Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
can you fit a toddler in an empty Oath box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No but a Capybara could happily sit in it

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Absolutely breaks my heart that I have no one in my life who would play Oath, Pamir, or John Company with me. My favorite games I’ll never play :(

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, Oath is a really beautiful production (and a big table hog).

dunno if I've said it before but your photography is fantastic

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Just picked up The King Is Dead 2nd edition on a whim. Impressed by how easy it is to learn (my wife managed to despite being exhausted from 2nd Covid vaccine side effects) and how brain burn-ey it can be despite this (my wife managed her usual AP... despite being exhausted from 2nd Covid vaccine side effects). Lovely little game.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jewmanji posted:

Absolutely breaks my heart that I have no one in my life who would play Oath, Pamir, or John Company with me. My favorite games I’ll never play :(

You know you can introduce new people to your life, right. Though i guess I'm blessed to have numerous boardgame clubs w/in a stone's throw of me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

You know you can introduce new people to your life, right. Though i guess I'm blessed to have numerous boardgame clubs w/in a stone's throw of me.

Not the OP, but I usually don't like playing games with strangers

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Just picked up The King Is Dead 2nd edition on a whim. Impressed by how easy it is to learn (my wife managed to despite being exhausted from 2nd Covid vaccine side effects) and how brain burn-ey it can be despite this (my wife managed her usual AP... despite being exhausted from 2nd Covid vaccine side effects). Lovely little game.

We’ve started playing it after hearing it influenced Pax Pamir. Honestly I’ve had trouble wrapping my head around the strategic space in spite of the minimal rules. There are just so many possible outcomes, especially with the advanced cards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Slimy Hog posted:

Not the OP, but I usually don't like playing games with strangers

Do you have a local place to hang out and watch others play? That way you could see people you might like to play with. All the people I enjoy playing with were strangers at one point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The King is Dead is really something. It might have the highest impact per decision of any game I’ve played since you literally only take 8 actions total (plus passing). Every single choice you make is critical and it is delicious. The only thing that I can think of that comes close to that feel for a single decision is starting an auction in Chex.

Also the fact that a 2p game can be done in like 10-15 minutes makes it a great game to play a few times.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Oath is Leder, but Whirligig did just launch the John Company 2nd edition kickstarter (and Pax Pamir 2 reprint)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/john-company-second-edition

Oh yeah, forgot they were two different companies :derp:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

The King is Dead is really something. It might have the highest impact per decision of any game I’ve played since you literally only take 8 actions total (plus passing). Every single choice you make is critical and it is delicious. The only thing that I can think of that comes close to that feel for a single decision is starting an auction in Chex.

Also the fact that a 2p game can be done in like 10-15 minutes makes it a great game to play a few times.

I've had my eye on this since reading the Space Biff review on it a while ago. Happy to hear someone else is fond of it because I've had it in my shopping cart a few times before going "ehhhhh, next time..."

It is current OOS now :(

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Prairie Bus posted:

Those look so good! I can’t wait for my copy in another month.

Where is Oath shipping right now? Man, it feels like my KS pipeline is about to start flowing again with a solid handful of deliveries in the next two months hanging out on container ships.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Do you have a local place to hang out and watch others play? That way you could see people you might like to play with. All the people I enjoy playing with were strangers at one point.

No clue; I moved right before the pandemic so I haven't sought anything like this out. I play a bunch of games with my wife and have a few people I know who would like to play 3+ player game with me (once we're not in full pandemic mode).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FulsomFrank posted:

I grabbed it before it got hyped and went out of print :smugbert:
COVID travel restrictions means I have no one to play it against :negative:

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

If you're in the US GameNerdz has it in stock for $28.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
King is Dead might be the best new-to-me game this year and that includes Spirit Island.

Memnaelar posted:

Where is Oath shipping right now? Man, it feels like my KS pipeline is about to start flowing again with a solid handful of deliveries in the next two months hanging out on container ships.

Oath has shipped in Australia.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Doctor Spaceman posted:

King is Dead might be the best new-to-me game this year and that includes Spirit Island.

Why do you mock me oh Lord?

Breadnought posted:

If you're in the US GameNerdz has it in stock for $28.

Canada but I'm not desperate, or at least I wasn't until people starting chiming in about something I thought was mostly unknown.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
To the poster(s?) who warned me that Arkham Horror LCG gets expensive fast, you were right. But I hate money so... :homebrew:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Sorry for the double post, but a question: I'll be playing through the cycles without the "return to" content, so I can use it as a return to in the future. I would like to use the return to boxes for organization though. Are they packaged in such a way that I can use the box and dividers and just leave the cards in shrink wrap?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Sure, the cards like you say are shrink wrapped so just put them behind the organized cards in the box.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

armorer posted:

Sorry for the double post, but a question: I'll be playing through the cycles without the "return to" content, so I can use it as a return to in the future. I would like to use the return to boxes for organization though. Are they packaged in such a way that I can use the box and dividers and just leave the cards in shrink wrap?

It's possible, but the new player card are in the same shrink sets as the scenario cards so you'll need to open the shrink if you want those. It's extremely easy to keep the cards separated, though: new encounter sets have their own dividers and "return to..." scenario cards have white-on-black set icon that makes them easy to distinguish from the black-on-white set icons on non-"return" cards. I store the "return" scenario cards at the back of their respective scenario sets and they're still very easy to keep separate.

E: Return boxes also have extra dividers for the core box encounter sets that are used in the cycle for people who like having everything in one box. You could also store the opened Return scenario cards at the end the box using those extra dividers until you're ready to use them.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 1, 2021

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does every return box has an Ancient Evils divider then?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yes indeedy :shepicide:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Okay thanks! I would leave all the new cards, whether player or encounter, shrink wrapped. I want to play through any given cycle as it was originally at least once before seeing what the new stuff adds to the mix. It's just that I don't also want to come up with an intermediate storage solution. So, it seems like the boxes will work out well for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Petersen Games April Fools Day project this year is a mini expansion for Cthulhu Wars Duel featuring four independent characters including a Junior Outer Godling who will go to sulk in his own dimension and a Great Old One who is so old he's gone senile. It's available until the 10th and is free with any purchase of CW Duel or the expansion.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Was Cthulhu Wars Duel good? I didn’t really hear much buzz.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Finally an insert without too much construction required

https://www.foldedspace.net/incoming/the-one/

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Morpheus posted:

drat that's a brilliant design.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Morpheus posted:

I'm reminded of someone joking they just dump all of their board games into a big garbage bag.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

Was Cthulhu Wars Duel good? I didn’t really hear much buzz.

It's basically Cthulhu Wars shrunk down to two players and with standees instead of minis. So I assume it's OK, but it got less buzz because a) it's a 2-player only game and b) most CW fans like the big stomping minis.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Dumb question on the topic but could you combine two copies of duel for a 4 player game

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

John Dyne posted:

I'm reminded of someone joking they just dump all of their board games into a big garbage bag.

Oh, you've already seen the Game Sack?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Oh, you've already seen the Game Sack?

That is absolutely beautiful but no, it was a goon in this thread making jokes about it.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Did anybody have opinions on Factory Funner? The Q E folks have it up on kickstarter.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I haven't played Factory Funner but I'm a huge fan of Factory Fun, so I backed the KS so that I could try it out.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

El Fideo posted:

Did anybody have opinions on Factory Funner? The Q E folks have it up on kickstarter.

Factory Funner is harder Factory Fun. It’s very good.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I'm in for Bear Raid on the same KS because I like Ryan Courtney's other games and this sounds cool.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Seeing that they'd let me add on a copy of QE tipped the balance, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
What are people’s thoughts on Tiny Epic Pirates and Dinosaurs? I know some designs have been weak in the past, wondering if they’ve trended upwards.

Also, what are thoughts on Button Shy games? Saw their Kickstarter but wondering if any games stand out.