fine with this, until I spent the entire game immediately diving to the ocean floor when I went anywhere.

Travelling on the surface.

Not even once.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fallom posted:

I experienced a severe, game breaking bug that took over an hour to properly identify and deal with and I'd still recommend the game to people. It's an incredible, unique gaming experience that's easily good enough to overlook whatever shortcomings it might have even if the dev team really should have dealt with a lot of them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd agree with that! Subnautica's a great game, even if not a fabulous software product. Other games which are more borderline in their fun have much lower tolerance levels for jank, if that makes sense?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Subnautica is one of the most amazing games I've played in 35 years of gaming, and there is absolutely nothing within it that should keep anyone from not playing it, including every and any bug or glitch it may contain, the vast majority of which will never rear their head in any one person's playthroughs.

I get that there's one person in this thread who has PTSD because of their extremely unlucky experiences, but they are one in a million in terms of players of this game, likely even moreso now that the game is in its pretty much finished state, rather than their early access experiences.

Subnautica is not a bad game, it is a good game, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong, even if they may feel they are correct in making that statement.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fallom posted:

i could absolutely not recommend subnautica based on my experience. between losing six hours of progress when the game decided that a save and quit didn't include the 'save' part, a giant, immovable, permanent invisible mystery object loving up the bridge of my cyclops and causing it to flip out occasionally while driving it, losing a seamoth to pop-in, losing another to a cyclops glitch, falling out of the cyclops multiple times, i've never in my life had an experience as hosed-up as the one i had with subnautica. my favorite game ever is morrowind, my favorite game from the past decade is kerbal space program, so i clearly have a really goddamn high tolerance for bugs, but this game totally broke me.

and these weren't early access or launch issues. i played it a year after launch, like even at launch there would be no excuse for this poo poo but a full year worth of patches later? gently caress that. maybe someday i'll revisit it and maybe it'll be a better time, because i really, truly love the concept of this game, like a lot, but it fought me the entire way through my single playthrough and it completely soured me on it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd definitely recommend Subnautica based on my experience, but I was lucky that my bugs weren't overly gamebreaking, and I can understand why someone would not want to.

It's pretty awful form for the devs to leave a game as popular and beloved in this state and move on, especially when the issues are so reproducable and ubiquitous.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I would definitely recommend subnatuica as it is one of my favourite games but I would only recommend it on PC. That way if you are unlucky with bugs they are easier to fix.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

your reactions to people having extremely legitimate complaints over the massive, massive issues this game had and continues to have are completely loving insane.

people wouldn't still be talking about what a buggy piece of poo poo subnautica was at launch nearly 3 years later if it wasn't still a buggy piece of poo poo.

This post is full of venom towards me personally and really, really short on details of a game build from 3 years ago that I requested? I don't appreciate personal insults based on mocking mental illness either, if you absolutely have to resort to personal insults perhaps you could focus on my taste or something else less contentious? Thanks buddy.

The discussion of launch-specific bugs doesn't really strike me as premium discussion material for page 272 of a 4 year old thread. Furthermore, I dispute your rationale for folks "still talking about" the game. I think the reasons folks still discuss Subnautica isn't because of the bug gradient on builds but is probably more to do with the non-buggy parts of the game. It's a fun game! With a unique premise and fun history!

I really keep coming back to the complete lack of guns and intentionally setting up the focus away from combat. It'd be super easy to give you a gun and "shoot 8 stalkers to get teeth!" but forcing you to notice them playing with scrap metal and having teeth naturally generate like that is so much slicker.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

JawnV6 posted:

The discussion of launch-specific bugs doesn't really strike me as premium discussion material for page 272 of a 4 year old thread. Furthermore, I dispute your rationale for folks "still talking about" the game. I think the reasons folks still discuss Subnautica isn't because of the bug gradient on builds but is probably more to do with the non-buggy parts of the game. It's a fun game! With a unique premise and fun history!

Most of the bugs people are talking about are still present in the game.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I need to go back and keep playing the game. I was just on my way to building my first sub I think? I'm on a PS4, and I wish below Zero would come out :(. I want more of this game to play this cold winter on my new PS5 and new 4k tv

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

All I wonder is why you wouldn't save during 6 hours of gameplay

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Faffel posted:

All I wonder is why you wouldn't save during 6 hours of gameplay

It's an entirely autosaved game

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

ikanreed posted:

It's an entirely autosaved game

That only empowers my question. But googling implies it always had saving from the menu? I don't really remember since it's been quite a while since I played but I thought I remember mashing the save button constantly while playing Subnautica, because I was scared.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 23, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

JawnV6 posted:

This post is full of venom towards me personally and really, really short on details of a game build from 3 years ago that I requested? I don't appreciate personal insults based on mocking mental illness either, if you absolutely have to resort to personal insults perhaps you could focus on my taste or something else less contentious? Thanks buddy.

I really keep coming back to the complete lack of guns and intentionally setting up the focus away from combat. It'd be super easy to give you a gun and "shoot 8 stalkers to get teeth!" but forcing you to notice them playing with scrap metal and having teeth naturally generate like that is so much slicker.

What exactly is your point here, that people shouldn't talk about how buggy the game is because it's fun and unique? "Premium discussion material"-- poo poo, sorry for boring you, everyone will try to do better.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sometimes you're just chilling as you're basbuilding or doing inventory shuffling or other stuff. You can also just alt-tab out for a bit. I can totally see somehow losing 6 hours if they've not yet learned the lesson the hard way.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I think Subnautica is fun and unique, but it's also buggy enough that I never play it Ironman or without the console. I'd like if it had periodic autosaves and games took up more than one slot, too. It's a good game. Not a great one, I think, but solid fun that I can drag out every now and then and lose a weekend or two on before shelving it for a few months.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

When there is no BZ news to talk about this thread exists purely to relitigate issues of bugs in the game or if there should be a map or not. Since the current round of bug talk is getting long in the tooth, I'd just like to say that actually I think there shouldn't be maps in the game and its good that there are not maps in the game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well I disagree so there.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I lost a save when I just got to the last, deepest area and the game was good enough that I replayed it and still enjoyed it again.

It may be janky, but it is still one of my top favourite games of all time.

LOL at the idea of playing it with permadeath though.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Wrr posted:

I'd just like to say that actually I think there shouldn't be maps in the game and its good that there are not maps in the game.

There should be a large room you can build that combines the data from all of the scanner rooms you have running, and it should let you zoom in and out and move the hologram around.

Also you should be able to craft a dang clock.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A map room in your base would be super cool tbh.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

A map room in your base would be super cool tbh.

oh man...wait until i tell you about the scanner room! :derp:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know their terraforming stuff wasn't ultimately relevant to the game it ended up being, and also seemed to cause a lot of issues program-wise, but underwater-terraforming-subnautica-minecraft is something I think I'd be into. I built a lot of needlessly elaborate bases and structures just because it was fun. Throw me some Terraria style NPCs to live in my sweet bases all jazzed up with plants and posters and redundant aquariums. Gonna need some water-ranching tools and systems too I suppose. Subnautica-Stardew-Minecraft, is that too much to ask?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

Also you should be able to craft a dang clock.

And a thermometer. I hate needing to get into a vehicle to tell how hot something is.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Isn't the only time it's relevant is 'Argh im burning!' and for placing thermal generators, which have a meter on them?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Isn't the only time it's relevant is 'Argh im burning!' and for placing thermal generators, which have a meter on them?
I could understand it for thermal generators because even if the pre-build outline turns "Green=good!", it can still be a pretty poo poo amount of heat power if you are not building it right by a heat source or in lava land. And unless they changed something, doesn't the meter only exists after you build it fully? So stopping to check inside your ride is still less awkward than building it, seeing the meter on the generator, then dismantling it.

Right by a volcano vent or by lava, green instead of yellow.
Kinda lukewarm rather than cold, green.
Inside an alien base, green. Though that last one you should clearly know better than to trust the color coding :v:

They already make you install a compass chip, might as well let you upgrade the compass.

Honestly it is something that would only be a potential hurdle for a first time player, rather than old hands at the game. "Oh boy, I got more thermal power for my new outpost, that's always great!... Why is my power supply more strained than expected?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 24, 2020

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

The discussion of launch-specific bugs doesn't really strike me as premium discussion material for page 272 of a 4 year old thread.

i played subnautica for the first time this september and they just released a brand new patch!

and it was still a buggy mess that tainted my closing thoughts on the game.

still a great idea for a game and the execution is almost there to make it an all time great!

people talk about the game because its memorable. but to pretend its not a buggy mess is to deny reality

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

oh man...wait until i tell you about the scanner room! :derp:

No I mean a room that makes an entire map of the world that is populated by you traveling around. Not as much detail as the scanner room provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm pretty sure I've seen a mod for that