Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

After two plays I put our copy on the for trade pile. We may try it again with another first but it wasn’t as awesome as I expected.

I would definitely at least get some breathing room past the five mission tutorial.

Part of the problem is this is a dear friend I see rarely. So we'll play Gloomhaven once every six months or so, and while it's fun it isn't the same as having a monthly "Gloomhaven day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm done with the Bighavens until they get the binder books or the campaigns are fully implemented on the Steam version. Small haven is pretty sweet though and I'd happily buy a few more of those or expansion stuff for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Jagged Earth back in stock for $43 for anyone looking.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/295435

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone picked up Iron Clays recently? They apparently handle sales through backerkit and I can't tell if it just says "preorder" because backerkit or if they actually are out of stock and I'm ordering a new printing--there's no date listed

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I'm done with the Bighavens, I'm not even interested in the map books for them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want a tiny haven, that takes place in a tiny town.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I love bighavens a lot, and frosthaven will be awesome. There's a place for that kind of game, and it's awesome at it.

However, my completely uneducated guess is that it may be the last bighaven made for a while. I am kind of expecting more smallhavens in the future. And I am frankly expecting more bookhavens too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"Surely I will have played enough of Gloomhaven that by the time I get Frosthaven, my purchase will be justified"

- Me, a idiot

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i played so much gloomhaven in 2019 and then the pandemic hit and one of the regulars in my group had to move back to denmark. fuckin' sucks.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Honestly, you might get more out of Frosthaven if you don’t burn yourself out on Gloomhaven first!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 22, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Morpheus posted:

"Surely I will have played enough of Gloomhaven that by the time I get Frosthaven, my purchase will be justified"

- Me, a idiot

If it weren't for covid, this would have 100% been true for me and my GH crew. Instead now it hasn't been played AND I'm moving in a few months and have no idea who I will end up gaming with in a new city.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Stickman posted:

Honestly, you might get more out of Fristhaven if you don’t burn yourself out on Gloomhaven first!
FH is going to be a better game than GH. It's definitely not going to be smaller or simpler by any stretch, but it'll be better - better balanced, more interesting, and with a more compelling campaign structure. I'm not just blowing smoke; I'm playtesting it, and impressed.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Better balanced isn't a very high bar in this case

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the class design for the FH classes looks absolutely insane and I am all the way in on those.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

My group is the exact target market for FH. We played weekly Gloomhaven for almost two years straight, until we essentially exhausted it around the end of 2018. So for us, it's been long enough that we're hyped as hell to go all in on FH.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
My group died 3 times either in the first or second room of the first map. One person literally never made it out of the first room in 5 games. That player aside, it almost always came down to catastrophically and hilariously bad damage draws, followed by card exhaustion.

I lost all will to set it up after that. Still have it, and all the little organizer stuff I pre bought for it.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I am impressed that the official digital version of the game takes the same amount of time for a mission as physical.

After I play through Jaws of the Lion, I'll know how I feel about the series physically as a whole. My immediate thought is hoping there's a second small box, harvesting the classes to use for small box stuff, and donating the rest of the bits of the big boxes to rpg people.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

fischtick posted:

My group died 3 times either in the first or second room of the first map. One person literally never made it out of the first room in 5 games. That player aside, it almost always came down to catastrophically and hilariously bad damage draws, followed by card exhaustion.

How? Seriously unless you literally pulled null/-2 for over half of your draws that doesn't seem possible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

How? Seriously unless you literally pulled null/-2 for over half of your draws that doesn't seem possible.

If someone runs into melee and dies immediately, it doesn't take that much bad luck to drag down the remaining players who are now fighting an extra player's worth of enemies for the rest of the mission.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Straight White Shark posted:

If someone runs into melee and dies immediately
then they chuck out a card and keep going.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

FH is going to be a better game than GH. It's definitely not going to be smaller or simpler by any stretch, but it'll be better - better balanced, more interesting, and with a more compelling campaign structure. I'm not just blowing smoke; I'm playtesting it, and impressed.

what are the chances my hirst arts floor tiles
will be reusable for frosthaven? totally different map tile shapes?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Eraflure posted:

Better balanced isn't a very high bar in this case
lol, nope, not a very high bar indeed.

jarofpiss posted:

what are the chances my hirst arts floor tiles
will be reusable for frosthaven? totally different map tile shapes?
This is a thing I cannot answer, sorry.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
There have been some sample scenarios shown, could look those up

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

fischtick posted:

I lost all will to set it up after that. Still have it, and all the little organizer stuff I pre bought for it.

It really sounds like you got some of the rules wrong. Did you all start chucking cards to prevent damage? And were you all playing at the right difficulty level?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The difficulty level fuckup is a fun one because it sneaks up on you and doesn't start hurting until a few scenarios in.

Making the monsters move and attack AND do what is on their cards is another good one that leads to early wipes.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

alkanphel posted:

It really sounds like you got some of the rules wrong. Did you all start chucking cards to prevent damage? And were you all playing at the right difficulty level?

The first time we may have gotten move/ attack wrong. It was a while ago, but I think the rest came down to a tank trying to play like a tank and a tinkerer with ptsd from the first game pretty much hiding in the corner all the time. Plus the worst card draws of our gaming career.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fischtick posted:

The first time we may have gotten move/ attack wrong. It was a while ago, but I think the rest came down to a tank trying to play like a tank and a tinkerer with ptsd from the first game pretty much hiding in the corner all the time. Plus the worst card draws of our gaming career.

I mean that just sounds like you guys were just really bad at the game rather than the game being bad. There was another post in this thread somewhere about GL where someone in their play group absolutely refused to take damage so consequently lost all the time. Sounds exhausting to play with.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fischtick posted:

If you ever decide to pick it back up, I'm happy to give some tips.

The first scenario is kind of a boot camp. Once you learn the basics of GH tactics, it's very easy, but that first room is intended as a wake up call.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's no shame in playing on easy. You'll probably get into the swing of the game and eventually decide that's not challenging enough, but imo easy is the best way to start, especially if you're having problems.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Close to 100% of people who I've encountered who have been getting murdered like that in the first scenarios were calculating the group/scenario level incorrectly and/or putting the wrong number or type of enemies in the scenario.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will always remember my first go at GH scenario 1, diving headfirst into all the enemies and paying dearly for it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

SettingSun posted:

I will always remember my first go at GH scenario 1, diving headfirst into all the enemies and paying dearly for it.

Yep, we had to reset after a few rounds of GH Scenario 1, when the Brute said "I'm a tank!" and then managed to get stabbed a lot, for a lot, round one.

Okay, that was a learning exercise, let's avoid getting hit now...

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CommonShore posted:

Close to 100% of people who I've encountered who have been getting murdered like that in the first scenarios were calculating the group/scenario level incorrectly and/or putting the wrong number or type of enemies in the scenario.

Beginner Gloomhaven mistakes are almost always one or more of the following:

1. Miscalculating the scenario level and playing at a way higher difficulty than appropriate.

2. Misunderstanding how enemies move/attack, not realizing that monsters only move and/or attack if it explicitly says so on their action card for that turn.

3. Using the unlockable class action cards instead of the basic player action decks (but this tends to make a scenario way easier, so probably not the case here).

4. They are actually playing Descent.

It's possible they just all ran in like it's a hack-and-slash game of Vermintide or something. The first scenario can actually be kind of brutal if you don't realize that most of the player characters are fairly fragile, and even the "tank" classes aren't built to take sustained hits from multiple enemies. (Well, except that one... but it's not unlocked at the beginning.)

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

I mean that just sounds like you guys were just really bad at the game rather than the game being bad. There was another post in this thread somewhere about GL where someone in their play group absolutely refused to take damage so consequently lost all the time. Sounds exhausting to play with.

Bad players can make a good game bad, and a bad game horrible. I pass no judgement on GH being good or bad. The other players have since found solace in like a half-dozen different versions of Clank! and I'd much rather play something like AFFO if it's gonna take me a while to setup.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Gloomhaven is not designed or balanced well. It coasts on having the Battlecon card play and lots of classes. Lots of design decisions that collapse upon each other under the weight of Dungeon crawl feature creep

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm getting dangerously close to buying Sidereal Confluence, please help

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

You deserve it. Even if it's currently impossible to get to the table for most people

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

grate deceiver posted:

I'll trade you 5 cubes for it, but I'll need two turns for that fifth cube.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Do it, buy the cube game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Trade me some fuckin cubes lmao