Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

friendly 2 da void posted:

Just wanna say this is fascinating stuff and IMHO you should pitch it to a media outlet

It's known. I didn't go rifling through drawers in City Hall or filing FOIA requests or anything- half of this is literally taken from news coverage of Seacoast real estate transactions. Basically, when people look to start a church, they make a business plan. That plan often includes real estate investment, including in commercial. Seacoast is just an especially successful example, in a state/region with especially poor zoning regulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's known. I didn't go rifling through drawers in City Hall or filing FOIA requests or anything- half of this is literally taken from news coverage of Seacoast real estate transactions. Basically, when people look to start a church, they make a business plan. That plan often includes real estate investment, including in commercial. Seacoast is just an especially successful example, in a state/region with especially poor zoning regulation.

To be quite honest, I had no goddamn idea there were franchise chain churches until I read this thread and it’s freaking me out. It may be known locally because of the impact it has on the area, but I doubt the greater population of the country has no idea that the local mega church is just Subway with a cross. It really is fascinating and horrifying at the same time. Your example in particular is really something. Resident Evil’s “a horrible, shady corporation owns literally the entire town” concept doesn’t seem so far fetched now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bloodysabbath posted:

To be quite honest, I had no goddamn idea there were franchise chain churches until I read this thread and it’s freaking me out.

Yeah, they've been at it for awhile now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

bloodysabbath posted:

To be quite honest, I had no goddamn idea there were franchise chain churches until I read this thread and it’s freaking me out. It may be known locally because of the impact it has on the area, but I doubt the greater population of the country has no idea that the local mega church is just Subway with a cross. It really is fascinating and horrifying at the same time. Your example in particular is really something. Resident Evil’s “a horrible, shady corporation owns literally the entire town” concept doesn’t seem so far fetched now.

I’m verysick and can’t ecplain atm but in this case. The franchise thing is very publicly known the real state investments are not.

Edit look up “telechurch”

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah, they've been at it for awhile now.

the catholic church is kind of the exact opposite of franchising though

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

I mean company towns have been a thing since at least coal mining existed, and I'm sure earlier concepts existed like it. Umbrellas almost better since they didn't invent their own currency

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

I mean colonies have been a thing since at least coal mining existed, and I'm sure earlier concepts existed like it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

the catholic church is kind of the exact opposite of franchising though

yeah it's the in-n-out burger of religion

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can buy everything you need to start a church nowadays, right down to the sermons. Which is why every Evangelical pastor has the same god-damned story about buying their elementary school sweetheart 16 packs of juicy fruit because the pastor only had $4 and gum was 15 cents a pack.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Juciy fruit is terrible value, they lose their flavor in ten seconds.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I guess Big Red is only good for fornicatiors?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RandomPauI posted:

You can buy everything you need to start a church nowadays, right down to the sermons. Which is why every Evangelical pastor has the same god-damned story about buying their elementary school sweetheart 16 packs of juicy fruit because the pastor only had $4 and gum was 15 cents a pack.

What's the moral of this story?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember, probably something about quality over quantity. Jesus karioke don't come cheap after all.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

adhuin posted:

You making and selling laptop stands?
It's free market, goonluck.

Company who basically owns e-commerce in US and leverages that to capture another market segment?
Abuse of dominant market position. Very anti-competition.

I Hope that helps.

What about generic foods and super markets?

How are they abusing their position? Anyone can do what amazon does.

Would we hold brick and mortar stores accountable for having their own trucks to deliver products?

Magius1337est fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 5, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Whoa hell Yeah let's do this again

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Magius1337est posted:

They absolutely are, that's why laws are discussed in the EU to protect smaller suppliers (that will probably go nowhere, but it shows there's a problem).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

Would we hold brick and mortar stores accountable for having their own trucks to deliver products?

Thank you for responding to this 34 day old post that spawned a multiple page derail. With the exact same question about supermarket brands that was already asked and answered several times already!
Really a great thing you've done here. :tipshat:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FCKGW posted:

Thank you for responding to this 34 day old post that spawned a multiple page derail. With the exact same question about supermarket brands that was already asked and answered several times already!
Really a great thing you've done here. :tipshat:

Don't post-shame.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Don't post-shame.

why not

what's even the point of this website if you can't post-shame

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Don't post-shame.

This was never a rule of the thread.

So if you enforce it now, that makes it an expressed ex post facto post-post-shaming post.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Lampert is trying to skate on the pension liabilities.

Choice quote from the former CEO of sears canada.

quote:

Sears could have regained its feet up until 2005, after five years of being poorly run by Alan Lacy, whose crowning act was turning it over to Lampert, said Mark Cohen, the former CEO and chairman of Sears Canada and current director of retail studies at Columbia University's business school.

In Cohen's view, Lacy is the real villain in the once mighty retailer's demise, while Lampert is "just a financial pirate."

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
JC Penney will cease selling appliances by the end of the month.

Furniture will be sold online only as well soon.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know how some things are called "Natural Monopolies"? I wonder if a less extreme version of that logic isn't part of whats happening with the death of malls. I understand that things like brand loyalty and people being saps for good marketing keeps at least some variation going. But I look at my local mall with it's dozens of Identical clothing stores and I wonder how they can share the same demo's without spreading the customer base too thin. I get that there's different genres of clothing store, but so many sell the exact same "image" that I wonder if malls simply reached a point where there weren't enough warm bodies to support two of the more or less same store next to each other.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

galagazombie posted:

You know how some things are called "Natural Monopolies"? I wonder if a less extreme version of that logic isn't part of whats happening with the death of malls. I understand that things like brand loyalty and people being saps for good marketing keeps at least some variation going. But I look at my local mall with it's dozens of Identical clothing stores and I wonder how they can share the same demo's without spreading the customer base too thin. I get that there's different genres of clothing store, but so many sell the exact same "image" that I wonder if malls simply reached a point where there weren't enough warm bodies to support two of the more or less same store next to each other.

Yes and no, it's a little more complicated.

I think it's accurate to say that malls are a form of natural localized monopolies. There is a high barrier to entry (building the goddamn thing) and positive network externalities (by gathering a cluster of stores within walking distance). Once the mall is established, having a business outside of the mall becomes significantly more difficult as the consumer can drive to the mall and browse several stores in a very short time-frame. In this way malls effectively monopolize huge chunks of consumer demand and retail space demand within a limited geographical area. The only real way to compete for a long time was by building a larger mall or one within a shorter distance.

This also plays into why malls are dying, because the internet has all the advantages that malls had times 11.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember hearing about how Chinese shopping districts have stores that sell exactly the same products even in super specific niches (like say, military surplus uniforms) all clustered together, and it makes sense with some thought; if people want to buy, say, a shirt, they're going to go to the place with the most shirt stores, and if they can't find what they want in one store they can go to the other one right next to it. If you have a shirt store on its own somewhere, people are less likely to go there when with the same or a little more effort they can go to the mall where the other shirt stores are and get more options in both product variety and prices.

I get the impression most of the dying malls were in marginal districts in the first place, and it didn't take a lot of lost business to enter a death spiral.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

This also plays into why malls are dying, because the internet has all the advantages that malls had times 11.

How much of this is also due to the average person getting a bit poorer each year, as the cost of living continues rising but inflation-adjusted wages stay the same?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

How much of this is also due to the average person getting a bit poorer each year, as the cost of living continues rising but inflation-adjusted wages stay the same?

That applies to almost every part of the retail sector though, not specifically malls.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

QuarkJets posted:

It's also laziness. Driving to the mall, circling for parking, dealing with crowds, etc seems like a lot more work than just putting the item I want into google.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember hearing about how Chinese shopping districts have stores that sell exactly the same products even in super specific niches (like say, military surplus uniforms) all clustered together, and it makes sense with some thought; if people want to buy, say, a shirt, they're going to go to the place with the most shirt stores, and if they can't find what they want in one store they can go to the other one right next to it. If you have a shirt store on its own somewhere, people are less likely to go there when with the same or a little more effort they can go to the mall where the other shirt stores are and get more options in both product variety and prices.

I've gone, it's not as crazy as it sounds. It's more like, a market anywhere would have but long established enough that people have buildings instead of tents or tables.

Like you've gone to a farmers market, where 8 guys are selling carrots, and 4 people are selling cheese (and one guy sells both carrots and cheese) and everything everyone sells is kinda on an overlapping spectrum all bunched together. It's that, but they also have an entire small store of that stuff as well as the tables out front.

And like, stuff is grouped reasonably, so there is a street that just sells silverware and that sounds crazy, having a whole street that just has stores that just sell silverware, but it's really an alley off a street that sells cookware so it's basically like just the "silverware department" at sears or something where stuff is roughly grouped in a way a single owner store would have grouped it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well you can haggle in a lot of countries too so having the same thing just means they might have the same item but you can haggle the price down. There’s a reason why almost any retail clothing store has perpetual coupons/sales, cause nobody wants to go to malls to buy poo poo.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Well you can haggle in a lot of countries too so having the same thing just means they might have the same item but you can haggle the price down. There’s a reason why almost any retail clothing store has perpetual coupons/sales, cause nobody wants to go to malls to buy poo poo.

About 5-10 years ago JC Penny tried to do away with the discount and sale bullshit.

It cratered their sales. People absolutely want to be lied to and told the $20 shirt they're buying for $30 is really a $50 shirt.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Xae posted:

About 5-10 years ago JC Penny tried to do away with the discount and sale bullshit.

It cratered their sales. People absolutely want to be lied to and told the $20 shirt they're buying for $30 is really a $50 shirt.

I read about that; genuinely made me sad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
People loving love thinking they got a great deal

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Proud Christian Mom posted:

People loving love thinking they got a great deal

Well in some ways you do. The idiot full price shoppers are subsidizing the discount/coupon shoppers.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hand Row posted:

Well in some ways you do. The idiot full price shoppers are subsidizing the discount/coupon shoppers.

I don't think they're selling to discount shoppers at a loss. If anything, everyone ends up paying more than they would in a world where coupons/this type of behavior didn't exist.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Not at a loss but at a lower margin. Like overall a company needs 50% margin. The full price purchasers buy at say 60% margin, so the company can drive low margin purchasers with steeper discounts at 40% margin or whatever. While JC Penney tried just saying hey here’s 50% margin for all instead of starting at 60.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
It seems the people who act like customers are bad for wanting discounts are grossly mistaken. Did not this store advertise itself as the place with all the special complicated sales for many decades? Even if the prices were truly less after the change, it's no surprise that destroying your main identifier is bad for the brand. It seems that only this sale gimmick differentiated the store from similar chain. Plus, once you break the "sales" attitude which had occasional true deals, it is easy to see why customer get spooked away from perception store will move to flat out raise the prices, is it not? You already change one major pillar of store, how can you keep the trust?

Reminds of the New Coke debacle!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Invalid Validation posted:

Sure, I guess I just mean it seems weirder on paper to hear "there is a street they sell nothing but goldfish!" than to see it and realize it's basically just a market that happens to have fixed permanent buildings.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s psychological, you’re more likely to buy something if you think you’re getting a good deal. And since wages have stagnated for decades everyone is poor as poo poo and won’t buy full priced even if the price is what it would be during a sale cause we’re all fuckin poor and need deals to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I've gone, it's not as crazy as it sounds. It's more like, a market anywhere would have but long established enough that people have buildings instead of tents or tables.

Like you've gone to a farmers market, where 8 guys are selling carrots, and 4 people are selling cheese (and one guy sells both carrots and cheese) and everything everyone sells is kinda on an overlapping spectrum all bunched together. It's that, but they also have an entire small store of that stuff as well as the tables out front.

And like, stuff is grouped reasonably, so there is a street that just sells silverware and that sounds crazy, having a whole street that just has stores that just sell silverware, but it's really an alley off a street that sells cookware so it's basically like just the "silverware department" at sears or something where stuff is roughly grouped in a way a single owner store would have grouped it.

A mall I went to a mall in Bangkok that was like that. Every floor was basically a department so you just went to the clothing floor or the electronics floor for all the shops selling that. I thought it would make browsing around less interesting, but it was actually nice because you could just skip the makeup/soap section instead of having to walk past a Sephora and the Lush and the Bath and Bodyworks to get to what you wanted.