Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pookel posted:

Is there any way to track actual podcast listeners as opposed to people who have a subscription but don't necessarily listen to the podcast regularly, or at all?

If nothing else he puts it all on YouTube and he has millions of subs. Some of the videos have a lot of views.

Some of them are actually incredibly interesting. Like apparently people kept asking him to have Paul Stamets on so eventually he did. They basically talked about mushrooms for two hours and I just couldn't quit listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

pookel posted:

Is there any way to track actual podcast listeners as opposed to people who have a subscription but don't necessarily listen to the podcast regularly, or at all?

I have him subscribed on youtube, and he was getting 85k watching Shapiro was on it live.
It ranges usually from 12-40k depending on the person being interviewed.
gently caress knows on the podcast after its live.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah his recent podcast with Henry Rollins was also tremendously enjoyable. Hank is an inspiration.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone remember this delicate snowflake who needed a safe space after being called out of comparing the morning after pill to throwing babies into the street?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7OPB8VbJQ

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What was the point of ripping up the notecards? "I'm so darn mad, I'm gonna rip these notecards that are going to thrown away soon anyway!"

Heh, it really shows you how fake these people on TV are. Hugging her seconds after loudly complaining about how horrible she is.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 6, 2019

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If nothing else he puts it all on YouTube and he has millions of subs. Some of the videos have a lot of views.

Some of them are actually incredibly interesting. Like apparently people kept asking him to have Paul Stamets on so eventually he did. They basically talked about mushrooms for two hours and I just couldn't quit listening.

I finally downloaded an episode, the one with Gary Taubes and Stephan Guyenet arguing about the causes of obesity.

I’m pretty sure I know how it’ll go. Joe will accept all of Gary’s anecdata at face value, and Stephan will become exasperated at some point.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Joe Rogan has the ability to be genuinely entertaining and his show is perfectly fine so long as you cherry pick what episodes to listen to. When hes not dealing with some broke-brained idiot, his conversations can be incredibly engrossing.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I used to listen to the JRE a lot 3 or 4 years ago. I stopped after a string of guests where all they seemed to talk about was “hard work” and “grinding” toward your goals like a “motherfucker.”

It’s a fine podcast when he has a good guest on, but I’m not surprised to see he’s had a parade of conservative right wing grifter types on lately given the weird shift into constantly talking about hard work and basically just world fallacy poo poo nonstop.

Just lol at calling Shapiro misunderstood. The only people who don’t understand Shapiro are his own fans that think he’s sincere in his dedication to logic, reason, and the truth.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah I just tried to listen to the latest podcast with Shapiro on and he had the balls to sit there and say just because some of his listeners take what he says and twist it in to alt right hate, it doesn't mean he's an alt right hate monger. Yet that's exactly how he judges Islam, like all those other right wing "slaves to logic". I couldn't listen any further.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zipperelli. posted:

When hes not dealing with some broke-brained idiot, his conversations can be incredibly engrossing.
The problem is he legitimizes those points of view by giving them an ear to listen to.
So for someone that isn't discerning of their media intake, it just sounds like another expertguest he's speaking to. Last week he talked to an astrophysicist so maybe this "race realist" guy has a point...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

FilthyImp posted:

The problem is he legitimizes those points of view by giving them an ear to listen to.

it is unbelievably hard to get this across to people who don't want to hear it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Joe Rogan is popular because he's about as dumb as the average American so he engages with topics on a very relatable level. (That level of dumbness is terrifyingly high incidentally).

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

porfiria posted:

Joe Rogan is popular because he's about as dumb as the average American so he engages with topics on a very relatable level. (That level of dumbness is terrifyingly high incidentally).

While your assertation that Americans are loving dumb as fence-posts is correct, Rogan himself is actually quite intelligent. The mark of a good interviewer is the ability to present everything in a way so that it's understandable by the dumbest of the dumb, which he does well. Listen to the difference in his speaking and conversing between someone like NDT, versus someone like Jack loving Dorsey. Rogan knows that intelligent people aren't paying attention to Jack, so he can talk like your average idiot, but when NDT is on, he actually speaks with a semblance of intelligence.

He's an entertainer. He knows what he's doing and is good at what he does.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I have no idea who Joe Rogan is and I've never listened to him but in my experience, the average American would be way too dumb to put together any kind of show or program where they have to talk legibly and at length about different topics on a regular basis, no matter how dumb or wrong the topics are. They would struggle enough just giving a simple 5 minute presentation about something. That might have something to do with how Trump got elected.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rogan just seems well read and has a great memory/way of linking concepts. I wouldn't say he's really intelligent as much as he is a natural conversationalist. So he has a wide variety of things to draw on, but treats Chariot of the Gods as the same as Brief History of the Universe.

He used to be a regular on a radio morning show in L.A. and almost always it'd be like "well the space race led to advancements in materials and applied theories from physics. Bam, then we got microwaves and velcro! And of course HAARP used that to microdose the population with Flouride-beta which made us more succepible to the media's aggression-wave experiments broadcast by TV stations :2bong:"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Int and Cha are different stats dudes :rolleyes:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Actually they're both dump stats :smug:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Paladin requires CHA though (in the only edition that matters).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Joe Rogan is my favorite meathead psychonaut.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I have no idea who Joe Rogan is and I've never listened to him but in my experience, the average American would be way too dumb to put together any kind of show or program where they have to talk legibly and at length about different topics on a regular basis, no matter how dumb or wrong the topics are. They would struggle enough just giving a simple 5 minute presentation about something. That might have something to do with how Trump got elected.

rogan doesn't talk so much as he agrees with whoever's talking to him, occasionally interrupting to ask if they've ever tried dmt

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only time i've seen him interrupt and correct right wingers is crowder on weed, rubin on construction regulations, and owens on climate change.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've watched very little of Joe Rogan but the one with Crowder, he really hulks out on Crowder and it's loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8QlfsKWEYY

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

bird food bathtub posted:

Paladin requires CHA though (in the only edition that matters).

Doesn't Paladin require charisma to cast spells in like every edition?

trap sprung I guess, I'm a nerd

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Jesus gently caress do yourself a favor and go offline for a year. Joe Rogan is a shitheel, and Trump being elected is symptomatic of a lot of systemic problems, but stop and reread what you wrote and if you don't understand how wholly disconnected you sound then you need to take a real long look in the mirror and go experience the world for a spell.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

I've watched very little of Joe Rogan but the one with Crowder, he really hulks out on Crowder and it's loving hilarious

Going to guess he got a long of angry emails and then backed down.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have no idea about the aftermath but wow he mauled Crowder like an angry bear, an angry stoned bear

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Flesh Forge posted:

Heh, of course it's about pot.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Testekill posted:

Doesn't Paladin require charisma to cast spells in like every edition?

trap sprung I guess, I'm a nerd

My fifth edition Objectivist paladan used charisma as the dump stat. Interacting with others is a fundamental failure of the self.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. He actually came across as actively pissed off against him. I don't think I've ever seen him be as aggressive to anyone else.

And while I totally support weed being legal, it's a shame that that's the one subject that sets him off.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Listened to a random bit and Crowder seems like an arrogant poo poo-for-brains

You tell em', Joe!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

omg, by the end of that video, Crowder is legitimately butthurt about all the playful (albeit dick-y) comments Rogan made of him, and repeatedly called him a bully. Dude is a legit snowflake. And of course, the comments are filled with white knights leaping to defend Crowder's honor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I'm not a fan of Rogan at all but that vid is extremely good poo poo. tbh it's a blueprint for how people SHOULD debate conservatives except I'd encourage more "shut up fuckface"

e: I mean, there is an adequate amount of "shut up fuckface" I guess but more would be better

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean it'd be better if he got so passionate about raking Crowder over the coals for his unpersoning and misgendering of trans people or literally any of his other reprehensible views, all of which are more harmful than being naive and lovely about weed. But yeah brave hero Joe Rogan attacking him on weed is just so inspiring.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't give two shits about weed, I just really enjoyed seeing him smear poo poo all over Crowder's whiny bitch face.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

"Aeris is the dragon of chaos" made me lose it but also gave me some dissonance because I feel like Jorpe would be in the 'Um excuse me it's Aerith' camp.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Feinne posted:

"Aeris is the dragon of chaos" made me lose it but also gave me some dissonance because I feel like Jorpe would be in the 'Um excuse me it's Aerith' camp.

Hell no, you'd never get him to admit directly which spelling he prefers, and fans in both camps would force you to watch hours of unrelated lectures to prove he's actually agreeing with them.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

PJOmega posted:

Jesus gently caress do yourself a favor and go offline for a year. Joe Rogan is a shitheel, and Trump being elected is symptomatic of a lot of systemic problems, but stop and reread what you wrote and if you don't understand how wholly disconnected you sound then you need to take a real long look in the mirror and go experience the world for a spell.

Hmm as a dumb american I'm confused here. Are you saying that americans are not in fact dumb as fence posts?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Related to thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait why would ben be opposed to yelp reviews instead of the FAA